Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Road wheel on MTB

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Road wheel on MTB

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-19, 04:05 PM
Tardymo

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Road wheels on MTB

My wife has a fitness bike and since most of the riding is done on paved roads, I want to buy a second wheelset for road, leaving current one for off-road use. Since I will be getting a new disc brake road bike soon, I am wondering if the same wheelset could be used on both bikes? From what I understand, MTB cassette can be fitted on road hub using 10 to 11 speed spacer. Are there any other incompatibilities? Front wheel on fitness bike has a 15x100mm axle and rear one is 12x142mm. Front axles on road bikes are usually 12x100mm, but there are road wheels which come with 15mm end caps as well. For example DT Swiss E 1800 SPLINE. Am I good with these particular wheels?
Old 11-13-19, 07:14 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2762 Post(s)
Liked 2,537 Times in 1,433 Posts
Originally Posted by Tardymo
My wife has a fitness bike and since most of the riding is done on paved roads, I want to buy a second wheelset for road, leaving current one for off-road use. Since I will be getting a new disc brake road bike soon, I am wondering if the same wheelset could be used on both bikes? From what I understand, MTB cassette can be fitted on road hub using 10 to 11 speed spacer. Are there any other incompatibilities? Front wheel on fitness bike has a 15x100mm axle and rear one is 12x142mm. Front axles on road bikes are usually 12x100mm, but there are road wheels which come with 15mm end caps as well. For example DT Swiss E 1800 SPLINE. Am I good with these particular wheels?
I am totally confused. It sounds like you are looking for a set of wheels that fits both your new road bike and your wife’s fitness bike? How are you going to road ride together with one set of wheels between the two of you?

What exactly are “these particular wheels?” The DT swiss? Provide a link to what you are asking about. You say the front is convertable from 12x100 to 15x100 with just end caps? What about the rear?

And regarding cassette compatibility, you need to be more specific about what cassette and what hubs your are talking about.
Old 11-13-19, 11:52 AM
AnkleWork

Bikes: old clunker

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 684 Post(s)
Liked 105 Times in 83 Posts
Maybe just swap tires as needed on the wheels you have.
Maybe just get a bike with the wheels you want then you'll have the proper wheels for each bike.
Old 11-13-19, 11:54 AM
cpach

Bikes: Too many. Giant Trance X 29, Surly Midnight Special get the most time.

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 533 Post(s)
Liked 312 Times in 236 Posts
To answer the actual question, those wheels will work on a recent road disc bike because it includes interchangeable end caps and can do qr, 12x100, and 15x100 on the front.
Old 11-13-19, 02:19 PM
Tardymo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Kapusta
I am totally confused. It sounds like you are looking for a set of wheels that fits both your new road bike and your wife’s fitness bike? How are you going to road ride together with one set of wheels between the two of you?

What exactly are “these particular wheels?” The DT swiss? Provide a link to what you are asking about. You say the front is convertable from 12x100 to 15x100 with just end caps? What about the rear?

And regarding cassette compatibility, you need to be more specific about what cassette and what hubs your are talking about.
Since I have to buy new wheels, I figured why not buy ones that fit both bikes. Sometimes crashes happen and that way I would have spare wheels. Or when on rougher roads, I could use these DT alu wheels together with 28c tires instead of much more expensive carbon road wheels. Quick cassette swap and I am good to go. Don't need to have them on both bikes at the same time

End caps for 15x100 and QR are included with DT Swiss E 1800 SPLINE and rear would be the same 12x142 on both bikes. Sorry, I can not post links yet.
Regarding cassette - 11 speed SLX M7000 on fitness bike, which would be swapped to 11 speed Shimano road cassette in case wheels go on road bike.
Old 11-13-19, 02:32 PM
Tardymo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by AnkleWork
Maybe just swap tires as needed on the wheels you have.
Maybe just get a bike with the wheels you want then you'll have the proper wheels for each bike.
Since I am going tubeless on all wheels, tire swap is almost out of question. That's the main reason I want to have two wheelsets for wife's fitness bike. Wheels with road tires for everyday riding, and a separate set for cross country riding. I have been running tubeless on my current road an TT bikes for 4 seasons now and not a single puncture. Road bike will have own wheels and as I mentioned in my previous post, these new fitness bike road specific alu wheels would be there if something happens to my wheels or in rare cases used for some specific riding (cobbles, rough road e.t.c.)
Old 11-14-19, 08:41 AM
Wilfred Laurier
Señor Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 649 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 215 Posts
I would bet that if you get a nice set of road tires for her existing wheels she will be amazed at the difference, and the need to swap tires for off-road use will be infrequent.

Also, if you get tires around ~32mm wide or more, then riding on dirt should not be an issue - she'll have to go a bit slower and more carefully on rough terrain than she would with 2.5" wide knobbies, but any dirt road or gravel path will be no problem.

I was going to provide some suggestions of tires that would be good for mostly road/some dirt, but I don't know what size wheels your wife's bike has. My favourite tires are Panarace Paselas, and they come in 26", 650B(27.5) and 700c (29"), in various widths for each rim diameter.
Examples for 700c(29"): https://www.universalcycles.com/shop...ls.php?id=7605
Old 11-19-19, 06:30 AM
Tardymo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Wilfred Laurier
I was going to provide some suggestions of tires that would be good for mostly road/some dirt, but I don't know what size wheels your wife's bike has.
Road bike wheels are mostly 700c, so I did not mention that wheels on fitness bike are 29". I'm planning to use 28mm ties as wider might not fit on road bike. Current tires on fitness bike are MAXXIS Rambler 40mm, which are good for the type of off-road riding she is doing (mostly gravel and some simple singletrack). They are decent on smooth road as well, but 28mm slicks will be better still. Yet 28mm I think is too narrow for dirt roads and riding in forests. I could get her a dedicated road bike, but I'm afraid that fit would be too aggressive for her and we already have 7 bikes (8 when I get a new aero road bike for myself). That is why fitness bike was chosen as a middle ground between MTB and Road.
Old 11-19-19, 07:18 AM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18373 Post(s)
Liked 4,508 Times in 3,351 Posts
700c, 28", & 29" all use the same rim diameter, so it makes that easier. Rim width can vary somewhat, but if not too wide, it will be fine.

You will experience a slight amount of bottom bracket drop when using narrow tire sizes, but since you will use the narrow tires on the road, it shouldn't be a problem.

I think the big thing would be to actually choose your road bike before you buy wheels that you expect to work on it. If you go with a used bike, then 100mm front, 130mm rear quick release would be the most common.

You seem to be looking at specific thru axle sizes, so verify that you can get the right adapters, etc.

Are you finding "road" wheels with your desired hubs? Choosing narrow MTB wheels? Or getting custom wheels built?
Old 11-19-19, 09:54 PM
12boy

Bikes: brompton sl, surly steamroller, fuji track, gary fisher bmx minivelo etc

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 12 Posts
I like the multiple wheel idea, and have extra wheels for mtn bikes, single speed and geared 700 c bikes and a Brompton. These wheels have different tires, for example, road slicks, cyclo cross and studded snow, so being able to adjust for road conditions is just a wheel change. With my Surly Steamroller I can change from smooth tires to studded snow or even a Sturmey 3 speed in a few minutes.