Notices
Pills and Ills This is a discussion subforum for the health challenges faced by riders 50+. These discussions are in no way to be considered professional medical advice.

Rowan

Old 05-15-18, 10:44 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
Rowan Update

Rowan is out of Post Traumatic Amnesia, and is starting quite a lot of rehab now.

BTW - this does not mean that his memory is fully back. What it means is that he is forming new memories. So if we tell him something today ... tomorrow he will remember it. And he is gradually remembering more from the past.

But still waiting to get into the Rehab Unit. Hopefully soon!!

Last edited by Machka; 05-15-18 at 10:51 PM.
Old 05-15-18, 10:56 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4788 Post(s)
Liked 3,913 Times in 2,545 Posts
Originally Posted by Machka
Rowan is out of Post Traumatic Amnesia, and is starting quite a lot of rehab now.

BTW - this does not mean that his memory is fully back. What it means is that he is forming new memories. So if we tell him something today ... tomorrow he will remember it. And he is gradually remembering more from the past.

But still waiting to get into the Rehab Unit. Hopefully soon!!
Yeah!! (Do your best to get him on an exercycle as soon as you can. It might open a lot of memory files. Or it might be the familiar place that is a "time-out" from the non-stop barrage of the new as it was for me.)

Ben
Old 05-15-18, 11:02 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Originally Posted by 79pmooney
Yeah!! (Do your best to get him on an exercycle as soon as you can. It might open a lot of memory files. Or it might be the familiar place that is a "time-out" from the non-stop barrage of the new as it was for me.)

Ben

I'm pretty sure the Rehab Unit has one ... actually I'm hoping they've got two and maybe I can "ride" with him!

Soon, I hope!
Old 05-16-18, 04:58 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

My feet are glad to be home.

Over 14,000 steps today.

But 2000 of those were with Rowan.
Old 05-16-18, 08:24 AM
Dave Cutter

Bikes: '17 Access Old Turnpike Gravel bike, '14 Trek 1.1, '13 Cannondale CAAD 10, '98 CAD 2, R300

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 1571 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
....... if we tell him something today ... tomorrow he will remember it.
In that area.... he may be doing better than myself. But then... I am older than you two. Joking aside... I am so very happy to read of Rowan's progress. You guys will devour this [metaphorical] elephant.
Old 05-16-18, 11:43 AM
jppe
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
Machka-Has Rowan mentioned anything about cycling?
Old 05-16-18, 09:01 PM
2manybikes

Bikes: 2 many

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1266 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 169 Posts
I'm pretty sure the Rehab Unit has one ... actually I'm hoping they've got two and maybe I can "ride" with him!

Soon, I hope!
That would be great ! I hope it happens. I would think him pedaling along next to you would bring back a lot of memories.
Old 05-16-18, 11:38 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Originally Posted by jppe
Machka-Has Rowan mentioned anything about cycling?

Oh yes! Absolutely!

He wants to go for a bicycle ride now ... but he's not ready for that yet. Strength and balance issues. But we're hoping to get onto stationary bikes soon.

He also talks about his bicycles and some of the rides we've done.

I've showed him a Checkpoint Magazine (Audax Australia magazine) with a dual story we contributed about our 400 km randonnee in 2016. I wrote one part, and he wrote the other part. He remembers the ride, or at least parts of it.

He does have some memories ... but his memory is patchy, a little bit here, a little bit there ... and he's missing some words for things or names for things.

It's like IT hasn't finished reconnecting the servers just yet.

Last edited by Machka; 05-17-18 at 05:01 AM.
Old 05-17-18, 12:02 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Rowan Update:
• Rowan is out of Post Traumatic Amnesia. In brief, this mostly means that he is making and retaining new memories. It also means that he can proceed with the various aspects of rehab. It does not mean he has recovered his full memory again.

• Rowan has some issues with his right shoulder - pain and poor range of motion. He has been for X-Rays today and his physiotherapist had a look too. We think he landed on that shoulder in the accident.

• Rowan has something up with his left foot. His physio had a look at that too, and he's got good strength and range of motion, so it might be a nerve issues. He's also having some balance issues if he has to balance on that foot. They'll keep their eye on it.

• Rowan has started working with speech therapy, who cover quite a wide range of things including but not limited to helping Rowan find the right words for things again.

• Still waiting to get into the Rehab Unit. Soon ... we hope!!
Old 05-17-18, 03:03 AM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18349 Post(s)
Liked 4,501 Times in 3,346 Posts
Well, it sounds like things are slowly improving. Well, with great bounds forward.

I suppose you have to deal with one thing at a time.

