Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

ICAN Carbon Wheels

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

ICAN Carbon Wheels

Old 03-26-17, 04:50 PM
ravenmore

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
They got here. I've got them mounted after a few trips to the bike store to chase down valve extenders and a cassette removal tool. Still need to change brake pads and adjust brakes for the wider rim. I can only tell you they look great and the packaging was extremely well done. Oh and that they appear to be true.

Old 03-27-17, 12:16 AM
ericmerg1

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 99Klein
I would think 86mm would be pretty solid. I bought some Chinese 50mm's late last year and have over 2k on them without any problems. I'm hard on wheels too (and heavy.) I would never consider Chinese carbon bars, but haven't had any wheel problems with people I know/ride with. Hubs are on the cheap side, so be careful which ones you chose (if you have a choice.)
which 50mm? the ican's do you have a pic of bike with them?
Old 03-27-17, 06:49 AM
tronzo86

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD 10

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ravenmore
I ended up pulling the trigger on the 86mm version on Amazon. We'll see how it goes. I have a history of being very hard on wheels which is part of why I went with the 86's - I figure they will be a little more durable especially until I drop some weight (I haven't been riding much the past couple of years). If they work out I'll also get either some 38's or 50's in a few months.

One reason I pulled the trigger is that on some of them I saw a couple of long term reviews where they were still very happy with them. Figure that's a pretty good sign.
Did you end up going with the 86mm ICAN wheelset? What kind of spokes did you end up getting with the build?
Old 03-27-17, 08:55 AM
ravenmore

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by tronzo86
Did you end up going with the 86mm ICAN wheelset? What kind of spokes did you end up getting with the build?
See about two posts up.

Spokes are bladed - not sure what brand they are. Sapims weren't an option - not sure if they make them for this deep of a wheel.

Only one short ride on them so far. They're true. They ride/roll well. Braking isn't anywhere near as good as my aluminum wheels. I'm using the pads that came with them. I might try some other brake pads and see if that helps. I'll put some more miles on them and see how they hold up - time will tell.
Old 03-27-17, 09:58 AM
goenrdoug

Bikes: 2019 Supersix Evo, 2002 Trek 2000

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 273 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 32 Posts
Well, they LOOK sharp as hell.
Old 03-27-17, 10:01 AM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Braking isn't anywhere near as good as my aluminum wheels.
Well, did you buy them to go fast, or to go slow?

Great looking bike.
Old 03-27-17, 07:27 PM
ravenmore

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
Well, did you buy them to go fast, or to go slow?

Great looking bike.
True that. Gracias about the bike - I like it.

Did about 35 miles on them today. Crosswinds are no joke and keep you on your toes. Braking still sucks - can only imagine in wet stuff what they're like. Heard a rattling in the front and at first thought it was a loose spoke. After checking everything a few times over I've come to the conclusion it is the valve extender rattling in the valve hole in the rim. I seem to recall now the same thing happening in my Zipp 404 tubulars back in the day. The wheels seem very stiff side to side - more so than my hand built aluminum wheels. They seem to roll very fast on flats and downhill and hold their speed very well until you hit an incline. Have to admit early impression though is that on any moderate incline they kick you in the balls with the weight.
Old 05-08-17, 11:59 AM
edcomp98

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi Ravenmore. Nice set up. I got the 40mm last year and they are great, no issues. I just ordered the new 55mm and it is a nightmare to put the tires on them. Did you have problems installing the tires on yours? I use the SWorks turbo 700x26c
Old 05-09-17, 03:34 PM
ravenmore

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by edcomp98
Hi Ravenmore. Nice set up. I got the 40mm last year and they are great, no issues. I just ordered the new 55mm and it is a nightmare to put the tires on them. Did you have problems installing the tires on yours? I use the SWorks turbo 700x26c
No and I actually I think I'm using the same tire. They had been on my aluminum wheels for a while though. They went on without any issues really.
Old 05-09-17, 03:54 PM
dksix

Bikes: Basso Luguna, Fuji Nevada

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4261 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 1 Post
See about two posts up.

Spokes are bladed - not sure what brand they are. Sapims weren't an option - not sure if they make them for this deep of a wheel.

