Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

How do you deal with the fear of being ran over one day? Almost ran over a few times.

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

How do you deal with the fear of being ran over one day? Almost ran over a few times.

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-19, 12:08 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by prj71
Well ****. I guess I'm going to stop riding. Life is dangerous!!!

But in any case...this thread about cars and bikes together on the road. I offered two viable possibilities to minimize that interaction between car and bike. Not bike and tree.
Well, if you're going to claim this is a proper response to the OP, you should probably have noticed it specifically states that the OP has to do a lot of riding in the streets. Did you really think that you encounter fewer cars mountain biking is something the OP needed to be told? That's like telling someone complaining about getting rained on while commuting that they could stay dry if they stick to the indoor trainer.

All forms of riding have their own set of risks. What's wrong with comparing them?

As an aside, I'm pretty sure I'm safer on the street. My dirt-riding skills are really bad and it just has so little to do with what I love about road biking that I don't have the patience to work on them.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 11-06-19, 05:43 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Originally Posted by prj71
Simple.

Gravel Riding or Mountain Biking. Gravel riding puts your chance of coming across cars near zero. Mountain Biking = No cars at all.
What about commuting, bike packing and touring all of which involve riding on the road at least some of the time ??. Should people give up doing these types of riding just because it involves riding on roads ??...I do both gravel grinding and mountain biking but I am also a commuter.....Oh and mountain biking can be a very dangerous activity, people have been paralyzed, killed and suffered broken bones and all types of injuries while mountain biking.

Last edited by wolfchild; 11-06-19 at 05:53 PM.
Old 11-06-19, 05:56 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Originally Posted by eja_ bottecchia
It is a doppler radar and it works by alerting riders of traffic approaching from the rear.

It is very effective.

I am very happy with it.

Here is a full review:

https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2018/04/...th-review.html
I think a mirror is a lot more useful than some radar.
Old 11-06-19, 06:26 PM
eja_ bottecchia

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1020 Post(s)
Liked 463 Times in 293 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild
A mirror is definitely cheaper. I am not sure if it is more useful.

Originally I felt the same way as you do.

Now I won’t ride without it.

Whatever works for you, that is what you should do.

Last edited by eja_ bottecchia; 11-07-19 at 01:50 AM.
Old 11-06-19, 07:34 PM
RMoudatir

Bikes: Otso Warakin, 2014 Fuji Sportif 1.4 disc

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts
I just remembered reading a couple years ago an article on how these people touring would get these pool noodles, attach them to the rear of the bike and that would make drivers who pass by give more space. Honestly I think losing some watts over being road kill is not such a bad trade off.
Old 11-06-19, 07:49 PM
FiftySix
I'm the anecdote.

Bikes: '12 Schwinn, '13 Norco

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 1,176 Times in 795 Posts
Originally Posted by RMoudatir
I just remembered reading a couple years ago an article on how these people touring would get these pool noodles, attach them to the rear of the bike and that would make drivers who pass by give more space. Honestly I think losing some watts over being road kill is not such a bad trade off.
I haven't seen that in person, yet. Looks like trouble for passing in between cars in a downtown environment, if the photo half way down the webpage below is an indicator.

https://www.chron.com/travel/resourc...e-13923482.php
Old 11-06-19, 08:27 PM
wolfchild
Banned

A pool noodle makes a cyclist look idiotic and won't prevent a distracted driver from hitting them. If a distracted driver can't even see a car or a red light or a stop sign, do you really think that they're going to notice a pool noodle ??...A pool noodle would also be very impractical when filtering between cars in traffic or when riding on MUPS full of other people...If somebody is really that fearful then maybe it's time for them to give up cycling and find another activity that is safer.
Likes For wolfchild:
Old 11-07-19, 01:27 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7652 Post(s)
Liked 3,478 Times in 1,836 Posts
A guy on another site who rides about 12K miles per year recently got radar and he loves it ... obviously he doesn't Need it as he manages to survive and ride a ton, but he likes getting an audible and visual warning of approaching cars. He has it connected to his Garmin so it does some flash frequency thing to alert him to closing speeds.

I am sure I would end up staring at the radar and hit something ahead of me, but this guy like it.

