Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > Track Cycling: Velodrome Racing and Training Area
Reload this Page >

Master's Worlds in LA - Where are all the entries?

Search
Notices
Track Cycling: Velodrome Racing and Training Area Looking to enter into the realm of track racing? Want to share your experiences and tactics for riding on a velodrome? The Track Cycling forums is for you! Come in and discuss training/racing, equipment, and current track cycling events.

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-17, 02:43 PM
nslckevin

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 6 Posts

10 days until the registration deadline and the numbers seem kind of low. In my 55-59 scratch race for instance there are 24 riders entered, 16 from the US. The defending champion hasn't entered yet.

I'm thinking that if I was going to fly across an ocean to race I'd know that I was going by now and have entered the race.

Are the Euro's going to mostly skip this? Or is it still to early to draw any conclusions?

Kevin
Old 09-05-17, 06:31 PM
Poppit

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
I think quite a lot of us will be going to the Europeans in Roubaix next week instead of the Worlds.
Old 09-05-17, 07:40 PM
Divebrian

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
How do you find the entries? I looked all over the web site for it and couldn't find a link....found the link on how to register, but not to see who has registered.
Old 09-05-17, 10:01 PM
700wheel

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Divebrian
How do you find the entries? I looked all over the web site for it and couldn't find a link....found the link on how to register, but not to see who has registered.
https://ccnbikes.com/#!/series/uci-m...ld-champs-2017

Click under "Registrant Search"
Old 09-08-17, 08:04 PM
Divebrian

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I finally signed up, had to take a few minutes out of my hurricane evacuation prep to do it. Knew that after the hurricane hit and we were without power, I'd miss the deadline. The current world champion in my class is from the west coast of the US and he hasn't signed up either yet.
Old 09-20-17, 08:51 AM
Divebrian

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't know if you have checked your age group lately, but mine (50-54) blew up the last five days of registration. I signed up with seven days to registration close and there were 13-15 guys signed up in the 200's & 500's. At registration close the numbers exploded to 34 for the 200's and 47 for the 500's. The numbers in the scratch, points and individual pursuit are similar, the podium positions definitely won't be given away like participation medals to those who simply showed up.....that's a lot of competition. Sadly, I won't be on the podium, but I will have fun gaining experience for next year.

Last edited by Divebrian; 09-20-17 at 08:56 AM.
Old 09-20-17, 11:44 AM
Poppit

Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Not many of us Brits entered. BTW it's back in Manchester in 2019 and 2020
Old 10-08-17, 09:06 PM
tobukog

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 14 Posts
Rainbow

Nice ride Kevin!
Old 10-08-17, 09:49 PM
carleton
Elitist

Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Quoted: 1386 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 77 Posts
Originally Posted by tobukog
Nice ride Kevin!
?

Where can we see results?

The results website doesn't have anything yet.
Old 10-08-17, 09:49 PM
700wheel

I watched most of todays (Sunday) races - very enjoyable. I plan to watch the event though next Sunday. Especially since at least 24 riders from my local velodrome are racing.

However I thought the event was a little disorganized at times. The medal presentations at Manchester (and previous Carson events) were more dignified than those today - see https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...DE2C&FORM=VIRE for example.
Old 10-08-17, 09:56 PM
carleton
Elitist

4 hours of streaming here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YeIT...ature=youtu.be
Old 10-08-17, 09:58 PM
carleton
Elitist

Originally Posted by 700wheel
I watched most of todays (Sunday) races - very enjoyable. I plan to watch the event though next Sunday. Especially since at least 24 riders from my local velodrome are racing.

However I thought the event was a little disorganized at times. The medal presentations at Manchester (and previous Carson events) were more dignified than those today - see https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...DE2C&FORM=VIRE for example.
Yeah, the Manchester ceremony is the real deal.
Old 10-08-17, 11:36 PM
carleton
Elitist

Wow. I watched that 4 hr YouTube stream and saw some things I've never seen before:

- A catch in a Team Sprint
- In a 20 lap Scratch, a man take TWO laps AND finish first in the final sprint.

Wow.

Good racing all around.
Old 10-09-17, 06:35 AM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 678 Times in 429 Posts
I could have sworn I saw a guy almost get caught in the 750mm TT too.
Old 10-09-17, 10:50 AM
700wheel

Originally Posted by carleton
This video, along with live streaming from the event, has been blocked on copyright grounds according to both the Worlds site and YouTube site. Hope this situation gets resolved before this afternoons scheduled streaming.
Old 10-09-17, 11:05 AM
carleton
Elitist

This video, along with live streaming from the event, has been blocked on copyright grounds according to both the Worlds site and YouTube site. Hope this situation gets resolved before this afternoons scheduled streaming.
Man. That's a dumb move by the UCI.

