Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

High end bikes from Walmart

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

High end bikes from Walmart

Old 11-20-19, 10:53 AM
BillyD
Administrator

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene '04; Bridgestone RB-1 '92

Mentioned: 325 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11889 Post(s)
Liked 6,481 Times in 3,411 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
Well, the Walton heirs have owned Rapha for a couple years now, but they keep the Walmart connection kinda quiet for some reason.
Because Rapha has snob appeal, elitist appeal . . . Walmart, not so much. My snobby wife won't even go in there.
Old 11-20-19, 11:15 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,094 Times in 5,053 Posts
Originally Posted by badger1
Agreed.

It is interesting to noodle around exploring how this is set up. One can access 'Viathon' via Walmart.com, but aside from placing an order everything else (intentionally?) directs one to the dedicated 'support team'/website etc. The whole process, the WM link aside, is very reminiscent of e.g. Canyon.

The other thing I've found interesting is the relationship with Kevin Quan Studio -- design/engineering firm responsible for bikes for Factor, Cervelo, Cube, and Devinci among others. The Walton bros. et al. weren't fooling around when they set this brand up.

I suspect this may just be the first in a set of high-end items Walmart would set up a brand in.

What's interesting about this one is that they're deliberately foregoing the huge distribution advantage of free in-store pickup, which I suspect is to make sure no one associates them with "the kind of bikes you'd buy at Walmart."
Old 11-20-19, 11:17 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,094 Times in 5,053 Posts
Originally Posted by BillyD
Because Rapha has snob appeal, elitist appeal . . . Walmart, not so much. My snobby wife won't even go in there.
Yup, that was the joke.

Rapha is a "lifestyle brand", Walmart doesn't exactly fit the image.