As for pool noodles ... if a driver knows I am there and respects my right to be there, I don't need it. if not, I might as well wrap it around me as padding. Some drivers, I'd bet, would try to hit the pool noodle just to be smart-asses.

If, because of commuting times and lack of alternate routes, you Have to ride a bad stretch of road, stay relaxed. When i was a full-time commuter, for a while I was forced to pick between a few terrible roads at rush hour. That is where I learned to take the lane when I needed to ... I didn't realize until years later that there was a whole religion built around it. I just did it for safety.

Like Jim from near Harvard, I also learned to take the lane and once noticed, give it back when appropriate.

Also ... if you commute on a schedule ... so do the drivers. Likely the same people are passing you every day. Hopefully they will get used to seeing you, and figure out how to cope, just as you will.
Old 11-07-19, 04:34 AM
RMoudatir

A pool noodle makes a cyclist look idiotic and won't prevent a distracted driver from hitting them. If a distracted driver can't even see a car or a red light or a stop sign, do you really think that they're going to notice a pool noodle ??...A pool noodle would also be very impractical when filtering between cars in traffic or when riding on MUPS full of other people...If somebody is really that fearful then maybe it's time for them to give up cycling and find another activity that is safer.
I think it's redundant for city riding but I thought if you are touring or bikepacking on one lane remote highways that this would be a little helpful.
Old 11-07-19, 04:50 AM
RMoudatir

Originally Posted by Maelochs
A guy on another site who rides about 12K miles per year recently got radar and he loves it ... obviously he doesn't Need it as he manages to survive and ride a ton, but he likes getting an audible and visual warning of approaching cars. He has it connected to his Garmin so it does some flash frequency thing to alert him to closing speeds.

I am sure I would end up staring at the radar and hit something ahead of me, but this guy like it.

As for pool noodles ... if a driver knows I am there and respects my right to be there, I don't need it. if not, I might as well wrap it around me as padding. Some drivers, I'd bet, would try to hit the pool noodle just to be smart-asses.

If, because of commuting times and lack of alternate routes, you Have to ride a bad stretch of road, stay relaxed. When i was a full-time commuter, for a while I was forced to pick between a few terrible roads at rush hour. That is where I learned to take the lane when I needed to ... I didn't realize until years later that there was a whole religion built around it. I just did it for safety.

Like Jim from near Harvard, I also learned to take the lane and once noticed, give it back when appropriate.

Also ... if you commute on a schedule ... so do the drivers. Likely the same people are passing you every day. Hopefully they will get used to seeing you, and figure out how to cope, just as you will.
It's like when I'm in the more crowded dense roads, I feel quite comfortable and don't even think about it much, but when I'm in a situation where I am on a road with one lane that is empty and then see a car speeding past the 40-55 mph speed limit with a big gap behind me and not slow down at all till they're a few yards away, that's when I start freaking out in my mind and flinch each time a car passes by at that speed. It's even worse when sometimes these semi trucks go 50-60 mph right by me, it's like every cell in my body freezes when I turn my head and watch those trucks speed past me only a bike's length away, one wrong move from me or the driver and that's it. It sort of disturbs me to think that I'm only a few feet away from death each time a semi passes by.
Old 11-07-19, 05:23 AM
RMoudatir

Originally Posted by 63rickert
I simply do not have that particular fear. Being run over is a highly unlikely accident. Like being hit by lightning. In almost all cases when a motor vehicle hits a cyclist the cyclist is thrown. The initial impact can be bad and the landing is possibly very bad. Being physically under the wheels of a motor vehicle is so remote a possibility it is not worth thinking about. But that is the nightmare that lives in the collective imagination. Why do so many feed that nightmare?

"Almost ran over a few times." Apparently in a short span of time. I doubt it. That is a perception, not a fact. If the perception is that extreme the answer is not to ride.

In a lifetime of riding, 61 years, I have been hit with injury exactly twice. First one happened when a drunk driver exited an enter-only 5mph alley at 20mph. My view of alley was obscured by parked cars. Alley was in middle of a blank brick wall immediately next to the traffic lane. I suffered the need to have three stitches in my chin. Thirty-two years later second injury was caused by a post office truck traveling the wrong way on a one way bicycle path. No way anyone could be prepared for that. Head-on collision with a truck. Turned out that driver had had four accidents in six weeks, had a forged green card, had a forged drivers license, the California Highway Patrol did not even check his license because postal bureaucracy. I needed forty stitches in my leg and rode home from the ER.

