Search
Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

Racer Tech Thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-14, 10:37 AM
carpediemracing 

Bikes: Tsunami road bikes, Dolan DF4 track

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked 180 Times in 102 Posts
@shovelhd do you use the permanent green loctite or the penetrating one for BB30 bearings? I got the penetrating one and my bike is a bit creaky. The permanent one is for sleeving engine blocks etc but I'll use it if it's significantly "more filling".
"...during the Lance years, being fit became the No. 1 thing. Totally the only thing. It’s a big part of what we do, but fitness is not the only thing. There’s skills, there’s tactics … there’s all kinds of stuff..." Tim Johnson
Old 08-18-14, 04:19 PM
globecanvas
Ninny

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 686 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I just realized with the cannondale fancycranks I can just pick up a 50/34 spider-ring on ebay. It hadn't even occurred to me but that is a major convenience advantage of the sisl2 system. (Of course the downside is that you can't swap just the chainrings without the spider.)
Old 08-18-14, 04:28 PM
jtwilson

Bikes: CAAD10

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Anyone have experience with carbon fiber FD clamp adapters? Just ordered one for my up-coming build but I am wondering if it's going to be too flimsy. I see now that there is a K-Edge one that is only about 10 grams heavier. Opinions welcome.
Old 08-18-14, 07:06 PM
shovelhd

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by carpediemracing
@shovelhd do you use the permanent green loctite or the penetrating one for BB30 bearings? I got the penetrating one and my bike is a bit creaky. The permanent one is for sleeving engine blocks etc but I'll use it if it's significantly "more filling".
I use green retaining compound not thread locker. My bottle says 603 but I believe that has been replaced wit 609.
Old 08-18-14, 08:43 PM
tetonrider

Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
Quoted: 693 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by globecanvas
I'd guess about 1000 feet of the 10k climbing is over 15% grade, the rest is in the 7-10% range. Doable at 39/28, but it will be a 30 rpm situation by the end of the event.

I don't have a BB30 compact to swap in. Maybe I could borrow one, but it would be adding weight (very light standard crank on that bike currently). 39/32 would need a different RD and chain, or else I'd need to be super careful about not crosschaining, but I'm not going to take that risk.
globe...got any ideas on what your lowest speed will be? if so, use a calculator like this one to plug in the various gear combos and then see which will get you closest to your desired cadence.

guessing on this forum we're probably in the ballpark of similar power-to-weight ratios. now, power-to-weight doesn't directly affect gearing, but it affects speed. for me, 36x25 was >=8mph on an 8-10% grade when fresh. long event and some steeper grades and i'd think you'd be going slower....meaning you'd want as low gearing as possible.

i'd go 34x28...or lower. the extra weight of the bike will slow you down just a bit but will do less harm than grinding.

OTOH, we're talking about 1/2mph difference between 34x28 and 39x28 or about 5rpm slower, so it's not like you'll be spinning with one and grinding with the other.
Old 08-18-14, 09:06 PM
globecanvas
Ninny

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Given the original question (light weight vs gears) sounds like the consensus is to choose gears over light weight, thanks guys.

But, I wasn't thinking about things properly. The lighter bike has a hollowgram crank, and the hollowgram system is very cool because you can swap out any part individually. I can just get a 110 spider for it and use compact chainrings I already have.
Old 08-18-14, 11:36 PM
tetonrider

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just realized with the cannondale fancycranks I can just pick up a 50/34 spider-ring on ebay. It hadn't even occurred to me but that is a major convenience advantage of the sisl2 system. (Of course the downside is that you can't swap just the chainrings without the spider.)
do you need one? got an SRM for a customer who had these. he had 100 or so miles on his 50/34 rings before we swapped it for the meter and rings. been meaning to list it on ebay with a batch of stuff but haven't gotten around to it yet. shoot me a note if you are interested in it.

hollowgram cranks are nice, for sure. specialized cranks are a bit lighter.
Old 08-18-14, 11:37 PM
tetonrider

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Given the original question (light weight vs gears) sounds like the consensus is to choose gears over light weight, thanks guys.

