Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

The Look: Skinwall v. Blackwall

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

The Look: Skinwall v. Blackwall

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-18, 04:19 PM
Chombi1 

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1639 Post(s)
Liked 829 Times in 538 Posts
Originally Posted by crank_addict
Retro skins are seen in the pro peloton. Must be some secret sauce in them or something.
Not secret sauce,.....more like "Mojo"!
Old 12-31-18, 12:26 PM
SlowJoeCrow

Bikes: Redline Conquest Pro, Kona Cinder Cone, Trek Fuel EX8(RIP) Pivot Mach 5 frankenbike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
I think most classic bikes look more "right" with skinwalls because that is what they would have had originally. Modern road bikes look anachronistic with skinwalls except for cyclocross bikes which look more right with skinwalls because they look like the tubular tires on race bikes,
Old 12-31-18, 12:37 PM
PizzaPi4Me

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Gummies all the way for everything ever. I don't even care if it's a super aero track bike, I'm putting gumwalls on it. That said, I do have all black Conti ultra sports on my polo bike, but that's only cause they were cheap, in stock and I don't care about aesthetics on that bike.
I'll post pics of my touring bike once I'm up to ten posts on here.
Old 12-31-18, 12:51 PM
980C Rider
Banned.

Bikes: Vintage 1992 Giant 980 C roadbike

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Fahrenheit531
Until last night I'd only ever seen my Volare with full-black tires; I was surprised how much skinwalls change the overall look of the bike:

My wife thinks it looks lighter, as in weighs less, with the skinwalls (I can almost see that and I suppose it actually does, by a negligible amount). And the black to me looks faster, or maybe more serious about going faster.

Pure subjective silliness, that, but the bike does look quite different and I'm almost second-guessing the white tape now. We'll give that some time. But I'm sure there are other shots out there of the same bike with both skinwalls and blackwalls... let's do some compare and contrast.
Of the two pics, the blackwalls do make it look faster while the skinwalls make it look lighter.

On a personal note, it's nice to see another rider that still uses clips and straps...
Old 12-31-18, 01:42 PM
jefscolnago

Bikes: Colnago, Seven, Campy equipped, tubies

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Until last night I'd only ever seen my Volare with full-black tires; I was surprised how much skinwalls change the overall look of the bike:

My wife thinks it looks lighter, as in weighs less, with the skinwalls (I can almost see that and I suppose it actually does, by a negligible amount). And the black to me looks faster, or maybe more serious about going faster.

Pure subjective silliness, that, but the bike does look quite different and I'm almost second-guessing the white tape now. We'll give that some time. But I'm sure there are other shots out there of the same bike with both skinwalls and blackwalls... let's do some compare and contrast.
Not always true but on that specific bike, the black makes it pop... and I mean *POP! The skinwalls, as pictured, act almost more like camouflage and as you can see, the bike actually starts to **fade into the background.
* good
** not good
Old 12-31-18, 04:19 PM
Fahrenheit531 
52psi

Bikes: Schwinn Volare ('78); Raleigh Competition GS ('79)

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 790 Post(s)
Liked 802 Times in 391 Posts
Originally Posted by jefscolnago
Not always true but on that specific bike, the black makes it pop... and I mean *POP! The skinwalls, as pictured, act almost more like camouflage and as you can see, the bike actually starts to **fade into the background.
* good
** not good
Yeah, I think this about sums it up. Turns out Compass does make this tire in full black... I just don't want to plunk down the price of admission for another set. I'm sure I'll come up with something. Eventually. Dang it.
Originally Posted by 980C Rider
On a personal note, it's nice to see another rider that still uses clips and straps...
You'll see more than a few bikes running clips and straps here in the C&V.
A race bike in any era is a highly personal choice that at its "best" balances the requirements of fit, weight, handling, durability and cost tempered by the willingness to toss it and oneself down the pavement at considerable speed. ~Bandera
Old 12-31-18, 04:55 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3587 Post(s)
Liked 3,400 Times in 1,934 Posts
I guess I'm showing my age, but all black sidewalls remind me too much of the nasty, thick, heavy K-mart tires BITD. The best tires had thin, supple, tan colored sidewalls.

I know modern tires shouldn't be characterized in this way, but it's still the first thing I think when I see a bike with all-black sidewall tires.
Old 01-01-19, 12:47 AM
980C Rider
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yeah, I think this about sums it up. Turns out Compass does make this tire in full black... I just don't want to plunk down the price of admission for another set. I'm sure I'll come up with something. Eventually. Dang it.

