Search
Notices
Track Cycling: Velodrome Racing and Training Area Looking to enter into the realm of track racing? Want to share your experiences and tactics for riding on a velodrome? The Track Cycling forums is for you! Come in and discuss training/racing, equipment, and current track cycling events.

"Dear Carleton"

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-13, 07:41 AM
Brian Ratliff

Bikes: Three road bikes. Two track bikes.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by rex615
This is probably a naive question, but why not use a trainer instead. It is not as quick as just jumping on the rollers, but does allow a more relaxed cool down.
For the record I too suck at rollers, but i find them challenging enough to be entertaining
.[ATTACH=CONFIG]315698[/ATT ACH ]
A lot of guys just bring a road bike and keep it attached to a trainer for the purpose of warmup-down.
"If you’re new enough [to racing] that you would ask such question, then i would hazard a guess that if you just made up a workout that sounded hard to do, and did it, you’d probably get faster." --the tiniest sprinter
Old 05-09-13, 12:19 PM
carleton
Elitist

Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Quoted: 1386 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 77 Posts
Originally Posted by Tom Stormcrowe
Warmup and cooldown are important. Warmup laps dilate your blood vessels to increase blood flow and also reduces the chance of muscle injury. No more than 60% efort, just to warm up and stretch the muscles to prep for max effort. This reduces the chance of muscle injury.

Cooldown: Again, no more than 60% effort, and this allows the long skeletal muscles to flush out the Lactic Acid byproducts by pumping action, at a low enough effort level that they don't generate more lactic acid.
Thanks!

Originally Posted by rex615
This is probably a naive question, but why not use a trainer instead. It is not as quick as just jumping on the rollers, but does allow a more relaxed cool down.
For the record I too suck at rollers, but i find them challenging enough to be entertaining
Logically, that is a very good idea...but in practice, it's a pain in the butt

Think of all of the stuff that you have to get from your home into your car, from the parking lot to the infield, and reverse:

- Track Bike
- Road Bike
- Trainer
- Gear bag
- Training wheels
- Race wheels
- Helmet(s)
- Water bottles

It's sort of a logistical nightmare. Maybe for big events (Regional races or Nationals), but for weekly racing, it is a lot of overhead.

I, for one, already bring too much crap to the track. At DLV they used to call me "Bag Lady"
Old 05-10-13, 06:27 AM
Velocirapture

Bikes: S-1 :-D

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Tom Stormcrowe
Warmup and cooldown are important. Warmup laps dilate your blood vessels to increase blood flow and also reduces the chance of muscle injury. No more than 60% efort, just to warm up and stretch the muscles to prep for max effort. This reduces the chance of muscle injury.

Cooldown: Again, no more than 60% effort, and this allows the long skeletal muscles to flush out the Lactic Acid byproducts by pumping action, at a low enough effort level that they don't generate more lactic acid.

Just be careful of stretching in your warmup, I see this is the second time someone has mentioned this. proper static stretching is really good for recovery, but has actually been shown to slow down the response time of your fast twitch fibres, if its before a speed event. And a stretch is only effective once you are properly warm anyway (which may not be the case during a warm up).
Warm ups are personal, different things work for different people, but they do more than activate get the blood flowing, as important as that is. they also 'wake up' the nueral system. Ever seen a guy warming up on rollers, and suddenly going into super high rev mode? he's reminding his muscles how to recruite more fibres, and jump quicker.

Personally I notice a big difference in my performance between a decent warm up and little to no warm up. I find a good warmup for training works well for racing, and i tend to aim for 5 min gentle rolling, 5 min taking your heartrate up to a subthreshold sort of level, 5 min at threshold, and then a few max laps/ max min or so (on the rollers).

And +1 re the cooldown; keeps the blood moving (due to heartrate, and due to the 'pumping' effect of muscle movement), and helps yoru muscles to clear out the lactic acid and other metabolic by-products of a hard effort. If i'm training, i'll roll for 5 min before sitting down. if its 'serious' racing, i'll have rollers and spend ~15 min on them.

