Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

65-85+ Thread

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

65-85+ Thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-17, 04:26 PM
TCR Rider

Bikes: Pinarello Dogma F8 Giant TCR Advanced 2 Jamis Coda

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 115 Posts
Originally Posted by bowzette
for the past year 95% of my riding was on a Wahoo Kickr following a TrainerRoad program-High Volume Sustained Power plan. My FTP increased 7% at lower HR. I was just getting into the good stuff that would have had a significant inpact on increasing FTP. I think a 10-12% total increase in FTP within a year was doable. Unfortunately I have to start off at the beginning again, but that's life and to do this stuff you have to enjoy the "process" and not just the "results". I learned that when training for a marathon years ago. So yes it is back to the Kickr and base miles on the Kickr. Fortunately I like doing this. I'm O/C and like the structure of TR vs Zwift.
Same as you I enjoy the "process". I use Trainer Road for workouts and Zwift for fun. I completed the TR Sweet Spot High Volume base program and the Mid Volume Build program. I've been working on the Mid Volume HIT program. I've been known to take a Trainer Road workout outside into the real world and use the Power Meter on the bike to hit the proper intensity.
I was due for another FTP test but since I'm looking at surgery in less than two weeks I don't see the point. I'm still riding and will continue to ride up to the day before the knee replacement. The only positive is that I can still ride without issues - I did 191 miles last week, it's walking and stairs that are a beotch.
Old 08-28-17, 07:12 PM
bowzette

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
TCR I know it is a disappointment to get fit and then have health issues that are a set back-thus the process and not the end product. got to love it or it isn't worth it. I bet you will be riding soon after the surgery. Light spinning to regain range of motion and better blood circulation. I've all but ridden the bike to the surgery room-might as well :-) I wish you well with the surgery.
Old 08-28-17, 07:30 PM
TCR Rider

Thanks bowzette. Hopefully this old dog has yet one more comeback in him.
Old 08-28-17, 07:39 PM
bowzette

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by TCR Rider
Thanks bowzette. Hopefully this old dog has yet one more comeback in him.
I bet you have plenty of teeth for a good bite
Old 08-29-17, 07:05 PM
TCR Rider

I bet you have plenty of teeth for a good bite
Best teeth money can buy
I just banged out a pretty tough interval workout on TR, Spanish Needle, today and it went better than expected. Makes it even harder to have the surgery.....than I went out to get the mail and got a reality check on the stairs. No way around it it's the knife for me.
Old 08-30-17, 05:50 AM
bowzette

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Best teeth money can buy
I just banged out a pretty tough interval workout on TR, Spanish Needle, today and it went better than expected. Makes it even harder to have the surgery.....than I went out to get the mail and got a reality check on the stairs. No way around it it's the knife for me.
My experience of which I'm acquiring far too much is to have the doc cut as soon as they agree to.
Old 08-30-17, 06:45 AM
RonH
Life is good

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey Helix Pro

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
I was due for another FTP test but since I'm looking at surgery in less than two weeks I don't see the point. I'm still riding and will continue to ride up to the day before the knee replacement. The only positive is that I can still ride without issues - I did 191 miles last week, it's walking and stairs that are a beotch.
If you're lucky the doc will have you on a trainer in only a few days as part of your physical therapy. Good luck.

I am a cyclist. I am not the fastest or the fittest. But I will get to where I'm going with a smile on my face.
Old 08-30-17, 08:55 AM
McBTC

Bikes: 2015 22 Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1543 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 39 Posts

No way around it it's the knife for me.

Interestingly, there was a debate about the pros and cons of drainage for TKAs. Those who now choose not to have drains probably are among the greatest number of those who do a lot of revision cases due to infection. Only a small number of cases go awry but with the total number of TKAs being so large, even a small percentage results in 50,000 revisions per year (e.g., on TKAs done as many as 3-4 years earlier). So, the revision docs generally are the youngest and most knowledgeable of the latest thinking. There also has been changes in localized anesthesia, the use of which has become more common now that we have magnetic imaging, which enables precise location of the catheter, providing a micro drip in the area of the hip that intercepts pain signals before they ever get to your back.

