Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Carbon Seat Rails.

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Carbon Seat Rails.

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-24, 06:46 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7009 Post(s)
Liked 11,006 Times in 4,708 Posts
Originally Posted by Biker Pete
2-3 nm torque, RXL carbon saddle and seat post, 175 lb rider on pretty even roads.
Obviously not relevant to the thread's original post, since it describes something that obviously did not happen with your saddle; in fact, I can't really see any failure in the photo. Am I missing something? I feel like there must be a crack somewhere that I'm not seeing.

btw, 2-3nm seems like a very low torque for a saddle clamp; is that Bontrager's spec?
Old 04-14-24, 08:25 PM
Biker Pete 

Bikes: Kestrel Legend SL, Motobecane Grand Record

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 45 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
Obviously not relevant to the thread's original post, since it describes something that obviously did not happen with your saddle; in fact, I can't really see any failure in the photo. Am I missing something? I feel like there must be a crack somewhere that I'm not seeing.

btw, 2-3nm seems like a very low torque for a saddle clamp; is that Bontrager's spec?
It sounds like you are accusing me of being incapable of breaking something. Well, guilty as charged, but I do have great aspirations.

I read in the instructions to tighten to 4 nm but what ‘felt’ right to me was 2-3 nm. I’m patiently waiting for the cracks to form and the saddle to fall off.
Old 04-14-24, 08:30 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 7009 Post(s)
Liked 11,006 Times in 4,708 Posts
Originally Posted by Biker Pete
It sounds like you are accusing me of being incapable of breaking something. Well, guilty as charged, but I do have great aspirations.

I read in the instructions to tighten to 4 nm but what ‘felt’ right to me was 2-3 nm. I’m patiently waiting for the cracks to form and the saddle to fall off.
Oh, okay, so you're just showing us an example of cf rails that haven't broken. Like almost all of them.

I would torque it to spec, especially since even 4nm isn't much. But you're probably fine.
Old 04-14-24, 09:31 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4387 Post(s)
Liked 4,023 Times in 2,686 Posts
My carbon railed C13 (technically a 17 in width) has supported my more ample rear for many years and is still going strong. It is installed on a Ritchey Classic post and was done properly with a torque wrench. I do occasionally worry about it and would prefer it to be titanium but it was carbon and works fine. So long as you have the correct clamping mechanism for the saddle (check with the manufacturer) and you torque it all properly and don't ride like a maniac you will be fine.

Carbon is quite a strong resilient material. If it wasn't they wouldn't be using it in all the various critical applications they use it in. I know it is easy to hate on carbon certainly it can fail terribly but so can many materials if treated poorly in some way or another.
Old 04-14-24, 09:54 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3959 Post(s)
Liked 7,332 Times in 2,957 Posts
Originally Posted by veganbikes
My carbon railed C13 (technically a 17 in width) has supported my more ample rear for many years ...
If your saddle really is 17 inches wide, you do have an ample rear.
Old 04-14-24, 10:44 PM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3448 Post(s)
Liked 3,592 Times in 1,802 Posts
Originally Posted by 79pmooney
The left clamp is what I was asking about in my earlier post. The clamp edge being into the start of the turn of the rails. CF doesn't "flow" at all so the concentrated force at that clamp edge will never dissipate. I asked the OP if this was the case so we could all learn but I suspect the hostile replies drove him off.
I have no idea what this means, and I’m a mechanical engineer (retired).

Likes For terrymorse:
Old 04-15-24, 07:18 AM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4387 Post(s)
Liked 4,023 Times in 2,686 Posts
Originally Posted by tomato coupe
If your saddle really is 17 inches wide, you do have an ample rear.
No it is the designation from Brooks, they have the C13, C15, C17 and C19. If my rear was that big I would have problems and I doubt I could use a carbon railed saddle or probably most any saddle at that point.