Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

Fuji Opus 3

Old 11-20-19, 05:46 PM
frankj389

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Fuji Opus 3

So I found a Fuji Opus 3 on the local CL for $175. I'm new to the whole bike thing, and I've been wanting to upgrade from what I currently have, so I'm inclined to think it's a good deal. However, in the ad the person listed some components that I'm just not familiar with, mostly the shifters, so I was hoping for some insight as to whether or not this bike is worth it. Here's the components:

Shifters are Campagnolo 10 speed, only for brakes. The shifting mechanism works, but I opted to use friction. Will include crank bros, pedals. It includes the following:

-Hatta Swan headset.
-Nitto Model 55 with a Pearl stem 60 and maroon Newbaum's cloth tape.
-Mavic Cosmic wheelset.
-Ultegra 9 speed groupset.
-Selle Royal Sprint saddle.
-Crank Bros 1 pedals included.
Old 11-20-19, 08:13 PM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 3084 Post(s)
Liked 6,545 Times in 3,757 Posts
Here is the catalog page. You can compare the one you're asking about with a stock one.

Old 11-21-19, 06:30 AM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 654 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,036 Times in 1,874 Posts
Shimano Ultegra 9 speed is very nice, as are the MAVIC wheels. Not quite sure what he means by, "Shifters are Campagnolo 10 speed, only for brakes. The shifting mechanism works, but I opted to use friction." Reference to brakes imply they may be brifters but you can't run brifters in friction mode and I wasn't aware that Campagnolo had a 10 speed down tube shifter. Regardless, it sounds like the indexing isn't compatible with the cog spacing of 9 speed Shimano. Sounds like a fair deal, depending on condition.
Old 11-21-19, 12:18 PM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 963 Times in 628 Posts
Opus III in excellent condition is a FIND. Go check it out and pay the seller full price if you like it.
Old 11-21-19, 03:21 PM
dailycommute

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Looks like seller is down to 150, a buy if it fits as is a very small frame. They are very nice, race geometry bikes. Man, just when you think the bike market cannot slip lower, has been posted for almost 2 weeks. Somebody parted off the valuable suntour superbe pro (although this looks like 85, guess that was " just" superbe) default parts since they are worth more than ask, but that ultegra is good stuff, though is a bit odd setup. That and the small size are probably why it is sitting. If you don't mind that and it fits I would go for it.

Last edited by dailycommute; 11-21-19 at 03:42 PM.
Old 11-21-19, 03:36 PM
T-Mar

OK, now I understand the sellers comment. He's installed brifters but isn't using them for shifting. He's installed down tube levers for that. Condition appears good. If it fits, it's a great deal. At that price you could buy it, sell the Campagnolo Ergopwer levers, buy some matching 9 speed Shimano Ultegra levers and still have a very good deal. These are really nice frames.
Old 11-21-19, 06:40 PM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Mentioned: 155 Post(s)
Quoted: 2322 Post(s)
Liked 4,924 Times in 1,760 Posts
Originally Posted by dailycommute
Looks like seller is down to 150, a buy if it fits as is a very small frame. They are very nice, race geometry bikes. Man, just when you think the bike market cannot slip lower, has been posted for almost 2 weeks. Somebody parted off the valuable suntour superbe pro (although this looks like 85, guess that was " just" superbe) default parts since they are worth more than ask, but that ultegra is good stuff, though is a bit odd setup. That and the small size are probably why it is sitting. If you don't mind that and it fits I would go for it.
On my 85 the Crank and FD say Superbe Pro and the RD just Superbe.

Old 11-21-19, 06:44 PM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

I'll mirror the other comments. These are wonderful bikes and quite beautiful if you ask me. For that price if it fits and is decent shape then go for it!

