Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Anybody start summer commuting & plan to continue?

Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Anybody start summer commuting & plan to continue?

Old 11-11-19, 04:49 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by wipekitty
I've been year-round for a while. The last six years were a short commute in western Wisconsin, and this year is a longer (18-20 mile RT) in North Carolina.

I didn't even bring my winter bike down here, though I brought a gravel bike and set of studs just in case of ice. So far, I pulled out the Level 1 Winter gear, but haven't used any of it other than the tights. I doubt I'll get below Level 1, but brought some Level 2 just in case.
I doubt I'll need the ski goggles, but one never knows.

I think winter commuting here will be lovely and delightful!
I'm going to miss winter this year...just a little bit

I did bring a pair of lightly studded tires down to North Carolina - it will be priceless to see the looks if there is actually snow or ice
Hi @wipekitty,

I note that you describe winter clothing in levels 1 and 2...any more? I have posted about my apparel for all year round cycling as levels 1 to 6.
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
"Winter is right around the corner"

On several threads, I have posted my slogan for winter riding, “Gear and Gumption,” obviously mostly clothing. For me, it takes a while to make the transition between warm and cold and vice versa.

As for the bicycle, the definitive transition to winter is mounting the studded tires, early in December, and removal signals winter is over, usually in late March.
The way I organize my winter dress is by levels (link), 1 to 6. (I got that scale from whitewater rafting, where difficulty of a river is rated from 1 to 6, and it works for me). The levels do not mean layers, but the combination of gear for temperature intervals, in increments of about 10 degrees F

The level makes the job of selecting clothing very easy for that decision to be made on the morning of a commute, without going outside. Sometimes I may bring along a piece of apparel from a higher level just in case.

The scheme is particularly useful at the change of seasons to remind me of what works. Also, I choose by ambient temperature and usually ignore the reported wind chill temp, because there always is a wind chill on the moving bike.
My sister-in-law lived for a few years in the Raleigh-Durham area, and I seem to recall that area was prone to treacherous ice storms coating the roads in Winter.

Keep us posted.
Old 11-11-19, 11:04 AM
capejohn

Bikes: Giant easy e, Priority Onyx, Scott Sub 40, Marin Belvedere Commuter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 31 Posts
Originally Posted by rumrunn6
here's hoping the cycling community picked up some new commuters this spring & summer & that some will try to continue thru the rest of the year!
Every year at this time I get to commute to work for six weeks. I ride the five and a half miles to the Salvation Army headquarters in the city. I drive the bell ringers to their assigned stores. I'm know is the office as the designated Atheist. Every year I have to remind my coworkers that everyone is an Atheist. I just believe in one less god than them.
Old 11-11-19, 11:57 AM
wipekitty
vespertine member

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 687 Post(s)
Liked 220 Times in 163 Posts

I note that you describe winter clothing in levels 1 and 2...any more? I have posted about my apparel for all year round cycling as levels 1 to 6.
My levels are perhaps not as refined as yours - but run something like the following. I used to live in western Wisconsin with no household car, so the levels needed to cover down to around -15F. Over around 45F, I get away with normal cycling gear, like fingerless gloves, knee warmers, sleeves, and a wind jacket. Then the fun starts:

Level 1 (low 40s to low 30s): Wind jacket with wool baselayer. Tights, full-finger gloves, thin wool socks with booties, ear covering, sunglasses.
Level 2: (low 30s to low 20s): Vented softshell with wool baselayer. Thick wool socks with booties, add silk liner to full-finger gloves, add balaclava.
Level 3: (low 20s to maybe 10 above): Vented softshell with thicker wool baselayer. Thick wool socks with booties and toe warmers OR winter boots, heavy GoreTex ski gloves, add snowboard helmet and ski goggles.
Level 4: (10-0): Vented softshell with multiple wool baselayers. Winter boots, add single liner to ski gloves, add outer layer (rain pants) over tights.
Level 5: (below 0): Vented softshell with multiple wool baselayers. Winter boots, two liners in ski gloves, outer layer (rain pants) over tights, additional face cover. In western Wisconsin this kind of temperature usually means high winds, so the idea is to eliminate skin exposure.

