Search
Notices
Track Cycling: Velodrome Racing and Training Area Looking to enter into the realm of track racing? Want to share your experiences and tactics for riding on a velodrome? The Track Cycling forums is for you! Come in and discuss training/racing, equipment, and current track cycling events.

"Dear Carleton"

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-12, 02:24 PM
carleton
Elitist

Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1386 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 77 Posts
Originally Posted by homebrewk
Dear Carleton,

I'm going to have 2 weeks to do nothing this spring break. What do you think is a good schedule each week to use for road riding?
Maybe do 2 days on the bike and 1 day of rest. Just feel it out. Ride for fun.

It's really hard to jump into a high volume of training if you haven't eased into it. If you do too much, you'll need a vacation from your vacation and go back to school exhausted and sore.
Old 01-31-12, 02:39 PM
Santaria

Bikes: Surly CC

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Carleton,

I'm back in a regular running/cycling routine but I want to add cycling-specific weight training. Any recommendations? I'm hedged on renewing my Gold's Gym membership since the only thing I have done there in the last 3 months is spin classes. I'm not looking for upper body - I've got a good routine that is machine-less for that.
Old 01-31-12, 02:55 PM
carleton
Elitist

Originally Posted by Santaria
Carleton,

I'm back in a regular running/cycling routine but I want to add cycling-specific weight training. Any recommendations? I'm hedged on renewing my Gold's Gym membership since the only thing I have done there in the last 3 months is spin classes. I'm not looking for upper body - I've got a good routine that is machine-less for that.
Basic leg strength:
- Squat (proper deep squat)
- Dead lift
- Romanian dead lift
- Leg press

No need for:
- Leg extension
- Leg curl
- Calf raises
Old 01-31-12, 03:01 PM
Santaria

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sweet, sounds good. I hate leg extensions, curls and calf raises. At 38, my knees are still good but there's no joy in those exercises.
Old 01-31-12, 04:42 PM
homebrewk
yoked

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by carleton
Maybe do 2 days on the bike and 1 day of rest. Just feel it out. Ride for fun.

It's really hard to jump into a high volume of training if you haven't eased into it. If you do too much, you'll need a vacation from your vacation and go back to school exhausted and sore.
Cool. I rode yesterday and I'm trying to ride more and more leading up our first practice on the 1st of March.
Old 02-03-12, 03:32 AM
hamfoh
hamcycles.com

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
what tires would you recommend for "training" (anything off the track)? I'd like something relatively lightweight and minimal resistance, but don't want to get a flat every 50 miles.
Old 02-03-12, 07:26 AM
carleton
Elitist

Originally Posted by hamfoh
what tires would you recommend for "training" (anything off the track)? I'd like something relatively lightweight and minimal resistance, but don't want to get a flat every 50 miles.
There are lots to choose from. Personally I use Conti Gatorskins. Not the lightest, I know. But, I hate changing flats on the road I also Grand Prix 4000s sometimes. These are lighter, but as you know, when you go lighter, you give up puncture resistance.
Old 02-03-12, 07:31 AM
carleton
Elitist

Also consider Vredstein tires. I've been using one on my track bike (rear) and I like it so far. They may be my new favorite. When it's time to change my road bike's tires, I'll put 2 more on that bike. I like them because they can run high pressures. They get great reviews and are less expensive than Conti.
Old 02-03-12, 08:09 AM
hamfoh
hamcycles.com

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
thanks, ill look into some Vredestein's too. I was wondering if I should just bite the weight bullet and go gatorskins and I think that's probably the right thing to do.

what pressure do you run front/rear on 23s btw?
Old 02-03-12, 08:13 AM
carleton
Elitist

thanks, ill look into some Vredestein's too. I was wondering if I should just bite the weight bullet and go gatorskins and I think that's probably the right thing to do.

what pressure do you run front/rear on 23s btw?
I run 130 psi, which is above the max rating of 120.

I'm a rebel.

I'm also 240 lbs.
Old 02-03-12, 08:21 AM
hamfoh
hamcycles.com

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
are you not at an increased chance of a blow out at that weight/pressure? should your pressure and weight have some sort of balance? I've never put much thought into it, just always within 5-15 psi of where my max says

I'm not quite that heavy, but close, and I always fear my big ass destroying some tubes (had it happen once so have been consistently paranoid).
Old 02-03-12, 08:30 AM
carleton
Elitist

are you not at an increased chance of a blow out at that weight/pressure? should your pressure and weight have some sort of balance? I've never put much thought into it, just always within 5-15 psi of where my max says

I'm not quite that heavy, but close, and I always fear my big ass destroying some tubes (had it happen once so have been consistently paranoid).
I've blown a tire off the rim before. It was most likely due to the rim bead not being set properly.
Old 02-03-12, 08:33 AM
Nagrom_
Fixie Infamous

Bikes: 2007 CAAD Optimo Track, 2012 Cannondale CAAD10, 1996 GT Force restomod, 2015 Cannondale CAADX

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Conti SuperSport Plus's are a nice middle ground between the 4000's and gators.