But, I wasn't thinking about things properly. The lighter bike has a hollowgram crank, and the hollowgram system is very cool because you can swap out any part individually. I can just get a 110 spider for it and use compact chainrings I already have.
yes, this is a cool feature of systems like c'dale and SPZ....i have some MTB spiders for hollowgram if you wanted to go super low with gearing, or the "spidering" (i think that's the actual name!) if you want to go that route.
Old 08-19-14, 06:36 AM
thechemist
In the Pain Cave

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So has anyone actually had more stopping power from upgrading the actual brakes or is it really just the pad. Thinking of swapping my sram force brakes for some planetx or similar and hitting two birds with one stone(reduced weight stopping power).

I am running the swissstop yellow pads for carbon rims and frankly i think they suck. How are you guys cleaning the pads post race? assuming alignment is also key.
Old 08-19-14, 06:57 AM
Creatre
These Guys Eat Oreos

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Carbon wheels are never going to have amazing braking performance, no matter what you change. My experience for calipers is stick to name brands or performance suffers a bit (aka don't go with planetx, I hate mine on my tt bike). For pads, I thought yellow's did okay other than yellowing the wheel. I'm trying the black prince right now, but only have like 20 miles on them. It seems to not bite as much, not sure if that's a good or bad thing yet, I need more time on them.
Old 08-19-14, 06:59 AM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 678 Times in 429 Posts
Globe, if you are planning to swap the spiders yourself, you'll need the little Cannondale tool and a vise. (It can be done without a vise, but it is not easy, or advised.)

Chemist - I had Zero Gravity brakes for awhile. (Some of the Planet X stuff is of a similar design.) I didn't notice that they stopped any better or worse than anything else. But, they were an absolute PIA to set up. They never wanted to stay straight. I finally just gave up and sold them. Went with Sram Red instead. They work fine with a variety of pads.
Old 08-19-14, 07:07 AM
carpediemracing 

Originally Posted by thechemist
So has anyone actually had more stopping power from upgrading the actual brakes or is it really just the pad. Thinking of swapping my sram force brakes for some planetx or similar and hitting two birds with one stone(reduced weight stopping power).

I am running the swissstop yellow pads for carbon rims and frankly i think they suck. How are you guys cleaning the pads post race? assuming alignment is also key.
I've been using regular Campy brakes for a while now, with Koolstop pads, since 2010 for the current batch of wheels. I don't change pads when going from alum->carbon->alum. I did, back in 2008?, but after a few changes back and forth I stopped. At first I used the black koolstops but now the black/salmon combo. You have to have salmon for wet, the black koolstops are like water soluble wood in the wet.

Prior to that I used salmon koolstop on Zipps, like in the mid-late 90s.
"...during the Lance years, being fit became the No. 1 thing. Totally the only thing. It’s a big part of what we do, but fitness is not the only thing. There’s skills, there’s tactics … there’s all kinds of stuff..." Tim Johnson
Old 08-19-14, 07:19 AM
carpediemracing 

I was looking through pictures with my wife's mother (she visited sort of unexpectedly) and found the picture of the SRM crank etc that I was looking for before.

Total crankset, with SRM spider, cranks, BB, computer head (PCV), wire harness, chainrings, bolts, it weighs 573g.

Old 08-19-14, 07:26 AM
globecanvas
Ninny

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by topflightpro
Globe, if you are planning to swap the spiders yourself, you'll need the little Cannondale tool and a vise. (It can be done without a vise, but it is not easy, or advised.)
Thanks for the tip! I have the tool (actually I have the enduro version which seems better because it clamps itself to the crank). I may bend your ear when I get around to actually doing this.

I wonder how tedious the swap is, compared to changing cassettes? Is it reasonable to change out the spider-ring for different races?

I don't change pads when going from alum->carbon->alum. I did, back in 2008?, but after a few changes back and forth I stopped. At first I used the black koolstops but now the black/salmon combo. You have to have salmon for wet, the black koolstops are like water soluble wood in the wet.

That's interesting... I just yesterday read this on the Hed web site:

Originally Posted by https://www.hedwheels.com/hed-wheels-faq.asp
Contrary to popular belief a standard Shimano Dura Ace pad that is designed for aluminium rims actually works really well on our Stinger rims. The rim wear rates are increased ever so slightly with these pads but this is next to negligible. These pads offer probably the best and most progressive stopping power of all of the pads mentioned in this answer.

