Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Marinoni Special - Find of the year?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Marinoni Special - Find of the year?

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-15, 01:58 PM
figc

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cyclotoine
Nice ride, That would be one of the last ones with the seatstay caps. My 1992 had stays mitered to the lug and no caps.

To add to this, the 4 digit serial number scheme went to 5 digit in the early 1990s, but in any case it is pretty easy to figure out which decade they fall into based on frame features. I am not sure they had serial numbers as early as 1974. He started around 74/75. 1970s bikes are very rare, early 1980s are not common. By the late 1980s the numbers were much larger and there were more members of the frame building team (however they were all still brazed by the master on the main joints), it's probably just that someone else was mitering, someone lug prepping, someone brazing on the braze-ons, stuff like that. The early ones have a different feel, you can see they are one mans work of art. While the quality of the bikes has always been exceptional they have a more mass produced look about them by the late 1980s, not that there is anything wrong with that!
I heard (on good authority) that when the production numbers went up (not sure what year), the building of the frames was contracted out to others. I'm sure Marinoni did the custom stuff himself, but from what I heard, the stock stuff was done by others.
Old 11-13-15, 02:22 PM
cyclotoine

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by figc
I heard (on good authority) that when the production numbers went up (not sure what year), the building of the frames was contracted out to others. I'm sure Marinoni did the custom stuff himself, but from what I heard, the stock stuff was done by others.
Would like some actual citing on that. AFAIK Marinoni did all his own frames that were steel right up till 1998. I don't doubt that the aluminum and carbon production was done by other individuals and possibly other contractors.
Old 11-13-15, 02:32 PM
figc

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Would like some actual citing on that. AFAIK Marinoni did all his own frames that were steel right up till 1998. I don't doubt that the aluminum and carbon production was done by other individuals and possibly other contractors.
I visited a vintage bike collector on the outskirts of Mtl a month ago when I went to Terrebonne to pick up my newly painted Marinoni. He had quite a few nice bikes (Marinoni's too, old and 40th ann.) as well as some vintage parts, NOS Columbus tubing etc.... awesome stuff...anyways, he was the one who told me as he's been an acquaintance of Marinoni for a while.

He also mentioned to me that since he had so much NOS Columbus tubing as well as NOS Campy dropouts, that he was supplying Marinoni with some of the tubing/dropouts to build his 40th frames....he got an almost 'free' 40th out of it...which I got a chance to ride.

Its second hand info...and I didn't want to believe it but considering the #'s that were being produced in the 80s and 90s, makes sense.
Old 11-13-15, 04:16 PM
cyclotoine

Apparently, numbers peaked around 2000 units per year. I assume that was after 1998. Numbers in the 1980s were below 1000 a year. If there was an assembly team with Giuseppe doing just the main frame brazing, then it I think it is easily possible he put a torch to every frame till 1998. There was an old site on the internet which I believe contained this information. I can't find it anymore and that was years ago that I last saw it. I think it was a web page from around 2000.

Marinoni is up front about outsourcing the carbon, I wouldn't be surprised if other hands did the alumina as well, but there were not much other than steel Marinoni's prior to 1998, though many were TIG welded by that time.
Old 11-13-15, 06:16 PM
figc

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Apparently, numbers peaked around 2000 units per year. I assume that was after 1998. Numbers in the 1980s were below 1000 a year. If there was an assembly team with Giuseppe doing just the main frame brazing, then it I think it is easily possible he put a torch to every frame till 1998. There was an old site on the internet which I believe contained this information. I can't find it anymore and that was years ago that I last saw it. I think it was a web page from around 2000.

Marinoni is up front about outsourcing the carbon, I wouldn't be surprised if other hands did the alumina as well, but there were not much other than steel Marinoni's prior to 1998, though many were TIG welded by that time.
Like I said, I didn't want to believe it and I hope he did all the ones in the 80s with his own hands...because I own 2
The vintage collector I was referring to mentioned also that the best frames he produced were in the very early 80s....I don't know how much merit this has but anyways....
Old 11-13-15, 06:32 PM
cyclotoine

Originally Posted by figc
Like I said, I didn't want to believe it and I hope he did all the ones in the 80s with his own hands...because I own 2
The vintage collector I was referring to mentioned also that the best frames he produced were in the very early 80s....I don't know how much merit this has but anyways....
I have owned a variety of Marinoni's including frames built in 1979, 1981, 1988, 1989, 1992 and 1995. Quality was excellent on all frames.