- Master(older people with moderate to high-paying jobs and disposable income) pour more money into cycling than any other group.
- Track cycling is a fringe genre of a fringe sport. It needs all of the publicity it can get...especially in the Americas.
- I don't think the stream was being monetized.
- I doubt the UCI would do the same stream now that they have taken down the "rogue" stream.
- This is not how you grow a sport.
Old 10-09-17, 11:07 AM
Divebrian

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wow. I watched that 4 hr YouTube stream and saw some things I've never seen before:

- A catch in a Team Sprint
- In a 20 lap Scratch, a man take TWO laps AND finish first in the final sprint.

Wow.

Good racing all around.
The scratch race was an odd situation. Not saying that his accomplishment wasn’t amazing, but it was different. With three laps to go, there was a crash that neutralized the race and then temporarily suspended it. All the riders were pulled from the track while the medics attended to the injured rider. After the brief intermission, they restarted the race with eight laps to go. There were four off the front when they ended the race and they lined those four up and gave them a 1/2 lap head start......they sprinted and caught the field to gain a lap with two to go and then get to the front for the field sprint. Watching the race live, it was obvious that one or two of the front four were going backwards and would have been caught. The brief break gave everyone a chance to recover and definitely changed the results of the race. It was beneficial to some and detrimental to others.

Before the stoppage there were two guys that had gained a lap and no one else was close enough to gain a lap with three laps left....had the race finished continuously, those two had 1st & 2nd locked up. Once the race restarted, three other guys (that were in the four off the front) gained a lap and now put five a lap up......that was unfair to the original two that gained a lap, but that’s racing. Prayers to the injured rider and hope he came out with only minor injuries....he was down for awhile and taken out on a stretcher.
Old 10-09-17, 11:14 AM
700wheel

Man. That's a dumb move by the UCI.

- Master(older people with moderate to high-paying jobs and disposable income) pour more money into cycling than any other group.
- Track cycling is a fringe genre of a fringe sport. It needs all of the publicity it can get...especially in the Americas.
- I don't think the stream was being monetized.
- I doubt the UCI would do the same stream now that they have taken down the "rogue" stream.
- This is not how you grow a sport.
Three of the blocking entities are music distributers - my guess is that there are objections to the background music.
Old 10-09-17, 11:38 AM
carleton
Elitist

Three of the blocking entities are music distributers - my guess is that there are objections to the background music.
Ah. Then maybe it's an algorithm that kicked in and automatically issued the dispute.
Old 10-09-17, 11:45 AM
rensho3

Bikes: Fuji Elite, 3Rensho track, Trek Madone 6.9, Specialized MTB, GT MTB, Cannondale Cad3 fixie

Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I wish I had watched my races last night before they pulled the plug!
Old 10-09-17, 04:15 PM
700wheel

Streaming is live again . great.
Old 10-09-17, 04:26 PM
nslckevin

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 6 Posts
Ah. Then maybe it's an algorithm that kicked in and automatically issued the dispute.
I think that's the case. I went to watch last year's 55+ races for research and at least a few of them were muted. I once posted a youtube video with a Led Zep song in the back ground and the same happened to me. I can't remember of I was notified and given the option of having it muted or if it was automatic. The UCI or whoever may have an action to take to get the muted version re-enabled.

Frankly I think it's chicken **** for the music companies to do something in this case as it is just music in the background while the announcer is talking. I can see it for my video as the song was the only sound, but in this case I think it's stupid.

Luckily I was able to watch my race last night before it got flagged.

Kevin
Old 10-09-17, 04:56 PM
sarals 
Idiot Emeritus

Bikes: Yes.

Mentioned: 228 Post(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 4 Posts
For those of you interested, the F 60+ 2K was this morning. There were three World Records broken in the race, one was by my close friend and training partner, a 77 y/o women. She was only five seconds slower than my 3:13:257. For me, I PB'ed by over ten seconds, and this was only the third 2K I've ever done in this, my first year of track racing. I was seventh overall. The 500 is my best event, I hope to PB that, too.
Old 10-09-17, 09:20 PM
carleton
Elitist

Originally Posted by sarals
For those of you interested, the F 60+ 2K was this morning. There were three World Records broken in the race, one was by my close friend and training partner, a 77 y/o women. She was only five seconds slower than my 3:13:257. For me, I PB'ed by over ten seconds, and this was only the third 2K I've ever done in this, my first year of track racing. I was seventh overall. The 500 is my best event, I hope to PB that, too.
Congrats! Good luck with the rest of your events!
Old 10-10-17, 08:00 AM
700wheel

I noticed at the Masters WC one masters rider on a Trek road TT frame (complete with derailleur hanger) and at least one rider on a Specialized road TT frame.
I also saw one rider on a Basso frame - perhaps this one https://www.bassobikes.com/bicycles/...sta/pista.html
It is hard to catch some makes of frames on the streaming.

Also there was a strange crash last night: after crossing the finishing line one sprinter rode up the banking and crashed into the rail and then slid down to the apron. He was carted off on a stretcher but he did manage to wave to the gathering

Last edited by 700wheel; 10-10-17 at 09:01 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.