Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Back in SoCal , Palm Springs area

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-19, 04:47 PM
bogydave

Bikes: /Skye/ Torker mt, Sirrus flat bar

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 10 Posts

Alaska was 10° to 15° above normal temps
most of the sunny. (& Still )
The desert here is 12°above norm now too, 90°s.
to be 88° today , so took off for a short ride.
Got to 89° by the time I got back, over 90° now.
1hr-45 min ride, (23 mi) I drank 2 full water bottles.
well, a few ounces on my head as I started feeling
too hot.
Felt good , but am glad I got back before it got
mid 90°s. A tad out of my climate control safety zone .
to cool to mid 80°s next week, I’m ready.
But...Better than the NE snow storms

weird weather extremes
Old 11-13-19, 03:07 AM
Kabuki12

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 872 Post(s)
Liked 2,271 Times in 1,273 Posts
I hear ya. It has been warm even here and I am only 17 miles from the coast! I leave early in the morning with a little chill in the air and a couple of hours later it seems hot , in the eighties, or more. Copious amounts of water is what I say. It seems as though it is consistently warmer now a days. We have always had “ Indian Summers” but it seems as though fall is consistently warm to hot until winter. I have been in Ventura County since 1960 and the climate has definitely changed. Joe. joesvintageroadbikes.wordpress
Old 11-13-19, 02:33 PM
Cougrrcj

Bikes: A few...

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 620 Post(s)
Liked 370 Times in 256 Posts
10°F here in Cleveland this morning. Wanna trade a little of the heat?
Old 11-17-19, 02:56 PM
bogydave

Bikes: /Skye/ Torker mt, Sirrus flat bar

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 10 Posts
Rode 22 mi again today, 90°
Took extra water to dump over my head, felt
better, sweating more as I acclimate to the desert.
10 mph wind was helpful a few times.
In the full sun the whole time, just makes it hotter,
Old 11-17-19, 10:18 PM
Cougrrcj

Bikes: A few...

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 620 Post(s)
Liked 370 Times in 256 Posts
Now that Mom has passed, and I no longer have the need to visit 2x /yr, I no longer have my Miyata 710 out in AZ. I was kinda looking forward to the ~80-mile ride from her house in Gold Canyon (at the base of Superstition Mts at the eastern edge of the Phoenix area) to my dad's kid sister's place in Oro Valley outside of Tucson. Yeah, Gold=Oro and Canyon=Valley is kinda coincidental, eh? Anyway, it would have been US 60 from GC, then down SR79 through Florence and then nothing but nothing for the next 45 miles to the northern edge of Tucson, no gas stations, no convenience stores. Nothing but desert.

On my last trip there, I just did the out-and back from GC to Florence (27-mile each way) as a test to see how I could handle the heat. Leaving at just after 9am wasn't too bad. I barely touched my water bottle on the way down. At barely 90 minutes of steady riding, I had stopped for an hour or so for lunch in Florence (I had to wait for the restaurant to open at 11), then rode back to GC. I did drink more on the return trip - and into a steady wind that had picked up, it took a bit over 1:50 on the return leg. Pace was ~18mph on outbound leg, and a tad under 15 on the way back due to the headwind.

No mechanical malfs, no flat tires... although I did have to tweak the saddle height/nose tilt a bit... The worst part of the ride was the pickups towing camping trailers getting a bit too close. I don't thing those drivers were aware that the camper is so much wider than the truck itself... Not much smooth shoulder on SR79 either! Oh, the shoulder is there, but the rougher pavement surface and LOTS of broken bottles/glass twinkling in the sunlight had me hugging the white line.

Miyata in AZ