Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Need help understanding Shimano derailleurs for touring

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Need help understanding Shimano derailleurs for touring

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-19, 01:17 PM
robow

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 598 Post(s)
Liked 283 Times in 194 Posts
Originally Posted by Tourist in MSN

I would take the eight speed & triple over the 10 speed & compact double (on my road bike) for most types of riding.
But what about a 10 speed and a triple ?
Old 10-26-19, 02:02 PM
kingston 
Jedi Master

Bikes: https://stinkston.blogspot.com/p/my-bikes.html

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1759 Post(s)
Liked 488 Times in 313 Posts
I have bikes with 7, 9 and 10 speed triples. They’re all good, but 9-speed is the Goldilocks IMO.
Old 10-26-19, 03:05 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10963 Post(s)
Liked 7,490 Times in 4,189 Posts
Originally Posted by Marcus_Ti
Sure there are. That is what R3000 Sora is, 9-speed. BTW Claris R2000 is 8-speed--that's right it is 2019 and Shimano is still selling new groups with 8-speed.

Unless you're doing off-pavement touring clutched RDs aren't of a ton of use to you.
Still dont understand why offering 8sp is bad. A handful of teens I ride with for the mentorship program have road bikes because they saved and were able to afford a Claris level bike.
Tons of beginners use these bikes as an easy and new entry point into whether they like cycling.

If everything was just 10sp or higher, prices would be higher. Not sure why a higher priced barrier to entry is good.
Old 10-26-19, 03:07 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10963 Post(s)
Liked 7,490 Times in 4,189 Posts
Originally Posted by GamblerGORD53
The only thing to understand is >>> they are stupidly complicated and SUCK anyway, especially on a tour bike.
The farther a guy is going away, the more likely they have a ROHLOFF14 with outside shift box. EVENLY spaced gears, absolutely no overlap or lugging the motor ever. Mine has 16,000 miles now in 6 years, still getting better. 2 tours 3,900 and 4,200 miles. It now has a 203 disc brake with Spyre caliper. INSTANT lockup easily, never screeched yet. SA dyno drum front hub with 25,000 glorious miles.

Wut is adjustment?? LOL Only broken spoke was because of my lock.
Install and forget. Change the oil every 3 or 4,000 miles and same with the chain. Crashing and baggage handlers or mud have NO possibility of damage. They are certainly not slower on a tour bike either, often faster. My most used flat gear is 9th at 60.5 GI. My high geared setup is 46/ 16T, 21.8 to 114.6 GI. One day I was cruising at 27 mph with a good tail wind on the freeway. I have a DIY CF chaincase now. Not perfect with a big crank hole. My bike is a 120 lb rhinocerous all right. LOL

A month ago I saw a retired guy with a 36T? Rohloff on a Surly Troll, in Utah. He was doing camping, gravel and every thing, headed for California then flying to South America.
There is one in every group...
Old 10-26-19, 04:29 PM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 3460 Post(s)
Liked 1,466 Times in 1,144 Posts
On my comment: I would take the eight speed & triple over the 10 speed & compact double (on my road bike) for most types of riding. Response was:

Originally Posted by robow
But what about a 10 speed and a triple ?
I have bought a triple crank, new front derailleur and bottom bracket so I can change that bike over to a triple, but have not done so yet. I mostly use that bike around home, and since there is only one steep hill that I ride on that bike that is a bit steep for my current gearing, I am not in a big hurry to change.

But I bought the triple components because I expect to use that bike for a credit card touring trip that has some steeper hills, the triple that I bought for it is going on for that trip.

I have four bikes that use the same eight speed cassettes, and a few others that use the same eight speed chains. It makes my inventory of spares a lot simpler to maintain the fleet.

