Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Tubed Clinchers: 25mm or 28mm?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Tubed Clinchers: 25mm or 28mm?

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-19, 03:17 PM
freeranger

Bikes: 06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 699 Times in 436 Posts
Just to muddy the waters a bit more, here's an interesting article on tire width/pressure: https://www.roadbikerider.com/the-ti...-jan-heine-d1/
Old 11-20-19, 03:45 PM
aclinjury

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 497 Post(s)
Liked 170 Times in 128 Posts
First of all, to go fast, you will generally want a skinny tire (23-25mm) pumped up to high psi. This is generally true for glassy smooth road.
But you said you also have chipseal road. Well, what percentage of the road is chipseal? If it's a 50/50 glassy vs chipseal, then I'd go with a 28mm to tame the chipseal, but you'll be slow on the glassy.
If 80% of the roads are glassy, then I'd go with a 25mm tire for speed.
Old 11-21-19, 10:33 AM
jadocs

Bikes: Ti, Mn Cr Ni Mo Nb, Al, C

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 942 Post(s)
Liked 527 Times in 349 Posts
Originally Posted by FlashBazbo
"To simplify the thread" and to keep this thread from becoming a rabid anti-tubeless / anti-tube festival, I decided not to talk about the reasons. (There are plenty of those threads elsewhere.) I could anticipate the potential thread-jack.

But no, the wheelset is not incompatible. It's a Mavic UST wheelset.
Mavic UST here as well. I vote 28...….AAAAaaaand Tubeless
Old 11-21-19, 11:11 AM
Branko D

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 338 Post(s)
Liked 408 Times in 252 Posts
I run tubed Conti GP5000s, 23mm in front and 25mm in rear. Unless you have modern wide aero rim, a 23mm in front is the way to go for aerodynamics and that was my rationale for it.

If it’s not comfortable enough, drop 5 psi at a time until it is, imo. 100 psi in front and 95 in rear is enough for comfort on multi hour rides over roads of various quality, and I use 5-10 psi more for nice, smooth roads.

Last edited by Branko D; 11-21-19 at 11:23 AM.
Old 11-21-19, 01:53 PM
Cypress
Globo Gym lifetime member

Bikes: Fast ones

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 410 Post(s)
Liked 614 Times in 306 Posts
Originally Posted by Sy Reene
It seems a lot of BF is now on a bandwagon that's claiming comfort is king. No longer is priority performance, but cushiness. 15% drop used to be determinant of 'proper'. Now we hear that 100psi for tubed 25mm tire is overkill? (though it probably is for a front tire, I think most 15% drop calculators ask for about 100psi for a ~160lb rider).

Better be pretty confident with the condition of your rims and tires to run 120 PSI in a 32c tire...
Old 11-21-19, 02:26 PM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,569 Times in 974 Posts
That crr improvement on a TT front wheel at near 25mph plus is more than gone by the aero penalty of running a big tire.

Of course not for 19mm. But I’d say the aero holy grail for a light enough rider to balance with crr is still 23mm for TT.

Road in a group. Crr will save more probably in practice due to being in draft and on hills a lot. So 25 for non TT.
Likes For burnthesheep: