Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Get your next Carbon Bike at Walmart... Ok, I'll Start

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Get your next Carbon Bike at Walmart... Ok, I'll Start

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-19, 06:48 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4729 Post(s)
Liked 1,531 Times in 1,002 Posts
Originally Posted by MinnMan
I admit that I don't know enough about the business side of this. But as Walmart's purchasing power comes from their ability to buy in volume, I don't know that they'd have much advantage here unless they thad projected sales that were high compared to other high volume buyers. Are they going to get a better price from Shimano than Specialized or Trek? I don't think so. Is there some other part of the price equation where they'd have an advantage - i.e., cutting out the mark ups between manufacturer and retailer, or being able to operate with smaller margins? Maybe so.
Then again, unlike Spesh or Trek.. Walmart probably does decent sales of Shimano fishing gear. It's all spending that they can leverage in negotiations.
Old 11-14-19, 07:51 PM
CAT7RDR

Bikes: 1999 Schwinn Peloton Ultegra 10, Kestrel RT-1000 Ultegra, Trek Marlin 6 Deore 29'er

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 822 Post(s)
Liked 1,955 Times in 941 Posts
If Walmart wants to become a major player in the bicycle market, I imagine they could put together a winning business plan and become a major player in short order.

It will be interesting to see what their long term plans are?
Old 11-14-19, 10:03 PM
goenrdoug

Bikes: 2019 Supersix Evo, 2002 Trek 2000

Quoted: 273 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 32 Posts
I bet they could easily afford to put in mini bike shops like some REIs have -- with a bit of repair and parts and such offered... Maybe, like bookstores have little coffee shops in them, they could have some of those Rapha mini-stores inside Walmart... ?
Old 11-14-19, 11:41 PM
jim_pridx

Bikes: 2010 Bob Brown Cycles tandem, 2019 Co-Mo Carrera tandem, 1980 Richardson tandem, 2014 Cervelo R3, 2018 Specialized Roubaix, 1985 Bianchi Campione, 1983 Trek 720, 2020 Trek Fuel EX8, 2021 Salsa Mukluk

Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 70 Posts
Originally Posted by hefeweizen
I would like to see wal-mart pair up with specialized.
Man, I hope not, but somehow I wouldn't be surprised if it actually happened some day.
Old 11-15-19, 03:39 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7649 Post(s)
Liked 3,465 Times in 1,831 Posts
Walmart's big advantage is volume buying and i don't see that happening here---because they aren't going to get the volume sales which make that equation work. The big brands ar always going to rule in the top end of the market because cachet is so important, and because of brand loyalty, and frankly, because more serious cyclists, despite what they know, also know the Walmart bicycle reputation.

Even if the do undercut the market, too many people are willing to pay too much money .... except maybe local pro racers who live three days a week in their cars to compete in regional events---the ones who fist started buying Chinese CF open-mold frames. Not sure how big that market is, or whether Walmart will be enough cheaper than the competition.

This is new for Walmart---serious competition. Never before (to my memory) have they tried to sell serious, full-quality retail against strongly entrenched competition. Prior, their sales strategy was "It's as good as the low-grade crap the others sell, for a few cents less, and it is all in one store." That has zero effect or application here. Walmart won't be making New customers. They will need to take customers away from Giant, Trek, Spec, Cannondale., and all the smaller manufacturers---Canyon, Look, Pinarello, whoever.

These won't be anybody's first bike. Not likely even anybody's first CF bike, with Ultegra and DA components.

Is the lure of a few dollars' savings going to overcome the reputation of Walmart?

Interesting.
Likes For Maelochs:
Old 11-15-19, 03:54 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Quoted: 20808 Post(s)
Liked 9,450 Times in 4,668 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs
Walmart's big advantage is volume buying and i don't see that happening here---because they aren't going to get the volume sales which make that equation work. The big brands ar always going to rule in the top end of the market because cachet is so important, and because of brand loyalty, and frankly, because more serious cyclists, despite what they know, also know the Walmart bicycle reputation.

Even if the do undercut the market, too many people are willing to pay too much money .... except maybe local pro racers who live three days a week in their cars to compete in regional events---the ones who fist started buying Chinese CF open-mold frames. Not sure how big that market is, or whether Walmart will be enough cheaper than the competition.

This is new for Walmart---serious competition. Never before (to my memory) have they tried to sell serious, full-quality retail against strongly entrenched competition. Prior, their sales strategy was "It's as good as the low-grade crap the others sell, for a few cents less, and it is all in one store." That has zero effect or application here. Walmart won't be making New customers. They will need to take customers away from Giant, Trek, Spec, Cannondale., and all the smaller manufacturers---Canyon, Look, Pinarello, whoever.

These won't be anybody's first bike. Not likely even anybody's first CF bike, with Ultegra and DA components.

Is the lure of a few dollars' savings going to overcome the reputation of Walmart?

