Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Recumbent
Reload this Page >

Trike Questions

Search
Notices
Recumbent What IS that thing?! Recumbents may be odd looking, but they have many advantages over a "wedgie" bicycle. Discuss the in's and out's recumbent lifestyle in the recumbent forum.

Trike Questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-17, 04:31 AM
bowzette

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Any thoughts/experience with the comparison of the suspension system between the Cat Road AR/ Dumont and ICE Sprint 26? Is the Cat adjustable air shock with 50 mm of travel superior for handling the bigger shock from potholes, big cracked, dropped pavement, large bumps than the ICE non-adjustable isomer system re: the rear wheel? I'm guessing the ICE front suspension with 40 mm of travel is smoother than the Cat with only 12 mm of travel? I also assume rear suspension is more important than front suspension? Would the ICE provide a smoother ride on chipped seal but the Cat handle the "big wacks" better? I will test ride if and when I can-got to see if Easy Street will cut a boom for short legged demos for the Cats. But a large old shopping strip isn't the same as a long ride on the road.
Old 09-07-17, 06:37 AM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18381 Post(s)
Liked 4,512 Times in 3,354 Posts
Whew, one can spend quite a bit on those trikes!!!

I just bought a used trike built at our local co-op, and have been enjoying taking it out a bit. What I will say is that it changes the way pressure is applied to the back, so it may or may not be better than an standard upright bike.

I have no suspension. 20x1.75, I think. Anyway, I haven't been paying attention, but haven't noticed a lot of jarring, except on rare occasions when I run over something or hit a big hole (sometimes it is hard to avoid with 3 tires on the ground). But the suspension is something you'll have to try out. Chipseal doesn't seem to be a major problem.

Hopefully your bike shop will allow you to go for an extended test ride. 10+ miles? A day? Demo model? My trike uses the DualDrive, so with a long cage derailleur, I get some boom adjustment.

One thing I discovered with my trike is that I'm 100% self supporting, and my trike has absolutely no storage, and a backpack isn't convenient. I'm going to try to build a custom rack for it, but that would certainly be something to look at.
Old 09-07-17, 07:48 AM
VegasTriker

Bikes: Catrike 700, Greenspeed GTO trike, , Linear LWB recumbent, Haluzak Horizon SWB recumbent, Balance 450 MTB, Cannondale SM800 Beast of the East

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 523 Post(s)
Liked 230 Times in 182 Posts
You are comparing a home-built trike with one that has been designed and manufactured by one of the best trike companies on the planet (Catrike, ICE, Greenspeed, and HP Velotechnic) and there likely is no comparison between them. My Catrike 700 seat has underseat storage sufficient for me to carry a pump, two spare tubes of each size, a multitool, tire irons, and a separate storage area for identification and emergency money. It's a well thought out seat. I can also carry a lock by hanging a small handlebar bag off the frame behind the seat. It's enough for anything shy of groceries which can also be carried without a rack by simply hanging a cloth bag off the frame behind the seat as well. I made a DIY attachment for a standard rack but decided it wasn't needed for ordinary riding and removed it.
Old 09-07-17, 10:44 AM
Steamer
Zircon Encrusted Tweezers

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Liked 132 Times in 84 Posts
I use this bag on my trike. https://www.radicaldesign.com/recumb...sal-racer.html

I also use it on my recumbent bikes - it's very adaptable and works with almost any recumbent type with any type of seat.

There are bigger versions available but this size works well for almost all of my rides.
Old 09-07-17, 12:56 PM
CliffordK

Originally Posted by VegasTriker
You are comparing a home-built trike with one that has been designed and manufactured by one of the best trike companies on the planet (Catrike, ICE, Greenspeed, and HP Velotechnic) and there likely is no comparison between them.
More like a well built prototype. And the local co-op does make low production foot first cargo/utility bikes. The trike does have some issues that I'll be working on over this fall.

Co-op doesn't always mean a bad thing. Burley was a local co-op that made some great trailers recumbents, and tandems, at least for the era.

Perhaps I'll try to get a little more history as to when/why my trike was built.

I was considering making a storage compartment for next to the seat on my trike. I'm glad to hear the under the seat compartments on some of the above models. The seats do look a bit more advanced than I have too. Anyway, for my type of utility riding, a rear rack and panniers would be a must, and will be built soon (no place to simply bolt it on at the moment.

Nonetheless, I would still advise that if the OP is able to test-ride a couple of trikes, that he should be more concerned with how the trike feels on the road than the paper specs.
Old 09-07-17, 04:20 PM
bowzette

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
This afternoon I sat in a Road AR, Dumont and ICE Sprint with mesh seat. Hopped back and forth and played with seat angle. In two weeks the doc will let me do some light riding so I will test ride these in a large strip shopping mall. Road is a bit rough with speed bumps and opportunity to do a lot of turning. Not like a long road ride but it's the best I will get for test rides. I will be able to ride the ICE with the hardshell seat as well as mesh. It looks to me the rear suspension on the Catrike should be superior to the ICE and the FS on the ICE superior to the Cat. Test ride will be interesting.
Old 09-08-17, 08:06 AM
CliffordK

I took the trike out again today. It is still a bit new to me. Anyway, I don't have suspension and tried to pay attention to bumps.

I didn't hardly notice chipseal. So, I think the larger tires (20x1.75) are probably adequate to minimize the effects of chipseal.

However, I could definitely feel any larger bumps, but it gave me a feeling of connection to the road. A short rough gravel section definitely was bumpy.

