Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Garmin Vector S

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Garmin Vector S

Old 11-06-14, 08:04 AM
petermk

Bikes: Wilier Gran Turismo 2013

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Garmin Vector S

Hi everyone,

I am contemplating buying Garmin Vector S pedals, as they are now on sale for $675. Does anyone have any experience with them? I've tried looking for reviews online but most of those are either for the original Vector or just a description of these pedals without any actual usage experience.

Thanks
Old 11-06-14, 11:23 AM
thatcycleguy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Where are they $675? It's a solid platform from what I've read.
Old 11-06-14, 11:48 AM
Looigi

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts
Yes. It's a pedal based PM but unlike the normal Garmin Vector in which both pedals sense force, the S version uses only the left pedal to calculate power, similar in that respect to the Stages PM. The two-sided Vector is legit and from what I've read the Vector S is as legit as any singled sided PM.

Here's some info, though it's not review: Garmin announces Vector S: $899 power meter, also announces Cycling Dynamics | DC Rainmaker
Old 11-06-14, 12:18 PM
petermk

Bikes: Wilier Gran Turismo 2013

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by thatcycleguy
Where are they $675? It's a solid platform from what I've read.
I don't know why. It's a one-day sale, which is happening today. https://www.westernbikeworks.com/pro...ystem-standard (the sale price is for their leader's club members)
Old 11-06-14, 06:17 PM
jtwilson

Bikes: CAAD10

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've got about 8mo of use on my Vector pedals and they are indeed legit. I wouldn't be concerned about the Vector S at all. Way better choice than a Stages, IMO.
Old 11-07-14, 05:42 AM
evrythngsgngrn
. . .

Bikes: '96 Wheeler 7980, 2013 SuperSix-4, 2013 Felt F75X, 2015 Apollo Giro

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The one nice thing is that if you later decide you want both sides, you can add the right, which you can't do with the other single sided power meters.
Old 11-07-14, 06:58 AM
RJM
I'm doing it wrong.

Bikes: Rivendell Appaloosa, Rivendell Frank Jones Sr., Trek Fuel EX9, Kona Jake the Snake CR, Niner Sir9

Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quoted: 9742 Post(s)
Liked 2,812 Times in 1,664 Posts
You may see prices drop in the future when 4iii starts shipping their 400 buck power meter....although that price in the Op really is pretty good.

I think Garmin recently had a $200 rebate going on their Vector system with the two sided power.
Old 11-07-14, 09:17 AM
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

Bikes: Lots. Van Dessel and Squid Dealer

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1325 Post(s)
Liked 1,306 Times in 560 Posts
Tempered slightly as I am a Garmin Dealer....

I have never missed an opportunity to tell every Garmin inside person I meet that they totally and completely missed the boat on pricing with the vector. The S version (single pedal) is their way of trying to address how amazingly poor their sales of Vector have been.

Not long before the announcement of the S I got a 3 or 4 page technical bulletin on how to address all of the common problems that users experience with the Vector system.

FWIW - I have been selling other power units for the better part of a decade and have never received a tech bulletin like that from any of them...

I am meeting with a rep about yet another new power device slated for release soon. The number of options on the market are going to be staggering here within 2-3 years. Hopefully they all don't have to go through all of the product development woes that all of the other power meter systems had to before them.

Old 11-07-14, 09:45 AM
furiousferret

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 842 Post(s)
Liked 469 Times in 250 Posts
Originally Posted by Psimet2001

I have never missed an opportunity to tell every Garmin inside person I meet that they totally and completely missed the boat on pricing with the vector. The S version (single pedal) is their way of trying to address how amazingly poor their sales of Vector have been.

Not long before the announcement of the S I got a 3 or 4 page technical bulletin on how to address all of the common problems that users experience with the Vector system.

FWIW - I have been selling other power units for the better part of a decade and have never received a tech bulletin like that from any of them...

