Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Creaking bottom bracket

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Creaking bottom bracket

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-20, 06:24 PM
digibud

Bikes: Spec Roubaix, three Fisher Montare, two Pugs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Creaking bottom bracket

I weigh in around 230 plus or minus. I've had two carbon fiber bikes replaced thus far. My first Roubaix was replaced with a sweet SWorks Roubaix that developed creaking. My mech and I struggled to get it silent. The zert insert seemed to be the culprit one time. Then worse creaking began last summer and it seemed to be under control with a BB replacement but began creaking again this season. Made me crazy. I do all my own wrenching except BB work and I swapped pedals, wheels, shoes, and it remained even if I stood while pedaling so it wasn't the saddle. I gave up and let my mech know I was going to bring it in and possibly replace the BB with a Praxis after market. Before that I made one last stab and greased the skewers because that cured a creak on a Mtn bike some years ago and I removed the water bottle cages and cleaned the internal threads and greased the bolt threads and replace that. Voila. No more creaking. It was probably the skewers but who knows. The stupid press fit BB is a horrible thing but I'm happy it's now all good. Thought I'd mention it because it's not the most common place to look to solve a creaking bike. It only made noise under power but it was every pedal under power and now is silent.
Likes For digibud:
Old 05-19-20, 09:56 PM
bldegle2
Dangerous Old Man

Bikes: 2 custom built full Carbon road bikes, built by Moi...

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
The creaking skewer. I chased much the same for months, then replaced the rear skewer and viola, silence. Yes, me too for different pedals, two different bottom brackets, double and triple checked spokes on rear wheel, checked every nut and bolt on the bike. Skewers, who would have thought.....