Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Is it addictive??

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Is it addictive??

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-07, 10:35 PM
RayB

Bikes: Civia Bryant, Tern Eclipse UNO, Brompton

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Is it addictive??

That look that your coworkers give you when you've just cycled into work. That look that says, your a nutter. I do enjoy it. Makes me feel like I have accomplished something over the tin can/train/subway sheep.

Hmmm, crammed into a tight area with a bunch of smelly people twice a day..... Or a nice relaxing ride into work. I don't see what is so hard for people to digest about our choice to cycle commute.

Maybe they are the nutters.
Old 01-01-07, 10:35 PM
seely
The Rabbi

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Healthiest addiction if you ask me.
Old 01-01-07, 11:15 PM
ax0n
Trans-Urban Velocommando

Bikes: 06 Trek 1200 - 98 DB Outlook - 99 DB Sorrento

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It's highly addictive. Just make sure you can clean off when you get to work, or your cow-orkers (intentional misspell) will be sitting with a stinky cyclist all day.
Old 01-02-07, 12:43 AM
gizem310
Mutt Owner

Bikes: Trek 520

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So addictive that I don't/won't/can't drive unless I absolutely have to!
Old 01-02-07, 01:12 AM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 711 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
I wouldn't know...I only get looks of respect, admiration, even worshipful awe--when I walk in with snow crusted on my helmet and coating the front surfaces of my body.

Ha ha! I know I can't fool you guys, I get the same looks you get. They think I'm nuckin' futs....and I love it!

"Think Outside the Cage"
Old 01-02-07, 01:21 AM
RomSpaceKnight

Bikes: Devinci Taos, Mielle Alpha

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I like it!!!! Arrive at work with your lungs heaving, your heart pounding and all sorts of lovely natural chemicals coursing through your veins. What a rush!!!! And the looks on co-workers faces, that cross between respect and derision. How else can you elicit looks like that. Besides exposing your johnson or boobies to the world.
Old 01-02-07, 07:22 AM
nashcommguy
nashcommguy

Bikes: Commuters: Fuji Delray road, Fuji Discovery mtb...Touring: Softride Traveler...Road: C-dale SR300

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yeah, it's addictive...all those endorphins and heart/lung benefits...there oughtta be a law! Most people will give you your due respect for being so far out of the box...in their estimation. Those who deride...well eff 'em...they don't get it and never will.
Old 01-02-07, 08:07 AM
crtreedude 
Third World Layabout

Bikes: Cannondale F900 and Tandem

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 397 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 22 Posts
Sure it is addictive, but the looks I get is admiration and fear. But then, I am the president of the company, it might explain things...
Old 01-02-07, 11:53 AM
Nate1952

Location: Salt Lake City - Turn North at Moab, Go Back 50 Years
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I started 2-wheel commuting for medical reasons ... and then found myself blindsided by those sneaky endorphins, so that dark, frosty days when it's a problem to ride generate a cold, dark mood as well.

One thing in particular I would like to point out:

One of the Top 5 arguments against bicycle commuting is that the rider will "get killed" ... and very quickly.

Whatever other emotions your coworkers might be feeling upon seeing you arrive - day after day - glowing a little bit (and maybe breathing hard) they must register - somewhere in their minds - that you have once again arrived at the office without a problem.

Challenging the common preconception of bicycle commuting as "foolhardy" or "suicide" is the key to pushing interested coworkers "off the fence" and onto bicycle seats of their own.
Old 01-02-07, 11:58 AM
joejack951

Bikes: 2016 Hong Fu FM-079-F, 1984 Trek 660, 2005 Iron Horse Warrior Expert, 2009 Pedal Force CX1, 2016 Islabikes Beinn 20 (son's)

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1242 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 65 Posts
Originally Posted by Nate1952
I started 2-wheel commuting for medical reasons ... and then found myself blindsided by those sneaky endorphins, so that dark, frosty days when it's a problem to ride generate a cold, dark mood as well.
I have to disagree here. I love a good, cold morning for a commute to work by bike. I hate the thought of a cold car seat plus having to wait while the d@mn thing warms up.

Originally Posted by Nate1952
One thing in particular I would like to point out:

One of the Top 5 arguments against bicycle commuting is that the rider will "get killed" ... and very quickly.

Whatever other emotions your coworkers might be feeling upon seeing you arrive - day after day - glowing a little bit (and maybe breathing hard) they must register - somewhere in their minds - that you have once again arrived at the office without a problem.

Challenging the common preconception of bicycle commuting as "foolhardy" or "suicide" is the key to pushing interested coworkers "off the fence" and onto bicycle seats of their own.
Full agreement here Not that I've persuaded anybody to change their commuting habits but I have convinced quite a few that a cyclist can very easily commute on the same roads they drive on.
Old 01-02-07, 12:03 PM
ax0n
Trans-Urban Velocommando

Bikes: 06 Trek 1200 - 98 DB Outlook - 99 DB Sorrento

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Cold days are the best for commuting! Not am I only warm and 1/4 mile into my trip by the time it would have taken me to clear a light frost from my windsheild, I'm already at my destination before my car could have gotten warmed up.
Old 01-02-07, 12:04 PM
AndrewP

