Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Drivers’ reactions to clothing/colors.

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-18, 06:04 PM
Matt74

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have two high-vis tees I wear, one lime green and one orange. After months of wearing them it is obvious drivers treat me differently depending on the color - everything else is exactly the same. I live in southern Florida, which has the most aggressive drivers I’ve ever seen. When I wear the green I am constantly getting passed at high speed, deliberately challenged, cut-off, they refuse to yield, etc. When I wear the orange, I almost never have a problem. Obviously, orange is a safety color, but it’s like the green actually annoys them. I’ve decided to stop wearing the green.

Has anyone noticed the same thing? What are your experiences? Not just colors. It could be anything: patterns, logos, baggy shorts vs. lycra, street cloths vs. athletic, etc.
Old 06-15-18, 04:46 AM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 10157 Post(s)
Liked 5,849 Times in 3,150 Posts
They hate all my Borat thongs.
Old 06-15-18, 05:02 AM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18371 Post(s)
Liked 4,507 Times in 3,350 Posts
Nope.

But, it is a good idea to be seen as soon as possible. I've thought fluorescent yellows were easy to see, but perhaps oranges are better.
Old 06-15-18, 05:17 AM
GrainBrain

Bikes: LeMond Zurich, Giant Talon 29er

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1221 Post(s)
Liked 628 Times in 472 Posts
I have not noticed a difference color wise, but have noticed a difference wearing a high vis vest and looking like a dork vs a "wife beater" and spandex shorts. Looking like a punk will not get any sympathy
Old 06-15-18, 06:08 AM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2134 Post(s)
Liked 1,644 Times in 826 Posts
There is a certain psychology in all of this I am certain. I ride MUPs for the most part now. When I do ride on the road I am treated generally well. But this one shirt nets me the best results by far. Wide berths, slow passes, patience in waiting to pass and honks with friendly waves. I think in the minds of too many motorists, a bicyclist is processed immediately as ANNOYANCE, Something about the goofy flag shirt has them mentally processing me a HUMAN. If you could control all of the variables and make but one change, that being a child trailer attached to the bike, I'll bet you'd get much more favorable results with the child trailer. Why? It humanizes the encounter.

Old 06-15-18, 07:02 AM
mcours2006

Bikes: ...a few.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 2010 Post(s)
Liked 408 Times in 234 Posts
Maybe mount a rear child seat with a dummy doll in it on my carbon bike...seems silly, though.
Old 06-15-18, 07:19 AM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
Liked 941 Times in 504 Posts
I've not really noticed a difference. I have both Hi Vis orange and Hi Vis yellow, though I more often ride in the yellow. Sometimes with matching socks because I'm into high fashion.

Maybe try pink.
Old 06-15-18, 07:56 AM
mcours2006

Bikes: ...a few.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 2010 Post(s)
Liked 408 Times in 234 Posts
How bout a jersey with 'Baby on-board'...if you're a woman.
Old 06-15-18, 08:27 AM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 10157 Post(s)
Liked 5,849 Times in 3,150 Posts
Suicide vest.
Old 06-15-18, 09:16 AM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
I haven't noticed any difference between neon green and neon orange, have a shirt in each color. So far, with only one exception when I first started riding, everyone has given me plenty of room.
Old 06-15-18, 10:34 AM
KD5NRH

Bikes: 2010 Trek 7100

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 697 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I've heard of good results with fairly simple Texas flag jerseys, (even outside Texas) but can't seem to find one in a full-zip style. Closest seems to be the Canari "Texas Retro" which just doesn't have the long-range recognizability of a simple flag or large Texas silhouette like the Voler and Primal Wear ones that are only 3/4 zip. (Sometimes after a long ride, an old shoulder injury hurts to the point where pulling a jersey over my head is painful-to-near-impossible.)

You could also try this one:
Old 06-15-18, 10:46 AM
Rje58

Bikes: 2011 Fuji Absolute 3.0 -- 1997 Trek 830 (modified to hybrid)

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 548 Times in 170 Posts
I wear a yellow high viz mesh vest and am generally treated well by drivers, and get a wide berth, but I think having two lights on the back of the bike probably has more to do with that. Most of my riding is done on public roads.
Old 06-15-18, 11:33 AM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18371 Post(s)
Liked 4,507 Times in 3,350 Posts
The biggest problem with high-vis vests is that I keep getting stopped in stores by people asking if I an an employee.
Old 06-15-18, 11:43 AM
winston63 

Bikes: Specialized Diverge E5 Comp, Specialized AWOL Comp, Scott Solace 10

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 20 Posts
I haven't noticed a difference in the color of clothing, but when I first started riding regularly I noticed that drivers were much more aggressive when I wore roadie kit as opposed to baggy shorts & a T-shirt. The difference was shocking!

