Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Relationship Between Cage Length and Max Cog Size (Low Priority)

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-19, 05:27 PM
davei1980
Very Slow Rider

Bikes: Jones Plus LWB, 1983 Centurion Japanese CrMo bike

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 500 Post(s)
Liked 132 Times in 101 Posts

What's the relationship between an RD's cage length and max cog tooth capacity?

Example: I was running an Ultegra 10 sp (5600 or close to it) set up, long cage version of the RD with a 12-27 rear cassette. I think about 30 tooth max maybe with my 1x setup but couldn't shift my 11-36 cassette because it couldn't reach the largest cog.

Ordered a new shifter and now running my Shimano Zee (dyna sys family) ULTRA short cage RD with my 11-36 rear cassette and it shifts fine. Ok, I know the paperwork says 32T max but I am running a 1x setup (which I am told allows you to fudge a little more) AND I have been told Shimano is conservative with their estimates. Bottom line: the ULTRA short cage RD I have can reach a larger cog than my long cage Ultegra.

Is there a relationship between cage length and the max cog size?

I am guessing there IS, but because of some OTHER sciency-differences between the two RDs, the Zee dyna sys RD has more range despite the shorter cage, not because of it but you guys tell me?

I have pics if you need them, but you will have to just trust me that the Ultegra long cage would not work on the 36T cog but the Zee will.
Old 10-07-19, 06:02 PM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1795 Post(s)
Liked 1,269 Times in 876 Posts
There's also chain wrap capacity which would be needed if you had multiple rings up front.

Also keep in mind that large cogs & "road" anything did not coexist back then. Now they are designing "road" RDER's to handle bigger cogs than previously.
Old 10-07-19, 06:41 PM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,096 Times in 742 Posts
Cage length doesn't control the maximum cog size the derailleur will shift too, only how much chain the derailleur will "wrap up". Maximum cog is determined by the geometry of the parallelogram and location of the jockey wheel.
Likes For HillRider:
Old 10-07-19, 06:41 PM
AnkleWork

Bikes: old clunker

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 684 Post(s)
Liked 105 Times in 83 Posts
Search "ceteris paribus."
Old 10-07-19, 08:28 PM
davei1980
Very Slow Rider

Originally Posted by HillRider
Cage length doesn't control the maximum cog size the derailleur will shift too, only how much chain the derailleur will "wrap up". Maximum cog is determined by the geometry of the parallelogram and location of the jockey wheel.
Brilliant! Makes sense and also why the articulation ratio is different.

So a 1x drive train may not need a very long cage even with 50t low gear if you’re running a relatively small chainring? But all such drivetrains seem to have RDs with super long cages??
Old 10-07-19, 08:53 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4201 Post(s)
Liked 3,857 Times in 2,305 Posts
To repeat cage length is about chain wrap capacity. So a 11-50 cassette has a 39T wrap need. A 30-39-53 and 11-25 cassette has a 37 tooth wrap. So ring count isn't toe sole factor for wrap capacity.

Cage design has a lot of contribution to max cog capacity and shifting "quickness". With a cage pivot that is also the guide pully pivot controlling the gap between the guide pulley and the cog's undersides is up to the slant of the parallelogram and balancing cage/B pivot springs tensions. If the B pivot is also fixed then it's the slant that keeps this critical gap consistent. Tracking the slope of a 11-50 cassette is a tough ask for the der.

If the cage has it's pivot off set from the guide pulley's then as the cage rotates , about it's pivot, the guide pulley can also raise or lower WRT the cogs' undersides. This is what Shimano took to the bank for decades, along with that spring loaded B pivot and it's tension adjustment.

For a better understanding of der development and design I suggest The Dancing Chain by Frank Berto. Andy
Old 10-07-19, 09:45 PM
davei1980
Very Slow Rider

Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
To repeat cage length is about chain wrap capacity. So a 11-50 cassette has a 39T wrap need. A 30-39-53 and 11-25 cassette has a 37 tooth wrap. So ring count isn't toe sole factor for wrap capacity.

Cage design has a lot of contribution to max cog capacity and shifting "quickness". With a cage pivot that is also the guide pully pivot controlling the gap between the guide pulley and the cog's undersides is up to the slant of the parallelogram and balancing cage/B pivot springs tensions. If the B pivot is also fixed then it's the slant that keeps this critical gap consistent. Tracking the slope of a 11-50 cassette is a tough ask for the der.

If the cage has it's pivot off set from the guide pulley's then as the cage rotates , about it's pivot, the guide pulley can also raise or lower WRT the cogs' undersides. This is what Shimano took to the bank for decades, along with that spring loaded B pivot and it's tension adjustment.

For a better understanding of der development and design I suggest The Dancing Chain by Frank Berto. Andy
Brilliant! this explains a lot! Btw I love having the tension adjustment on the shifter.
Old 10-08-19, 03:32 PM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
Originally Posted by davei1980

So a 1x drive train may not need a very long cage even with 50t low gear if you’re running a relatively small chainring? But all such drivetrains seem to have RDs with super long cages??
With a 1x drivetrain the size of the chainring does not affect chain wrap requirements. It's all about your cassette.

An 11/36 cassette only needs 25 teeth of chain wrap. Most any derailleur will do that. 11/50 needs 39 teeth. You'll want to check your derailleur's specs with that one.
Old 10-08-19, 04:09 PM
redlude97

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1975 Post(s)
Liked 232 Times in 173 Posts

I dunno, all of the sram CX1 cages are pretty short and have limited capacity while being able to clear a larger max cog. For example the medium cage goes to a 36T but only allows for a 25t capacity.
Old 10-09-19, 10:49 AM
davei1980
Very Slow Rider

You guys are the best. Thanks for de mystifying this for me.
Old 11-17-19, 03:01 PM
tomtomtom123

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 350 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 90 Posts
Ordered a new shifter and now running my Shimano Zee (dyna sys family) ULTRA short cage RD with my 11-36 rear cassette and it shifts fine. Ok, I know the paperwork says 32T max but
The specs don't say 32T max cog for the Shimano Zee. The RD comes in 2 versions, Freeride is 36T max, Downhill is 28T max. You probably have the Freeride version, which is maybe why it works fine on your 36T cog.
Old 11-18-19, 01:03 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3587 Post(s)
Liked 3,400 Times in 1,934 Posts
So a 1x drive train may not need a very long cage even with 50t low gear if you’re running a relatively small chainring?
Correct, provided the gear spread on the cluster is within the derailleur's wrap capacity, and the derailleur hanger can position the pulley cage low enough to clear a 50T cog.

But all such drivetrains seem to have RDs with super long cages??
Because the clusters have a wide spread of tooth counts that require a lot of chain wrap capacity.