Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Bottom Bracket/Crank Arm Damage

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-20, 07:16 PM
eugew23

Bikes: '86 Bianchi Limited'78 Centurion LeMans, '89 Centurion Ironman Master

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts

Hello all,
I noticed something was off with my '78 Centurion LeMans when the non-drive side crank arm started to feel loose when I pedaled. I took it off today to find out that the threads on the spindle (?) of the bb (correct me if I'm wrong please, I'm not exactly sure what this part is called) is chipped. Is this salvageable, or do I need to replace it? Any information regarding what my issue is, or how I can resolve this would be helpful!

Last edited by eugew23; 05-01-20 at 07:22 PM. Reason: Grammar
Old 05-01-20, 07:36 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4211 Post(s)
Liked 3,880 Times in 2,315 Posts
I've seen this more then a few times. The axle is hardened and as such tends to not deform like most abused threads do at first. It chips instead. Try threading a nut back on. How does it seem to fit. This is all judgement based so we can't give other then opinions. Most of the time I've dealt with this the axle's threads were in good enough condition so the nut went on and off easily and with a lot of remaining contact surface. Only a very few times did I feel the reusing the axle would not be the right thing to do to a customer. I have to admit I don't remember any of these, when I left the axle as is, coming back with further issues. Of course some of that is also about the crank arm condition and how you torque down the nut (and test ride then re torque). Andy
Old 05-01-20, 08:51 PM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 723 Posts
If the nut cannot be secured satisfactorily a replacement spindle can be obtained, or a cartridge-type bottom bracket installed.
Old 05-01-20, 11:03 PM
cpach

Bikes: Too many. Giant Trance X 29, Surly Midnight Special get the most time.

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 533 Post(s)
Liked 313 Times in 237 Posts
It's had to tell from the photos but it also looks like the actual taper interface may be slightly messed up as well. I'd just replace it with a cheap cartridge BB and call it a day.
Old 05-02-20, 09:12 AM
bldegle2
Dangerous Old Man

Bikes: 2 custom built full Carbon road bikes, built by Moi...

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
The threads do look damaged. Basically you need to chase it with an threading die. You can see lots of material in the thread valley's and some of the thread ridges themselves are gone on the top side. After chasing to fix whats is left and the nut goes on properly (I would get a new nut), reassemble and see what is...
Old 05-02-20, 09:16 AM
sweeks

Bikes: Airborne "Carpe Diem", Motobecane "Mirage", Trek 6000, Strida 2, Dahon "Helios XL", Dahon "Mu XL", Tern "Verge S11i"

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 584 Times in 401 Posts
If the nut doesn't thread on easily, you can get a "THREAD FILE" to restore the threads. Chances are when you removed the nut, the threads were set more-or-less right. The chip, unless you somehow impacted the left-side crank, might well have been there since the bike was new.
Of more concern, IMO, is the possibility that riding the bike with a loose crank has damaged the square taper on the crank since it's aluminum (softer than the crank axle). If this is the case, a new BB cartridge will not be the final solution.
I'd recommend re-installing the crank, torquing it properly, then riding it. Check the torque after a few miles, then after a couple of longer intervals. If it doesn't loosen up again, you're home free.
Old 05-02-20, 05:21 PM
eugew23

Bikes: '86 Bianchi Limited'78 Centurion LeMans, '89 Centurion Ironman Master

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Thanks for everyone's input.
I have already tried threading the original nut back in, but it will not secure properly and cannot be torqued properly. I can't really tell if the nut is any good, but I'll try a different one and see how it goes. Hopefully, I didn't already screw up the threading on the axle already while removing the nut the first time...
Old 05-02-20, 06:09 PM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
Nobody's mentioned the crank arm but my bet is the square hole is, since it was loose, the square hole is buggered badly enough to be un-fixable too.
Old 05-02-20, 09:08 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4211 Post(s)
Liked 3,880 Times in 2,315 Posts
Originally Posted by Retro Grouch
Nobody's mentioned the crank arm but my bet is the square hole is, since it was loose, the square hole is buggered badly enough to be un-fixable too.
My ending sentence in post 2 alluded to this. Andy
Old 05-03-20, 07:32 AM
sweeks

Bikes: Airborne "Carpe Diem", Motobecane "Mirage", Trek 6000, Strida 2, Dahon "Helios XL", Dahon "Mu XL", Tern "Verge S11i"

Originally Posted by Retro Grouch
See also the middle paragraph in post 6.
Old 05-03-20, 08:16 AM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3591 Post(s)
Liked 3,401 Times in 1,935 Posts
Originally Posted by bldegle2
The threads do look damaged. Basically you need to chase it with an threading die.
Originally Posted by sweeks
If the nut doesn't thread on easily, you can get a "THREAD FILE" to restore the threads.
BB spindles are hardened steel, and resist reforming with dies or thread files. If the retaining nut does not engage securely, the best solution is to replace the spindle (remove from the bike; the spindle should be marked with an arcane code you can use to match with a suitable replacement) or install a modern cartridge bottom bracket, although that may take some experimentation to get the right spindle length.
Old 05-03-20, 09:23 AM
sweeks

Originally Posted by JohnDThompson
BB spindles are hardened steel, and resist reforming with dies or thread files.
Yes, I'm aware of this. The files are also hardened, and though it's not as effective as it should be small defects in the threads can be removed with some effort (in my limited experience). It's probably hard on the file. I sure wouldn't use a die unless I were willing to throw it away. Your recommendation to replace the spindle is the most reasonable.
Old 05-03-20, 11:07 AM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1944 Post(s)
Liked 2,164 Times in 1,323 Posts
So, what are your plans? About 15 years ago the woman next door moved and left a couple of bikes half rusted in her back yard. One was an 80’s Lemans. I stripped off what wasn’t rusted/frozen. Included was a 116mm threaded spindle.

Those cranks are probably 144bcd, which limits you to a minimum 41t inside chainring.

Personally, I would go with a more versatile crank and a cartridge bb, but PM me if you want the spindle. I probably have the GLP cranks somewhere around here.

John