I am meeting with a rep about yet another new power device slated for release soon. The number of options on the market are going to be staggering here within 2-3 years. Hopefully they all don't have to go through all of the product development woes that all of the other power meter systems had to before them.
If you look at DC Rainmaker's site they show the power meter numbers for Kona and Vectors made the biggest jump. They are selling well, for power meters. I have no doubt the sales numbers aren't what they wanted, but the power market is small. Releasing it at $1700 was higher I expected as it seemed up until the last minute it was going to be around $999, like the original company (Metrigear?) stated.

I've had my Vectors for a year now and overall its a decent product. The only two issues are torque'ing and the pods. If you switch bikes a lot eventually you will get the torque wrong or snap a pod. After mine snapped, I got a new set which is supposedly a new version so let's hope its sturdier than the last. Additionally, about every 10 swaps the torque is off and so is the power (which is easily fixed).

Overall, I'm happy with the unit. Would I recommend the S? Sure, its a good product and eventually you can get the second pedal.
Old 11-07-14, 11:10 AM
Looigi

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts
...Not long before the announcement of the S I got a 3 or 4 page technical bulletin on how to address all of the common problems that users experience with the Vector system. FWIW - I have been selling other power units for the better part of a decade and have never received a tech bulletin like that from any of them....
I'm interpreting that in two ways and wonder which if either (or perhaps both) is what you meant. 1. Garmin Vector peddles have a lot of problems. 2. Garmin really has its support and dealer training act together as evidenced by them proactively providing this material.
Old 11-08-14, 08:09 PM
JakiChan

Bikes: Specialized Sirrus Comp

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
As a Speedplay user I do wish the original version had come to market as well.
Old 11-10-14, 06:41 AM
RChung
Perceptual Dullard

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 914 Post(s)
Liked 1,130 Times in 487 Posts
Every power meter that has ever made it to the market has had issues with their first release, and I'm not excluding SRM, the Look MaxOne, the original E-Tune PowerTap, the Polar S710, Ergomo, iBike, Quarq, P2M, Stages, the Vector, or the Look Keo Power Pedals. Sometimes the companies were able to fix their initial problems and survive to maturity. Sometimes they didn't. The past isn't always a good predictor of the future but Rule #1 for buying a power meter is: avoid low serial numbers. Rule #2 is a special case of Rule #1 : don't predicate a buying decision on a product that hasn't yet been released. They don't even have serial numbers yet.
Old 11-12-14, 10:43 PM
Darth Steele

Bikes: 2013 SuperSix Ultegra

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

As a dealer what kind of price discount can you offer? PM me if you like. I am looking to get a power meter, Stages seems to be around my price range. But I could be talked into the Vector S, for the right price.
Old 11-13-14, 07:03 AM
shoota 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 1872 Post(s)
Liked 692 Times in 468 Posts
Originally Posted by Darth Steele
As a dealer what kind of price discount can you offer? PM me if you like. I am looking to get a power meter, Stages seems to be around my price range. But I could be talked into the Vector S, for the right price.
Ditto.
Old 11-13-14, 10:21 AM
RChung
Perceptual Dullard

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 914 Post(s)
Liked 1,130 Times in 487 Posts
Hmmm. Dealer gives (tempered) criticism of a product and, undeterred, two posters take the opportunity to ask for discounts.
Old 11-13-14, 10:43 AM
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 147 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 47 Posts
Yeah, and throw some free wheels in or else.
Old 11-13-14, 02:05 PM
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

Bikes: Lots. Van Dessel and Squid Dealer

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1325 Post(s)
Liked 1,306 Times in 560 Posts
Yeah, no....not losing my dealership by selling to people on a forum under MAP.

The troubleshooting document was a long list of how to troubleshoot the laundry list of problems average users are running into that are causing incorrect power readings.

The people I met with are selling product already and have been for a while. They started after they had been hired to measure the drift of all the other devices on the market. As a result they are actually one of the most stable out there but too expensive for my taste.