Interesting.
Yeah, I can see them taking some Motobecane Ultegra/DA sales away from BikesDirect, but it's going to be tough sledding beyond that.
Old 11-15-19, 10:49 PM
bpcyclist

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 451 Post(s)
Liked 364 Times in 227 Posts
Walmart is so massive and powerful and swimming in cash that, if they really leaned into this thing, they would dominate whatever it was they decided to do, in my opinion. They could buy Giant tomorrow with a debit card. It will be very interesting to see what happens with this.
Old 11-16-19, 12:22 PM
MSchott

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Roubaix Sport SL4

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 33 Posts
Originally Posted by La Brea Bike
Vizio is low end quality for sure. They have a ton of DOAs...
I’ve had a low end Vizio for 5 years. Flawless.
Old 11-16-19, 01:56 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
We have a couple of TVs here lower-end than Vizio, and all work just fine. One was a 32" no-name Black Friday purchase for $59. Four or five years old now. I've got a 50" Spectre in my workshop that was less than $250-- delivered.
Old 11-16-19, 05:30 PM
popeye

Bikes: S works Tarmac, Felt TK2 track

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked 179 Times in 111 Posts
Originally Posted by RedBullFiXX
Viathon bikes coming to a US CX team, with Big Tour teams to follow ?
The new name will be Viathoni Superleggera.
Old 11-16-19, 05:42 PM
bpcyclist

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 451 Post(s)
Liked 364 Times in 227 Posts
Their 105 bike is sharp-looking in the photos. But for $400 more, you can get a Cervelo.
Likes For bpcyclist:
Old 11-16-19, 05:47 PM
La Brea Bike

Bikes: 02 Litespeed Ultimate, 84 & 85 Raleigh Grand Prix, '84 Raleigh Prestige, 85 Raleigh 555 RSL, '20 Raleigh Tamland, 38 Raleigh, 85 Landshark "Raleigh", '84 Marinoni Levi's Raleigh, SB4484, SB7979, Raleigh SSCXWC, 87 Raleigh USA 531 Prototype

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 147 Times in 79 Posts
Originally Posted by DrIsotope
We have a couple of TVs here lower-end than Vizio, and all work just fine. One was a 32" no-name Black Friday purchase for $59. Four or five years old now. I've got a 50" Spectre in my workshop that was less than $250-- delivered.
Truthfully, we get countless numbers of Walmart/Target purchased BIKES in here for service and/or last rites. My opinion of them is that they are shamefully (or at least ignorantly) spec'ed garbage (and in more than a couple cases, dangerously assembled garbage). Do they "work"? Yeah, technically you can ride them for a while in most cases. Are they the same as a bike shop bike? Holy Cripes... Would I ever pat myself on the back because I got a screamin' deal on a 2019 Mongoose Hotshot? No so much...

These outlets have proven to me time and time again that they could care less about any quality reputation.
Likes For La Brea Bike:
Old 11-17-19, 08:59 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

These bikes have Nothing in common with the familiar ultra-cheap Walmart store brand-bikes. These are real bikes built with real parts from real companies ... the same quality as you get from any of the big-name brands. The Waltons have, for some crazy reason, decided to sell high-end bikes in the lowest-bottom big-box store in existence. These are not pressed-pot-metal and plastic horror shows .... that's real Shimano, not a special run made for Walmart (as so many "big-name" items sold in Walmart are.)

The issue is, as @bpcyclist notes, for a few hundred more you can get a really nice bike from a company that everyone knows. It might not be a better bike, but you won't be giving money to Walmart. And, if all this falls through and after a couple years the Waltons give it up because no one wanted their brand over one of the better-known brands ... well, I guess it won't actually matter because other than the frame, the stuff is all off-the-shelf components made by other major manufacturers (the frame is too, but no one outside the business will know which factory made the frames.)

There really is no downside here---god, solid bikes at market prices. The issue is, there isn't a huge upside. The few hundred dollars saved on certain models ... well, a few hundred dollars is still important to me, but .... if I am going to save money, I could buy and build another Chinese frame for the same money and wouldn't have to look at Walmart decals.
Old 11-17-19, 10:12 AM
cp88mb1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs
These bikes have Nothing in common with the familiar ultra-cheap Walmart store brand-bikes. These are real bikes built with real parts from real companies ... the same quality as you get from any of the big-name brands. The Waltons have, for some crazy reason, decided to sell high-end bikes in the lowest-bottom big-box store in existence. These are not pressed-pot-metal and plastic horror shows .... that's real Shimano, not a special run made for Walmart (as so many "big-name" items sold in Walmart are.)

The issue is, as @bpcyclist notes, for a few hundred more you can get a really nice bike from a company that everyone knows. It might not be a better bike, but you won't be giving money to Walmart. And, if all this falls through and after a couple years the Waltons give it up because no one wanted their brand over one of the better-known brands ... well, I guess it won't actually matter because other than the frame, the stuff is all off-the-shelf components made by other major manufacturers (the frame is too, but no one outside the business will know which factory made the frames.)