No idea how many times I have been hit by vehicles in traffic. Lots. Usually sideswiped by mirrors, sometimes rear ended, have had Chicago buses pull into the curb when I was in the way and in their mirror too many times. If no injury occurs, get back on bike and ride. If the bike is damaged it's a bad day. Also shot at more than a few times, this is Chicago. But it's really a difficult shot hitting a moving vehicle from a moving vehicle so mostly try not to even pay attention
You sound like you must have ice in your veins I envy you for having no fear lol. But to compare the odds of being hit by lightning with being ran over seems way off. A friend of mine was ran over in 2017, an expensive bicycle totaled and today was the first day he got back on a bike after 2 years. I had friends of my friends in accidents. A bunch of people who I follow on social media / YouTube have been in a pretty bad accident at one point, one of them disabled off the bike for a year, one of them killed in the Indipac race that I followed in 2017 which got shut down afterwards. That doesn't mean I'm quitting because of fear but it does make cycling stressful at times.
Old 11-07-19, 05:34 AM
Rajflyboy
Banned.

Bikes: Orbea

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 917 Post(s)
Liked 205 Times in 170 Posts
Stop at 7Eleven and get a Slurpee

https://www.7-eleven.com/slurpee

then relax a bit before you get on the road and then go ride and pretend you are Bob Roll riding the Tour De France
Old 11-07-19, 05:35 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3674 Post(s)
Liked 5,435 Times in 2,761 Posts
I was recently on a supported ride where someone was using a pool noodle. They looked beyond ridiculous. It's true they weren't ran over but neither were any of the others.
Old 11-07-19, 06:34 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

You sound like you must have ice in your veins I envy you for having no fear lol. But to compare the odds of being hit by lightning with being ran over seems way off. A friend of mine was ran over in 2017, an expensive bicycle totaled and today was the first day he got back on a bike after 2 years. I had friends of my friends in accidents. A bunch of people who I follow on social media / YouTube have been in a pretty bad accident at one point, one of them disabled off the bike for a year, one of them killed in the Indipac race that I followed in 2017 which got shut down afterwards. That doesn't mean I'm quitting because of fear but it does make cycling stressful at times.

Careful with the calculation by anecdote.
Last year, I had two clients, both of whom had been hit by lightning. One of them had been hit twice, several years apart.

Your chances of getting hit by lightning in your lifetime are 1 in 3000. It's not that rare.

Knowing people who have been hurt doing something colors your subjective sense of the odds, that's likely true for any person. We really can't tell you how to adjust your subjective sense, only how we deal with ours. The real statistics don't show cycling as being a very hazardous activity compared to just about any transport or outdoor recreation, but the fact is that the hazards of bicycling tend to have a very conspicuous presence because they're big, made of metal and very close to you. We're also a lot more aware of our close calls than we would be in other activities. I'm pretty sure I've probably come close to slipping in the shower a lot more times than I am aware of. Not quite as noticeable as having a one ton van closing in on me.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 11-07-19, 07:05 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs
A guy on another site who rides about 12K miles per year recently got radar and he loves it ... obviously he doesn't Need it as he manages to survive and ride a ton, but he likes getting an audible and visual warning of approaching cars.

He has it connected to his Garmin so it does some flash frequency thing to alert him to closing speeds.

If, because of commuting times and lack of alternate routes, you Have to ride a bad stretch of road, stay relaxed. When i was a full-time commuter, for a while I was forced to pick between a few terrible roads at rush hour.

That is where I learned to take the lane when I needed to ... I didn't realize until years later that there was a whole religion built around it. I just did it for safety.

Hi @Maelochs,

Thanks for the nod, assuming it's me since since I live about two miles from Harvard ("Hahvud") University, and about 20 miles from Harvard, MA; and thanks for your sagacious post.

I don’t depend on drivers’ familarity with me on my usual commuting routes, though occasionally I get a friendly toot, usually by someone who knows me, though,
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
Over the years on my commute I have routinely encountered several people, and I like to give them nicknames …

There was a driver in a windowless white van often approaching in the opposite direction who would give me a friendly toot. This was during the time of the Washington DC sniper who also drove a windowless [white] van, so that driver became the “Stalker.”