I think "best" is subjective. From my perspective as a collector I would be careful and say that the Marinoni frames of greatest artisan quality were produced from the beginning till the mid 1980s. One might define best as the intersection of experience and artistic expression and conclude the best frames were from the early 1980s. I do not disagree with that sentiment.

Here is one of my favorites from the internet. The custom stay caps, Fleur-de-lis, and the circular quides on the BB and the exceptionally clean lug work put it up there with the best. 1982 Marinoni Special

The 1988 fleur-de-lis I had was a little less flashy (and not my size or I would still have it), but the work was equally clean.

I now only have a 1981 Pista Special. My partner has a sport touring type of bike from the early 2000s made for her from Zona, and it is a fantastic all around bicycle.
Old 11-13-15, 08:38 PM
figc

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have owned a variety of Marinoni's including frames built in 1979, 1981, 1988, 1989, 1992 and 1995. Quality was excellent on all frames.

I think "best" is subjective. From my perspective as a collector I would be careful and say that the Marinoni frames of greatest artisan quality were produced from the beginning till the mid 1980s. One might define best as the intersection of experience and artistic expression and conclude the best frames were from the early 1980s. I do not disagree with that sentiment.

Here is one of my favorites from the internet. The custom stay caps, Fleur-de-lis, and the circular quides on the BB and the exceptionally clean lug work put it up there with the best. 1982 Marinoni Special

The 1988 fleur-de-lis I had was a little less flashy (and not my size or I would still have it), but the work was equally clean.

I now only have a 1981 Pista Special. My partner has a sport touring type of bike from the early 2000s made for her from Zona, and it is a fantastic all around bicycle.
That 82 Special makes me go
Old 12-05-18, 06:11 PM
retrodude

Bikes: 1984 & 1990 Marinoni Specials - 1990 Bianchi Sika - 1993 Cannondale M800 - 1996 GT Zaskar - 1993 Kona Kilauea - 1987 Ritchey Ascent - 1996 Rocky Mountain Vertex - 2008 Kona Dogma - 1976 Schwinn Suburban - 1994 Kuwahara Makai

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 203 Times in 58 Posts
Great looking Marinoni OP, I love the old school Dura Ace parts.Great thread! This thread inspired me to join the forum and post about my two Marinonis (love these bikes). I ordered my first Marinoni as a custom in 1990 from a bike shop in Calgary (a 'Special'). I had some of the C-Record parts and some campy tubular rims with Chorus hubs I bought from a friend. I also purchased my friends Chorus brake calipers c/w C-Record levers. Purists may not like the Shimano Sante 7 speed freewheel (kind of blends into the background I think). The mid 90s Record post was picked up a couple years ago. I had the Chorus hubs re-laced to Campagnolo Omega Clinchers in the late 90s (tubulars were too much trouble)My latest splurge is the purchase of 4th gen five pivot Delta brakes. I've always loved the way these look but could never justify the cost back in 1990. I payed through the nose last month on ebay to get a pair but do not regret a thing. Added modern CoolStop Delta compatible pads (kept the original campy pads). I had read that Deltas were not good stoppers but set up correctly they work as well as any rim brake I've ever used (love them). I then sourced some NOS black hoods (the white originals just didn't go with the bike).