Last edited by McBTC; 08-30-17 at 09:02 AM.
Old 08-30-17, 08:17 PM
TCR Rider

Originally Posted by RonH
If you're lucky the doc will have you on a trainer in only a few days as part of your physical therapy. Good luck.
Thanks. At this point I just want to get the surgery behind me so I can get on with the rehab.
Old 08-30-17, 08:25 PM
TCR Rider

My experience of which I'm acquiring far too much is to have the doc cut as soon as they agree to.
A week from tomorrow - Sept 7. Just had the pre-surgery work up. It's getting real
Old 08-31-17, 04:53 AM
bowzette

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
A week from tomorrow - Sept 7. Just had the pre-surgery work up. It's getting real
Morphine is my drug of choice. Sherlock concurs
Old 08-31-17, 09:42 AM
TCR Rider

Accept no substitutes
Old 08-31-17, 09:48 AM
RonH
Life is good

Accept no substitutes
Post surgery ask for Norco for any pain. I got some from my pain doc for my spinal stenosis and it's awesome.

I am a cyclist. I am not the fastest or the fittest. But I will get to where I'm going with a smile on my face.
Old 08-31-17, 01:49 PM
metalheart44

Bikes: Holland Exogrid & Holland HC

Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
After my second TKR I had some severe pain from a botched spinal and it was much worse than the surgery site. At one point I could not lay on my back or side and I was just beside myself. Morphine barely touched the pain and after a few more hours I received a shot of dilaudid. Almost as soon as the stuff was in my veins the pain just disappeared, the best pain relief I have ever had from anything. I'm not a fan of morphine because of how it makes me feel, but it does the job.

Norco is effective pain relief after surgery, but you probably know to taper down your dose as your pain allows. I weaned myself quickly after TKR#2 and switched to tylenol and that worked well. Any you probably also know about the constipation side-effects, so be prepared to deal with that.

Good luck next week with the TKR. I rode right up to the day before surgery, put in about 50 miles for my pre surgery ride.
Old 08-31-17, 03:21 PM
TCR Rider

I still have some Norco left over from my last surgery to repair a mal-union of a pelvic fracture and revision of a hip replacement. I couldn't get off that quick enough. As mentioned the constipation was brutal. From the TMI file I had to have an enema to get the bowels back on line. Right now I'm managing the pain with Tramadol and Diclofenac which is doing a pretty good job. That and icing after rides.
I also plan on riding right up to the surgery just as I have been up to this point.
Old 08-31-17, 03:34 PM
metalheart44

Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
After the second TKR I drank lots of water as well as prune juice and ate a dose of prunes and other fiber like grapes, apricots, and whole grains. I also started taking a stool softener and Miralax right away and all of those things seemed to help since I had no issues the second time. But, you are right, limiting how much you take for how long is the key to staving off the adverse effects!
Old 08-31-17, 05:10 PM
RonH
Life is good

I still have some Norco left over from my last surgery to repair a mal-union of a pelvic fracture and revision of a hip replacement. I couldn't get off that quick enough. As mentioned the constipation was brutal.
I forgot to mention that when I take a pill I also take an over the counter stool softener.

Old 08-31-17, 08:06 PM
philbob57

Bikes: frankenbike based on MKM frame

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 716 Post(s)
Liked 613 Times in 377 Posts
Tramadol is a synthetic opioid. It can have constipating side effects. See Tramadol vs. Hydrocodone: Differences, Side Effects, and Interactions, for example.
Old 08-31-17, 08:50 PM
TCR Rider

Originally Posted by philbob57
Tramadol is a synthetic opioid. It can have constipating side effects. See Tramadol vs. Hydrocodone: Differences, Side Effects, and Interactions, for example.
I realize that Tramadol is an opioid but for whatever reason it doesn't affect me the same way norco does.
Old 09-02-17, 11:33 AM
McBTC

