Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Improving visibility on rain and dark

Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Old 11-18-19, 09:22 PM
phtomita

Bikes: '87 Centurion Ironman, '86 Nishiki Tri-A, '84 Centurion PT15

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 243 Post(s)
Liked 179 Times in 111 Posts

Today I got rain coming back home and is pretty dark 6:30 PM around here.
If I get a car coming, I can't see pretty much anything ahead of me with my glasses wet and a bit fog on inside.

Is there any good product to clean/apply on the glasses to improve visibility in these conditions?
I am thinking on cleaning and apply/rub those sheets for the car windshield that helps a lot on the car.

What you use on your glasses?
Thank you in advance for any suggestion/advice.
Old 11-18-19, 09:48 PM
Kedosto
Callipygian Connoisseur

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 564 Post(s)
Liked 350 Times in 190 Posts
Rain-X. First, clean your glasses using a solution of vinegar and water. Don’t use ammonia based glass cleaner. Then apply the Rain-X according to the instructions. Be sure to polish the lenses well with a clean cloth. If you don’t polish well, you’ll get hazing and halos. I’m not sure why Rain-X is not advised for polycarbonate lenses because I’ve used it myself on safety glasses, motorcycle windshields, and helmet visors without any ill effects. When applied properly and polished well, Rain-X is amazingly effective.

-Kedosto
Old 11-18-19, 09:56 PM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 892 Post(s)
Liked 2,048 Times in 1,072 Posts
I'm trying out monovision contact lenses to avoid that very problem. I'm off the bike now for unrelated reasons, but thus far I think it's going to work.
Old 11-18-19, 10:09 PM
SalsaShark

Bikes: 2014 Trek Allant drop bar conversion, modified Schwinn MTN commuter, 2015 Trek 520, Soma ES, Salsa Journeyman, 1980 Trek 414

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked 355 Times in 166 Posts
Are these prescription lenses? If not, i would simply ride without the glasses in those conditions. The light glare from raindrops at on the lenses at night, fogging, and overall decreased visibility probably make it safer to ride without the lenses.
If these are prescription, I have no suggestions other than maybe contact lenses.
Old 11-19-19, 12:30 AM
phtomita

Bikes: '87 Centurion Ironman, '86 Nishiki Tri-A, '84 Centurion PT15

Quoted: 243 Post(s)
Liked 179 Times in 111 Posts
Originally Posted by SalsaShark
Are these prescription lenses? If not, i would simply ride without the glasses in those conditions. The light glare from raindrops at on the lenses at night, fogging, and overall decreased visibility probably make it safer to ride without the lenses.
If these are prescription, I have no suggestions other than maybe contact lenses.
Yes, mine are prescription glasses. I can see all blurry and at least if there is something big in the path without glasses.
There is a downhill path at the side of the freeway with cars coming with lights on (even when weather is dry is sometimes a bit challenging to see).
Today, I couldn't see much because of rain, so actually was trying to see from above my lens .
Old 11-19-19, 02:22 AM
rseeker

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 318 Post(s)
Liked 149 Times in 104 Posts
I've only been in your situation once and it wasn't good. I decided next time I'll just take my glasses off. They're prescription but only moderately strong, for distance vision only, and they were worse than useless with water on them.

I have clear safety glasses now too, maybe I'll go the Rain-X route on those like Kedesto recommended and just wear those.

My real worry though is whether cars can see me in rainy dark conditions. If their windshield wipers are at all streaky ...
Old 11-19-19, 04:14 AM
GUMK

Bikes: Marin Muirwoods 29er

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by phtomita
Today I got rain coming back home and is pretty dark 6:30 PM around here.
If I get a car coming, I can't see pretty much anything ahead of me with my glasses wet and a bit fog on inside.

Is there any good product to clean/apply on the glasses to improve visibility in these conditions?
I am thinking on cleaning and apply/rub those sheets for the car windshield that helps a lot on the car.

Thank you in advance for any suggestion/advice.
I also wear prescription glasses, and the best thing that ever happened to me was getting a helmet with a detachable visor.

When those rain + headlights situations happen, I now just run my gloves over the visor, it gets rid of the water and it’s sorted the issue each time.

My major issue was having distorted vision due to the water drops on my glasses and lights in my eyes made it more difficult, the visor solves that, and it’s easier to run my glove over the visor than it was my glasses.

In addition, I run two lights at the front, one is pointed slightly down, so I can see the ground in front. You may need to slow down a bit, but you can navigate.
Old 11-19-19, 05:51 AM
bpcyclist

Quoted: 451 Post(s)
Liked 364 Times in 227 Posts
This happened to me on my early morning, very dark, ride the other day. Glasses got completely fogged up in some serious fog (common this time of year). Had to stop and put them in my pocket and just ride naked sans glasses for 48 more miles. It was fine, but with that fog on the lenses, super dangerous. I will have to try that RainX solution. Maybe that will help.
Old 11-19-19, 06:06 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by phtomita
Today I got rain coming back home and is pretty dark 6:30 PM around here. If I get a car coming, I can't see pretty much anything ahead of me with my glasses wet and a bit fog on inside.

Thank you in advance for any suggestion/advice
Originally Posted by GUMK
I also wear prescription glasses, and the best thing that ever happened to me was getting a helmet with a detachable visor.

When those rain + headlights situations happen, I now just run my gloves over the visor, it gets rid of the water and it’s sorted the issue each time.

My major issue was having distorted vision due to the water drops on my glasses and lights in my eyes made it more difficult, the visor solves that, and it’s easier to run my glove over the visor than it was my glasses.

In addition, I run two lights at the front, one is pointed slightly down, so I can see the ground in front. You may need to slow down a bit, but you can navigate.
I have previously posted.
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
I wear a billed baseball cap under my helmet as a “canopy” to keep my eyeglasses relatively clear with occasional swipes with a finger…
I perennially post about my winter eyewear for my 14 mile year-round commute, from about 35° down to as low as 0°. I must wear my prescription eyeglasses, and fogging is one of the worst dangers of winter riding. I am entirely satisfied with my system:…

Finally, last Monday I rode in a sleety, wintry mix, and wore a billed baseball cap under my helmet. My prescription eyeglasses stayed dry and clear, and my vision was good with occasional swipes of the goggles with a gloved finger.…
IME, and from reading numerous posts on the subject, there are three basic methods for preventing fogging, caused by exhaled moist air onto the cold surface of the eyeglasses and goggles:...

3. Antifogging agents, like Cat Crap, soap, spit etc.:I find that when exhaling forcefully, and colder temperatures, say under 20° F, those agents can be overcome. That’s why I suggest
…that any recommendations for winter riding include description of the conditions in which they are employed, i.e. lowest temperature and distance.
I’m not trying to be contrarian about any methods used, but I am zealous because fogging is a difficult and dangerous challenge to winter riding, and would keep me off the bike for about 3 to 4 months during the year.
No need to further comment on good lighting.

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 11-19-19 at 06:23 AM.
Likes For Jim from Boston:
Old 11-19-19, 07:32 AM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1362 Post(s)
Liked 1,674 Times in 827 Posts
For many years now, I've been cleaning my glasses with hand-soap and warm water. It definitely helps with fogging, although at stoplights I need to breath with a pronounced overbite to help direct the breath away from the glasses. A dozen or so years back I tried a kid's toy snorkle from the dollar store to conduct my breath back over my shoulder. IT worked, but was a disgusting,uncomfortable mess at the end of the commute.

As far as rain, I can still see distance well enough over the top of my glasses to do that. My newest rain cape came with a clear visor on the hood, but it was wrinkly and caused more fog on my glasses, so I fold it back.
Likes For BobbyG:
Old 11-19-19, 09:03 AM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
Contacts? Lasik?
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 11-19-19, 11:31 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7341 Post(s)
Liked 2,441 Times in 1,425 Posts
I'm dealing with this. I'm in the rain at night often, especially this month. My only saving grace is that my glasses prescription is mild, and I can live without my glasses when the rain is a big problem. But I use a rearview mirror attached to my glasses, so when I take them off, I end up mirrorless. I might try Rain-X. First, I'm going to try putting a soap film on my glasses. I'll apply soap and buff it off without water. I've heard that can work.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 11-19-19, 11:36 AM
noisebeam
Arizona Dessert

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix, Lemond Poprad. Retired: Jamis Sputnik, Centurion LeMans Fixed, Diamond Back ascent ex

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 5345 Post(s)
Liked 2,169 Times in 1,288 Posts
I have same issue. Can't see without glasses, can't see with them in the rain.
A large helmet visor, makes no difference in heavy rain.
I find I can navigate better without the glasses as shapes are not blocked/distorted.
Turns out one doesn't have to see that well to cycle
Old 11-19-19, 12:15 PM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2594 Post(s)
Liked 1,922 Times in 1,206 Posts
Originally Posted by noisebeam
A large helmet visor, makes no difference in heavy rain.
But in light rain, a visor or the brim on a cap can keep light rain off the lenses!
Old 11-19-19, 12:17 PM
noisebeam
Arizona Dessert

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix, Lemond Poprad. Retired: Jamis Sputnik, Centurion LeMans Fixed, Diamond Back ascent ex

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 5345 Post(s)
Liked 2,169 Times in 1,288 Posts
Originally Posted by pdlamb
But in light rain, a visor or the brim on a cap can keep light rain off the lenses!
Not in my experience. Even external fog results in water drops all over lenses.
When moving forward drops come from the front, not the top.
Old 11-19-19, 12:40 PM
pdlamb

Originally Posted by noisebeam
Not in my experience. Even external fog results in water drops all over lenses.
When moving forward drops come from the front, not the top.
IME, just angling my head down, and looking through the tops of my glasses, will keep fog off my glasses for the better part of a 10 mile commute. In light rain, I can usually make 6-7 miles before I need to wipe the glasses with a billed cycling cap.

We'll have to agree to disagree on visors and brims.

Re: wiping glasses, it's worth while making sure wet weather gloves have something like an absorbent thumb back. Even when wet, they'll get enough water off my lenses that I can see better.
Likes For pdlamb:
Old 11-20-19, 04:54 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

I've seen some people wearing a giant brim attached (it seems) by elastic, and it goes all around the helmet. That seems like a great thing to try. Where can I get one? Or what should my search terms be?

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Old 11-21-19, 09:53 AM
pdlamb

Tom, I think you're looking for Da Brim:
https://www.adventurecycling.org/cyc...-helmet-visor/

The two people I've seen using them seem to ride a bit slower than I do. I suspect keeping the wind down is one reason they both liked it so much.
Likes For pdlamb:
Old 11-21-19, 10:53 AM
liampboyle

Bikes: 2007 Kona Caldera

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Da Brim you say? I like the looks of the classic. I may have to get one.
Old 11-21-19, 05:32 PM
2_i 

Bikes: Trek 730 (quad), 720 & 830, Bike Friday NWT, Brompton M36R & M6R, Dahon HAT060 & HT060, ...

Quoted: 840 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 251 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
I've seen some people wearing a giant brim attached (it seems) by elastic, and it goes all around the helmet. That seems like a great thing to try. Where can I get one? Or what should my search terms be?
+N on a visor being far more effective than any treatment or device for glasses/goggles. Da Brim is too extreme for just rain, but presumably good for sun in Africa or south. Rain can be taken care of with the Taiga Helmet Cover or Salamander Beak Visor.
Old 11-22-19, 09:46 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Thanks, @2_i. Those are nice. I still haven't found the one whose brim is of the same width all around the helmet. But one of those two might be nice.

Old 11-30-19, 09:09 AM
tomtomtom123

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 350 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 90 Posts
I haven't had problems with fogging eyeglasses when outside. It's usually only happens when i walk indoors from a cold exterior. Condensation only occurs when the cold glass encounters warm and moist air, like from your breath when you exhale. when I'm in motion, the exhaled breath doesn't reach my eyeglasses. When I'm at a standstill, the glasses might fog from the breath for 2 seconds, but it immediately clears up. However, I don't normally have freezing temperatures here.

When it's near freezing, I wear ski/mtb googles over-the-glasses (otg) to protect my eyes from drying out. The goggles do fog up on the inside when I'm at a standstill from skin sweat, but clears up after 5 seconds when I'm in motion again, because it's got some vents on the top and bottom, with a double layer polycarbonate lens. If it rains, lots of drops tend to stick to the plastic lens, and I simply wipe it with my gloves.

I do use a visor on my helmet. It does reduce the amount of water that hits my eyeglasses when it rains (when I'm not wearing goggles over them). But even if my eyeglasses are wet, it doesn't fog up. The lens does have some anti-scratch-UV-glare coating. I don't know if this has any effect. I also wash my glasses daily with soap. I don't know if this affects anything either.

I don't know if I'd want to apply other chemicals like Rain-X to my glasses, as I don't know if it would cause problems if it were to get into the eyes.

However, if I wear a balaclava, I do have problems with fogging on my glasses, due to the breath being directed upwards. I bought another balaclava with holes around the mouth and nose, and it helps to reduce the fogging a little bit.
Likes For tomtomtom123:
Old 11-30-19, 11:44 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by tomtomtom123
When it's near freezing, I wear ski/mtb googles over-the-glasses (otg) to protect my eyes from drying out. The goggles do fog up on the inside when I'm at a standstill from skin sweat, but clears up after 5 seconds when I'm in motion again, because it's got some vents on the top and bottom, with a double layer polycarbonate lens.

If it rains, lots of drops tend to stick to the plastic lens, and I simply wipe it with my gloves.

Ido use a visor on my helmet...I also wash my glasses daily with soap. I don't know if this affects anything either.

I don't know if I'd want to apply other chemicals like Rain-X to my glasses, as I don't know if it would cause problems if it were to get into the eyes.

However, if I wear a balaclava, I do have problems with fogging on my glasses, due to the breath being directed upwards. I bought another balaclava with holes around the mouth and nose, and it helps to reduce the fogging a little bit.
I have previously posted (link) pertinent comments on this current thread. See also:
"Colder weather - glasses fog up issue."

I perenially post my approach to the problem, most recently on the Winter Cycling Forum. Considering how frequently this question arises I have also frequently posted: including a dispute with the dishsoap / spit solution.

And I look forward to trying this newly-posted solution:
Originally Posted by scoatw
I use an old Iditarod trick I saw back in 09 of Jay Petervary,a veteran rider of the 1000 mi trip to Nome. In addition to wearing a balaclava, I cover my nose and cheeks with a fleece headband. This gives my breath an opening to escape without going up my goggles when covered with the balaclava.

This is my 11th winter of daily commuting. I always had fogging problems below 10'f. I used it at 0'f and it worked great.
Old 12-05-19, 09:31 PM
billyO13

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
The problem with Rain-X is that it leaves a film on the lens.