Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Not much to most here but huge for me.

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-19, 11:56 AM
Helderberg

Bikes: Had an old Columbia in the 80's, here a used Schwinn hybrid, now a Cannondale Quick 3 and a Topstone 105..

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 249 Post(s)
Liked 306 Times in 139 Posts

As a child I rode a bike as a means of transportation, fun and an escape from a lousy family life. I rode until I was in my 30's and blew out a disc on my right side that caused enough nerve damage that I lost 80% of the muscle on the front of my right lower leg and 20% of my right thigh. In 2001 I blew out a disc and lost the use of both of the front muscles groups on my left leg. If I bent my leg at the knee I fell down. Imagine how I found that out, what a surprise. The surgeon that cut the disc away from the nerves told me he could not repair it again so don't screw it up. Needless to say I was no longer allowed to practice martial arts, bike, lift weights, and had to curtail many of the types of work I did in my Plumbing company. Thankfully I found a Physical Therapist that was using a new Yoga based therapy that changed my life. Fast forward to 2014, retirement and a move to NC and decided to try biking again. Bought a very used Schwinn, sold that and bought a Quick 7, then a Quick3, and recently a Topstone.
I had a goal to hit 1000 miles this year but had some health issues that were trying to throw a wrench in the works but I can say that today I crossed the goal off my list. 1002.6 miles as of today and yes, I am counting the .6 damn it. Now I hope to get in another 100 + or so but the weather here can turn on a dime so no promises. I will be shooting for 1500 next year and will try to have it done by my 72nd birthday on the 11th of October.
Thanks for reading all of my ramblings, Frank.
Old 10-26-19, 12:25 PM
berner

Bikes: Specialized Secteur, old Peugeot

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 663 Post(s)
Liked 496 Times in 299 Posts
Well done Frank. Many of us card carrying oldsters have health issues of some sort. I have found that remaining as active as possible helps with those issues. In my case, a near life long back problem has been reduced in severity with strengthening core muscles. The same is true of a sometimes troublesome right knee so that overall, staying as strong and flexible as possible keeps me mobile and active. It is not always easy but at 81 y.o., it is necessary as you have also found. Bern
Likes For berner:
Old 10-26-19, 02:06 PM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 852 Post(s)
Liked 1,433 Times in 815 Posts
I know that accomplishment feels great. Good on ya! I have had four back surgeries and, fortunately, I have done well. Bicycling is a huge part of my life and I ride more now than I ever did in my younger years. All that should matter to you is the goals you set and the accomplishment of getting there.
Likes For delbiker1:
Old 10-26-19, 03:09 PM
rando_couche

Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked 167 Times in 110 Posts
You've overcome more physically than most of us ever will. Chapeau! And keep on pedalling.
Likes For rando_couche:
Old 10-26-19, 04:39 PM
OldsCOOL

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 313 Posts
Excellent! Way to go, Frank!
Likes For OldsCOOL:
Old 10-27-19, 06:40 AM
freeranger

Bikes: 06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 426 Post(s)
Liked 699 Times in 436 Posts
Great to hear you're riding and fighting through the health issues!! It is "much to most here"--at least to this fellow cyclist! Gives all of us encouragement and motivation to keep on riding. Congrats on working through it all.
Likes For freeranger:
Old 10-27-19, 06:47 AM
Ballenxj

Bikes: Diamond Back Apex, Mongoose IBOC Aluminum Road Bike, SR road bike

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 515 Post(s)
Liked 167 Times in 116 Posts
Congrats on your 1000 miles Frank. I'm guessing you have some sort of computer to keep track?
Likes For Ballenxj:
Old 10-27-19, 06:55 AM
Helderberg

Bikes: Had an old Columbia in the 80's, here a used Schwinn hybrid, now a Cannondale Quick 3 and a Topstone 105..