I eventually met him at a coffee shop I routinely stopped at near my destination…
… He was very friendly.
I did engage in some discussions about those above two safety modalities for rearward protection
It is a doppler radar and it works by alerting riders of traffic approaching from the rear.

It is very effective.

I am very happy with it.

Here is a full review:

https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2018/04/...th-review.html
I skimmed the lengthy review and noted: "Garmin states that range is 153 meters [167 yards], and that seems about right from when I see vehicles trigger on my unit"

FWIW as a mirror advocate, and not to scoff at the product, I had posted on a previous thread: "Cyclist Rear Ended at 55mph":"At what point do you realize that the upcoming car ain't gonna swerve out of your line of travel?
It is still a bit unsettling to take the lane, though my rearview mirrors keep me aware, and I now scan them more frequently....

I soon determined that at about 30 yards [27 meters] behind me, the driver probably has noticed me, but is not yet impatient.

So at that point I veer rightward to acknowledege the car’s presence and show my cooperative “share the road” attitude…
So I think that 153 meters is a long way off, and quick decisions are made at a shorter distance.
A mirror is definitely cheaper. I am not sure if it is more useful.

Originally I felt the same way as you do.

Now I won’t ride without it.

Whatever works for you, that is what you should do.
I just remembered reading a couple years ago an article on how these people touring would get these pool noodles, attach them to the rear of the bike and that would make drivers who pass by give more space.

Honestly I think losing some watts over being road kill is not such a bad trade off.
Originally Posted by FiftySix
I haven't seen that in person, yet. Looks like trouble for passing in between cars in a downtown environment, if the photo half way down the webpage below is an indicator.

https://www.chron.com/travel/resourc...e-13923482.php
A pool noodle makes a cyclist look idiotic and won't prevent a distracted driver from hitting them. If a distracted driver can't even see a car or a red light or a stop sign, do you really think that they're going to notice a pool noodle ??...

A pool noodle would also be very impractical when filtering between cars in traffic or when riding on MUPS full of other people...If somebody is really that fearful then maybe it's time for them to give up cycling and find another activity that is safer
I think it's redundant for city riding but Ithought if you are touring or bikepacking on one lane remote highways that this would be a little helpful.
Originally Posted by shelbyfv
I was recently on a supported ride where someone was using a pool noodle.

They looked beyond ridiculous. It's true they weren't ran over but neither were any of the others.
I recently posted about pool noodles on this thread,
"Tips to stay visible while riding?"

FYA, see this discussion on the Advocacy & Safety Forum, including a link to a Touring Forum thread, about this little-used visibility aid:“All hail the [pool] noodle” (link) about using a pool noodle for visibility to shoo away unwanted intruders...

"All hail the [pool] noodle"

I first read about a pool noodle on a thread from 2016, and commented later:...

I was surprised by all the worries about antagonizing drivers with a pool noodle, I just never thought of that concern in my travels here in civilized metro Boston.

There is also a current thread on the Touring Forum about pool noodles, "Why every cyclist needs a pool noodle on roads,"That rant by @zweitesmal garnered four LIKES.

I guess the reason I never got one is that my safety practices (link) are more effective, and for the dork factor, though I still might try, even just for my commutes.
Old 11-07-19, 08:01 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Hi @Maelochs,

Thanks for the nod, assuming it's me since since I live about two miles from Harvard ("Hahvud") University, and about 20 miles from Harvard, MA; and thanks for your sagacious post.

I don’t depend on drivers’ familarity with me on my usual commuting routes, though occasionally I get a friendly toot, usually by someone who knows me, though,I did engage in some discussions about those above two safety modalities for rearward protection I recently posted about pool noodles on this thread,
I wouldn't tell someone not to ride with a noodle even though I can think of a multitude of reasons why it wouldn't work for me, but I would tell someone that if they do, they have to have it set up as detachable as it is in that picture. Otherwise, you're just giving some nut a handle to upend your bike from their passenger side window. There aren't a lot of such people on the road, but I've encountered a few over the years. If I'm "reading" that photo correctly, if someone tried that, the noodle would just pull out of the bungee cords.
Old 11-07-19, 08:11 AM
63rickert

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1090 Post(s)
Liked 331 Times in 247 Posts
The experiences you report are dreadful. It's your experience and I would not ask you to discount that. If the reported accidents were typical or normal I would stop cycling immediately. Wouldn't sell my bikes, would destroy them.

