Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

MTB with kids

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

MTB with kids

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-19, 08:34 PM
schiavonec

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
MTB with kids

Just looking for insight from some folks. I used to race xc (20+) years ago. Started as a newbie in cyclocross, but work travel made it difficult. I have commuted on and off for 30+ if you dont count elem, middle, and high school else more. I've done light touring.. Recently, I bought my 12year old a nicer old school race quality dual suspension. He wants to go mtn biking, but other than trails around the open space in colorado front range he does not have experience. I've had a ac separation, and 2 dislocations along with labral tears in my shoulder. I can swing mellow trails and gravel or forest on the cross bike, but I really feel it. I am thinking fun single track, rolling trails that are not very technical. The question is whether, i should get a double squish, fat, or 27.5+ to take him around some better trails in comfort. NO more drop offs or much air at all for me. ( to many injuries in addition to what i mentioned above.) Or, is it just not a great idea any more?

Last edited by schiavonec; 11-17-19 at 08:48 PM.
Old 11-17-19, 10:21 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8274 Post(s)
Liked 9,030 Times in 4,470 Posts
You could get an enduro-type full suspension bike, set it up soft with a fairly upright position and just cruise. I have such a set-up and it's quite comfortable and very stable.
I also have plus tires (27.5x2.8) but I can switch to 2.6 or even 2.4 but I really like the 2.8s.
Old 11-18-19, 05:35 PM
brdeleo49

Bikes: Electra Cruiser 7D, Dahon Boardwalk, Sundeal F1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
I am sure your 12 year old can understand your limitations, and your ability to teach them the ropes. Eventually with your guidance they will experience what you once did and you can look back on how you nurtured them to be the rider they will become. Enjoy the ride and teach them well. Just my 2 cents
Old 11-19-19, 02:34 AM
bikeme

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 31 Posts
If there is a NICA middle/highschool team in your area, get your son involved with it. Because of your seasonal weather, the league in your area will be a Fall league (Summer practices with late Summer/early Fall races). I help coach a team in So. Cal. (a Spring league) and it's an awesome program that teaches kids of all levels. Check out: www.nationalmtb.org for more info.
Old 11-19-19, 03:19 AM
Unca_Sam
The dropped

Bikes: Pake C'Mute Touring/Commuter Build, 1989 Kona Cinder Cone, 1995 Trek 5200, 1973 Raleigh Super Course FG, 1960/61 Montgomery Ward Hawthorne "thrift" 3 speed, by Hercules (sold) : 1966 Schwinn Deluxe Racer (sold)

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1739 Post(s)
Liked 1,014 Times in 696 Posts
Depending on your bail-out options for a trail, try to agree on a meetup point, or some other default rendezvous should you get separated on a ride.