But, I have also heard it's bad to use the same pads for alu and carbon rims, because there can be aluminum shards in the pads that will tear up the carbon braking surface. I have no personal experience with carbon wheels, but I am looking at picking up some Stingers so I was just reading up on this.
Old 08-19-14, 07:48 AM
Creatre
These Guys Eat Oreos

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think people are more fearful than they should be about carbon stuff. I raced on a Zipp wheel that was cracked and had a hole in it for a while, so I tend to be more trusting. My first set of carbon wheels has been abused. Currently there are sticks/debris stuck in all 3 slits of all 4 swisstop yellow pads. That's gotta be worse than having a couple aluminum shards. And the brake track looks fine.
Old 08-19-14, 09:12 AM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 678 Times in 429 Posts
Globe. It's actually really easy if you have a vice and attach the tool to the crank arm.

With the Cannondale spider ring tool, I bought some bolts from Lowes so I could lock it to the crank arm. The tool has two flat edges that fit perfectly into a vise. You then just turn the crank arm.

The first time I did it, I did not bolt the tool to the crank and used a monkey wrench to hold the tool. It was not easy, but I got it to work.

But yeah, if you have the proper set up, it is easy enough that you could swap out the spiders on a nearly daily basis if you wanted.
Old 08-19-14, 09:19 AM
tetonrider

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the tip! I have the tool (actually I have the enduro version which seems better because it clamps itself to the crank). I may bend your ear when I get around to actually doing this.

I wonder how tedious the swap is, compared to changing cassettes? Is it reasonable to change out the spider-ring for different races?
it's more annoying to remove the hollowgram crank arm from the spindle than to remove the spider, IME. it's just annoying as you have to remove the bolt and the tiny washer, then use the separate tool to back off the arm. if you have the appropriate tool removing the spider is quite easy. it's also easy then to tighten the crank bolt and put the arm back on. i don't pull crank arms that often, but i prefer designs that don't require a separate tool to do it (e.g. shimano, specialized).

i wouldn't want to make the swap daily, but periodically it is totally fine.

That's interesting... I just yesterday read this on the Hed web site:

[/FONT][/COLOR]But, I have also heard it's bad to use the same pads for alu and carbon rims, because there can be aluminum shards in the pads that will tear up the carbon braking surface. I have no personal experience with carbon wheels, but I am looking at picking up some Stingers so I was just reading up on this.
IME, the shimano blue carbon pads work best on the h3c; not sure about the stinger. the h3c has a pretty damn hard braking surface, so it needs a tougher pad.

also, as for an earlier comment re: carbon not having great braking properties, lately i've been alternating between zipp FC wheels (w/ platinum pads) and shimano DA wheels with alu braking surfaces (c35 w/ DA pads). i think that the zipp setup brakes BETTER in dry conditions.
Old 08-19-14, 09:32 AM
tetonrider

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was looking through pictures with my wife's mother (she visited sort of unexpectedly) and found the picture of the SRM crank etc that I was looking for before.

Total crankset, with SRM spider, cranks, BB, computer head (PCV), wire harness, chainrings, bolts, it weighs 573g.

nice--you included the spindle. not saying you're saying it, but people bring up hollowgram weights all the time and there's much press saying that it is the lightest crankset. they (not you) often do not make apples-to-apples comparisons, e.g., comparing hollowgram arms to specialized arms--forgetting that the SPZ arms include the spindle.

i leave rings out of comparisons as they are easy to swap.

2 specialized arms @ 172.5 incl spindle + washers/lockring = 324g.
2 hollowgram arms @ 172.5 + spindle + crank bolt/spacer/washers = 365g.

splitting hairs, but the whole hollowgram-is-the-lightest isn't accurate.

hollowgram cranks are pretty awesome, though. love them for MTB.

i don't have an SRM road spider for cannondale handy to weigh but a MTB spider is 140g; specialized road SRMs are 118 (compact) to 169g (standard).
Old 08-19-14, 09:40 AM
shovelhd

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I used Reynolds Blue pads on my carbon wheels. They work fine in both dry and wet. I am about to try the Black Prince next to see of there is any improvement available. Calipers and levers are currently DA7900.
Old 08-19-14, 09:47 AM
Creatre
These Guys Eat Oreos

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Jeez. I think my Riken is like 900g or something with TT rings. That's like 3/4 a pound heavier than cdr's setup. Pretty significant.
Old 08-19-14, 09:48 AM
carpediemracing 

As mentioned above swapping the spider is really easy. It's a lockring holding it in place, unscrew that and you're done removing the spider. That part is comparable to changing a one-piece cassette.

