Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Need advice from wheel builders and wheel pros.

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-19, 09:29 PM
Bloodshot

Bikes: Gary Fisher Marlin, Gary Fisher AR Super, Scott CR1 Pro, Jamis Nova Sport

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

So I recently built a bicycle rack for my motorcycle. The final part that needs to be figured out is where to mount the front wheel. The rest of the rack is a copy of a solid design so no need to worry yourselves about that.
Anyway, I was looking at my setup and I had the idea of clamping the skewer of the wheel in a "dropout-like" notch, only the notch is horizontal and the wheel is hanging like a flying saucer. I'd use nylon washers to protect the hub. This would be the easiest and simplest way to finish without more fabricating and welding.
My question might be silly, but will the wheel handle that kind of stress? Would it be weakened prematurely? I'd like to think that all the forces a wheel experiences while riding normally with the bumps and turns under weight are more than what it would see just hanging there.
Let me know what you think.
Thanks.
Old 11-19-19, 11:41 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4195 Post(s)
Liked 3,837 Times in 2,295 Posts
I think the wheel will be fine assuming it doesn't hit anything else and the QR spring isn't crushed due to poor clamp design. I suggest no plastic interface between the wheel and the clamp. Andy
Old 11-19-19, 11:49 PM
Jeff Wills
Insane Bicycle Mechanic

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 797 Post(s)
Liked 694 Times in 371 Posts
The wheel will handle that stress fine. The stresses on it during normal riding are magnitudes greater than what it would encounter when it is being carried.

However, I'm not sure how you will attach a QR wheel so it's clamped by only one side of a quick-release skewer. Perhaps you could put the hub in a "dish" and strap it in place with a nylon toe strap.

Cycling journalist Maynard Hershon has many miles carrying bike wheels on a motorcycle:

Maynard Hershon: Part two: Dude, you're a neutral support motor driver.

Comcast nuked my web page. It will return soon..
Old 11-20-19, 05:40 AM
Bloodshot

Bikes: Gary Fisher Marlin, Gary Fisher AR Super, Scott CR1 Pro, Jamis Nova Sport

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for your input. Much appreciated.
Old 11-20-19, 05:59 PM
thumpism 
Bikes are okay, I guess.

Bikes: Waterford Paramount Touring, Giant CFM-2, Raleigh Sports 3-speeds in M23 & L23, Schwinn Cimarron oddball build, Marin Palisades Trail dropbar conversion, Nishiki Cresta GT

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 2647 Post(s)
Liked 2,446 Times in 1,557 Posts
I've seen threads about this at advrider.com, including a product review. Good luck!

https://advrider.com/f/threads/motor...estion.966724/

https://advrider.com/f/threads/motor...e-rack.914806/

https://advrider.com/f/threads/revie...e-rack.829069/
Old 11-20-19, 07:39 PM
Kimmo 
bike whisperer

Bikes: https://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=152015&p=1404231

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1523 Post(s)
Liked 716 Times in 508 Posts
IMO a wheel clamped on one side (you'd need a spacer in the other side too) would likely subject the axle to fatigue; any bouncing around would put a bending force on the axle between the locknut and the cone.