Old 11-21-19, 09:53 PM
plonz 

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 654 Post(s)
Liked 466 Times in 300 Posts
^ @jamesdak that’s a fine looking machine.
Old 11-22-19, 12:46 AM
DrFeelGood

Bikes: 2019 Surley Straggler, 1994 Cannondale Killer-V 900, 1987 Trek 420 -- PAST: 1986 Centurion Lemans RS, 1989 & 1991 Cannondale SM900 "Beast of the East", 2006 Bianchi Axis

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by plonz
Agreed. If I ever found one that fit and looked like that I would snatch it up.
Old 11-22-19, 07:00 AM
T-Mar

Originally Posted by jamesdak
On my 85 the Crank and FD say Superbe Pro and the RD just Superbe.
Superbe and Superbe Pro were manufactured concurrently during 1981-1986. Consequently, it was possible to get a bicycle with an OEM Superbe Pro/Superbe mix during this period, This is the case with the 1985 Fuji Opus III and the Superbe rear derailleur is OEM. There were a number of reasons for Fuji to spec the bicycle with a Superbe rear derailleur, rather than the Superbe Pro. 1) The Superbe was slightly less expensive. 2) The Superbe had 2T more large cog capacity. 3) The Superbe was 20g lighter, with the Superbe Pro being beefier for added durability in competition.
Old 11-22-19, 07:44 AM
jamesdak 

Originally Posted by plonz

Thanks! These are truly beautiful bikes and the pictures do not accurately capture the color and brilliant sparkle of the paint on these. One of the few bikes I have were I get distracted looking at the paint sparkling as you ride it in the sunlight.

Old 11-22-19, 07:47 AM
jamesdak 

Originally Posted by T-Mar
Superbe and Superbe Pro were manufactured concurrently during 1981-1986. Consequently, it was possible to get a bicycle with an OEM Superbe Pro/Superbe mix during this period, This is the case with the 1985 Fuji Opus III and the Superbe rear derailleur is OEM. There were a number of reasons for Fuji to spec the bicycle with a Superbe rear derailleur, rather than the Superbe Pro. 1) The Superbe was slightly less expensive. 2) The Superbe had 2T more large cog capacity. 3) The Superbe was 20g lighter, with the Superbe Pro being beefier for added durability in competition.
Yep, mine came with all the stock parts save the saddle and wheels. Even the burgundy cloth bar tape is still there under the leather tape. I periodically search for the right stock tubulars for this. One day I'll find them.
Old 11-27-19, 05:50 PM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 3084 Post(s)
Liked 6,545 Times in 3,757 Posts
Here's an Opus III that I found for sale on Facebook Marketplace. $100. Too large for me.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...3864054874171/

Old 11-27-19, 07:18 PM
ramzilla

Bikes: Vintage Japanese Bicycles, Tange, Ishiwata, Kuwahara

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 700 Post(s)
Liked 322 Times in 252 Posts
That's like finding a Unicorn at the end of the rainbow in Captain Crunch's lucky charm treasure chest!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 11-28-19, 07:19 PM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 192 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2924 Post(s)
Liked 2,916 Times in 1,488 Posts
Originally Posted by frankj389
So I found a Fuji Opus 3 on the local CL for $175. I'm new to the whole bike thing, and I've been wanting to upgrade from what I currently have, so I'm inclined to think it's a good deal. However, in the ad the person listed some components that I'm just not familiar with, mostly the shifters, so I was hoping for some insight as to whether or not this bike is worth it. Here's the components:

Shifters are Campagnolo 10 speed, only for brakes. The shifting mechanism works, but I opted to use friction. Will include crank bros, pedals. It includes the following:

-Hatta Swan headset.
-Nitto Model 55 with a Pearl stem 60 and maroon Newbaum's cloth tape.
-Mavic Cosmic wheelset.
-Ultegra 9 speed groupset.
-Selle Royal Sprint saddle.
-Crank Bros 1 pedals included.
What do you currently have? In my humble opinion while this Fuji might be a good deal for some here I don't think it makes a great deal for a novice. While the parts are good quality some aren't not designed to work together. If the frame fit most members would try and haggle the price down a bit more then sell off most the parts and rebuild it with some better parts from the time period of the frame.

How tall are you anyway? This is better suited for someone around 5'4"ish

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk