Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Advice on Brake Pads for Carbon wheels

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Advice on Brake Pads for Carbon wheels

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-19, 01:17 AM
dddd
Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race

Bikes: Cheltenham-Pedersen racer, Boulder F/S Paris-Roubaix, Varsity racer, '52 Christophe, '62 Continental, '92 Merckx, '75 Limongi, '76 Presto, '72 Gitane SC, '71 Schwinn SS, etc.

Mentioned: 132 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1565 Post(s)
Liked 1,295 Times in 865 Posts
Originally Posted by jyl
Why use the lock nut at all? The valve isn't going anywhere if the tire is inflated.
Usually the nut's purpose is either to prevent the stem from getting pushed into the rim as the air chuck is being forced on, or even more usefully to prevent the stem from rattling in the hole in the rim.
I sometimes use shrink tubing on the stem to get rid of the rattling, since I'll try anything to avoid having to use the stupid nuts. Some use tape.

Another thing is that I think it's high time that these long, heavy valve stems were made of plastic instead of brass.
It wasn't an issue in the olde days when the stems were all 32mm, when the nuts weren't needed either.
Old 12-15-19, 09:56 PM
Socal2000

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by caloso
I've been pleased with the blue pads I got from Williams. Unfortunately, they're no longer available.
what pads are you using ? I’m finished with mine from Williams and don’t know what to use
Old 12-15-19, 10:43 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Originally Posted by Socal2000
what pads are you using ? I’m finished with mine from Williams and don’t know what to use
If I can find some Reynolds ones on sale, I will get those.
Old 12-15-19, 11:16 PM
Socal2000

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by caloso
If I can find some Reynolds ones on sale, I will get those.
Reynolds over Swiss stop yellow kings?
i had emailed Williams and was told to use yellow kings but not sure if the yellow could rub off on the rim. Used some pads from previous carbon wheels and the grey pad sorta dyed the rim grey
Old 12-16-19, 04:13 AM
daviddavieboy

Bikes: I have a few

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 340 Post(s)
Liked 210 Times in 104 Posts
I use Bontrager cork pads with shimano holders on Campy calipers using HED wheels . I have about 3000mi on them now and there is still life left. I don't do any fast descents and racing is a minimum. They are deep tubular wheels so i don't use locknuts and the bike is not that old (2000) but it is steel and looks great IMO

Old 12-16-19, 09:49 AM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
https://www.jensonusa.com/Reynolds-C...bon-Brake-Pads
Old 12-18-19, 11:04 AM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,409 Times in 909 Posts
Valve nuts...

My Zipps have valve fairings and then aero counterweights for the other side of the wheel. I’m not fast enough for this to be relevant so they are not used.

They had a slight rattle at the valve, so I stuck a paper match stick in the gap. Then I got fast and worried about the imbalance and so I taped another match on the other side of the wheel. I worried that it was imbalanced so I added 2 more matches to the quadrants. After the wheels caught fire 🔥 I went back to aluminum.