My sister-in-law lived for a few years in the Raleigh-Durham area, and I seem to recall that area was prone to treacherous ice storms coating the roads in Winter.

Keep us posted.
I've heard that as well. Fortunately, my workplace is pretty good about shutting down for inclement weather, so I should not need to commute much, if at all, on the ice. I brought the studded tires just in case, because I've been commuting for so long that my winter driving skills are pretty much nonexistent!
Old 11-11-19, 12:12 PM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
I note that you describe winter clothing in levels 1 and 2...any more? I have posted about my apparel for all year round cycling as levels 1 to 6…?
...for my 14 mile commute (temperatures in parentheses):

50-70F
Level I (>70): Shorts, short sleeve shirt.

Level II (60): Add thin long legged tights and/or long-sleeve jersey
(50): Add fleece shirt, maybe a wind proof cycling jacket, and long legged cycling tights over thin tights;thin fingered gloves, thin balaclava

30-40F
Level III (40):...

10-30F
Level IV (30 ...

Level V (25):...

Level VI: (<20):...

<0F?
My personal best has been leaving at 8 degrees in Boston and arriving at my suburban destination at minus 9

I don't like being cold, so I tend to overdress a bit, but I have a rear trunkbag and can remove layers.
My levels are perhaps not as refined as yours - but run something like the following. I used to live in western Wisconsin with no household car, so the levels needed to cover down to around -15F.

Over around 45F, I get away with normal cycling gear, like fingerless gloves, knee warmers, sleeves, and a wind jacket. Then the fun starts:

Level 1 (low 40s to low 30s):...
Level 2: (low 30s to low 20s):...
Level 5: (below 0):...In western Wisconsin this kind of temperature usually means high winds, so the idea is to eliminate skin exposure.
Your scheme then is apparently specific for winter cycling. My system is year round and by 45°F, I’m into my level 2, with similar apparel, though I wear at least lightweight knitted full-finger gloves in the 50s – low 60’s; and I still haven't bought Winter boots.
"Keeping feet warm?"

I find neoprene boot covers tolerable on my rides rarely below 10° F, even with the open bottoms. Boots seem too expensive for the few times I really need them.

I do find the zippered covers hard to close and Velcro closures are much easier. I also have employed additional Goretex covers for wind protection.

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 11-11-19 at 12:43 PM.
Old 11-11-19, 05:46 PM
wipekitty
vespertine member

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 687 Post(s)
Liked 220 Times in 163 Posts
Your scheme then is apparently specific for winter cycling. My system is year round and by 45°F, I’m into my level 2, with similar apparel, though I wear at least lightweight knitted full-finger gloves in the 50s – low 60’s; and I still haven't bought Winter boots.
I probably mentioned this over in the Winter forums a few times, but I definitely tend to run hot! I'm of the school of 'fifty degrees, bare your knees', and my hands are usually warm enough with fingerless gloves over 40°F...unless it's raining, or I'm descending for over a mile. I've spent the last two months in North Carolina wondering how the other cyclists are not absolutely sweltering.

I'm too cheap to buy winter cycling boots - I go with normal winter boots and clips/straps once it gets snowy. I once tried SPD-SL in the snow, and that was a dumb idea.
Old 11-15-19, 12:25 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 510 Post(s)
Quoted: 7287 Post(s)
Liked 2,362 Times in 1,381 Posts
@rumrunn6, how is it going so far?

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 11-15-19, 02:00 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5218 Post(s)
Liked 3,564 Times in 2,331 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
@rumrunn6, how is it going so far?
lol, dropped it like a stone off a bridge ... guess I'll be sticking with just a few during the summer ...
Likes For rumrunn6:
Old 11-15-19, 04:55 PM
Toadmeister

Bikes: 2021 Salsa Fargo 1x12, 2019 Jamis Renegade Exploit 1x11. Motobacne NX Fat Tire

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked 332 Times in 170 Posts
Biking to work is always the best part of my work day. Daylight and cold, windy, snowy Iowa winter's pretty much puts an end to my commute mid October- April. Roughly corresponding to commuting only with Daylight Savings Time.

