Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals.
Reload this Page >

Help ID Vintage Cannondale-- 1984, Sport Touring, I think?

Search
Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-13, 09:44 PM
mnmkpedals 

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts

I have a vintage Cannondale and by serial number with the vintage cannondale database seems like it is a 1984. Fortunately they only made a few models then, and pretty certain it is a Sport/touring model. (either ST300 or ST500?) Some of the components match the catalogue specs, but some are way off, then again they dont differentiate b/x the 300 and the 500 component groups. So the pic is below, and here's the scoop on what she has... RDR is clearly a slap-on.

FDR: Suntour Cyclone M-II (matches catalogue)
Brakes: Modolo FLash (?)
Stem: Techtonic (?)
Bars: Belleri (?)
Crank: Sugino AT-- 18 speed
Wheels: Wolber Modelo 58 Super champion (matches).

So am I on the right track? Paint is worn/faded, needs to be completely redone w derailleurs, and gone over, but seems like a decent bike. Anyone have experience with these? Know what they are? I'm especially interested to know diff b/w st300 and 500? And of course, value? Worth fixing to keep or fix and pass on? It's my size, so I have options.

Last edited by mnmkpedals; 09-08-13 at 12:14 AM.
Old 09-04-13, 10:42 PM
mnmkpedals 

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
So I am going to reply to my own post since I think I figured it out. Was rereading the vintage cannondale site and the light bulb went off when it said, "remember, the serial number is date of manufacture and it could be a production for the next model year." so after that, checked out the 85 cannondale catalogue, and components match up perfectly with he 1985 ST500.

So now that I figured that out, any one have experience with these? Recommendations? Value? Obviously in this condition not top dollar, but a decent enough I think, and a pretty good ride to make it worth brining back to see how I like it?
Old 09-04-13, 11:22 PM
zukahn1 

Bikes: Current 79 Nishiki Custum Sport, Jeunet 620, notable previous bikes P.K. Ripper loop tail, Kawahara Laser Lite, Paramount Track full chrome, Raliegh Internatioanl, Motobecan Super Mirage. 59 Crown royak 3 speed

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 790 Post(s)
Liked 1,761 Times in 634 Posts
On a fairly nice mid 80's Canondale in close to original condition I would go $400. These where realy nice bikes and very classic in they where the start beginning of nearly every road bike to come for 20yrs and had just unsurpased American craftsmanship.
Old 09-05-13, 05:29 AM
rccardr 
aka: Dr. Cannondale

Mentioned: 234 Post(s)
Quoted: 2155 Post(s)
Liked 3,403 Times in 1,204 Posts
Definitely worth fixing up and riding if it fits you, especially if you go for the period gearing, 27" tires and the paint isn't too bad. Even in very nice original condition, however, not particularly valuable.

If you're looking for a nice all-arounder to refinish and put a modern drivetrain on, hard to do better.