Only one short ride on them so far. They're true. They ride/roll well. Braking isn't anywhere near as good as my aluminum wheels. I'm using the pads that came with them. I might try some other brake pads and see if that helps. I'll put some more miles on them and see how they hold up - time will tell.
What brakes are those, can't tell from the pictures? I've used both 6600 and 6800 calipers on my onlycarbonwheel wheels and wouldn't consider the braking to be poor. In fact my braking has been better than I expected from CF wheels. I am on my third set of pads, 2 sets from China and now using a set from Merlin (BBB BBS-25 CarbStop pads). I haven't used the BBB pads in the rain yet but they seem to brake a bit better than the Chinese pads that came with my wheels.
Old 05-09-17, 04:10 PM
noodle soup

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts
Originally Posted by dksix
What brakes are those, can't tell from the pictures? I've used both 6600 and 6800 calipers on my onlycarbonwheel wheels and wouldn't consider the braking to be poor. In fact my braking has been better than I expected from CF wheels. I am on my third set of pads, 2 sets from China and now using a set from Merlin (BBB BBS-25 CarbStop pads). I haven't used the BBB pads in the rain yet but they seem to brake a bit better than the Chinese pads that came with my wheels.
were the original pads the cork type pads?

I've been using cork pads that came with the Workswell wheelset. They work fine when dry, but a little moisture renders them useless.
Old 05-09-17, 04:31 PM
dksix

Liked 4 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by noodle soup
were the original pads the cork type pads?

I've been using cork pads that came with the Workswell wheelset. They work fine when dry, but a little moisture renders them useless.
It was these. I only got caught out in the rain a few times but was surprised how well the brakes worked. Granted, I expected basically no brakes though. I was using Ultegra 6600 calipers to start with and I'm now using 6800 calipers. Also worth noting, I'm inexperienced. I had only ridden 1 road bike prior to building my current bike with the CF wheels. My other bike had whatever kind of pads on a set of Trektro calipers as part of the Claris level group. The 6600 calipers with the Chinese pads on the CF weren't noticeably worse than the Trektro's on aluminum rims, the 6800 calipers with the new BBB pads work even better.

Free shipping carbon rims use brake pads, bike for carbon wheelset 5 pairs/10pcs | eBay

These are the BBB pads I'm using now.
https://www.merlincycles.com/bbb-bbs...ims-62621.html
Old 05-09-17, 07:07 PM
noodle soup

Originally Posted by dksix
It was these. I only got caught out in the rain a few times but was surprised how well the brakes worked. Granted, I expected basically no brakes though. I was using Ultegra 6600 calipers to start with and I'm now using 6800 calipers.
Back around 2010 I was using SwissStop yellow pads on Edge(now ENVE) rims, with 7800 calipers. They worked fine, but it was a noisy setup.

Cork pads are quiet, but they definitely don't perform as well(wet or dry).

I'll probably try SwissStop Black Prince pads, but I wonder if they will tear up the WorksWell hoops.
Old 05-09-17, 07:21 PM
dksix

Liked 4 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by noodle soup
Back around 2010 I was using SwissStop yellow pads on Edge(now ENVE) rims, with 7800 calipers. They worked fine, but it was a noisy setup.

Cork pads are quiet, but they definitely don't perform as well(wet or dry).

I'll probably try SwissStop Black Prince pads, but I wonder if they will tear up the WorksWell hoops.
I have the idea that the CarbStop pads are harder than the Chinese pads are. I've been watching them to see if they are wearing or wearing the rims. So far it seems the pads are wearing about the same as the other pads. Those pads have whined a few times, the Chinese pads never did. The pads I bought from Merlin had all positive ratings and I did email Merlin about them as I wasn't sure if the listing was for a set of 4 or a pair of 2. In the reply the Merlin support person said that they sale a lot of them and had never had a complaint. I was a little short on my free shipping minimum so I thought I'd try those pads. So far no complaints but only have a couple hundred miles on them.
Old 05-11-17, 08:50 AM
edcomp98

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
No and I actually I think I'm using the same tire. They had been on my aluminum wheels for a while though. They went on without any issues really.
thanks again.

An update on my problem. The old 40 mm worked great. On the new 55mm style, the closing must be done by the valve. It took me 5 mins each one. Something to keep in mind. Also I spoke to Chen from Ican Bikes. He kept the communication open and very helpful. The only thing is that since I am in NJ, their time is 12 hours ahead.