That was just under 10 years ago, but there are many more cyclists around now and I find it very rare to encounter aggressive drivers under any circumstances.
Old 06-15-18, 11:18 PM
Bmach

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 440 Post(s)
Liked 264 Times in 162 Posts
Try hi-vis socks. The motion of them moving up and down as you pedal has been reported to be even better.
Old 06-16-18, 05:21 AM
Stormsedge

Bikes: 2017 Trek Domane SL6 Disc, 1990 Schwinn Crosscut Frankenroadbike, 2015 KHS Team 29 FS, 2000 Gary Fisher Tassajara--gone but not forgotten

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 30 Posts
Originally Posted by Bmach
Try hi-vis socks. The motion of them moving up and down as you pedal has been reported to be even better.
I always stuff a yellow or orange bandana in my left jersey pocket leaving more than half hanging out to flap in the breeze...I agree that the extra movement alerts drivers earlier. I wear a hi-viz yellow helmet and in addition, I wear a hi-viz yellow long sleeve poly shirt under my bike jersey, so drivers see the sleeves and the tail (which in my case should be stenciled "wide load"). The drivers I seem to have near misses with are in a desperate hurry, or are towing trailers and cut back in too soon forgetting the trailer behind them.. My training rides are on rural blacktop with no shoulders...that said, a lot of the drivers on my route have seen me before and tolerate my presence well. On group rides, I sometimes substitute a white long sleeve shirt depending on jersey color. My neighbors say they can see the helmet a mile away and the glow keeps them awake if I leave it on the seat of my truck.
Old 06-16-18, 05:30 AM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Originally Posted by Stormsedge

I always stuff a yellow or orange bandana in my left jersey pocket leaving more than half hanging out to flap in the breeze...I agree that the extra movement alerts drivers earlier. I wear a hi-viz yellow helmet and in addition, I wear a hi-viz yellow long sleeve poly shirt under my bike jersey, so drivers see the sleeves and the tail (which in my case should be stenciled "wide load"). The drivers I seem to have near misses with are in a desperate hurry, or are towing trailers and cut back in too soon forgetting the trailer behind them.. My training rides are on rural blacktop with no shoulders...that said, a lot of the drivers on my route have seen me before and tolerate my presence well. On group rides, I sometimes substitute a white long sleeve shirt depending on jersey color. My neighbors say they can see the helmet a mile away and the glow keeps them awake if I leave it on the seat of my truck.
Which helmet did you get and how comfortable is it?
Old 06-16-18, 05:34 AM
Stormsedge

Bikes: 2017 Trek Domane SL6 Disc, 1990 Schwinn Crosscut Frankenroadbike, 2015 KHS Team 29 FS, 2000 Gary Fisher Tassajara--gone but not forgotten

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 30 Posts
Originally Posted by Paul Barnard
Which helmet did you get and how comfortable is it?
It is a Bontrager Circuit MIPS helmet. I rarely notice it at all when wearing it...very comfortable.
Old 06-16-18, 08:20 AM
f4rrest
Farmer tan

Bikes: Allez, SuperSix Evo

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 2870 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 23 Posts
There is a certain psychology in all of this I am certain. I ride MUPs for the most part now. When I do ride on the road I am treated generally well. But this one shirt nets me the best results by far. Wide berths, slow passes, patience in waiting to pass and honks with friendly waves. I think in the minds of too many motorists, a bicyclist is processed immediately as ANNOYANCE, Something about the goofy flag shirt has them mentally processing me a HUMAN. If you could control all of the variables and make but one change, that being a child trailer attached to the bike, I'll bet you'd get much more favorable results with the child trailer. Why? It humanizes the encounter.

I need one for the 4th.

I like that design with big stripes.

Where'd you get it?
Old 06-16-18, 10:02 AM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

I got that shirt at Wal-Mart of all places two years ago. It's just a cheap poly T shirt.
Old 06-17-18, 03:19 AM
KD5NRH

Bikes: 2010 Trek 7100

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 697 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK
The biggest problem with high-vis vests is that I keep getting stopped in stores by people asking if I an an employee.
I've gotten that while in full Lycra kit, in a grocery store, in a nice suit in WalMart looking for a replacement shoelace, and while wearing the highly visibly marked uniform of a major pest control company in a fast food place. Some people are just too brain dead to be allowed out in public.

Then again, when I went to my final decree hearing in a suit, the judge asked if my client was running late. Apparently nobody even bothers with a suit to go to court anymore. I figured the divorce was even more worthy of dressing up for than the wedding was.
Old 07-01-18, 07:23 AM
intransit1217

Bikes: 2 Masi giramondo

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
I never thought about this. I’ll try to pay attention and see what happens here in cheese land.
Old 07-05-18, 09:02 PM
MikeyMK
Cycleway town

Bikes: 2.6kw GT LTS e-tandem, 250w Voodoo, 250w solar recumbent trike, 3-speed shopper, Merlin ol/skl mtb, 80cc Ellswick

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 169 Times in 117 Posts
Originally Posted by mcours2006
Maybe mount a rear child seat with a dummy doll in it on my carbon bike...seems silly, though.
As someone who carries a kid on the back, it does work, but not until they realise. Which is occasionally too late. I don't take her onto main roads nut occasionally have to use a small residential road and, even there, some motorists either have no clue i'm there or even try to make an elitist point against me - only for them to show they've spotted the child by dramatically improving their driving behavior.. once i've already had to act.

And in this town of extensive combined pedesyrian/cycleway routes, the same is the case with pedestrians! They're happy to get in my way to test my resolve, only to zone-in on my stoker (once i've had to act) and step out the way and apologise.
Old 07-06-18, 07:52 AM
genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 13658 Post(s)
Liked 4,532 Times in 3,158 Posts
I've heard of sitations where a cyclist pulling a baby trailer is stopped by motorists and berated for "daring" to bring a child onto dangerous roads.

As far as clothing itself, I often commuted in orange, while wearing bright yellow vest... with a bright orange cloth over my left pannier. I felt it helped, but I have no data to show one way or the other. My philosophy was to work to be seen, then act as if they probably didn't see me. (Not act as a ninja, but don't make movements based on the assumption that I am seen.)
Old 07-08-18, 05:43 PM
Kurt Erlenbach

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I have a friend who swears by his flag jersey. He says he never has problem with close passes when he's wearing it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.