I'm still not sure I'd be concerned about suspension. HOWEVER, in your case, it is quite possible that ordinary jarring from riding could be painful or bad for the back. So, with that in mind, perhaps the best suspension you could get would be of benefit. Independent front + rear? Shocks?
Old 09-08-17, 08:41 AM
bowzette

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I don't think the chipped seal is a significant issue and neither are the potholes-not that many of them on most of the roads. The problem is the unstable soil and the lack of proper maintance by the counties on these roads. There are frequent sections where the right side car tire rides that are broken up or dropped down and poorly repair or not repair at all. Sometimes just one lane and other places in both lanes. These sections run for feet and some cases for yards. I think most of this will be missed by the rear wheel but hit by the right front wheel unless I can move to the center of the two lane, no shoulder road. Theses roads have very little traffic and general a good line of sight so as long as I'm sure no one is behind me I can move to the center. Avoiding the really rough spots on a one track bike is easy. With a three track trike it will be more of a challenge. I really need to find a way to ride these roads with a rigid trike and a suspended one to determine if suspension is that big of a deal. It cost $1000 or more and adds a lot of weight.
Old 09-08-17, 11:35 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
I posted this somewhere before. IMO, and checked out with my doctor, I have a theory that the bumps and vibration of an unsuspended trike is good for you. All the bumps and vibration causes all your internal membranes that holds all your internal parts in place to basically get stronger like weight lifting.
Old 09-08-17, 02:20 PM
bowzette

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by rydabent
I posted this somewhere before. IMO, and checked out with my doctor, I have a theory that the bumps and vibration of an unsuspended trike is good for you. All the bumps and vibration causes all your internal membranes that holds all your internal parts in place to basically get stronger like weight lifting.
This is an interesting concept. I wished I had run this past the doc. Walking and jogging like weigh lifting are good for avoiding or reducing osteoporosis.
Old 09-08-17, 03:08 PM
CliffordK

One thing I've noticed about the trike is that it is a lot harder to look back than on the regular road bike. A bad back might make it even worse, so a mirror would definitely be handy if you're doing some avoidance maneuvers.

It is tricky to avoid a pothole with all three wheels, and sometimes one has to just accept the bumps. One can get small ones like those water covers in the city to go between the wheels.

I like rydabent's theory. I'll have to consider that some, but I do believe in a "use it or loose it" theory, especially with aging. At least, the more I ride (upright bike), the better the knees, and perhaps the better the back too. Too much jogging would be bad, but I should probably consider incorporating a little more jogging in my routine.

I am a little surprised that quadricycles aren't more popular. There might be several advantages including avoiding bumps and debris with the rear wheels. Better rear wheel traction and braking by moving the wheel forward?
Old 09-08-17, 04:38 PM
esther-L

Bikes: tandem, road bike, hybrid

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Quadricycles might require changes to laws to make them road-legal. The federal definition of bicycle is up to 3 wheels. 4 wheeled vehicles may automatically fall into the ATV category if there is no specific law which applies to them.

I have an opinion about mesh seats. I ride a 2-wheeled tandem recumbent which uses RANS seat (mesh back and foam seat) and an ELF (entirely mesh seat). My behind gets hot and very sweaty on the RANS seat. I feel better on the entirely mesh seat. Note that neither of those 2 bikes have highly reclined rider positions.
Old 09-08-17, 05:17 PM
adamrice 
mosquito rancher

Bikes: Bob Jackson 853 Arrowhead; Felt VR30; Kinesis UK RTD; Hujsak tandem

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked 181 Times in 133 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK
a mirror would definitely be handy
In my experience, a mirror is a necessity on a trike.
Old 09-09-17, 04:24 PM
bowzette

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
yep. plan on having two.
Old 09-09-17, 07:27 PM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1514 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
Originally Posted by adamrice
In my experience, a mirror is a necessity on a trike.
The general consensus is that a mirror is a necessity on any recumbent.
Old 09-17-17, 06:31 AM
bowzette

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by bowzette
This afternoon I sat in a Road AR, Dumont and ICE Sprint with mesh seat. Hopped back and forth and played with seat angle. In two weeks the doc will let me do some light riding so I will test ride these in a large strip shopping mall. Road is a bit rough with speed bumps and opportunity to do a lot of turning. Not like a long road ride but it's the best I will get for test rides. I will be able to ride the ICE with the hardshell seat as well as mesh. It looks to me the rear suspension on the Catrike should be superior to the ICE and the FS on the ICE superior to the Cat. Test ride will be interesting.
I spent several hours yesterday at Easy Street in Austin riding a Catrike Road AR, Dumont and the basic ICE Sprint 26. The Sprint was non-suspended and had the entry level 9 speed with twist shifters. The Sprint also had a VTX medium hardshell seat installed so I could get a feel for the seat. The seat didn't fit the Sprint that well so it wasn't a good test of the seat. They all were nice and could live with any of them. I liked the 26 rear wheel better than the 20". I test rode the trikes on rough chipped seal but without many dips or holes. I liked the ICE indirect steering a little better than the direct steering, thought it road smoothly on the chipped seal for not having suspension and the twist shifters were fine with me. But I bought the Dumont. I thought it to be the best buy and think I need the suspension for the rough-dips, bumps, broken road surface, cracks, and lips-of the roads I ride. If I had the opportunity to ride a suspended Sprint I may have preferred it over the Dumont but it is a lot more expensive so I was spared that decision.
Old 09-17-17, 06:45 AM
Hoopdriver
On Holiday

Bikes: A bunch of old steel bikes

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 12 Posts
The Dumont is a very nice, well engineered trike. I'm sure that you'll be happy with your decision. What color did you buy?
Old 09-17-17, 07:51 AM
bowzette

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
There were a purple and red in stock. I choose the purple.
Old 09-17-17, 08:21 AM
bowzette

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
err "chose" the purple
Old 09-17-17, 10:45 AM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)