Originally Posted by Ballenxj
Congrats on your 1000 miles Frank. I'm guessing you have some sort of computer to keep track?
I use Strava free app on my phone and it shows the accumulated miles, elevation, etc along with you current rides.
Looking into if a dedicated bike computer would be better but right now this is all I need.
Frank.
Old 10-27-19, 07:08 AM
Ballenxj

Bikes: Diamond Back Apex, Mongoose IBOC Aluminum Road Bike, SR road bike

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 515 Post(s)
Liked 167 Times in 116 Posts
Originally Posted by Helderberg
I use Strava free app on my phone and it shows the accumulated miles, elevation, etc along with you current rides.
Looking into if a dedicated bike computer would be better but right now this is all I need.
Frank.
I use to use simple Cateye computers. They were simple but seemed to work. Wish I had kept track of total mileage. All these years later I went wireless with a Garmin Edge 520. It makes it easy to transfer from bike to bike. Now all I have to do is start using it.
Likes For Ballenxj:
Old 10-27-19, 07:19 AM
eja_ bottecchia

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1020 Post(s)
Liked 463 Times in 293 Posts
@Helderberg, Ride On Brother of the Cog. Well done.
Likes For eja_ bottecchia:
Old 10-27-19, 07:40 AM
Helderberg

I don't know how to take a screen shot but here is a shot of my screen. Thanks all and ride safe.

Old 10-27-19, 07:41 AM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8263 Post(s)
Liked 9,000 Times in 4,456 Posts
Huge for anyone, to overcome such things. Do you have knobbies on your Topstone? Do you ever ride on trails?

And I see from your screenshot you do a bit of climbing.
Likes For big john:
Old 10-27-19, 07:45 AM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
I don't know how to take a screen shot but here is a shot of my screen. Thanks all and ride safe.

Nice, and that's a lot of climbing over those miles.
Likes For wphamilton:
Old 10-27-19, 08:52 AM
coopman

Bikes: Specialized Roll Sport Low Entry and Bianchi Super Pista

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked 61 Times in 44 Posts
Way to go, Frank. Major accomplishment and very inspiring in light of what you have been through. Congratulations.
Likes For coopman:
Old 10-27-19, 09:04 AM
Helderberg

Thank you all for the responses. As far as climbing goes, unfortunately/fortunately I can not leave my driveway without going up or down hill. It has been great for the days I can not get in 1.5 hours on the bike. I just do the hill to my left or right a few times and get the workout in for my legs and lungs.
The tires on the Topstone are the stock WTB Riddler TCS Light, 700 x 37c and the tires on the Quick 3 are the stock Schwalbe Spicer, 700x30c.
The Schwalbe's are near their end but the Topstone's are very new. I have been trying out some trails but most of what I have done off road has been just that off road but have yet to get on a true trail. Looking forward to that now as I have gotten what I think I need to get out and away from home with spare tubes, pump, etc.
Frank.

Last edited by Helderberg; 10-27-19 at 09:08 AM.
Old 10-27-19, 11:21 AM
Digger Goreman
Quidam Bike Super Hero

Bikes: 1995 Trek 800 Sport, aka, "CamelTrek"

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 282 Posts
Frank, I want to be you when I grow up!

Never say "enough"....
Likes For Digger Goreman:
Old 10-27-19, 02:24 PM
philbob57

Bikes: frankenbike based on MKM frame

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 715 Post(s)
Liked 611 Times in 376 Posts
I suspect the first 1000 mile year is a big deal for everyone, especially with all that climbing, especially with that surgical background. Congratulations!
Likes For philbob57:
Old 10-27-19, 04:33 PM
Helderberg

Thank you all for the kind words and encouragement.
Frank.
Old 10-27-19, 11:18 PM
jrhoneOC

Bikes: 2021 Specialized Chisel

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 40 Posts
Awesome!!! Congrats!!!
Likes For jrhoneOC:
Old 10-27-19, 11:56 PM
Hondo Gravel
Life Feeds On Life

Bikes: Too many Motobecanes

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 4409 Post(s)
Liked 4,521 Times in 3,023 Posts
You got up and you conquered
Likes For Hondo Gravel:
Old 10-28-19, 04:46 AM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1627 Post(s)
Liked 3,113 Times in 1,683 Posts
my biggest fear is a lack of mobility. i feel that inaction and too much sitting around/sedentary time contributes to a lack of mobility.
have a long-standing back problem but as soon as i'm able to go, i try to go. even if it's just for a short spell. atrophy is real.
good for you. may your mileage/results be even greater in 2020.
Likes For diphthong:
Old 10-28-19, 06:51 AM
TakingMyTime

Bikes: Canyon Endurace

Quoted: 1041 Post(s)
Liked 922 Times in 539 Posts
Frank, congrats on your journey.

