Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Bike GPS

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-19, 03:49 PM
kaos joe

Bikes: Trek 5200, Rivendell Atlantis, Soma DoubleCross, Bilenky Signature tandem, Cannondale RT3000 tandem, Santa Cruz TallBoy, Kona Explosif, Bridgestone MB2

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 386 Post(s)
Liked 165 Times in 90 Posts
Originally Posted by Steve B.
We will all be curious as to how you like one method vs. the other, books have been written here as to which is superior. One thing to note is when you do a club ride, or any remote ride, where you do not have WiFi, when you complete the ride, you will need to wait till you have WiFi for the iPhone in order for your completed ride to be uploaded to whatever web based activity tracker you use, I assume RWGPS. As opposed to a Garmin/Wahoo which saves the ride immediately via the smartphone app and the cell data connection.
Well, I'm really pretty much un-interested in uploading my rides anywhere.......I'm pretty much solely interested in navigation, just as if I was driving somewhere new and unfamiliar. My version of activity tracker is to write down my distance ridden on a calendar, rounded to the nearest mile. So, I guess I'm still part cave man!
Old 11-19-19, 04:03 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3240 Post(s)
Liked 2,086 Times in 1,181 Posts
You might want to activate the function on the Garmin that will transmit the completed ride as smoke signals.

My problem is I’m a gadget freak and love computer toys. I was using a computer activity tracker back in the late 90’s, all those rides are on Excel spreadsheets that I’ve rarely looked at, yuk, yuk.
Old 11-19-19, 07:21 PM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 4259 Post(s)
Liked 1,360 Times in 943 Posts
Originally Posted by Hokiedad4
Any Wahoo user will tell you they're easier to use than Garmins. Everything is done using the companion app on your phone. Loading rides is as easy as pinning the ride on RWGPS, then sync'ing the device.
The Wahoos provide the same level of navigation that the ancient 500 does (through, the Wahoo is a nicer implementation).

It's easy to download pinned RWGPS routes on the newer Garmins (no syncing require).