However, also as mentioned above, removing the crank is necessary and not ideal. The crank is all aluminum, as is the spindle, so I have to think that there's more chance for wear as I remove/install the cranks.

Having said all that I've moved the 175 arms around quite a few times onto my two SRM spiders, as batteries died etc, and I've done a few removals for replacing bearings. If I were serious about doing more hill stuff I'd definitely swap spiders to get compact rings.
Old 08-19-14, 09:53 AM
carpediemracing 

Originally Posted by tetonrider
nice--you included the spindle. not saying you're saying it, but people bring up hollowgram weights all the time and there's much press saying that it is the lightest crankset. they (not you) often do not make apples-to-apples comparisons, e.g., comparing hollowgram arms to specialized arms--forgetting that the SPZ arms include the spindle.

i leave rings out of comparisons as they are easy to swap.

2 specialized arms @ 172.5 incl spindle + washers/lockring = 324g.
2 hollowgram arms @ 172.5 + spindle + crank bolt/spacer/washers = 365g.

splitting hairs, but the whole hollowgram-is-the-lightest isn't accurate.

hollowgram cranks are pretty awesome, though. love them for MTB.

i don't have an SRM road spider for cannondale handy to weigh but a MTB spider is 140g; specialized road SRMs are 118 (compact) to 169g (standard).
I posted it as a reference, it's surprisingly light. When I weighed it I tried to include everything I'd need to use it. The rings are a bit light, I think, and the aluminum bolts screwing into the small ring is nice. I'm using a Praxis outer with the stock inner right now (finally got rid of the 44T inner so it no longer rubs the chainstay).

I think my Campy Record aluminum crank + BB was in the 900g range. I think I took pictures of it on the scale as well but I don't know where those are.

Mother in law had computer back up questions etc and I did a quick "info" on the folder for pictures on this mac - 300+ GB, mainly of Junior (pics and videos). On a 500GB drive that's a lot. I forgot some of the folders I had, from previous phones and such. In another folder I have some dash cam clips. All the unedited ride clips reside on external drives.
Old 08-19-14, 09:57 AM
tetonrider

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I posted it as a reference, it's surprisingly light. When I weighed it I tried to include everything I'd need to use it. The rings are a bit light, I think, and the aluminum bolts screwing into the small ring is nice. I'm using a Praxis outer with the stock inner right now (finally got rid of the 44T inner so it no longer rubs the chainstay).
yes, <600 for the whole thing with head unit is pretty light. i suspect much of that is the rings.

DA 53/39 rings (7900 series) are 148g w/ bolts. (50/34s are actually heavier @ 155g. Guessing the larger rings had more material removed from the inside.)

PC7 head unit is 77g. A standard SRM is 169g vs 110 for a compact. The newer spiders have more battery capacity so I think they might weigh a bit more than the older ones. Maybe.

Still...I'm guessing those rings and bolts are fairly light.
Old 08-19-14, 10:54 AM
Homebrew01
Super Moderator

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1173 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 612 Posts
I think they make a non-permanent "filling" version.
Campag4life has several posts in the 41 discussing the best Loctite & BB30 installation info. PM him ? He's into BB30 discussions.

FYI: https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html

Last edited by Homebrew01; 08-19-14 at 10:57 AM.
Old 08-19-14, 01:07 PM
carpediemracing 

Originally Posted by Homebrew01
I think they make a non-permanent "filling" version.
Campag4life has several posts in the 41 discussing the best Loctite & BB30 installation info. PM him ? He's into BB30 discussions.
I went and looked. It's a green thread locker, not a green sleeve one. I should go get the green sleeve version. For now it'll creak a bit.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.