Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Replacing Tacx Vortex Smart Trainer

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-19, 09:44 AM
hyg71886

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I am planning on replacing the Vortex smart trainer I have with a wheel less setup like the kickr and climb or neo 2t. I'm sure some of you have ridden both and wanted to get some input before I made the purchase.
Old 11-16-19, 10:24 AM
Athens80

Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 13 Posts
Input: they're on sale now.
Old 11-16-19, 12:21 PM
hyg71886

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Athens80
Wow thats actually not a bad deal. I'm just trying to figure out if I should get the climb. Does anyone have one or both to comment?
Old 11-16-19, 02:47 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22594 Post(s)
Liked 8,925 Times in 4,158 Posts
The answer is found from reading dcrainmaker.
Old 11-16-19, 06:48 PM
N00b_Cyclist
Destroyer of Worlds

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR "Molten Marble"

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked 73 Times in 42 Posts
Originally Posted by datlas
The answer is found from reading dcrainmaker.
This. That guy has more detail and advice than you will probably ever need. But he really does break everything down well.
Old 11-17-19, 12:00 PM
Jose R
downtube shifter

Bikes: Custom DeanUSA El Diente CTI, Rich Adams Track, Johnny Coast Fixed, Argon18 Gallium Pro

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I purchased the Neo 2T about a month ago. Upgraded from my very old Cateye CS-1000.

Spending time researching the various smart trainers (Neo 2, Saris H3, Wahoo) based on the reviews by dcrainmaker and GPLama I decided to go with the Tacx Neo.

Also note that Tariq from Smart Bike Trainers just posted a video comparing the Wahoo Kickr trainer and the Neo 2/2T:

I went with the Neo 2T because it seems the quietest of the three I was considering. I live in an apartment, so noise-level was important. In use, while pedaling, the Neo 2T is virtually silent. Only my drivetrain creates noise. While coasting on simulated descents, the flywheel does make a ratcheting noise, which can be quieted down by greasing the flywheel interior:

The other feature which I felt was important is that the Neo allows for left/right movement which improves the simulated "road feel" but also de-stresses the rear triangle of the bike from the torque of out of the saddle riding during steep climbs.

Using the Neo with a Wahoo Tickr HR monitor connected to my laptop or iPad, and using the Tacx app, it is a huge step up from the Cateye I was using before.
Old 11-18-19, 05:10 AM
hyg71886

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you for the great response, I road the kickr with climb and enjoyed it. I haven’t road the new neo 2T. An unfortunately since I’m deployed I won’t be able to. Because of the big sale I figured I’d order it now and have it sitting at my house when I get back