My second Marinoni I helped my Dad buy years ago. It had Super Record cranks, hubs, and front derailleur only. He gifted it to me about 7 years ago. I stumbled across the rear derailleur for free a couple years ago and moved my Chorus brakes and seatpost to it. The Shimano brake levers are the only parts out of place. I have some Super Record calipers I'd like to put on it but the arms won't reach the rims with this Marinoni frame (think it was made to accommodate fenders)
Old 12-05-18, 08:04 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4511 Post(s)
Liked 6,378 Times in 3,667 Posts
Originally Posted by retrodude
Great looking Marinoni OP, I love the old school Dura Ace parts.Great thread! This thread inspired me to join the forum and post about my two Marinonis (love these bikes). I ordered my first Marinoni as a custom in 1990 from a bike shop in Calgary (a 'Special'). I had some of the C-Record parts and some campy tubular rims with Chorus hubs I bought from a friend. I also purchased my friends Chorus brake calipers c/w C-Record levers. Purists may not like the Shimano Sante 7 speed freewheel (kind of blends into the background I think). The mid 90s Record post was picked up a couple years ago. I had the Chorus hubs re-laced to Campagnolo Omega Clinchers in the late 90s (tubulars were too much trouble)My latest splurge is the purchase of 4th gen five pivot Delta brakes. I've always loved the way these look but could never justify the cost back in 1990. I payed through the nose last month on ebay to get a pair but do not regret a thing. Added modern CoolStop Delta compatible pads (kept the original campy pads). I had read that Deltas were not good stoppers but set up correctly they work as well as any rim brake I've ever used (love them). I then sourced some NOS black hoods (the white originals just didn't go with the bike).

My second Marinoni I helped my Dad buy years ago. It had Super Record cranks, hubs, and front derailleur only. He gifted it to me about 7 years ago. I stumbled across the rear derailleur for free a couple years ago and moved my Chorus brakes and seatpost to it. The Shimano brake levers are the only parts out of place. I have some Super Record calipers I'd like to put on it but the arms won't reach the rims with this Marinoni frame (think it was made to accommodate fenders)
Welcome aboard, good reboot of this zombie thread, we love Marinoni's here.
Old 12-06-18, 08:30 AM
Mr. 66

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 1143 Post(s)
Liked 1,740 Times in 961 Posts
If somebody is itching for a red Marinoni complete bike, over at Bikeworks one has been on the sales floor for a while 60cm sizing, good price, gorgeous.
Old 12-06-18, 02:59 PM
Dfrost 

Bikes: ‘87 Marinoni SLX Sports Tourer, ‘79 Miyata 912 by Gugificazione

Mentioned: 166 Post(s)
Quoted: 502 Post(s)
Liked 466 Times in 256 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr. 66
If somebody is itching for a red Marinoni complete bike, over at Bikeworks one has been on the sales floor for a while 60cm sizing, good price, gorgeous.
Thanks for mentioning that one. It’s actually 62cm with Campy 10-speed that @RiddleOfSteel and I recabled (yes, all new proper Campy cables and housings) and cleaned up.
Old 09-07-19, 07:22 AM
kidadam

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 13 Posts
1982/83 Marinoni Special

I have an 83 Marinoni that was commissioned in 82. It was built for racing for a team in British Columbia. I purchased it from the original owner.

Im considering doing it completely over / chrome lugs new paint and finding a group set for it.

Any idea where I can get the frame chromed and painted?

I came across this one and it inspired me: https://keithfindling.com/portfolio_page/marinoni/

I don't think I want to cold set the frame but maybe... sky is the limit.

Last edited by kidadam; 09-07-19 at 07:28 AM.
Old 09-07-19, 08:43 AM
garryg

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 331 Times in 141 Posts
Possibly get Marinoni to do the work.
Old 09-07-19, 09:05 AM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3898 Post(s)
Liked 4,833 Times in 2,229 Posts
All original, in good shape, with the original build spec, and lovely as is - i would find another one in need of new paint to do your 'Sky is the limit'.

A lot of great bikes needing restore.
JMHO.

You likely have an experienced bicycle painter within a couple hours drive from your home.
Or send it to the factory.
Old 09-07-19, 10:55 AM
kidadam

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Wildwood
All original, in good shape, with the original build spec, and lovely as is - i would find another one in need of new paint to do your 'Sky is the limit'.

A lot of great bikes needing restore.
JMHO.