Keep an eye on the shoulder. Rotator Cuff Surgery? Mom just had a full "reverse" shoulder replacement. Apparently it is a fairly common surgery now for pain and movement issues.

Anyway, one step at a time. Or, perhaps one bite of an elephant.
Old 05-19-18, 05:33 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Rowan Update:
• Rowan is out of Post Traumatic Amnesia. In brief, this mostly means that he is making and retaining new memories. It also means that he can proceed with the various aspects of rehab. It does not mean he has recovered his full memory again.

• Rowan has some issues with his right shoulder - pain and poor range of motion. He has been for X-Rays today and his physiotherapist had a look too. We think he landed on that shoulder in the accident.

• Rowan has something up with his left foot. His physio had a look at that too, and he's got good strength and range of motion, so it might be a nerve issues. He's also having some balance issues if he has to balance on that foot. They'll keep their eye on it.

• Rowan has started working with speech therapy, who cover quite a wide range of things including but not limited to helping Rowan find the right words for things again.

• Still waiting to get into the Rehab Unit. Soon ... we hope!!

No real updates on the above points, except that the X-ray did not show anything wrong with the bones in and around Rowan's shoulder. So it is likely a soft tissue issue. Possibly rotator cuff. Possibly a subluxation. Possibly a shoulder bursa impingement. Anyway, they are aware there's an issue and are starting to treat it.

And we are really hoping Rowan will get into a private room in the Rehab Unit early next week.

Meanwhile, in general, Rowan is coming along well physically. Today, Rowan and I walked 900 metres around the block to look at some of the construction and the Hobart Rivulet which burst its banks and flooded the city last weekend. It wasn't fast, and we did stop a few times to look at things, but it was a good walk.

And apparently he went for a little walk that include stairs this morning too.

The memory side of things is progressing too, but a little slower than the physical side. However, I think that when he gets to the Rehab Unit that might start to progress more as well.

Evidently the Rehab Unit is more "homelike" and offers a bit more freedom to do things. For example, I've been told I should be able to take Rowan out for the afternoon to the park or waterfront or different places. I think that would be really good ... getting us out and doing some of the things we've done before.

So ... really hoping that happens soon.

As for me ... good days and really incredibly stressful days. Ups and downs. And busy ... possibly a bit too busy at times.

Last edited by Machka; 05-19-18 at 05:38 AM.
Old 05-19-18, 05:56 AM
RonH
Life is good

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey Helix Pro

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Really great news. You're both still in my prayers.

I am a cyclist. I am not the fastest or the fittest. But I will get to where I'm going with a smile on my face.
Old 05-19-18, 05:59 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Originally Posted by RonH
Really great news. You're both still in my prayers.

Thank you!

We still have a way to go. We won't know more details on how long until Rowan gets into Rehab and can be assessed more fully, but I'd have to guess at least another month ... maybe more.

But physically, especially, he's surprising people with his advancements.
Old 05-19-18, 07:52 AM
Hondo Gravel
Life Feeds On Life

Bikes: Too many Motobecanes

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 4407 Post(s)
Liked 4,520 Times in 3,022 Posts
Old 05-20-18, 11:00 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

At long last ... Rowan has moved to the Rehab Unit!

He's got a private room with a great view, and we'll explore the facilities in coming days. We'll also have to set up his therapy session schedules too ... or perhaps, they will set them up and let me know. And I'm hoping to be able to set up a visiting schedule that will be a bit easier for me to deal with.

I have also been told that I should be able to take him out for "day trips" so we might start walking longer distances on weekends.

I have absolutely no idea how long he'll be there. No one has said anything to me about that, and I suspect that they'll have to assess him first.

But meanwhile, I'm just glad he's out of the Neuro Ward and main hospital.
Old 05-21-18, 01:54 AM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18349 Post(s)
Liked 4,501 Times in 3,346 Posts
Great to hear about the move and the progress. You've been waiting for this for quite some time.

As far as how long... I would assume there are a few variables such as how much he is benefiting from the continuing therapy, and when you'll be comfortable taking him home.

Day trips may well be part of the transition away from the hospital setting and into the home setting.

It sounds like Rowan has been making excellent progress over the last couple of weeks, and the transition home could be quick.

How is all of this fitting into your schedule? This must be like working 2 or 3 jobs!!! Here in the USA, our Spring term at schools is finishing up shortly. Do you have any breaks coming up soon?

Hopefully you've found a couple of good exercise bikes.

If not, perhaps look at local gym memberships.
Old 05-21-18, 04:28 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Originally Posted by CliffordK
Great to hear about the move and the progress. You've been waiting for this for quite some time.