I could go on, but will leave it there!
Old 05-10-13, 02:23 PM
carleton
Elitist

Originally Posted by Velocirapture
Just be careful of stretching in your warmup, I see this is the second time someone has mentioned this. proper static stretching is really good for recovery, but has actually been shown to slow down the response time of your fast twitch fibres, if its before a speed event. And a stretch is only effective once you are properly warm anyway (which may not be the case during a warm up).
Warm ups are personal, different things work for different people, but they do more than activate get the blood flowing, as important as that is. they also 'wake up' the nueral system. Ever seen a guy warming up on rollers, and suddenly going into super high rev mode? he's reminding his muscles how to recruite more fibres, and jump quicker.

Personally I notice a big difference in my performance between a decent warm up and little to no warm up. I find a good warmup for training works well for racing, and i tend to aim for 5 min gentle rolling, 5 min taking your heartrate up to a subthreshold sort of level, 5 min at threshold, and then a few max laps/ max min or so (on the rollers).

And +1 re the cooldown; keeps the blood moving (due to heartrate, and due to the 'pumping' effect of muscle movement), and helps yoru muscles to clear out the lactic acid and other metabolic by-products of a hard effort. If i'm training, i'll roll for 5 min before sitting down. if its 'serious' racing, i'll have rollers and spend ~15 min on them.

I could go on, but will leave it there!
Thanks!

Yeah, I've read and heard from a doctor (who is also a cyclist) that one should not stretch as part of a warmup routine. Use active warmup to get your muscles ready and use static stretching as part of your cool down routine.
Old 05-10-13, 03:51 PM
David Broon 
Sqrl

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by carleton
Thanks!

Yeah, I've read and heard from a doctor (who is also a cyclist) that one should not stretch as part of a warmup routine. Use active warmup to get your muscles ready and use static stretching as part of your cool down routine.
My physio is big on stretching independently of cycling in general. Thursday nights she runs a yoga for cyclists, and there's a bunch of stretching involved.
That would be spectacular. A trail of blood and sealant.
Old 05-11-13, 07:40 AM
Velocirapture

Bikes: S-1 :-D

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by David Broon
My physio is big on stretching independently of cycling in general. Thursday nights she runs a yoga for cyclists, and there's a bunch of stretching involved.
Listen to your physio.

A proper stretching routine significantly reduces injury-rates, and also improves recovery. (just don't do it in a warmup!)
Old 05-12-13, 01:55 PM
David Broon 
Sqrl

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Velocirapture
Listen to your physio.

A proper stretching routine significantly reduces injury-rates, and also improves recovery. (just don't do it in a warmup!)
Barb (My physio)=Jesus. Can't recommend her enough to locals.
Old 05-13-13, 05:14 PM
bitingduck

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I, for one, already bring too much crap to the track. At DLV they used to call me "Bag Lady"
Trackies, in general, carry too much crap to the track. It's normal. That's why we have big lockers in carson...
Old 05-13-13, 06:58 PM
wens

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Are there any youtube channels with lots of videos of track racing? I know there are of cyclocross and spring classics, but my google-fu hasn't turned up much track. Mostly the last olympics and the 2013 world champs.
Old 05-13-13, 07:00 PM
carleton
Elitist

Originally Posted by wens
Are there any youtube channels with lots of videos of track racing? I know there are of cyclocross and spring classics, but my google-fu hasn't turned up much track. Mostly the last olympics and the 2013 world champs.
Try this: https://www.youtube.com/user/JensFiedler
Old 05-19-13, 11:19 AM
MarkWW

Bikes: A little of each

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
does anybody know the offset from where stack/reach is measured on a felt tk1 to the center bore of the stem base where the splined shaft goes through? I'm having a hell of a time trying to figure out what the equivalent bayonet stem would be compared to a standard stem setup.
Old 05-19-13, 11:27 AM
carleton
Elitist

Originally Posted by MarkWW
does anybody know the offset from where stack/reach is measured on a felt tk1 to the center bore of the stem base where the splined shaft goes through? I'm having a hell of a time trying to figure out what the equivalent bayonet stem would be compared to a standard stem setup.
It's probably going to come down to trial and error.