Originally Posted by mstateglfr
There is one in every group...
Ignore him. Every once in a while he pops up and tries to insult everyone that uses derailleurs. I have two derailleur touring bikes and one Rohloff bike, each has advantages and disadvantages. I have explained to him a few times that there are advantages to both types of systems, but I now just ignore him.
Old 10-27-19, 12:18 AM
chrisx

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 406 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 9 Posts
if you have a 7 speed presently, there's a chance the hubs can handle a 10 speed cassette but they won't take an 11 speed cassette so count on a new rear wheel..
True.

I had to remove a cog from the middle of the 11 speed cassette to make it fit the old mid 90s wheel. Unlike my m772, my m970 derailleur did not like a longer b screw for the 42 tooth cog.

As long as we need a new wheel,
https://www.universalcycles.com/shopping/product_details.php?id=89778&category=139
Alex Adventure 2 TRS 26" Rim

Tubeless ready, rim brakes, not to expensive.

My vote is as follows;
Modern bike parts are new and improved.
Last years parts are on sale.
11 speed is the way to go.

Last edited by chrisx; 10-27-19 at 12:23 AM.
Old 10-27-19, 05:35 AM
robow

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 598 Post(s)
Liked 283 Times in 194 Posts
Originally Posted by chrisx
True.

I had to remove a cog from the middle of the 11 speed cassette to make it fit the old mid 90s wheel. Unlike my m772, my m970 derailleur did not like a longer b screw for the 42 tooth cog.
Instead of replacing with a longer B screw, did you try simply "reversing the B screw" ? Often you can get the added clearance you need when you want to press the rear derailleur beyond its stated capacity. On one of my bikes it was necessary in order to get the 105 RD to run with an 11-34 cassette.
Old 10-27-19, 01:15 PM
chrisx

Liked 9 Times in 9 Posts
Instead of replacing with a longer B screw, did you try simply "reversing the B screw" ? Often you can get the added clearance you need when you want to press the rear derailleur beyond its stated capacity. On one of my bikes it was necessary in order to get the 105 RD to run with an 11-34 cassette.
It did not pop into my head to put the b screw into the derailleur from the other side. But I will type out, reverse the b screw, to help my tired old brain remember that thought for another day.

B screw = M5 was it not? A new one does not cost a whole entire dollar at the hardware store.

I still think 11 speed drive train is made modern and better. 11 speed chain last longer because a strongr metal is used to make it. With the Microshift thumbie, an 8, 9, or 10 can be used down the road somewhere. Who wants to check and see if an 8 or 9 speed chain can fit into an 11 speed derailleur?
Old 10-28-19, 11:22 AM
escii_35
deleteme

Bikes: deleteme

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Unless you -really- need it, I'm a big fan of KISS. Friction 7-9 with a triple.

Where things get complex is matching derailleur to shifter to cog range for smooth indexing.

If you are looking for an old school silver derailleur on a budget. Microshift RD-R47 long.
Old 10-28-19, 12:17 PM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2739 Post(s)
Liked 971 Times in 794 Posts
Originally Posted by escii_35

Where things get complex is matching derailleur to shifter to cog range for smooth indexing.

If you are looking for an old school silver derailleur on a budget. Microshift RD-R47 long.
I've been using indexed shifting for well over 30 years, and it just plain works.
DT shifters, trigger, sti, thumbie style, and with good cables, housings, and any reasonable shifter and rd, its reliable reliable and consistent year after year.
Old 10-28-19, 02:34 PM
chrisx

Liked 9 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by escii_35

My old thumbies lasted through 6 or 7 frames. I bought them used. I left the bike in Guatemala

My new 11 speed thumbies should last the rest of my lifeˇż

The old are not silly simple compared to the new.

My 11 speed cassette can shift under load on a hill. My 7 speed or 8 speed cassette can not say that.

Have bike parts improved in the last 30 years?

They look and feel the same. They work the same. The same tools mount the 7 or the 11.

Keep it silly simple includes not being afraid of a new modern bike part. The shift lever is in the same place on the bar. Installing and use remain the same.

Originally Posted by djb
good cables, housings, and any reasonable shifter and rd, its reliable reliable and consistent year after year.