Bikes: Peugeot Hybrid, Minelli Hybrid

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Bike = 2.5 hrs/day quality recreation
Public transport with good book = 2.5 hrs/day relaxation
Car = 1.25 hrs/day boredom
Old 01-02-07, 12:08 PM
chipcom 
Infamous Member

Bikes: Surly Big Dummy, Fuji World, 80ish Bianchi

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by RomSpaceKnight
I like it!!!! Arrive at work with your lungs heaving, your heart pounding and all sorts of lovely natural chemicals coursing through your veins. What a rush!!!! And the looks on co-workers faces, that cross between respect and derision. How else can you elicit looks like that. Besides exposing your johnson or boobies to the world.
Wait till the new guy calls the cops, convinced that you just ***** somebody.
"Let us hope our weapons are never needed --but do not forget what the common people knew when they demanded the Bill of Rights: An armed citizenry is the first defense, the best defense, and the final defense against tyranny. If guns are outlawed, only the government will have guns. Only the police, the secret police, the military, the hired servants of our rulers. Only the government -- and a few outlaws. I intend to be among the outlaws" - Edward Abbey
Old 01-02-07, 12:17 PM
newbojeff
Commuter First

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Additction?! I don't have an addiction? What are you talking about?! Me?!

Sure I ride my bike to work almost every day, waste countless hours on BF, enjoy working on bikes, enjoy reading about working on bikes, constantly cruise nashbar/performance/ebay for bike equipment, watch the weather forcast religiously to know when I can ride (but am building up a bike specifically to be able to ride no matter the weather), think about weekend rides all day long, and fantasize about other bikes I want to own?

Addiction?! Outrageous slander, sir!
Old 01-02-07, 12:38 PM
WillisB
Do I use too many commas?

Bikes: Giant Yukon SE

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I resemble that remark!
Old 01-02-07, 02:36 PM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 711 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by newbojeff
Additction?! I don't have an addiction? What are you talking about?! Me?!

Sure I ride my bike to work almost every day, waste countless hours on BF, enjoy working on bikes, enjoy reading about working on bikes, constantly cruise nashbar/performance/ebay for bike equipment, watch the weather forcast religiously to know when I can ride (but am building up a bike specifically to be able to ride no matter the weather), think about weekend rides all day long, and fantasize about other bikes I want to own?

Addiction?! Outrageous slander, sir!

Denial

"Think Outside the Cage"
Old 01-02-07, 02:38 PM
crtreedude 
Third World Layabout

Bikes: Cannondale F900 and Tandem

Quoted: 397 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 22 Posts
Chipcom, I just want to know - has this happened to you already...
Old 01-02-07, 04:28 PM
Wino Ryder
"Purgatory Central"

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
[QUOTE=newbojeff]
Sure I ride my bike to work almost every day, waste countless hours on BF, enjoy working on bikes, enjoy reading about working on bikes, constantly cruise nashbar/performance/ebay for bike equipment, watch the weather forcast religiously to know when I can ride QUOTE]

Mam, that describes me to a 'T'

When I got transferred last February to another area, my commute increased to 14 miles every day, so riding in to work produced lots of strange reactions from my new co-workers. I always come in sweaty because I ride hard, and where they use to look at me like I was an interesting nut, has now turned to looks of comfirmation of that. They have this 'resigned' look now, like they feel sorry for me, no longer shaking their heads, but replaced with this 'poor pathetic fool' look, like I was their ******** brother or something.
Old 01-03-07, 01:48 AM
tokolosh

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by joejack951
I hate the thought of a cold car seat plus having to wait while the d@mn thing warms up.
interesting. last month when we had our freak-week of snowstorms and way-sub-zero temps, a lot of people said 'aren't you COLD?' but only one was actually interested enough to let me explain how being dressed right, and being in motion, actually made it perfectly comfortable. he said 'yes, that makes sense . . . because of course in the car you just FREEZE.' when i thought about it i could see how you would, of course. but until he said it i didn't really think about what totally different worlds my colleauges and i were living in that week.

with our more typical winters, where it's usually above freezing and almost always raining, with high humidity levels, i keep remembering that i could be sitting in a car for 10 extra minutes, waiting for the windows to de-fog enough to set out.
Old 01-03-07, 01:55 AM
tokolosh

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
sigh. i wish i got that look. i used to get it and i really loved it. but most people who see me and my bike now just assume i'm another of the many who come by bike because they just live five blocks away anyway.

now, if bikes had to have license plates that showed, say, their postal codes . . . i'd get some cred
Old 01-03-07, 08:11 AM
LittleBigMan
Sumanitu taka owaci

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
It's not any more addicting than life is.
Old 01-03-07, 09:32 PM
Chris L
Every lane is a bike lane

Location: Gold Coast, Queensland, Australia - passionfruit capital of the universe!
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
Well, I've been doing it for long enough in this office now that I generally don't get those looks anymore. I think people stopped acting surprised when I started pointing out that most days I go and do 40km or so on my own before I even start the commute.

That is all.
Old 01-04-07, 12:49 AM
buzzman
----

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by WillisB
I resemble that remark!
A fellow Marxist!
Attached Images
File Type: gif
groucho.gif (12.4 KB, 1 views)
Old 01-05-07, 06:38 PM
Jessica
cut my gas use in half

Bikes: walmart beater, Dahon boardwalk, A bike, schwinn tandem

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
of course it is addictive. like breathing.