Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Recreational & Family
Reload this Page >

Hitch/bike rack question

Notices
Recreational & Family Ride just to ride? Have a family and want to get them into cycling? Drop in here to discuss recreational and family cycling issues.

Hitch/bike rack question

Old 10-21-19, 10:56 AM
charbobo

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hitch/bike rack question

I have 2005 matrix with a class 1 hitch installed on it. From my research I've gathered that usually a class 1 hitch has a 200lb max tongue weight and is only good for 2 bikes, however my particular hitch (a uhaul one) says it has a max tongue weight of 250lb. I'd like to buy a rack to carry 3 adult bikes, I'm wondering if that is possible seeing as though my 3 bikes each weigh 30lbs or less. I'm also looking for suggestions of racks if any of you have any. TIA
Old 11-21-19, 01:33 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5222 Post(s)
Liked 3,576 Times in 2,340 Posts
I had a 2011 Subaru Forester with a factory 1 1/4" Class I hitch. I put a 3 bike rack on it w/ 4 bikes but it was painfully obvious that was a mistake. drove around my condo complex & I heard the most awful & weird metal creaking sounds that were just not right. wound up combine that rack with another rack, so 2 racks to hold the 4 bikes. you might consider going to U-haul & having them swap the hitch for another. I now have a 2014 Jeep Cherokee w/ a U-hail Class II hitch & it holds the 4 bikes just great. I also use 3 Curt brand stabilizer straps. I suppose if you added 3 straps you might get lucky ... here's what I mean about straps

4 bikes in hitch w 1 rack w/o straps (giant disaster waiting to happen)

4 bikes using 2 racks (worked great, very stable & safe)

I have other pics showing the 2 racks better w/o the bikes I just can't find them right now

but like the 1st pics show w/ the Jeep, the correct hitch works much better for me

Last edited by rumrunn6; 11-21-19 at 01:57 PM.
Old 01-04-20, 08:51 PM
Froomewannabe

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
I’ve got the Kuat Transfer 2 and like it a lot. You may want to look at the Kuat Transfer 3.
Old 01-04-20, 10:18 PM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1079 Post(s)
Liked 1,017 Times in 719 Posts
I've got a Mazda 5 with a class I 1 1/4 hitch and ended up with a basic thule 4 bike rack on there. I've found that the more play there is between the rack and the hitch the worse everything seems to be. The rack is held in with a bolt that holds the rack tight to the side of the hitch to remove side play and a wooden shim to eliminate the rack bouncing up and down. With 3 bikes on there I'm fine with cruising around. Just did a 700 mile round trip with 2 24" kids bikes weighing 26lb each, a 17lb 16" kid's bike a a trail-a-bike all barely squeezed on there and it did fine; though it did show that after 125k miles I might need some new rear shocks since the sag wasn't great.
I also have to do the 2 rack with a 2 bike roof rack to offset the fact that there's 5 of us. Recently though I did see, and chatted briefly at a stoplight with, a guy with a Prius using a Yakama 1 1/4" 5 bike hitch rack and he claimed to have run 5 bikes on it. Didn't have time for more details but I doubt a prius runs a stronger rack.
Old 01-30-20, 08:41 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Originally Posted by Russ Roth
I've got a Mazda 5 with a class I 1 1/4 hitch and ended up with a basic thule 4 bike rack on there. I've found that the more play there is between the rack and the hitch the worse everything seems to be. The rack is held in with a bolt that holds the rack tight to the side of the hitch to remove side play and a wooden shim to eliminate the rack bouncing up and down. With 3 bikes on there I'm fine with cruising around. Just did a 700 mile round trip with 2 24" kids bikes weighing 26lb each, a 17lb 16" kid's bike a a trail-a-bike all barely squeezed on there and it did fine; though it did show that after 125k miles I might need some new rear shocks since the sag wasn't great.
I also have to do the 2 rack with a 2 bike roof rack to offset the fact that there's 5 of us. Recently though I did see, and chatted briefly at a stoplight with, a guy with a Prius using a Yakama 1 1/4" 5 bike hitch rack and he claimed to have run 5 bikes on it. Didn't have time for more details but I doubt a prius runs a stronger rack.
FWIW - my current Jeep Cherokee has a more stout rear end & does not sag when overloaded. I had UHaul install a 1 1/4" class II hitch, so now I can carry 4 adult bikes, no problem. just have to use some foam insulation to protect bike parts from bumping or rubbing. stability straps make a lot of sense & are easy to use might be useful info for anyone car shopping with plans to cram a family of 4 into 1 vehicle for a vacation w/ bikes.
Old 01-30-20, 08:48 AM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Originally Posted by rumrunn6
FWIW - my current Jeep Cherokee has a more stout rear end & does not sag when overloaded. I had UHaul install a 1 1/4" class II hitch, so now I can carry 4 adult bikes, no problem. just have to use some foam insulation to protect bike parts from bumping or rubbing. stability straps make a lot of sense & are easy to use might be useful info for anyone car shopping with plans to cram a family of 4 into 1 vehicle for a vacation w/ bikes.
3 years ago when I made a trip through the mountains with a uhaul trailer and a few thousand lbs worth of cast iron and steel power tools and a load of hardwood lumber it didn't sag as much. If I keep the car, and I'm debating a toyota king cab tacoma, I'll crawl under the minivan and toss on all new shocks and bushings and tighten up the whole rear end. The kids are getting bigger so I'll also look at stiffer springs as well. I was speaking with a shop guy about the newer racks and he was saying that they have a newer design that wedges the rack into the hitch to prevent sway which I've been thinking of driving a couple of wood shims I just found into the interface to do the same thing.
Old 01-30-20, 10:59 AM
rumrunn6