You'll see more than a few bikes running clips and straps here in the C&V.
Good, I was getting more than tired of seeing clipless pedals and cleats.
I can't use clipless pedals, I wear a size 15, and so far, I haven't found anyone that makes a cleat in a 15 (not only that, but I like using clips and straps on my vintage bike).
Then, there's the problem I have with turning my left ankle the right way to release the pedal (my left fibula was shattered back in '85, so I have nerve damage as well as muscular weakness), which is the main reason I ride for exercise.
Old 01-01-19, 04:54 AM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2482 Post(s)
Liked 2,952 Times in 1,677 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnDThompson
I guess I'm showing my age, but all black sidewalls remind me too much of the nasty, thick, heavy K-mart tires BITD. The best tires had thin, supple, tan colored sidewalls.

I know modern tires shouldn't be characterized in this way, but it's still the first thing I think when I see a bike with all-black sidewall tires.
Absolutely agree, but we both developed our taste in bikes in the 1960s and '70s. Younger folk can't understand.
Old 01-03-19, 11:15 PM
mech986 

Bikes: Italvega Super Speciales and Superlights

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 355 Post(s)
Liked 345 Times in 174 Posts

I prefer gumwall tan on my Italvegas, partly because I’m running 35’s and 32’s for Eroica California and I like the way they look.. Here’s my brown ‘72 Italvega Super Speciale as configured for Eroica 2017, 2018, and 2019. Running Compass Bon Jon Pass Extralights in 700C x 35. Had about 1500 miles on it before the first flat in early 2018. Currently on a second set with 800 miles so far. If you look closely you can see the extended long cage I put on my NR rear derailleur for ‘18 and ‘19.

the other Blue and Brown bikes were setup for Display at the Concours so also had gumwalls.

Last edited by mech986; 01-03-19 at 11:24 PM.
Old 01-04-19, 10:53 AM
USAZorro
Señor Member

Bikes: Mostly English - predominantly Raleighs

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 1491 Post(s)
Liked 1,090 Times in 638 Posts
Seeing the thread title, I came in thinking, "skinwall always looks better". Then I saw the OP's first picture and realized there are rare exceptions.

How a tire rides is my #1 criteria, and good tanwall (if not skinwall), tires seem to have ride characteristics that don't disappoint.
Old 01-04-19, 12:14 PM
Salamandrine 

Bikes: 78 Masi Criterium, 68 PX10, 2016 Mercian King of Mercia, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr

Mentioned: 120 Post(s)
Quoted: 2317 Post(s)
Liked 597 Times in 430 Posts

I must be showing my age too. Yeah, BITD only cheap heavy utility tires were all black. Every serious cycling enthusiast associated them with cheap bikes. Performance bikes always had skinwall tires -- no exceptions. Therefore, if the goal is to restore a vintage bike to a period correct look, skinwalls are the only option.

That being so, I have to say that modern blackwalls have grown on me. I don't really miss the dirty stained sidewalls that skinwalls inevitably get after the first couple rides. The extra UV protection doesn't hurt either.

BITD skinwalls were used because of the way sew ups were made. The casings were fabric with a thin coating of liquid latex. The black rubber treads were glued on separately. They needed to be black because the tread rubber had carbon in it for long wear. The sidewalls did not need this. When lightweight clinchers came out, they were constructed similarly and had therefore had the same skinwall look. Nowadays it seems that most tires are constructed in full sized injection molds, and to make the sides a different color is a fashion choice rather than an artifact of their construction method.
Old 01-04-19, 12:39 PM
abshipp 

Bikes: 1975 Motobecane Grand Jubile, 2020 Holdsworth Competition, 2022 Giant Trance 29 3

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 3357 Post(s)
Liked 3,636 Times in 1,242 Posts
Tan:

vs Black:

I'm pretty sure that I actually prefer the black-wall tires on this particular bike. I don't know, it goes back and forth.

Anything painted I exclusively prefer skinwall tires, though. Especially lighter colored frames. Baby blue with skinwall tires is probably my favorite color combination.
Old 01-04-19, 12:51 PM
ScottRyder 
Photographer

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked 98 Times in 53 Posts
Originally Posted by tkamd73
Looks better with black sidewalls. In my opinion most CV bikes do, although not period correct. I’ve kind of compromised by using Gatorskins which have a dark brown sidewall. Really though, nice looking bike either way.
Tim
I totally agree, the Gatorskins are a nice option.

