Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

My curbside project bike

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

My curbside project bike

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-19, 09:17 PM
Synack42

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 17 Posts
My curbside project bike

Hey, I can post photos now, and I can't resist...

Just sharing this for giggles, it's a curbside 2008 Diamondback Outlook from what I've gathered. When I got it it was just the frame, crankset and fork. This has been an extreme budget build so far:
  • $20 used wheelset, Weinmann rims with Specialized hubs.
  • Free with giftcard WTB All Terrain tires (snow all over here, dying to try these out....)
  • $8.65 25.4mm flat aluminum handlebars
  • $10 Used Giant Connect saddle (there is a LBS nearby with a bucket of them, must not be a popular model but I'm loving it -- and I'm a clyde)
  • $13 Origin8 lock on grips, had some ODI plugs laying around
  • $7 Sunrace SLM-10 friction shifters that came with cables and housings
  • Other misc parts like pads, brake cables, derailleur were laying around.
So i'm around $60 in at this point. Might not be worth it but it's definitely entertaining -- and hey, it's slowly phasing out the sanitized Magna behind it. (Though, honestly I put 850+ miles on that Magna with very little grief last year...)

Old 01-24-19, 10:51 PM
BrocLuno

Bikes: K2 (Marzocchi/Fox), Trek 6000 (red) MARS Elite up front, Specialized Hardrock Sport -> eBike (R7 Elite up front), lastly TREK 820 loaner. Recently sold Peugeot du Monde Record and 1956 Schwinn (owned since new).

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Nice. Just for entertainment value, it's worth more than $60. And you kept it out of the dump - good on you

I get a "rescue bike" like that and I usually end up many hundreds of dollars into it because I can't just stop. Wonder what it would be like with a ...... (for instance, a Manitou R7 Elite light weight air fork )?

But, in your case, you are in luck because it has a 1" steer tube, so high rent forks are not an easy option. KISS and ride on

Might evolve into a decent semi-tough trail/gravel bike

Last edited by BrocLuno; 01-24-19 at 10:56 PM.
Old 01-24-19, 11:48 PM
Synack42

Thanks, funny thing is this actually does have a 1 1/8" headset on it... I've thought about a threadless conversion. The old fork is totally fine for my riding though, mainly pavement and really flat packed trails.

I might pick up a quill stem adapter though, just to play with different bar setups...
Old 01-25-19, 12:32 AM
frogman

Bikes: Wife says I have too many :-)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked 250 Times in 158 Posts
Nice work, good looking Diamond Back ! I have an older Diamond Back with the hard fork, not a suspension fork. It was dumped in one of our city trash bins. Replaced the tires, chain and put on a new saddle. It looked like it had been stored inside, the paint is in great shape. I suspect it was bought and hung up in someones garage until they decided to dump it. I like the grips you have on yours, I will see if I can find those too.
Old 01-25-19, 07:22 AM
Synack42

Thanks -- The grips really are awesome if you do any kind of tinkering around at all: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00288JF26 I've had really good luck with alcohol or WD taking off and installing regular rubber grips but these are so much easier and look good too.

If I didn't have those ODI bar end plugs laying around I probably would go with some of those aluminum caps that could be locked in with an allen wrench.
Old 01-25-19, 07:35 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7652 Post(s)
Liked 3,473 Times in 1,834 Posts
I like the shape of the saddle and the general set-up of the bike. Bars are a bit high for my tast, but that it personal taste. Slap a rack on it and it would be a great short-ride commuter.

I learned to ride in bad city traffic on bikes like that--scavenged from the trash, frankensteined together ... none of them looked that good.
Old 01-25-19, 10:42 AM
frogman

Bikes: Wife says I have too many :-)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked 250 Times in 158 Posts
Originally Posted by Synack42
Thanks -- The grips really are awesome if you do any kind of tinkering around at all: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00288JF26 I've had really good luck with alcohol or WD taking off and installing regular rubber grips but these are so much easier and look good too.

If I didn't have those ODI bar end plugs laying around I probably would go with some of those aluminum caps that could be locked in with an allen wrench.

I just ordered a pair along with the nice aluminum end caps. I usually use water with a drop of dish soap for the rubber grips. These grips look like they go on without any prep.
Thanks for the info !!
Old 01-26-19, 10:39 AM
BirdsBikeBinocs

Bikes: Giant Talon 29 - Specialized Diverge E5 Comp

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 33 Posts
Looks great buddy. I'm beginning to think I want to build up a vintage bike.