Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Car got rear-ended & broke my bike rack, Whaaaa

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Car got rear-ended & broke my bike rack, Whaaaa

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-19, 07:21 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5223 Post(s)
Liked 3,579 Times in 2,341 Posts
got the big rack on same as always. hitch seems fine but haven't done an undercarriage close inspection with a light & glasses yet. Insurance adjuster will be inspecting the hatch soon so I'd better get under it. nice I have rental coverage for when it goes in the shop

Old 11-11-19, 11:09 AM
JBHoren
Living 'n Dying in ¾-Time

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by rumrunn6
on my way to work this morning, while stopped in traffic, a small school van rear-ended me. it felt hard but I guess she was only going slowly. she said: "you know, my foot slipped off the brake". um, no
A school van? If she was on her way to work, during work, or on her way home from work, it's a work-related incident. Go after her employer!
Old 11-11-19, 11:35 AM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4792 Post(s)
Liked 3,918 Times in 2,548 Posts
Originally Posted by GlennR
Take is as a sign that you should transport your bike IN the vehicle.

Well, yes and no. Think theft. If a thief really wants your bike, he'll get it, inside or out. Bikes gone either way. Rack is cut or ripped off ... or rear window is broken. I had a new shop vac in my Tercel years ago. A (probably) meth addict wanted it. Cost me the $70 rack and $400 for the hatchback glass.

Ben
Old 11-11-19, 01:26 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
Originally Posted by 79pmooney
Well, yes and no. Think theft. If a thief really wants your bike, he'll get it, inside or out. Bikes gone either way. Rack is cut or ripped off ... or rear window is broken. I had a new shop vac in my Tercel years ago. A (probably) meth addict wanted it. Cost me the $70 rack and $400 for the hatchback glass.

Ben
Trust me.... nothing is 100%. If a thief wants it, they'll get it. But it IS safer inside.
Old 11-11-19, 03:28 PM
Metieval

Bikes: Road bike, Hybrid, Gravel, Drop bar SS, hard tail MTB

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1218 Post(s)
Liked 298 Times in 214 Posts
Originally Posted by 79pmooney

Ben
Tint your windows!
Old 11-11-19, 03:52 PM
dennis336

Bikes: Trek Domane, Surly Disc Trucker

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked 103 Times in 68 Posts
I was rear-ended a couple of years ago with my bike on the trunk rack. The driver's insurance paid to fix the bike. The front wheel was damaged and my bike shop said I should replace the fork to be sure there were no hair-line cracks not readily visible. The LBS gave me the estimate for all of the work (about $600) and I sent it to the other driver's insurance company and they paid it no questions asked. Having said that, I told the other driver and her insurance company I didn't care that there was also a ding in my bumper (a 2005 stick-shift Toyota Corolla) so didn't even push to have that fixed. It's possible the insurance company was so happy I wasn't going to press for a new bumper that they quickly agreed to pay for the bike before I changed my mind
Old 11-11-19, 08:41 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6945 Post(s)
Liked 10,945 Times in 4,677 Posts
Hey, you got off easy. I didn't have a bike in back, but this was what remained of our car after we got rear-ended some years ago. The other driver was busy eating a cheeseburger and didn't see us.

Old 11-12-19, 05:39 PM
Squeeze
High Plains Luddite

Bikes: 3x8 & 3x9

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 54 Posts
Originally Posted by rumrunn6
looks like she came at me at an angle. wonder if she dropped her coffee or something
Sorry for your troubles - really.

I'd bet all my money that she was staring at her smart-phone.

I am constantly concerned in traffic while looking my rearview mirror when I see drivers' eyelids instead of their eyes. Nobody under 25 or 30 is watching the road - even on the interstate during rush hour.

We need DUI/DWI-level enforcement and penalties for smart-phone use while driving, and we need it a couple of years ago.

Best of luck, OP. Thanks for letting me shake my cane in here for a minute.
Likes For Squeeze:
Old 11-12-19, 06:13 PM
biketampa
I don’t live in Tampa

Bikes: 2014 Jamis Ventura Race, 2014 Cervelo P2, 2017 Raleigh Tamland 1, 2015 Jamis Trail X

Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 31 Posts
Originally Posted by Squeeze
Sorry for your troubles - really.

I'd bet all my money that she was staring at her smart-phone.

I am constantly concerned in traffic while looking my rearview mirror when I see drivers' eyelids instead of their eyes. Nobody under 25 or 30 is watching the road - even on the interstate during rush hour.

We need DUI/DWI-level enforcement and penalties for smart-phone use while driving, and we need it a couple of years ago.

Best of luck, OP. Thanks for letting me shake my cane in here for a minute.
it’s pretty hard to prove smartphone use. Even when there’s an accident, getting access to somebody’s phone is challenging
Old 11-13-19, 09:50 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Originally Posted by Koyote
Hey, you got off easy. I didn't have a bike in back, but this was what remained of our car after we got rear-ended some years ago. The other driver was busy eating a cheeseburger and didn't see us.
oh my gosh! that must have been traumatic! I was stunned after I got hit just because it's so unexpected, but I was fine & the car was mostly fine. that collision tho looks so much more violent!
Old 11-13-19, 10:38 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,530 Times in 1,042 Posts
Originally Posted by biketampa
it’s pretty hard to prove smartphone use. Even when there’s an accident, getting access to somebody’s phone is challenging
But it is very easy for people constantly concerned about smartphones to post unfounded accusations about their use as the cause of any and/or every motor vehicle collision they read about on the Internet.
Old 11-21-19, 09:04 AM
rumrunn6

got the insurance $$, ordered a replacement bike rack, I'll have it tomorrow. gotta figure out how/when to get the car fixed. at least I know my priorities ...

got the same one so it won't be long before it's back on the car

Last edited by rumrunn6; 11-22-19 at 12:42 PM.