/notcarleton
Old 02-03-12, 08:34 AM
hamfoh
hamcycles.com

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
thanks guys
Old 02-04-12, 10:22 PM
evilcryalotmore
モㄥ工匕モ 爪モ爪乃モ尺

Bikes: Custom frame

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Dear carleton, What is the Average Axel to crown length on track forks like your alpina wing, And whats the ridiculous tight clearnce forks ratings, I'm having troubles fitting a 25c tire in my front fork, I have no clue what my ATC is,Right now i put in a 23 tire and it clears, (25c thickslick) also Whats a ATC for bigger 700 cc tires,

After looking around Like at the readily avalible forks i have, the chrome lugged fork i have is really short in comparision to my Yellow fork off the windsor, The windsor page says its 375 Is that Average?
Old 02-04-12, 10:32 PM
carleton
Elitist

Originally Posted by evilcryalotmore
Dear carleton, What is the Average Axel to crown length on track forks like your alpina wing, And whats the ridiculous tight clearnce forks ratings, I'm having troubles fitting a 25c tire in my front fork, I have no clue what my ATC is,Right now i put in a 23 tire and it clears, (25c thickslick) also Whats a ATC for bigger 700 cc tires,

After looking around Like at the readily avalible forks i have, the chrome lugged fork i have is really short in comparision to my Yellow fork off the windsor, The windsor page says its 375 Is that Average?
So you mean to say that you will buy a fork to fit a certain tire? Most people do it the other way around.

Be happy that your fork clears standard 23c tires. If that's a problem for you, then you should consider getting a CX bike.

Old 02-05-12, 12:06 AM
evilcryalotmore
モㄥ工匕モ 爪モ爪乃モ尺

Bikes: Custom frame

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I guess, I'll look around to find the average ATC
Old 02-05-12, 12:07 AM
Santaria

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm heavily thinking about my next build. The Handsome Devil i built is intended for family rides. It is my VW bus that I have always wanted. Now I am looking at the bike I intend to train on for base mileage and eventually race on a certified track. I know that everybody has their favorites. I am looking at building up a cream city frame think. Sugu 75s, nitto black stem and matching seat post. Brooks swift with paul brake on front, nitto black bar to black open pros on Milwaukee four star black hubs. My goal is murdered out in a way that makes us early ninety goons proud, as much Americana as i can find/afford in a race able rig. What's your opinion C?
Old 02-05-12, 12:11 AM
carleton
Elitist

Sounds like it will weigh 40 lbs.

On the track no one cares about "sweet dream builds". It's all about going fast. Period.
Old 02-05-12, 12:20 AM
hamfoh
hamcycles.com

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I know my velodrome may vary, but I'm curious. When there aren't races and training sessions going on, is your track open for free use. I've considered taking a beginner session coming up, but also am wondering if just riding on your own, during closed times, is something they normally let people do.
Old 02-05-12, 12:26 AM
carleton
Elitist

I know my velodrome may vary, but I'm curious. When there aren't races and training sessions going on, is your track open for free use. I've considered taking a beginner session coming up, but also am wondering if just riding on your own, during closed times, is something they normally let people do.
It depends on the track. Every track has very clear rules about this. Some tracks are like public parks others are private facilities. They all have rules.

Whatever you do, you should not go on the track with other riders until you have passed the beginner class. It's very easy to screw up and help someone break their $10,000 bike.
Old 02-05-12, 12:39 AM
carleton
Elitist

Here's an example of a normal session at a velodrome. Can you identify what's going on? Who's doing what? If you were on this track right now, where should you be? How fast/slow should you go? Someone just yelled "RAIL!!" in your direction...and he's coming up behind you at over 35MPH!! What do you do?

It's organized chaos. If you don't know what you are doing, it will be glaringly obvious. But, if you take the classes, you'll be up to speed in no time.

Old 02-05-12, 12:50 AM
carleton
Elitist

Originally Posted by Santaria
I'm heavily thinking about my next build. The Handsome Devil i built is intended for family rides. It is my VW bus that I have always wanted. Now I am looking at the bike I intend to train on for base mileage and eventually race on a certified track. I know that everybody has their favorites. I am looking at building up a cream city frame think. Sugu 75s, nitto black stem and matching seat post. Brooks swift with paul brake on front, nitto black bar to black open pros on Milwaukee four star black hubs. My goal is murdered out in a way that makes us early ninety goons proud, as much Americana as i can find/afford in a race able rig. What's your opinion C?
I think you should get an aluminum frame. If you take racing seriously, you'll ditch steel as soon as you get enough cash to upgrade. Don't use a Brooks saddle. It's a touring saddle. It's heavy. Get a light modern saddle that won't take hundreds of hours to break-in.

Race bikes are race bikes and Sunday bikes are Sunday bikes. Never the twain shall meet. The deeper you get into the sport, the less street-able your bike will be. The same goes for race cars. My advice: Don't try to make a street and race bike. Choose.
Old 02-05-12, 10:50 AM
8bits

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Carleton what do you think about the Cervélo T1 as a track bike? Does the price justify it? I was thinking about getting a Look 464P or a Cervélo T1
Old 02-05-12, 10:56 AM
carleton
Elitist

Originally Posted by 8bits
Carleton what do you think about the Cervélo T1 as a track bike? Does the price justify it? I was thinking about getting a Look 464P or a Cervélo T1
They are both good entry level aluminum track bikes. There's nothing too special about them (outside of the name). They are on par with other bikes that have been discussed:
- Trek T1
- Felt TK2, TK3
- Bianchi Super Pista
- etc...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.