I have been cycling longer than most here and have racked up a lot of miles. Have witnessed exactly one death by cycling. It was a minor fall with very major consequences. A broken spoke somehow entered my friend's spinal cord between two cervical vertabrae. Total paralysis was immediate and irreversible, death came five years later. The fall was caused by a QR spindle that snapped. The spindle in question is likely the safest wheel retention device ever made and I still use same brand, same era QRs on my own bikes. This accident was a lot less likely than being hit by lightning.

I see a lot of accidents. Way too many. Just riding along and see riders going down. Number one accident seen in recent years is caused by riders simply not paying attention. Get off the phone. If you need to consult the Garmin pull over and stop. Do not mount phone on handlebars. Eyes on the road.

There is no question cycling accidents cause more complex injuries than formerly. I can remember year after year when the only injuries seen or reported within a fairly large regional community of riders would be broken collarbones, broken ribs, concussions, road rash. Injuries more consequential were just rare. I could diagnose why injuries are now more severe than in past, a flame war would follow.
Old 11-07-19, 08:31 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

There is no question cycling accidents cause more complex injuries than formerly. I can remember year after year when the only injuries seen or reported within a fairly large regional community of riders would be broken collarbones, broken ribs, concussions, road rash. Injuries more consequential were just rare.
Not to start an argument, just out of curiosity--do you know of any data to support that?
Old 11-07-19, 08:34 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18419 Post(s)
Liked 15,560 Times in 7,332 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
Not to start an argument, just out of curiosity--do you know of any data to support that?
I blame aspolding crabon fibre frame and forks and deli slicer disc brakes.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 11-07-19, 10:10 AM
drewtk

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 31 Posts
The Garmin Varia radar tail light is the best investment I've made for on road safety, aside from a helmet of course. The radar will notify your bike computer when a vehicle is approaching from the rear and tell you how close they are, including if there are multiple cars behind you. The tail light itself will flash red to signal the upcoming cars, and blink progressively quicker as the car approaches.

Great tech - check it out.
Likes For drewtk:
Old 11-07-19, 10:31 AM
Jim from Boston

I wouldn't tell someone not to ride with a noodle even though I can think of a multitude of reasons why it wouldn't work for me, but I would tell someone that if they do, they have to have it set up as detachable as it is in that picture. Otherwise, you're just giving some nut a handle to upend your bike from their passenger side window.

There aren't a lot of such people on the road, but I've encountered a few over the years. If I'm "reading" that photo correctly, if someone tried that, the noodle would just pull out of the bungee cords.
Thanks for your reply. That picture is a stock photo. As I posted:

I was surprised by all the worries about antagonizing drivers with a pool noodle, I just never thought of that concern in my travels here in civilized metro Boston…

I guess the reason I never got one is that my safety practices (link) are more effective, and for the dork factor, though I still might try, even just for my commutes.
Though I have not used one yet. I know you post from New Hampshire, and I take note of your encounters.

I wonder if a pool noodle with a red rear light attached at the end would be more effective at night. The noodle would be hardly visible but the red light would enlarge the cyclist perimeter.

I once tried this device to expand my rearward profile:
Originally Posted by SugarMonkey
“laser guided bike lane”

I saw this insane thing at Kohl's and had to share.

It projects a bike lane that is somehow supposed to make it better for you among cars.
Originally Posted by Viich
I've seen them, wouldn't pay the price they're asking (it was near $200). It's just a tail-light, if it was $25 instead of the $15 light I have now, I might use it, but !$!$!!!!
Originally Posted by TenSpeedV2
12/10 would not use
Originally Posted by ItsJustMe
This has been discussed to death here. You can buy them for < $10 on china sites. They're garbage. .!!!!

Even if they were visible (they're not) from a car, the car won't have any idea what it is.
just this past Thursday, I was visiting in Michigan and bought one of these, namely byNiteRider, costing about $50.