Scott

IG @scottryder.surf.cycle
IG @scottryder.fine.art

Old 01-04-19, 01:18 PM
Salamandrine 

Bikes: 78 Masi Criterium, 68 PX10, 2016 Mercian King of Mercia, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr

Mentioned: 120 Post(s)
Quoted: 2317 Post(s)
Liked 597 Times in 430 Posts
Originally Posted by ScottRyder
I totally agree, the Gatorskins are a nice option.
Yep. +1 Dark brown is nice too. Continental bike tires have had the brown sidewalls since at least the early 80s, when they were first becoming available in the US. It was always their trademark. They may go back to the 70s in Europe. I don't know. Anyone? At any rate they actually are period correct on 80s bikes, if anyone cares. I was certainly using Conti tires back then, because they were durable and lasted a long time. They used to make a sales pitch about their synthetic casing fabric, which was somewhat unusual at the time.
Old 01-04-19, 01:48 PM
Chombi1 

Originally Posted by Salamandrine
Yep. +1 Dark brown is nice too. Continental bike tires have had the brown sidewalls since at least the early 80s, when they were first becoming available in the US. It was always their trademark. They may go back to the 70s in Europe. I don't know. Anyone? At any rate they actually are period correct on 80s bikes, if anyone cares. I was certainly using Conti tires back then, because they were durable and lasted a long time. They used to make a sales pitch about their synthetic casing fabric, which was somewhat unusual at the time.
I call the color of those Continental sidewalks "Coca Cola"........ because it is pretty much the color of the drink.....
I find them a bit to dark to the point that they sometimes look like black walls when they get dirty.....
Conti does still have lighter colored sidewalls for their tubular tires though.....
Old 01-04-19, 02:01 PM
tkamd73 

Bikes: 1984 Schwinn Supersport, 1988 Trek 400T, 1977 Trek TX900, 1982 Bianchi Champione del Mondo, 1978 Raleigh Supercourse, 1986 Trek 400 Elance, 1991 Waterford PDG OS Paramount, 1971 Schwinn Sports Tourer, 1985 Trek 670

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 604 Post(s)
Liked 1,063 Times in 535 Posts
I agree, the Continental coca-cola sidewalls do look black when dirty. Conversely the skin or gum wall tires look dirty when they get dirty.
Tim
Old 01-04-19, 02:31 PM
Chombi1 

Funny thing is, what gets skin walls dirty the most is not really mud or dirt, but the carbon black coming from tire dust on the streets and from your black brake pads.....and the latex on the sidewalls just really drinks it up!
Old 01-04-19, 02:45 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Sidewall reflective bands .. to be Seen..
Old 01-04-19, 09:04 PM
Fahrenheit531 
52psi

@abshipp HA! Totally thought I was looking at two different bikes due to the different colors reflected in the chrome.
A race bike in any era is a highly personal choice that at its "best" balances the requirements of fit, weight, handling, durability and cost tempered by the willingness to toss it and oneself down the pavement at considerable speed. ~Bandera
Old 01-04-19, 11:08 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3883 Post(s)
Liked 6,476 Times in 3,205 Posts
Originally Posted by cudak8888

... the moral of this story is ...
"V" for Victory!
Old 01-05-19, 08:27 AM
greg3rd48 

Bikes: '19 Fuji Gran Fondo 1.5, '72 Peugeot PX10, '71ish Gitane Super Corsa, '78 Fuji Newest, '89 Fuji Ace, '94 Cannondale R600, early '70s LeJeune Pro project

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 293 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 101 Posts
Skinwalls defintely fit the bill on some bikes. At least they do on these two in my opinion.

On the other hand sometimes black is just the obvious choice.

Old 01-05-19, 10:25 AM
jimmuller 
What??? Only 2 wheels?

Bikes: 72 Peugeot UO-8, 82 Peugeot TH8, 87 Bianchi Brava, 76? Masi Grand Criterium, 74 Motobecane Champion Team, 86 & 77 Gazelle champion mondial, 81? Grandis, 82? Tommasini, 83 Peugeot PF10

Mentioned: 189 Post(s)
Quoted: 1222 Post(s)
Liked 645 Times in 232 Posts
Originally Posted by greg3rd48
...sometimes black is just the obvious choice.

That bike does look good in black. My black Bianchi, equipped with lights and a generator hub for dark-time commuting, looks good with Gatorskins which are dark brown. Otherwise, gumwall or skinwall or road-dirtied yellow that looks more or less like gum/skinwall.

Ever worn black running shoes? They feel heavier than the same model shoe in white. Black shoes just add weight.
Old 01-05-19, 05:50 PM
Fahrenheit531 
52psi

Originally Posted by greg3rd48
I freaking love this Fuji, and I've now got a new target when it comes to brake cable lines. Continental GP Classics are definitely a favorite tire of mine. Both the look and the ride.
Old 01-06-19, 06:41 PM
980C Rider
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Not just your age, I'd imagine lots of riders in this C & V forums are of similar ages, me? I'm double-nickel, 55 for those that don't speak trucker.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.