Last edited by chrisx; 10-28-19 at 02:42 PM.
Old 10-29-19, 10:47 AM
escii_35
deleteme

Bikes: deleteme

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by djb
good cables, housings
Yes,

I did a 1200 ride the past September on some sad cables. 3 days in, riding up Babyshoe pass things were not happy. Then I remembered "I have cable splitters." Break cable, grab multi tool, take up some slack, barrel adjust and go.
Old 10-29-19, 04:04 PM
djb

from mucking about with neighbours or friends old bikes, its hard to get indexing working well when the cables and housings are all old and gungy/sticky/ and this is why its always suggested to change housings every X time frame.
A bike shop will say do it every season, but I find every 3 or 4 years is fine , depending on how the bike is ridden, ie how much its in rain or left outside or in dirt riding etc, makes a big difference--but it does make things better when they are in good shape.
Old 10-30-19, 09:46 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4355 Post(s)
Liked 3,994 Times in 2,665 Posts
XT 9 speed is still available but Shimano is unlikely to list it on their main website. My current loaded touring bike is 9 speed XT rear derailleur and CX70 front 11-34 at the back and a 46-34-24 front crank but I am building another kind of adventure/touring bike and I am going 2x11 because I realized most of my touring is done in the U.S. and if I was really in a jam, I can order crap online and ship it wherever I am. I also am going with external BB cranks (from White Industries). Plus if I am going on a long tour I will take some time the month or two before to replace chain and cassette if they are close to worn or will be worn out during my journey.

I used to be a 9 speed or die and also square taper is everything but having worked in several shops for a decent amount of time and working on bikes positions have changed. Plus with the new GRX and Ultegra RX stuff plus useful shifters from other companies like Microshift allow us to do some neat stuff. My new 2x11 bike is going to use either VO Crazy Bars or Koga Denham Bars with an XT rear derailleur and an Ultegra front with Microshift thumbies and it is going to be a great set up (having built up a similar bike for a customer and loving it).

What I do tell people is if you are building up a touring bike use really good quality components that are proven reliable. Maintain that stuff well (clean, tuned and lubed as needed) and don't ride like a maniac. Having stuff that does follow some semblance of standards is helpful but don't feel like you need to have everything be always easily replaced in the jungles of Peru because it just isn't always going to be practical. Taking care of your equipment and having some mechanical knowledge will be the best way to go.

If you are super duper worried shifting wise I would try to find a good set of friction shifters a NOS 8 speed era XT rear derailleur RD-M737? (or one in really good condition) and you could run that up to 10 speeds (mine on my commuter bike is running a 1x9 fantastically with no issues and a lot of abuse) and maybe a similar front derailleur FD-M737? and you will have a good long lasting drivetrain. I think that rear derailleur will keep going and going.
Old 10-31-19, 04:44 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Originally Posted by veganbikes
If you are super duper worried shifting wise I would try to find a good set of friction shifters a NOS 8 speed era XT rear derailleur RD-M737? (or one in really good condition) and you could run that up to 10 speeds (mine on my commuter bike is running a 1x9 fantastically with no issues and a lot of abuse) and maybe a similar front derailleur FD-M737? and you will have a good long lasting drivetrain. I think that rear derailleur will keep going and going.
Yup, above I commented that:

You should be able to find a good 8 or 9 speed derailleur on Ebay if you do not wan to buy new. An 8 speed derailleur is also a 9 speed derailleur. I am partial to mid 90s XT derailluers, i have used them on several bikes, I bought them on Ebay. Every few years I have to clean and regrease the jockey wheels on the derailleurs but they just keep working fine with some cleaning and lube.
I think my collection of mid-90s derailleurs are M735, M737, and M739.
VeloBase.com - Component: Shimano RD-M735 SGS, Deore XT
VeloBase.com - Component: Shimano RD-M737 SGS, Deore XT M737
VeloBase.com - Component: Shimano RD-M739 SGS, Deore XT

I have those on my rando bike and two touring bikes. And one or two as spares.