Bikes: 2015 22 Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1543 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 39 Posts
I'm a bit over a month ahead of you (July 28th for me). I was told by the therapist yesterday that you've got the first two months after surgery to get what ROM you're 'gonna get (perhaps some in the 3rd month). For me, they're shooting for 120°. I'm at 100° up from 98° last week (generally, they shoot for 7° /week but that'll be harder in my case due to swelling). My action item over the weekend involves use of a stationary trainer, continuing to bring the seat closer to the pedals as I get close to turning the cranks over the top, and using by hands to elevate the knee and holding for 5 sec. at a pain level of "6" and do this for 5 minutes 3X /day. After that, I can put the seat back if I want and rev the cranks tor 5 minutes to work the muscles. So, hopefully 107° by about Tuesday...
Old 09-02-17, 05:52 PM
TCR Rider

Originally Posted by McBTC
I'm a bit over a month ahead of you (July 28th for me). I was told by the therapist yesterday that you've got the first two months after surgery to get what ROM you're 'gonna get (perhaps some in the 3rd month). For me, they're shooting for 120°. I'm at 100° up from 98° last week (generally, they shoot for 7° /week but that'll be harder in my case due to swelling). My action item over the weekend involves use of a stationary trainer, continuing to bring the seat closer to the pedals as I get close to turning the cranks over the top, and using by hands to elevate the knee and holding for 5 sec. at a pain level of "6" and do this for 5 minutes 3X /day. After that, I can put the seat back if I want and rev the cranks tor 5 minutes to work the muscles. So, hopefully 107° by about Tuesday...
Everything I've read or watched on youtube agrees with that. It's a race against scar tissue and it starts to form quickly. I plan to really work on extension and flexion asap. I watched a video of the surgery and I've got to say it made me a bit queasy.
I'm planing on going to a rehab from the hospital if possible. I did that after my hip replacement and pelvic surgery and it really helped getting my recovery going in the right direction. The main problem with this plan is that I'm now on Medicare so we shall see if I can swing it. In the meantime I'm still getting my rides in, just got back from a 52 miler. Might as well ride as long as I can.

Sounds as if your recovery is going well - best of luck to you.
Old 09-03-17, 08:18 AM
metalheart44

Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Depending on which Medicare plan you have and your home situation, it is possible to have a PT come to your house for rehab work 2/3 times per week. That is what happened for each of my surgeries. I asked around a bit before surgery for recommendations for companies and specific PTs and I was pleased with the in-home treatment and then I went to an outpatient PT clinic. Eventually, I knew what to do and it was just as easy to do the PT exercises at home. I have other friends with Medicare who went to a Rehab facility for the first week and that was a good transition that worked well for them.
Old 09-03-17, 06:24 PM
TCR Rider

Originally Posted by metalheart44
Depending on which Medicare plan you have and your home situation, it is possible to have a PT come to your house for rehab work 2/3 times per week. That is what happened for each of my surgeries. I asked around a bit before surgery for recommendations for companies and specific PTs and I was pleased with the in-home treatment and then I went to an outpatient PT clinic. Eventually, I knew what to do and it was just as easy to do the PT exercises at home. I have other friends with Medicare who went to a Rehab facility for the first week and that was a good transition that worked well for them.
I can have PT come to the house and I intend to have that when I get home but I really want to go to a rehab first. I spoke to the case manager at the hospital and she said that it might be an issue getting Medicare to cover it for a single joint replacement. I'm still going to pursue that option and play up the fact that I have some other orthopedic issues that should be factored in. Can't hurt to give it a shot.
Old 09-05-17, 03:28 PM
Grunts

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yep, I'm in at 65!
Old 09-06-17, 07:01 AM
RonH
Life is good

Originally Posted by Grunts
Yep, I'm in at 65!
Glad you made it. Now tell us about yourself and your bike(s).

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.