You likely have an experienced bicycle painter within a couple hours drive from your home.
Or send it to the factory.
It was repainted by marinoni himself at one point. Originally it was light metallic green. Also it was upgraded when raced so it has shim 600 hubs crank and suntour shifters with front derailleur.

maybe going back to original spec is the way to go. It could use a restoration I think but it does work excellent.

Right now it has a 7 speed cassette but the 7th gear can’t handle a load. It’s probably doing more harm than good.
Old 11-10-19, 08:18 PM
abone

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac Comp, Nishiki Superbe, Dahon MU P8 folder, Dahon Mariner D8, Xootr Swift

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Hi, a bit off topic here but thought I'd ask. I've been considering an 80's Marinoni but its in another city and unfortunately I can't go look for a week or so. I asked the seller for the serial # as I thought I'd contact Marinoni for original build etc and the seller said no, then stopped responding to me. Notwithstanding the obvious red flag from a buyer's perspective....is that bad form on my part to ask prior to seeing the bike?

I've only bought one used bike before, on CL, and knowing the s/n prior to viewing wasn't an issue. A Marinoni however, I'd like to know, but again, maybe its bad form to ask. This seller sure didn't like it.
Old 11-10-19, 09:58 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Originally Posted by abone
Hi, a bit off topic here but thought I'd ask. I've been considering an 80's Marinoni but its in another city and unfortunately I can't go look for a week or so. I asked the seller for the serial # as I thought I'd contact Marinoni for original build etc and the seller said no, then stopped responding to me. Notwithstanding the obvious red flag from a buyer's perspective....is that bad form on my part to ask prior to seeing the bike?

I've only bought one used bike before, on CL, and knowing the s/n prior to viewing wasn't an issue. A Marinoni however, I'd like to know, but again, maybe its bad form to ask. This seller sure didn't like it.
Anybody selling a bike on the up and up should have no problem providing the serial # if asked especially when they should know its for provenance as is the case here.

Huge red flag, even more so with pushback.
Old 11-10-19, 10:39 PM
abone

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac Comp, Nishiki Superbe, Dahon MU P8 folder, Dahon Mariner D8, Xootr Swift

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by merziac
Anybody selling a bike on the up and up should have no problem providing the serial # if asked especially when they should know its for provenance as is the case here.

Huge red flag, even more so with pushback.
Thanks for the confirmation. I was pretty certain this was the case but thought to ask to confirm.
Old 11-11-19, 12:06 AM
merziac

Originally Posted by abone
Thanks for the confirmation. I was pretty certain this was the case but thought to ask to confirm.
Well it is of course IMO but it also is what it is so.......
Old 11-20-19, 06:24 PM
The Pickle

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Their new bikes are awesome. Id post a photo of mine but i can't until i have 10 posts?
Old 11-20-19, 06:41 PM
merziac

Originally Posted by The Pickle
Their new bikes are awesome. Id post a photo of mine but i can't until i have 10 posts?
That means the new ones are right in line with all others, good to hear, no surprise at all.

Welcome aboard, glad you found us, get your post count up so you can show us what you got, go around, say Hi and comment on threads that interest you for 5 posts X 2 days to get there.
Old 11-21-19, 08:23 AM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 654 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,036 Times in 1,874 Posts
Originally Posted by The Pickle
Photo assist:
Old 11-21-19, 08:46 AM
jet sanchEz

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 947 Post(s)
Liked 850 Times in 386 Posts
Wow, that is a great looking bike! A Piuma?

I think I'm going to save up some pennies for a Piuma Disc...
Old 12-02-19, 02:06 PM
Lloydb

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am expecting delivery of a Piuma Ti (Campagnolo) soon. I visited the Marinoni facility in August when I commissioned it, and met Giuseppe and Simone. He’s still active and I didn’t see him actually building a frame, but I’m sure he always has hands in something! My Ti was built in his shop by one of his craftsmen. Can’t wait!
Old 12-02-19, 02:42 PM
chainwhip

Quoted: 209 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 84 Posts
Did anybody...

...send a link to this thread to Simone (and Giuseppe)?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.