Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Can not fit speedo drive unit on wheel.....

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-20, 02:13 PM
interceptor
not revenge...punishment

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 12 Posts

Have a '70 Raleigh Sports with original wheel, can not get speedometer drive unit to fit front wheel.
Can not get fork spread to fit unit!

Old 06-06-20, 02:20 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
May be incompatible tru again on a beach cruiser.. Pegging @ 60kph, in your dreams..
Old 06-06-20, 02:48 PM
interceptor
not revenge...punishment

Forks not spreading at all to fit unit.........looking for pics to see if I can find Raleigh with this speedometer.....

PIC OF DRIVE UNIT IN SPOKES IS JUST SHOWING WHAT I HAVE!!!

I know how to install but unit is too tight.......I believe I had this type of unit on a Raleigh wheel before!

Last edited by interceptor; 06-06-20 at 05:31 PM.
Old 06-06-20, 05:40 PM
thumpism 
Bikes are okay, I guess.

Bikes: Waterford Paramount Touring, Giant CFM-2, Raleigh Sports 3-speeds in M23 & L23, Schwinn Cimarron oddball build, Marin Palisades Trail dropbar conversion, Nishiki Cresta GT

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 2647 Post(s)
Liked 2,446 Times in 1,557 Posts
You might have to pry the Raleigh axle loose from its moorings in the fork tips. I know that when I've worked on them (had three Sportses and am now down to two) it seems like they sometimes hang up on removal. Approach from the front and remove the axle nuts, then invert your hands and wrap your fingers around the lower parts of the fork blades at the curve with your thumbs on the axle ends and see if you can pry things loose. Might need the proverbial Bigger Hammer or a pry bar. It'll come out.

Adding that speedo drive will make things even tighter when you put it back together, so get your best words ready.
Old 06-06-20, 06:02 PM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1821 Post(s)
Liked 1,697 Times in 977 Posts
Where is the speedometer cable? Won't work without it
Old 06-06-20, 06:06 PM
interceptor
not revenge...punishment

Yea, very hard to remove wheel. Hoping I never get a flat on a hot miserable day!!! Would be using EXTREME words and would
probably go into crazy mode and destroy the bike!! I might just not use the speedo and save my sanity by leaving the wheel alone.
Thanks!
Old 06-06-20, 08:24 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2747 Post(s)
Liked 3,401 Times in 2,058 Posts
See front hubs

https://www.sheldonbrown.com/english-3.html
Old 06-06-20, 08:46 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4211 Post(s)
Liked 3,881 Times in 2,316 Posts
Those Raleigh ft hubs and drop outs have a less common design which make mounting this type of spedo drive problematic.

First is that the cones butt right up against the drop out inner face with no locknuts, the outer axle nuts do double duty as both wheel securing and bearing cone lock nuts. Knowing this will avoid crushed or loose bearings in the future. Do your homework here.

Second is that without a cone locknut each time the ft wheel is removed the spedo drive unit will come loose. The "right" way to install this is between a cone and a locknut, trapping the drive unit in place (and the cable is unscrewed from the drive unit when the wheel is removed).

Third is that the fork blade end often will contact the drive unit and cause it to cock and not spin with minimal friction. Over time this will wear the soft metal that these low cost units are made of.

The last thing has nothing to do with the mounting but that these spedos are never spot on. Or even close. I had a few when I was a kid, back in the late 1960s. There's a hill near where I grew up that my Stewart Wagner 26" spedo would register near 50mph as I descended on my Huffy Mk10 (26x1 3/8" tires). Years later with a SKY tire drive spedo I "saw" about 35mph at full tilt. Being stronger and on a bike with 27x 1 1/4 tires anyone would have thought even more speed was to be expected. later with my earlier electronic "computers" which had a tire circumference setting ability I saw closer to 30mph typically. I was even stronger, heavier and by then riding sew ups. Andy (who still goes that fast in his dreams)
Old 06-06-20, 09:46 PM
interceptor
not revenge...punishment

OK, thanks for the info.....it's a no for this speedo!
Old 06-06-20, 10:04 PM
WizardOfBoz
Generally bewildered

Bikes: 2014 Trek Domane 6.9, 1999 LeMond Zurich, 1978 Schwinn Superior

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1152 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 251 Posts
Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
I saw closer to 30mph typically. I was even stronger, heavier and by then riding sew ups. Andy (who still goes that fast in his dreams)
I have this mental picture of you on the sofa, asleep, with your legs peddling.

I remember seeing dogs lying asleep and then seeing their little paws zooming around as they chased the squirrel in there sleep. I guess we can be happy for dreams: I still scream on my (now gone) Paramount in MY dreams. You zip on your bike in your dreams. And the dogs - the dogs catch the squirrel I guess. But only in dreams. Sigh.
Old 06-07-20, 07:01 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4211 Post(s)
Liked 3,881 Times in 2,316 Posts
My feet cramp up when I sleep, others might see this as me dreaming of riding. I see it as old age. Andy
Old 06-07-20, 07:25 AM
bldegle2
Dangerous Old Man

Bikes: 2 custom built full Carbon road bikes, built by Moi...

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Or, for less than $7 (hint, I bought one on a lark) you can get this...works great. A little modern with the old...does the same as my uber expensive older Cateye wireless on my other bike.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1-100PCS-IP...72.m2749.l2649

Last edited by bldegle2; 06-07-20 at 07:31 AM.