This is my second set with them. I am happy with them
Old 04-25-18, 09:02 AM
tagaproject6

Bikes: Wilier Izoard XP (Record);Cinelli Xperience (Force);Specialized Allez (Rival);Bianchi Via Nirone 7 (Centaur); Colnago AC-R Disc;Colnago V1r Limited Edition;De Rosa King 3 Limited(Force 22);DeRosa Merak(Red):Pinarello Dogma 65.1 Hydro(Di2)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 277 Times in 145 Posts
Zombie...arise!!!

Does anyone have the disc brake version of these wheels?
Old 05-24-18, 10:42 AM
superdex
staring at the mountains

Bikes: Obed GVR, Fairdale Goodship, Salsa Timberjack 29

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 197 Times in 112 Posts
Originally Posted by tronzo86
That is good to hear. I pulled the trigger on a 38mm set 24.8mm wide, U-shaped with Sapim CX Ray spokes and initial impressions are good. They were well packaged with lots of padding and came in 7 days from China. I didn't get to take them out for a longer ride but I did take them out for a quick 20 minute spin and they accelerate fast and had absolutely no wheel flex even after some 1300 watt sprints. I had the brake pads set very close to the wheel to test for this. The wider shape had a very supple feel to it. The look huge because of how wide they are but accelerate and climb fast. The claimed weight was 1360 ± 40 grams and they came in at 1406 without rim tape; close enough for me. I hope to get some hard climbing in this next weekend. I will keep this thread updated for anyone who might consider this wheel brand.

How about an update? How are they doing?
Old 05-24-18, 10:53 AM
tronzo86

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD 10

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by superdex
How about an update? How are they doing?
It is probably due for an update. It has been a little over one year and according to Strava, they have done around 4,000 miles. They are still holding the factory true and the braking track still looks brand new. I absolutely love these wheels, They are my every day, every weather wheelset but here in Northern Nevada they do not see a lot of Rain. Only on occasion. No loose or broken spokes to be seen. I am 160 lbs and run the wheels at 80 psi front and rear, I find this to be the most comfortable and fastest rolling for me. and I don't get a lot of flats running the lower pressures. Ummm. I have not run them tubeless yet, but my next set of tires will be tubeless ready. My only complaint is a noisy bearing in the rear hub, so currently I am getting new bearings and will install them once they get here. I hope that is a good enough of an update.
Old 08-10-18, 02:42 AM
sally552

Bikes: Bianchi Oltre XR2 DA9000, ICAN SN04

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I finally bought a new ICAN road wheelset after reading the thread.
It has now been riding 1000+km and it is working fine.
Old 08-10-18, 09:49 AM
Reeses

Bikes: Scott CR1 Pro, Eimei

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nice smurf

My formula hubs are running low on bearings, time for me too to purchase my first alu molded carbon overlay wheels.
Old 08-10-18, 10:23 AM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3233 Post(s)
Liked 2,511 Times in 1,510 Posts
Would those happen to be ICAN CARBON LIGHTWEIGHT WHEELS? Just wondering.
Old 08-16-18, 10:33 AM
noodle soup

Are the decals removable?
Old 08-17-18, 03:43 AM
Ritalalala

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I bought the F&L 40mm wheelset, which is very light, only 820g.
Can be requested without a logo.
Old 08-17-18, 08:20 AM
logical
______

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Ritalalala
I bought the F&L 40mm wheelset, which is very light, only 820g.
Can be requested without a logo.
Wheelset Weight Total: 1403g Front: 619g Rear: 784g

Why is your bike on your bed/couch and all on your pillow? lmao
Old 08-17-18, 08:31 AM
str8jakett
I pedal in my sleep...

Bikes: Giant TCR Advanced 2015, Giant Propel Advanced Pro 2015, Giant TCR Advanced 0 ISP 2008, Cube Cross Race SL 2018, Chapter2 TOA 2022

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 37 Posts
Originally Posted by logical
Wheelset Weight Total: 1403g Front: 619g Rear: 784g

Why is your bike on your bed/couch and all on your pillow? lmao
My bikes would be in my bed too if the wife would allow it. The dog, however, looks pretty annoyed.

Oh and that Merida is hot @sally552!! What handlebar is that?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.