Almost all of us here are ready and willing to give advice and support to anyone who comes looking for it. This may be an overstatement, but the world would probably be a better place if people took your lead and tried to better their lives in a constructive and healthful way. Too many people are all too willing to just give up and accept the aging process as something that nothing can be done about. We have all proven them wrong.
Likes For TakingMyTime:
Old 10-28-19, 07:29 AM
Helderberg

Originally Posted by TakingMyTime
Frank, congrats on your journey.

Almost all of us here are ready and willing to give advice and support to anyone who comes looking for it. This may be an overstatement, but the world would probably be a better place if people took your lead and tried to better their lives in a constructive and healthful way. Too many people are all too willing to just give up and accept the aging process as something that nothing can be done about. We have all proven them wrong.
I come here to the 50+ forum as it is the most supportive and inspiring of the list of possibilities at Bikeforums in my opinion. In truth, the posts I have read here have inspired me to keep going and pushing to achieve more. I also realize I have actually aged out of this forum and should be in the 68 group but I guess my ego just won't let me go there. At some point I will have to face the facts but for now I will keep riding and posting here with my ego in tact.
Thanks again to all of you and realize that you all have been the inspiration to so many of us to just keep going.
Frank.
Old 10-28-19, 01:04 PM
rutan74

Bikes: Felt ZR3, Specialized Sectur

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked 52 Times in 37 Posts
As a child I rode a bike as a means of transportation, fun and an escape from a lousy family life. I rode until I was in my 30's and blew out a disc on my right side that caused enough nerve damage that I lost 80% of the muscle on the front of my right lower leg and 20% of my right thigh. In 2001 I blew out a disc and lost the use of both of the front muscles groups on my left leg. If I bent my leg at the knee I fell down. Imagine how I found that out, what a surprise. The surgeon that cut the disc away from the nerves told me he could not repair it again so don't screw it up. Needless to say I was no longer allowed to practice martial arts, bike, lift weights, and had to curtail many of the types of work I did in my Plumbing company. Thankfully I found a Physical Therapist that was using a new Yoga based therapy that changed my life. Fast forward to 2014, retirement and a move to NC and decided to try biking again. Bought a very used Schwinn, sold that and bought a Quick 7, then a Quick3, and recently a Topstone.
I had a goal to hit 1000 miles this year but had some health issues that were trying to throw a wrench in the works but I can say that today I crossed the goal off my list. 1002.6 miles as of today and yes, I am counting the .6 damn it. Now I hope to get in another 100 + or so but the weather here can turn on a dime so no promises. I will be shooting for 1500 next year and will try to have it done by my 72nd birthday on the 11th of October.
Thanks for reading all of my ramblings, Frank.
Take it from me, that is great. I remember back 6-7 years ago I got back on the bike to return a Redbox DVD. The store was "only' 7 miles. I had to stop 3 times to get there and rest. Then on the way back, I just could not go on and had to call the SAG wagon driven by the wife. 7 years later, that is the only time I have had to call any SAG wagon to pick me up. Talk about a humbling experience.

That first year was really tough but I kept records and I encourage anyone to keep records because in a few months you can look back on where you were compared to where you are now.

It is a slog but keep going. All of us in here have faced similar situations either starting or getting back on the bike. One thing for sure is that things do not come easy at over 50 unless you are talking about laying on the couch. It is now hard work along with the mental part of it.

Again, congrats. Keep up the work. Get to a spin class if you can once the weather turns. I am in SC and can only ride is the weather is right, on the weekend. So, I am a slave to the spin bike for the next couple of months. At least it keeps my legs moving. After having come so far, it s scary to think of starting all over again. That keeps me moving. Hopefully your back cooperates!

john
Likes For rutan74:
Old 10-28-19, 01:44 PM
nomadmax 

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked 1,824 Times in 878 Posts
It's a big deal Frank. Good for you and keep it up.
Likes For nomadmax:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.