It was a spontaneous buy, prompted by the salesman at the bike shop I was visiting. I thought it was an interesting feature, even as a conversation piece, and perhaps it will afford some additional visibility. I’ll be using it tomorrow for the first time for an early morning ride through urban and suburban Boston…

Not to be argumentative, and maybe it is a useless gimmick, but at least the flashing/steady rearward light looks brighter than my current Planet Bike, and even a slight advantage is worth it to me. …

One particularly useful rearward item IMO, I know exists but haven’t seen are flashing ankle lights other than those cumbersome D-cell strap-on yellow and red ankle lights of the 1970’s. I made my own a while back but the LED’s I clipped on to ankle bands fell off.
…One other lighting feature I’ve looked for and even tried to fashion myself are illuminated ankle bands that would present a rotating lit motion low down to signal me as a cyclist.

My attempt was to clip small lights onto an ankle band, but they fell off. Currently is a thread (link) on the General Cycling Forum about those strap on C-cell battery-lights from the1970’s

Once while riding a switchback highway in Colorado in 1977, we came upon a snowshed at the beginning of the curve, a covering over a highway to divert avalanches. The interior was dark, so my wife insisted we stop and put on our anklelights.

As we entered and followed the road curve, we saw that the shed was only about 100 feet long .

Finally, I recently bought a rear tail light with a laser guided bike lane. The rearward light is significantly brighter then the Planet Bike Flash I had, but the lateral laser lines are likely not readily visible to cars, and it was uniformly panned on that thread.

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 11-07-19 at 04:16 PM.
Old 11-07-19, 10:31 AM
63rickert

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1090 Post(s)
Liked 331 Times in 247 Posts
Why would data exist? I am talking about going back to 60s and 70s when cycling was an activity for children. Adults who cycled were plain weird. We did all know each other. There was a community. If you were part of the community you would know what was happening and would have more to work with than a statistician.

It would have been 1980s and well into 80s before I even heard of a rotator cuff injury or wrist surgery or punctured lungs. Those are all too common now. Just unknown in 60s or 70s. Severe injuries occurred when someone had the misfortune of meeting a truck or a drunk driver and otherwise we didn't much get hurt.

If you rode a bike as an adult, or even an older teen, you were going to meet the old racers. You would be taught. There was no such thing as a power meter. No one trained for wattage. Coaching was free. We trained for style and for form. Knowing what you are doing helps a lot in a tight spot. Being stable and poised on the machine helps a lot. I don't expect anyone to accept any of the above. The current received wisdom is there is simply nothing to know and anything goes.

A more recent example. Two years ago my wife went over the handlebars. You do not ever want to watch a 68 year old lady flying through the air. She was knocked off her bike by another cyclist. This was on the Green Bay Trail, an MUP, perhaps 100 yards north of the Kenilworth Police Station. Should be a safe place to ride. My wife did everything she could to evade the oncoming rider but he just kept closing the door. So she's in the air and we are both thinking broken hip, broken back, our lives just changed. She had just completed rehab on her shoulder surgery and that was presumed out the window. So while she is in the air, panicked, expecting the worst, she composed and arranged her fall. Someone above accused me of ice in my veins. That would be my wife. Zero injury. Colnago fork was slightly out of alignment, front wheel needed a true. But no injury, not a scratch. I see so many crashes where the obvious thought pattern is "It's crash time. Here we go." The consensus on this thread and every other safety thread is injury is inevitable. Accept your fate and don't argue with it. Horse manure. I was taught you can always do something and you had better do everything. Couldn't possibly count all the times both wheels have lost traction or become airborne and I land rubber side down and just continue riding. Close calls?
Likes For 63rickert:
Old 11-07-19, 10:48 AM
Jim from Boston

I wouldn't tell someone not to ride with a noodle even though I can think of a multitude of reasons why it wouldn't work for me, but I would tell someone that if they do, they have to have it set up as detachable as it is in that picture. Otherwise, you're just giving some nut a handle to upend your bike from their passenger side window.

There aren't a lot of such people on the road, but I've encountered a few over the years.

If I'm "reading" that photo correctly, if someone tried that, the noodle would just pull out of the bungee cords.
Thanks for your reply, @livedarklions. That picture is a stock photo. As I posted:

I was surprised by all the worries about antagonizing drivers with a pool noodle, I just never thought of that concern in my travels here in civilized metro Boston…

Though I have not used one yet. I know you post from New Hampshire, and I take note of your encounters.