I assume that you have all of the stems that come with the frame. I think it comes with 8. 4x31.8mm and 4x26.0mm.
Old 05-19-13, 11:31 AM
MarkWW

Bikes: A little of each

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
It's probably going to come down to trial and error.

I assume that you have all of the stems that come with the frame. I think it comes with 8. 4x31.8mm and 4x26.0mm.
The frame hasn't been purchased yet. I'm trying to help a friend figure out if he'd be better on a 55 or a 57cm. Right now he's on a 56cm dolan track champion with a 110mm stem, -6*, no spacers.
Old 05-19-13, 11:45 AM
carleton
Elitist

Originally Posted by MarkWW
The frame hasn't been purchased yet. I'm trying to help a friend figure out if he'd be better on a 55 or a 57cm. Right now he's on a 56cm dolan track champion with a 110mm stem, -6*, no spacers.
Ah.

Well, if it's worth anything, the TK1 can also take a standard fork/stem system. Maybe the stack/reach numbers that you are viewing refer to that. I'm not up on how to use stack and reach.

Old 05-19-13, 12:59 PM
queerpunk
aka mattio

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 35 Posts
Look for the following users:
olympic (it's the olympics)
ucichannel (the uci - they put up vids and recaps of the WCs and some major events)

there was also an account with a ton of vintage sprintage but i forget what it was called.
Old 05-19-13, 01:04 PM
carleton
Elitist

Oh snap. I thought that I had replied to this a long time ago! Sorry! I think I didn't press submit.

Here: https://www.youtube.com/user/JensFiedler/videos?view=0

Enjoy!
Old 05-19-13, 01:50 PM
queerpunk
aka mattio

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 35 Posts
^ha! that's what i was looking for and thinking of when i mentioned vintage sprintage. couldn't remember the account name.
Old 05-19-13, 08:10 PM
wens

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks guys!
Old 05-19-13, 09:04 PM
JMR

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Oh snap. I thought that I had replied to this a long time ago! Sorry! I think I didn't press submit.

Here: https://www.youtube.com/user/JensFiedler/videos?view=0

Enjoy!
You did click submit... its about 8 posts up ^^^

JMR
Old 05-27-13, 03:14 PM
David Broon 
Sqrl

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Dear Carleton,

Aerobars or drops for a kilo?
Old 05-27-13, 04:40 PM
carleton
Elitist

Dear Carleton,

Aerobars or drops for a kilo?
Aerobars.

"Aerobars or drops?" is only a question for the 500M. Anything longer than that, use aerobars.
Old 05-27-13, 11:41 PM
David Broon 
Sqrl

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Aerobars.

"Aerobars or drops?" is only a question for the 500M. Anything longer than that, use aerobars.

Beauty. Thanks. So, aerobars or drops for a 500M?
Old 05-28-13, 12:19 AM
JMR

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Depends on how smoothly you can transition from drops to aeros I would reckon... if you are going to lose any time/power moving to the aeros then just use drops IMO.

If you are super clean going from drops to aeros, then they will save you time at in the last lap.

JMR
Old 05-28-13, 12:21 AM
JMR

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Oh, and if you decide to use drops... get some 3T Scattos(or similar).

They are the most aerodynamic style of drop bars.

JMR
Old 05-28-13, 02:55 AM
carleton
Elitist

It depends on if you have a great start or a great finish. Standing starts are difficult using aerobar base bars. Much better using drops. But drops aren't as aero as aerobars. So play to your strengths. Those with a great start should maybe use the drop bars. Those who finish better should maybe use aerobars.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.