But unfortunately they are old enough now that ones on Ebay often have worn jockey wheels or jockey wheels that were replaced with lower end ones.

If you get one and clean and re-grease the jockey wheels, only do one jockey wheel at a time so you do not mix up the upper and lower wheels and parts.
Old 10-31-19, 08:36 AM
djb

I need to replace the jockey wheels on my 90s sometime XT, but only use that bike in winter now, so never get around to doing it.
but will be careful to do one at a time to not mix up stuff.
Old 10-31-19, 09:01 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4355 Post(s)
Liked 3,994 Times in 2,665 Posts
Yup, above I commented that:

I think my collection of mid-90s derailleurs are M735, M737, and M739.
VeloBase.com - Component: Shimano RD-M735 SGS, Deore XT
VeloBase.com - Component: Shimano RD-M737 SGS, Deore XT M737
VeloBase.com - Component: Shimano RD-M739 SGS, Deore XT

I have those on my rando bike and two touring bikes. And one or two as spares.

But unfortunately they are old enough now that ones on Ebay often have worn jockey wheels or jockey wheels that were replaced with lower end ones.

If you get one and clean and re-grease the jockey wheels, only do one jockey wheel at a time so you do not mix up the upper and lower wheels and parts.

Good stuff. You can easily replace jockey wheels. The good folks at Tacx make some excellent pulley wheels in various bearing versions. I have been using their stuff for a long time and it works well and is compatible with old school stuff.
Old 11-01-19, 01:27 AM
DropBarFan

Bikes: 2013 Surly Disc Trucker, 2004 Novara Randonee , old fixie , etc

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 671 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 43 Posts
Unhappy to read that Shimano is blocking parts from Europe, seems rather pointless. Plus, they don't sell any triple hydraulic brifters nor even any non-brifter hydraulic road levers so with drop bar & bar-end shifters one can't use Shimano hydraulic brakes.
Old 11-01-19, 09:23 AM
Tourist in MSN

I was unaware that Shimano was added to the list of manufacturers that succumbed to pressure from the USA distributors to block their foreign competition.

The reason that a lot of my bike part purchases over the years was from Europe was the savings. The Europeans charged high shipping costs for international shipping, yet those European sellers still could undercut the large markups that USA distributors were charging by a wide margin.

When Shimano is competing with Sram and others, I will buy less Shimano stuff in the future.
Old 11-02-19, 06:09 PM
DropBarFan

Bikes: 2013 Surly Disc Trucker, 2004 Novara Randonee , old fixie , etc

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 671 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 43 Posts
Europe & USA have similar costs of doing business so Shimano stuff should have the same availability & price in the USA.
Old 11-09-19, 11:06 PM
GamblerGORD53

Bikes: 2013 Custom SA5w / Rohloff Tourster

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1237 Post(s)
Liked 321 Times in 248 Posts
I hate to RUB it in guys, but I will. LOL
Seems like half the CGOAB blogs I read there's another tale of broken rear spokes on them thar deFaileurs. This was just day 6 and 7, btw...
The latest of the sad lot, on a really nice set up Surly DT and it actually fits him properly. The guy is medium tall/ big and has only rear bags, but anyways......
Pling pling pling pling in outer Thailand.... That's the way it goes when you don't ride a PERFECT Rohloff.

OR at least get triple or double butted spokes, 2.3xx2.0 and use locking nipples.
https://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/page/?o=1mr&page_id=594078&v=2Y

Edit>> So I read some more of his story. He also broke 5 or 6 spokes in NZ. Here he broke and fixed 3 spokes, then 2 days later broke 3 more. He does have 5 spares at this time. This was all on nice newly paved roads, AFAIK. Day 9 stay tuned.... ha He has Laos, Vietnam and Cambodia planned.

Last edited by GamblerGORD53; 11-10-19 at 11:11 AM.