I wonder if a pool noodle with a red rear light attached at the end would be more effective at night. The noodle would be hardly visible but the red light would enlarge the cyclist perimeter.

I once tried this device to expand my rearward profile:
Originally Posted by SugarMonkey
“laser guided bike lane”

I saw this insane thing at Kohl's and had to share.

It projects a bike lane that is somehow supposed to make it better for you among cars. [
Originally Posted by Viich
I've seen them, wouldn't pay the price they're asking (it was near $200). It's just a tail-light, if it was $25 instead of the $15 light I have now, I might use it, but !$!$!!!!
Originally Posted by TenSpeedV2
12/10 would not use
Originally Posted by ItsJustMe
This has been discussed to death here. You can buy them for < $10 on china sites. They're garbage. Even if they were visible (they're not) from a car, the car won't have any idea what it is laser guided bike lane
just this past Thursday, I was visiting in Michigan and bought one of these, namely byNiteRider, costing about $50.

It was a spontaneous buy, prompted by the salesman at the bike shop I was visiting. I thought it was an interesting feature, even as a conversation piece, and perhaps it will afford some additional visibility. I’ll be using it tomorrow for the first time for an early morning ride through urban and suburban Boston…

Not to be argumentative, and maybe it is a useless gimmick, but at least the flashing/steady rearward light looks brighter than my current Planet Bike, and even a slight advantage is worth it to me. …

One particularly useful rearward item IMO, I know exists but haven’t seen are flashing ankle lights other than those cumbersome D-cell strap-on yellow and red ankle lights of the 1970’s. I made my own a while back but the LED’s I clipped on to ankle bands fell off.
…One other lighting feature I’ve looked for and even tried to fashion myself are illuminated ankle bands that would present a rotating lit motion low down to signal me as a cyclist. My attempt was to clip small lights onto an ankle band, but they fell off. Currently is a thread on the General Cycling Forum about those strap on C-cell battery-lights from the1970’s

Once while riding a switchback highway in Colorado in 1977, we came upon a snowshed at the beginning of the curve, a covering over a highway to divert avalanches. The interior was dark, so my wife insisted we stop and put on our anklelights. As we entered and followed the road curve, we saw that the shed was only about 100 feet long .

Finally, I recently bought a rear tail light with a laser guided bike lane. The rearward light is significantly brighter then the Planet Bike Flash I had, but the lateral laser lines are likely not readily visible to cars, and it was uniformly panned on that thread.

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 11-07-19 at 11:26 AM.
Old 11-07-19, 02:26 PM
RMoudatir

. Someone above accused me of ice in my veins.
First of all you claim that my experiences were exaggerated from perception. I work as a bicycle courier and had so many occurrences in that I had to hit the brakes or swerve out of the way because someone was careless but I wasn't even shook up at all like these couple of occurrences. One of them was from error of me crossing an intersection and almost being T-boned from the right by a Prius at 40 mph. Then the other was me being forced to ride without a shoulder with cars parked all to my right and having a truck make no attempt to move behind me at fast speed on a curved section of the road. It's not the constant traffic that scares me, it's those more isolated empty roads that give vehicles a bigger gap behind me that somehow encourages them to go even faster not even respecting the speed limits at all that really bother me. I don't know if being terrified having a semi truck pass by me 50-60 mph is irrational or if that's a normal reaction.
Old 11-07-19, 02:35 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

First of all you claim that my experiences were exaggerated from perception. I work as a bicycle courier and had so many occurrences in that I had to hit the brakes or swerve out of the way because someone was careless but I wasn't even shook up at all like these couple of occurrences. One of them was from error of me crossing an intersection and almost being T-boned from the right by a Prius at 40 mph. Then the other was me being forced to ride without a shoulder with cars parked all to my right and having a truck make no attempt to move behind me at fast speed on a curved section of the road. It's not the constant traffic that scares me, it's those more isolated empty roads that give vehicles a bigger gap behind me that somehow encourages them to go even faster not even respecting the speed limits at all that really bother me. I don't know if being terrified having a semi truck pass by me 50-60 mph is irrational or if that's a normal reaction.
Yeah, I stupidly responded to that guy above, forgetting for a minute who he is. He actually invented cycling, and if you don't follow his advice to the letter, your legs will fall off.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.