As far as how long... I would assume there are a few variables such as how much he is benefiting from the continuing therapy, and when you'll be comfortable taking him home.

Day trips may well be part of the transition away from the hospital setting and into the home setting.

It sounds like Rowan has been making excellent progress over the last couple of weeks, and the transition home could be quick.

How is all of this fitting into your schedule? This must be like working 2 or 3 jobs!!! Here in the USA, our Spring term at schools is finishing up shortly. Do you have any breaks coming up soon?

Hopefully you've found a couple of good exercise bikes.

If not, perhaps look at local gym memberships.
He's in the Acute Rehab area so I think there will still be a way to go. Physically he's progressing fairly well, but otherwise he still has a little way to go.

I'm working, going to university, and spending hours at the hospital. Long, long, long exhausting days.

And nope. I don't get breaks. My course will finish in early June, but then I will have to start working more. I'm building up toward working full-time again now. And then ... I'm not sure if I'll be able to take my next course or not.

He'll have access to stationary bikes at the Rehab gym and I've set my bicycle/trainer up with Zwift this weekend.
Old 05-21-18, 06:00 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7648 Post(s)
Liked 3,465 Times in 1,831 Posts
I don't want to take a lot of space here saying what everyone else says ... but now and then i will do exactly that.

Thanks for the updates. Our best energy is headed towards you two. And hearing how far Rowan has recovered so far is very encouraging ... this was a grim thread for a while, now it is a lot more pleasant.

Please take care of yourself ... and everyone here is glad and grateful that you are taking care of Rowan.

be well.
Old 05-21-18, 10:42 AM
nesdog

Bikes: Domane SLR7 Disc

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 39 Posts
Thank you for these updates and the opportunity for your online friends to support you.
Old 05-21-18, 11:19 AM
Heathpack 
Has a magic bike

Bikes: 2018 Scott Spark, 2015 Fuji Norcom Straight, 2014 BMC GF01, 2013 Trek Madone

Mentioned: 699 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4456 Post(s)
Liked 425 Times in 157 Posts
So nice to hear about the move to the Rehab Unit. Sounds like it will be better all-around.

Thanks for the update and be sure to tell Rowan that all his BF friends are thinking about him.

Old 05-21-18, 12:47 PM
berner

Bikes: Specialized Secteur, old Peugeot

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 663 Post(s)
Liked 496 Times in 299 Posts
I've read somewhere or other that our brains consume a very large portion of the total energy available. This means that a stressful day at a desk job can consume as much energy as pick and shovel work. This being so, the trick to managing an ongoing stressful situation that includes family concerns is budgeting/managing available time and energy, just like climbing a long and steep hill. Also necessary is recovery time. I hope you are getting plenty of sleep.
Old 05-22-18, 07:35 AM
Dave Cutter

Bikes: '17 Access Old Turnpike Gravel bike, '14 Trek 1.1, '13 Cannondale CAAD 10, '98 CAD 2, R300

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 1571 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
At long last ... Rowan has moved to the Rehab Unit!
He's got a private room with a great view, and we'll explore the facilities in coming days...............
Great news!
Old 05-22-18, 07:42 AM
Biker395 
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: Serotta Legend Ti; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 944 Post(s)
Liked 1,974 Times in 565 Posts
Awesome. He's doing about as well as anyone could have hoped.

Old 05-22-18, 08:37 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Rowan tells me he rode the stationary bike in the Rehab gym this morning.

I might have to use my trainer & Zwift tomorrow!

As I've mentioned ... physically, he is coming along all right.
Still has right shoulder and left leg issues.
Sill dizzy when initially standing up.
Still tires really easily.
But in general physically he's making progress.

Originally Posted by Heathpack
Thanks for the update and be sure to tell Rowan that all his BF friends are thinking about him.

I did!! He was amazed and thankful!

Originally Posted by berner
I've read somewhere or other that our brains consume a very large portion of the total energy available. This means that a stressful day at a desk job can consume as much energy as pick and shovel work. This being so, the trick to managing an ongoing stressful situation that includes family concerns is budgeting/managing available time and energy, just like climbing a long and steep hill. Also necessary is recovery time. I hope you are getting plenty of sleep.
Rowan is getting quite a bit of rest ... more so now that he's in this Rehab unit. And things do wear him out quite quickly.

Me ... what exactly is this thing you call "sleep"?

Oh wait, I know ... it's what happens when I get on the bus to go home that causes me to nearly miss my stop!
Old 05-22-18, 09:24 AM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
Back on the bike!

Good luck with the Zwifting.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.