Having kids also curtails many if my daily commutes, their activities are a handful. Got one kid driving now which helps some.

So during mostly the summer I usually commute 3x a week.
Old 11-15-19, 07:42 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mine is 22 miles one way and pretty harrowing and now that it’s pitch black out am and pm it’s even worse w several ‘kill zones’. During July it’s daylight am and Bright sunshine pm plus traffic is lighter cuz everyone is on vacation. nothing like that now

Last edited by rumrunn6; 11-16-19 at 07:57 PM.
Old 11-16-19, 09:26 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

@rumrunn6, that's weird. I thought you like winter riding, no?

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Old 11-16-19, 03:26 PM
Skipjacks

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Crosstrail / 2013 Trek Crossrip Elite

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 1002 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 155 Posts
My ride home yesterday was in the dark but it was about 45 degrees out. And no wind at all. That's a great temperature. Withing 2 minutes of starting you are warmed up and the air is the right temp to keep you from overheating without making you cold.

I ended up riding in and out of every side street to extend the ride

Now those 22 degree mornings this week have been rough. That's just cold. I'm cold when I start. I'm cold when I get there.

30 is usually my lower limit. I'll drive when colder. But the cold snuck up on me this week.
Old 11-16-19, 03:32 PM
Necrohazard
The Jon Snow of Cycling

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I started this past spring, and just did a really bad job of keeping up with it. I don't even live that far from work. My commute is approximately 3-4 miles. But I don't live in a very bike friendly area, so I always feel somewhat anxious about my commute when I do. I think that's part of what makes sticking with it hard for me.
Old 11-16-19, 07:55 PM
rumrunn6

@rumrunn6, that's weird. I thought you like winter riding, no?
oh you're right, I do! but the 44 miles round trip is too far, too dark (now) & too dangerous. I'm lucky I can pick & choose where & when I ride

Last edited by rumrunn6; 11-17-19 at 05:17 AM.
Old 11-17-19, 07:19 AM
tweekfreekdX
Title-less

Bikes: Surly Cross Check, and what’s left from my childhood

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 5 Posts
Well as of October 26th my commute is over for probably the winter. Rode from work to the gym, made the poor decision to take a sidewalk for the first time in months. Crossed a parking lot entrance with my neon orange, reflective jacket and strobing light. That wasn’t enough to alert a texting driver that there is a bike. They stopped right in front of me. Luckily I was able to stop right before hitting. Went over the handle bars broke my scaphoid. Lesson learned though. Funniest part it snowed that Wednesday.
Old 11-17-19, 10:30 AM
rumrunn6

Ouch tough lesson my Wife broke her wrist last summer- hang in there - you have some kind of cast?
Old 11-18-19, 10:13 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

44 miles round trip? I didn't know you were considering that. I had a 27-mile round trip, and that was too much to do every day.

Old 11-18-19, 12:11 PM
rumrunn6

44 miles round trip? I didn't know you were considering that. I had a 27-mile round trip, and that was too much to do every day.
haha no worries, as much as we know ea. other on the forums, we can't keep track of ea. other. been at current office since August 2011. the last office is where I learned bike commuting. it was a perfect 26 round trip, mostly downhill in the morning. mostly just 1 nice road, easy peasy. this place is a whole 'nother animal. was driving home Friday & I saw two cyclists going the opposite way. I moved to my right giving that traffic more room to go around them. it looked brutal. those guys had lights & were moving pretty good, but it looked rough. I've done this commute several times during the past cpl summers, usually drive in bike home, or vice a versa then the opposite the next day. this summer I did round trippers & it was great! I started this thread, mostly to enjoy vicariously thru others' travels ... I'd love another 13 mile one-way with a shower & locker!

Last edited by rumrunn6; 11-19-19 at 11:34 AM.
Old 11-18-19, 12:12 PM
rumrunn6

I had a 27-mile round trip, and that was too much to do every day.
yeah I like that distance but not every day year round. I can do that year round, just not every day

Last edited by rumrunn6; 11-19-19 at 11:31 AM.