Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

bottle bosses on vintage Bianchi Pista?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-14, 09:11 PM
jtwilson

Bikes: CAAD10

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Does anyone know anything about bottle bosses being present on mid-80s Bianchi Pistas?

I have an '85 Pista that has bosses on the downtube, and a gentleman recently inquired about them. I never thought anything of them other than the fact that I was happy they were there. Could they have possibly been added by a third party? The bike doesn't appear to have been repainted ever, and it's definitely not a fake due to the markings on the BB shell.

Old 08-16-14, 09:41 PM
Otis

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 11 Posts
A "pista" did not originally come with bottle mounts. Your picture does not show enough other details to elaborate.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/54616231@N04/
Old 08-16-14, 09:42 PM
onespeedbiker
Retro Grouch

Bikes: Yes

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by jtwilson
Does anyone know anything about bottle bosses being present on mid-80s Bianchi Pistas?

I have an '85 Pista that has bosses on the downtube, and a gentleman recently inquired about them. I never thought anything of them other than the fact that I was happy they were there. Could they have possibly been added by a third party? The bike doesn't appear to have been repainted ever, and it's definitely not a fake due to the markings on the BB shell.

No, a Bianchi Pista of any year does not have water bottle bosses. Perhaps we could see the rest of the bike..or is this just a con?
Old 08-16-14, 09:49 PM
jtwilson

Bikes: CAAD10

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by onespeedbiker
No, a Bianchi Pista of any year does not have water bottle bosses. Perhaps we could see the rest of the bike..or is this just a con?
Here's a flickr album of the bike. No pic of the BB shell at this time, but the markings look like my other 80s Bianchi. Overall, to me, the bike seems 'legit' - but I am not an expert. I'm trying to sell this bike locally, but I do not want to misrepresent it. Thanks for your help.
Old 08-16-14, 09:59 PM
NormanF

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Rivnuts.

Any bike shop can install them to a vintage frame without water bottle bosses. It will let you install a bottle cage on your C&V bike.
Old 08-16-14, 11:23 PM
onespeedbiker
Retro Grouch

Bikes: Yes

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Okay I looked at the other pics and there is no doubt your bike is a Bianchi Pista from the 80's. Looking at the water bottle fittings, they do not appear to be brazed bosses (as would be with a OEM Bianchi water bottle boss), but some after market inserts; this can easily been done with minimal to no damage to the paint. Outdoor Gadgets: DIY Water Bottle Cage Mounting

edit: As NormanF posted probably Rivnuts

I've done some centuries on a fixed gear that came with no water bottle fittings so I used the strap on variety. If you want to do some serious riding on your Pista, you'll be set with a water bottle cage! If you want them to be less conspicuous you can screw in some domed screws and touch them up with some celeste paint.

Last edited by onespeedbiker; 08-16-14 at 11:32 PM.
Old 08-16-14, 11:53 PM
ofgit

Bikes: Mostly '80s MIJ steel.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Looks like there is some rust bubbling the paint at the edges of the drilled holes. Rivnuts can be removed and the corrosion can be treated.