Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Loaded bikes = more stable?

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Loaded bikes = more stable?

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-19, 09:15 PM
stardognine
Partially Sane.

Bikes: Soma Saga, pre-disc

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 972 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 468 Posts
Originally Posted by djb
that experience actually had the wind blowing towards my side of the road, so coming from the left, but the wind wasn't consistent, and the narrow shoulder then had a dropoff of at least a couple of inches onto dirt, but then just a few feet over more was a steep embankment, so I had to work not to get blown over the edge, but the on/off gusts always had me moving around from my steering input or body weight corrections.
When a truck would pass, sometimes close, their bow wave would push me further out to the right, so I'd have to anticipate this, and increase my corrections to not be blown onto the side down off the dropoff, but then a second later the trucks draft would suck me towards the side of the truck, so it was a constant back and forth of working to stop being blown one direction and having to react super fast to not get sucked in towards the truck.

wasnt fun, but it was what it was.

another time, when riding through a different area with strong winds, we met two cycle tourers who had had to take a day or two off because the winds were just too strong, and the woman had been blown right off the road, as her scraped up handlebars confirmed.

so yup, sometimes you just draw a short straw, and like in your case, it messes up your expected day.
One thing you learn with cycle touring is that its always a good idea to have some extra days for unexpected stuff, weather or whatever.

and we arent robots, we cant cycle along at a consistent speed all day, like Google maps or a paper napkin calculation will suggest....we often get slower as the day goes on, or need more breaks.
Yep, sometimes it's just better to have an off day, off the bike and off the road. 👍 Unless you really ARE a robot, then it doesn't matter. 🤔😁

That ride I mentioned earlier, with the wind advisory & semis, my arms were seriously tired, when I stopped, and I've never had any arm fatigue from riding before. I take that as a fair warning, from God, to quit being so foolish about riding, especially in bad weather. 👍
Old 11-09-19, 10:31 PM
saddlesores

Bikes: inferior steel....and....noodly aluminium

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 1053 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 229 Posts
Originally Posted by stardognine
....quit being so foolish about riding, especially in bad weather..
on those days, i always imagine the cycling gods in full armour sitting around a table in a starbucks in valhalla, rolling dice to decide the weather conditions for my particular ride.

when the dice roll an unfortunate combination, and it's no longer fun, that's when you take a day off. no point in forcing the ride and cursing the gods.

on the another hand, when the dice are in your favor, you get a tailwind on the nullabor, and you can easily do 225 km on your 75-kg bike-trailer rig!
Old 11-09-19, 10:50 PM
KC8QVO

Bikes: Surly Disk Trucker, 2014 w/Brooks Flyer Special saddle, Tubus racks - Duo front/Logo Evo rear, 2019 Dahon Mariner D8, Both bikes share Ortlieb Packer Plus series panniers, Garmin Edge 1000

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 405 Post(s)
Liked 115 Times in 99 Posts
Originally Posted by AngeloDolce
Are those normal panniers with 20 inch wheels? If so, do you have a frame to provide a higher attachment point for the panniers, or how do you attach them with smaller wheels? On my folder with 20 inch wheels, the rack seems too low to hold larger panniers. (I'll have to try a saddle bag.)
The panniers you see are the "fronts" of my set. I use them a lot as rear panniers on the folder and my touring bike when I don't need the space. Though, now that we have hit the cold weather I am using the larger rears as rears for my day trips as that gives me more space for clothing layers to go.

The panniers do sit "low". However, these don't hit the ground at all. I am not leaning real far over in a fast turn.

A more common question I have had is related to heel strike. With the set up in the picture you see I have 0 heel strike. For me in the kind of riding I do the bike and pannier set up works very very well.

That bike is a Dahon Mariner D8 - 20" wheels and 8 speeds. In fact, I am riding it tomorrow for about 25-30 miles as my touring bike is apart for a bit for some maintenance. Any questions just ask/PM me.
Old 11-10-19, 07:29 PM
stardognine
Partially Sane.

Bikes: Soma Saga, pre-disc

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 972 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 468 Posts
Originally Posted by saddlesores
on the another hand, when the dice are in your favor, you get a tailwind on the nullabor, and you can easily do 225 km on your 75-kg bike-trailer rig!
Now that's crazy, that you'd mention a bike-trailer rig. I've never pulled a trailer with a bike before, but I'm going to look at a cheap one tomorrow, for hauling water mostly. How did you know? 🤔😁😉