There really is no downside here---god, solid bikes at market prices. The issue is, there isn't a huge upside. The few hundred dollars saved on certain models ... well, a few hundred dollars is still important to me, but .... if I am going to save money, I could buy and build another Chinese frame for the same money and wouldn't have to look at Walmart decals.
Imagine if they branded these exact same bikes as Rapha and sold them thru Rapha channels -- they'd go like hot cakes! (Reminder: the same Walmart brothers discussed in this thread have controlling stake in Rapha.)
Old 11-17-19, 10:17 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Quoted: 20808 Post(s)
Liked 9,450 Times in 4,668 Posts
Originally Posted by cp88mb1
Imagine if they branded these exact same bikes as Rapha and sold them thru Rapha channels -- they'd go like hot cakes! (Reminder: the same Walmart brothers discussed in this thread have controlling stake in Rapha.)
Uh, Rapha is struggling. Try harder.
Old 11-17-19, 11:50 PM
Maelochs

Doesn't matter what they name the bikes---people will know what they are.

Also, the "Rapha" logo only carries clout with people who already know the classic company---which is noted for producing high-end Clothing .... nothing mechanical. Levi's could produce a car, people wouldn't buy it because they like the jeans.
Old 11-18-19, 12:29 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10947 Post(s)
Liked 7,474 Times in 4,181 Posts
Originally Posted by La Brea Bike
Truthfully, we get countless numbers of Walmart/Target purchased BIKES in here for service and/or last rites. My opinion of them is that they are shamefully (or at least ignorantly) spec'ed garbage (and in more than a couple cases, dangerously assembled garbage). Do they "work"? Yeah, technically you can ride them for a while in most cases. Are they the same as a bike shop bike? Holy Cripes... Would I ever pat myself on the back because I got a screamin' deal on a 2019 Mongoose Hotshot? No so much...

These outlets have proven to me time and time again that they could care less about any quality reputation.
I'm skeptical of believing you fully understand the background/situation of Viathon as a company.

If you did, you wouldnt have posted...well you wouldnt have posted much of anything that you have posted.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 11-18-19, 10:41 AM
La Brea Bike

Bikes: 02 Litespeed Ultimate, 84 & 85 Raleigh Grand Prix, '84 Raleigh Prestige, 85 Raleigh 555 RSL, '20 Raleigh Tamland, 38 Raleigh, 85 Landshark "Raleigh", '84 Marinoni Levi's Raleigh, SB4484, SB7979, Raleigh SSCXWC, 87 Raleigh USA 531 Prototype

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 147 Times in 79 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
I'm skeptical of believing you fully understand the background/situation of Viathon as a company.

If you did, you wouldnt have posted...well you wouldnt have posted much of anything that you have posted.
That was in relation to the Vizio comment. Sorry, I dont I truly don't care if pro-walmart crowd feelings are hurt. I do not have respect for their corporate commitment to quality. Good Day.
Old 11-18-19, 12:33 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Quoted: 18403 Post(s)
Liked 15,495 Times in 7,317 Posts
Originally Posted by badger1
and WallyMart is an easy target
Pun intended?
Old 11-18-19, 12:36 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Quoted: 18403 Post(s)
Liked 15,495 Times in 7,317 Posts
Originally Posted by MinnMan
These are the guys who bought Rapha, no?
Sort of. They run a private equity firm that bought Rapha. The brothers didn't buy it themselves.
Old 11-18-19, 05:10 PM
TheLizard

Bikes: 2001 Trek 8000

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 18 Posts
IDK about those Viathon bikes.

But that Kent road bike looks like a pretty sweet deal!
Old 11-18-19, 05:36 PM
badger1

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1579 Post(s)
Liked 1,187 Times in 604 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
Pun intended?
Nah. For once, I wuz serious (Serious Poster™).
Old 11-18-19, 06:04 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18353 Post(s)
Liked 4,502 Times in 3,346 Posts
The Viathon bikes look interesting. I don't see an overall weight for the finished bike, but 870 grams for the frame seems respectable enough.

The photos show a pretty ugly paint job. Flat black? I don't see anything discussing the frame construction. Random oriented mid length stranded carbon fiber (just like a lot of fiberglass)? It could be easy to make, and generally strong.

Still, not my choice at this moment.
Old 11-18-19, 06:08 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18353 Post(s)
Liked 4,502 Times in 3,346 Posts
They did dip their toes in the Carbon Fiber Market a while ago:

https://www.bikeforums.net/mountain-...arbon-mtb.html
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Hyper-26-...reen/215471947

$399 a year ago. Up to $448 now. I still wonder if it was the way to go. Moderate frame, but everything else was dirt cheap.
Old 11-18-19, 06:09 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
The Velonews review had the R.1 DuraAce at 16.3lbs complete. As it should be, for six grand.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.