3 years ago when I made a trip through the mountains with a uhaul trailer and a few thousand lbs worth of cast iron and steel power tools and a load of hardwood lumber it didn't sag as much. If I keep the car, and I'm debating a toyota king cab tacoma, I'll crawl under the minivan and toss on all new shocks and bushings and tighten up the whole rear end. The kids are getting bigger so I'll also look at stiffer springs as well. I was speaking with a shop guy about the newer racks and he was saying that they have a newer design that wedges the rack into the hitch to prevent sway which I've been thinking of driving a couple of wood shims I just found into the interface to do the same thing.
you can still use a cpl straps, they're cheap enough. I would love a 4 door pickup myself. drove 4 runners for 20 years. do you remember in the '70s when we could go to Midas & get rear "booster" shocks? the kind that had a coil spring on them? man I loved those things!
Old 01-30-20, 03:36 PM
Russ Roth

Originally Posted by rumrunn6
you can still use a cpl straps, they're cheap enough. I would love a 4 door pickup myself. drove 4 runners for 20 years. do you remember in the '70s when we could go to Midas & get rear "booster" shocks? the kind that had a coil spring on them? man I loved those things!
Nope, not old enough. From the 70s but didn't get into cars till my teens/20s in the 90s. Though after looking at trucks today I think they've gotten too big, still too inefficient and way over priced. Actually really like the look of the new Jeep pick up but can't justify 45k. Looked at the Tacoma but they've gotten bigger then I realized and no one has a stick shift version. On the plus side the minivan is paid for and the wife hasn't said no to a Miata, know the budget can handle it and could enjoy a real toy. Only need a 2 bike trunk rack for that and I have one of those laying around.
Old 01-30-20, 05:56 PM
rumrunn6

Nope, not old enough. From the 70s but didn't get into cars till my teens/20s in the 90s. Though after looking at trucks today I think they've gotten too big, still too inefficient and way over priced. Actually really like the look of the new Jeep pick up but can't justify 45k. Looked at the Tacoma but they've gotten bigger then I realized and no one has a stick shift version. On the plus side the minivan is paid for and the wife hasn't said no to a Miata, know the budget can handle it and could enjoy a real toy. Only need a 2 bike trunk rack for that and I have one of those laying around.
I’d want a smaller 2004 4door Tacoma Double Cab with the original equipment power roof & after the recalled frame swap, color tan so it blends in with dunes in the cape, but I’d want the infotainment head from my 2014 Cherokee!

this is a 2003

here's a 2004 w/ a topper

this is one of my 4 4runners. this was an '85 w/ a straight front axle & rear leaf springs! a little 4cyl engine but had 31.5" tires. so fun! used to strap bikes to the back & front w/ custom DIY racks. here it is w/ the optional soft top

Last edited by rumrunn6; 01-31-20 at 10:14 AM.