Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

The Newbie's Guide To Touring Bikes

Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

The Newbie's Guide To Touring Bikes

Old 01-22-18, 07:07 AM
Tomodachi

Bikes: Giant Defy

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yeah, Bro. Did it got into the mountains. It was like minus 6 and had to sleep in a disabled toilet. Turned around and went home the next day and did some short distance rides.
Old 02-03-18, 06:21 AM
ricrunner

Bikes: Malvern Star Oppy S1 Gravel

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by vickorano
Hi all, new here. I've never toured before but I am very interested in trying. I am, however, very anxious & kind of scared to do it alone. I'm having a lot of trouble finding groups of people to do it with. I'm just one woman and I'm very nervous about the more nuanced aspects of long-term touring; the execution of the tour, interaction with people, finding safe places, staying safe on the road, preventing theft, avoiding assault or worse. Are there any women on the forum--or do you know any--who have toured alone successfully? I'm very interested in the experiences of people who are experienced tourists; what problems have you faced, how did you solve them? People interactions, road danger concerns, location safety, things like that. I'm very scared of being assaulted, kidnapped, robbed or run over. I do travel alone but I feel like bicycling makes one more vulnerable. Thanks for reading, I hope to hear some stories or advice. I very much want to try touring, very soon.
I don't know if your still around but try looking at ****** forums, especially r/bikebuddies and crazyguyonabike.com you may find some help there.
Old 02-05-18, 06:23 AM
eaglegamma

Bikes: Lots, but one at a time!

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Touring as a solo woman

In my years of touring experience I've met and sometimes traveled with numerous solo riders. Taking precautions as you would traveling by other modes, you can do so safely. Being in a bicycle does add risks but they're manageable. Feel free to ask me for any more info.
Old 02-06-18, 03:58 PM
antmaster5000

Bikes: BMC TeamMachine, Surly Pacer, All City Big Block

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 62 Times in 30 Posts
Would you guys recommend using fenders for a trip down the West Coast starting mid August? I'm going from Seattle to Cabo San Lucas and biking in the Seattle rain has made me think of how much cleaner and prettier my bike will be without fenders. Plus, less parts that may need adjustment is a huge plus. What do y'all think?
Old 06-30-18, 07:59 PM
Vegasclimber
Typical MAMIL

Bikes: 2011 CAAD-10, 2017 Evo HiMod Team Di2, 2018 Quick 5 Disc

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I personally think you could leave the fenders at home, there is a chance of a few late-summer showers but it shouldn't be all that bad.
Old 12-04-18, 10:05 AM
reppans

Bikes: Brompton M6R, Specialized Tricross Comp, Ellsworth Isis, Dahon Speed P8

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 16 Posts
Consider improving your aerodynamic footprint with a bikepacking set-up over weight savings with UL panniers - aero is a square force and usually much more significant than weight (a linear force) to bicyclists, particularly if you are a faster rider. As an UL backpacker, you could probably fit into just a good frame and seat pack.

For example, a 3lb weight savings on a 200lb rider/bike/gear total is a 1.5% weight savings, but due to the mechanical advantages of a bicycle, that really only applies to uphills. So for a loop ride where you might average uphill 1/3 rd of the time, the overall weight benefit might only be 0.5% to your overall pace or energy expenditure. If you believe THIS article, the aero benefit might be significantly more.
Old 02-28-19, 12:57 PM
CraigMBA

Bikes: 1988 Specialized Stumpjumper Monstercross Touring Rig, and a couple of others

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by antmaster5000
Would you guys recommend using fenders for a trip down the West Coast starting mid August? I'm going from Seattle to Cabo San Lucas and biking in the Seattle rain has made me think of how much cleaner and prettier my bike will be without fenders. Plus, less parts that may need adjustment is a huge plus. What do y'all think?
I'd be inclined to run fenders rain or shine. You won't have much weather to speak of south of Hearst Castle, but will have wet foggy mornings till you get there.
Old 03-01-19, 10:06 AM
antmaster5000

Originally Posted by CraigMBA
I'd be inclined to run fenders rain or shine. You won't have much weather to speak of south of Hearst Castle, but will have wet foggy mornings till you get there.
Having finished this trip, there were a total of 3 days (out of 2 months) where it rained enough to justify the fenders. With that being said, they were also good to keep general dust and street grime off of my drivetrain.
Old 03-02-19, 11:13 PM
CraigMBA

Bikes: 1988 Specialized Stumpjumper Monstercross Touring Rig, and a couple of others

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Having finished this trip, there were a total of 3 days (out of 2 months) where it rained enough to justify the fenders. With that being said, they were also good to keep general dust and street grime off of my drivetrain.
Good to hear.

How was the trip south of Santa Barbara to San Diego? I live in the Central Coast and hear mixed things about riding past SB. I'm planning to take a ride south and take the train for my return trip.
Old 03-03-19, 05:14 PM
Clyde1820

Bikes: 1996 Trek 970 ZX Single Track 2x11

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 610 Post(s)
Liked 558 Times in 423 Posts
Would you guys recommend using fenders for a trip down the West Coast starting mid August? I'm going from Seattle to Cabo San Lucas ...
Likely, based on average climate data typical for August, you're reasonably unlikely to meet up with more than a few showers here and there. Except for the southern Washington and Oregon coastlines, you can generally expect less than 1" of rainfall in the coastal towns through August.

Of course, August to early September is when things can begin turning ... and occasionally some gully-washers begin hitting the northern coastline about this time.

Myself, I'd probably ride in the region with fenders, for a trip as far as Seattle->Cabo.

Up to you. Probably won't need them that often.
Old 03-04-19, 01:03 AM
errymo

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Learn a lot from here!!! where can I have a tour?
Old 03-04-19, 09:47 AM
antmaster5000

Originally Posted by CraigMBA
Good to hear.

How was the trip south of Santa Barbara to San Diego? I live in the Central Coast and hear mixed things about riding past SB. I'm planning to take a ride south and take the train for my return trip.
It was great! Of course LA was a bit of a slog, but I have positive memories about the rest of it. If I recall correctly that's where the Pacific Ocean becomes very warm and accessible relative to the rest of the coast. I have a handful of fond memories where we would see a small beach right off the highway, park and lock our bikes, go for a 15 minute swim, and be back on the bikes. Beautiful scenery and pretty good cycling conditions.
Likes For antmaster5000:
Old 06-04-19, 02:15 AM
borakim501

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by errymo
Learn a lot from here!!! where can I have a tour?
I think you'd join Asian tours. That's so good
Likes For borakim501:
Old 07-03-19, 10:55 PM
Im Clueless

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I have a Specialized Awol Elite Touring bike from 2016 and I love it!
Old 07-18-19, 10:10 AM
REBA

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Clyde1820
Likely, based on average climate data typical for August, you're reasonably unlikely to meet up with more than a few showers here and there. Except for the southern Washington and Oregon coastlines, you can generally expect less than 1" of rainfall in the coastal towns through August.

Of course, August to early September is when things can begin turning ... and occasionally some gully-washers begin hitting the northern coastline about this time.

Myself, I'd probably ride in the region with fenders, for a trip as far as Seattle->Cabo.

Up to you. Probably won't need them that often.
Does maintenance become much of an issue if you're touring without fenders?
Old 09-10-19, 10:18 AM
th0

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Anyone here travel with Bivy instead of a tent?
Old 12-03-19, 10:25 PM
silvanpyang

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Bekologist
Always be willing to stop and 'check things out'.
This is huge. Unless you're really trying to get somewhere as fast as possible. Going down side roads, taking detours, and getting of the bike to satisfy your curiosity is such an interesting part of touring.
Likes For silvanpyang:
Old 12-21-19, 06:47 PM
UKFan4Sure
Useless Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 380 Post(s)
Liked 181 Times in 113 Posts
To ride is to live. Watch this video. It's awesome!

Likes For UKFan4Sure:
Old 12-23-19, 03:33 PM
Juan2know

Bikes: Fuji Absolute SX

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It does rain on the coast during summer touring season, June through September but not often, meaning once every 2 weeks and then only a shower. My recommendation is put fenders on as they hardly weigh anything but if you want to save $50 plus/minus, then leave em off. You'll be fine especially as you get into California.
Old 05-12-20, 06:51 AM
akablue

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Great info for a newbie like myself. I’ve been looking to buy a new saddle and hear a lot about the brooks saddle.

thankss.
Old 05-18-20, 11:53 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4252 Post(s)
Liked 3,865 Times in 2,578 Posts
Originally Posted by akablue
Great info for a newbie like myself. I’ve been looking to buy a new saddle and hear a lot about the brooks saddle.

thankss.
Yep it is a popular one. Me personally I have at least 5 Cambium saddles mostly C17 Carved (though one wider C13 on the road bike) and they are fantastic. No break in time with comfort out of the box and no animal abuse needed for a saddle which is also great, plus the new All-Weather Cambiums can handle rain even better.

However buy a saddle that is the right width and shape for your sit bones. When this whole crisis is over and fitters are doing their thing again check with them and help them guide you to a good saddle. What my butt likes may not be the same.
Old 05-19-20, 02:59 PM
ravenix 
Enthusiast

Bikes: ‘83 Trek 720, ‘85 Schwann Voyageur SP, ‘97 Ibis hakkalugi, '80's Haro

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 16 Posts
Originally Posted by akablue

thankss.
I tour on a Selle SMP Avant, it's a more modern saddle but anatomically shaped for long days on the road.... just as an option other than brooks.
Old 09-01-20, 10:26 PM
gios

Bikes: 2021 Litespeed T5 105, 1990 Gios Compact Pro 105

Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 182 Posts
Do people buy gravel bikes to use touring due to the wider tire clearance they take? Haven't seen any, but do they make gravel bikes with road components?
Old 09-05-20, 01:22 AM
Clyde1820

Bikes: 1996 Trek 970 ZX Single Track 2x11

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 610 Post(s)
Liked 558 Times in 423 Posts
Originally Posted by gios
Do people buy gravel bikes to use touring due to the wider tire clearance they take? Haven't seen any, but do they make gravel bikes with road components?
Sure.

Kona's line of Rove bikes is one. The Rove LTD has the Shimano 105, and the Rove ST (now DL) has the SRAM Rival.

The AllCity line-up is another. Their Gorilla Monsoon bike has the SRAM Apex. And their Cosmic Stallion has the Shimano GRX 2x11.

Plenty of others out there. Most I've seen sport road components for the drive train.
Likes For Clyde1820:
Old 09-10-20, 07:07 AM
jfoobar

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by gios
My Jamis Renegade (two years old) has the standard 105 road componentry. Mine came with the common 50/34 compact paired with an 11-32 cassette, which makes it a poor choice "out of the box" for loaded touring. The current model which is most comparable to mine has switched to Shimano GRX components (unsurprisingly) but also switched to a much more appropriate 46/30 paired with an 11-36 cassette.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.