Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Power Meter>>>Decisions decsions.......

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Power Meter>>>Decisions decsions.......

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-15, 10:05 AM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 679 Times in 430 Posts
Originally Posted by Silvercivic27
Just buy a quarq and be done with it.
Except for when in six months you have to send it in to Quarq for a warranty replacement. And again six months after that. And then six months after that...
Old 01-08-15, 10:17 AM
chil2makefun

Bikes: Provex (centaur carbon) 2009 - cube litening super hpc race 2013

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by topflightpro
Except for when in six months you have to send it in to Quarq for a warranty replacement. And again six months after that. And then six months after that...
Are those first hand experiences or...?
Old 01-08-15, 11:32 AM
bikepro

Bikes: Look 585

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Metro50
What's up guys.
Been thinking about biting the bullet and splurge for a power meter for the last piece of my build puzzle.

Looking at one in particular, the Garmin Edge 810 with Garmin Vector pedal and sensors.
Narrowed this down to about $1,750-1,800 range for new, but rather spend a whole lot less.

My dilemma is should I get just the single pedal and sensor or dual?
Clearly it's better to get dual pedal and sensors, but the million dollar question is IF it is justifiable?
Any current or past users to this particular setup in single or dual configuration?

And, any other power meter setup models in mind such as the STAGES power meter or PowerTap hub type?
I rather bypass the Powertab configuration as I've finally purchased my carbon clinchers regretably.

I'm all ears. Any opinions or direct links would be grand.
I would look at the Stages system. If they're good enough for a professional team: Team Sky switch to Stages Cycling power meters for 2014 | road.cc
Old 01-08-15, 11:40 AM
Silvercivic27

Bikes: Colnago, Cervelo, Scott

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by topflightpro
Well, I have 2 neither of which have gone back. I have many friends and teammates who have them none of whom have needed to send them back as far as I know. Also, everything breaks. I definitely know people who have sent SRMs and Powertaps back, and I definitely know 2 people who have sent Stages back. So to say they are any less reliable than anything else I think is a bunch of bull unless you have data.
Old 01-08-15, 11:42 AM
RJM
I'm doing it wrong.

Bikes: Rivendell Appaloosa, Rivendell Frank Jones Sr., Trek Fuel EX9, Kona Jake the Snake CR, Niner Sir9

Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quoted: 9742 Post(s)
Liked 2,812 Times in 1,664 Posts
Originally Posted by chil2makefun
I have a garmin 810 and had to make the exact same decision. Finally I chose to order the S version for several reasons. First of all, it will be my first power meter so I didn't want to spend a whole lot on it. Second of all, if I later would chose I actually needed the two sided measurement I can still upgrade to it. But most of all, knowing your left/right balance is nothing but a fun fact in my opinion. Most of us won't really have a very big imbalance to begin with so most of the people don't really try to balance it anyway. And in some cases the ones that actually do try to balance it start to put out less power because they're holding back with one leg. So I actually don't see the reason why I'd pick the regular version over the S version. And even if I would see some added value it still wouldn't justify that much of a price difference in my opinion. As far as stages goes, that wasn't an option for me since I want to use my powermeter on both of my bikes and one is campagnolo and the other one is sram (both carbon).

PS: As for the comment of ljsense​, that's the dumbest thing I'll probably hear all day and that's saying something considering it's only 1AM.
I bought the Garmin Vector S for pretty much the same reasons here. I figured if I ever wanted to go to both legs I could and so far I have been happy with Garmin stuff. Using Look pedals didn't bother me as I was already on them anyway.

I just started using them and so far it has been going well. Setup and installation was easy...really couldn't be much easier.
Old 01-08-15, 12:57 PM
ljsense

Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked 152 Times in 92 Posts
I didn't see a whole lot of support for my opinion, but let me go on anyway.

First off, I heard people throw around some terms such as "arrogant," "dismissive," "condescending" and "the worst," and call for me to not just turn pro, but win the TdF to gain standing.

Look, I'm talking to all of you in the same voice I use with my racing buddies. It's conceivable that we're all a-holes. I don't know. This is just how I sound.

Most of the people who tell you about power meters are either selling you one, running a publication that needs manufacturers' ads, or have one themselves and want the company.

I've been immersed in data. I've had my VO2 Max tested. I've owned power meters. I've gotten bored and attacked all the Strava KOMs around my house in August.

And I just think if you're on the brink of buying a power meter, one lone voice should be out there offering an alternative: Dude, why not use the 2 grand to get or do something fun?

I know that pros use power meters. Pros also take ambien so that they can more easily fall asleep hungry. Pros measure blood lactate as part of interval training. Pros take PEDs. Pros do a lot of stuff. Some of it is dictated by their sponsors and teams.

None of that influences my view that power meters are stupid. So are cycling computers and heart rate monitors. You don't have to use any of that stuff. It's not mandatory. Life's better without it.

I like the lap countdown cards at the finish line. I like seeing where people are in the field. That's the real data to watch.

And when I'm training I like the scenery and my friends and the coffee shop.
Old 01-08-15, 01:16 PM
Dunbar

Bikes: Roubaix SL4 Expert , Cervelo S2

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
First off, you don't have to spend $2k to get a power meter. Secondly, some of us are already training with power meters and find them the be fun and rewarding.
Old 01-08-15, 01:25 PM
grolby

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 60 Posts
Originally Posted by ljsense

First off, I heard people throw around some terms such as "arrogant," "dismissive," "condescending" and "the worst," and call for me to not just turn pro, but win the TdF to gain standing.

Look, I'm talking to all of you in the same voice I use with my racing buddies. It's conceivable that we're all a-holes. I don't know. This is just how I sound.

Most of the people who tell you about power meters are either selling you one, running a publication that needs manufacturers' ads, or have one themselves and want the company.

I've been immersed in data. I've had my VO2 Max tested. I've owned power meters. I've gotten bored and attacked all the Strava KOMs around my house in August.

And I just think if you're on the brink of buying a power meter, one lone voice should be out there offering an alternative: Dude, why not use the 2 grand to get or do something fun?

I know that pros use power meters. Pros also take ambien so that they can more easily fall asleep hungry. Pros measure blood lactate as part of interval training. Pros take PEDs. Pros do a lot of stuff. Some of it is dictated by their sponsors and teams.

None of that influences my view that power meters are stupid. So are cycling computers and heart rate monitors. You don't have to use any of that stuff. It's not mandatory. Life's better without it.

I like the lap countdown cards at the finish line. I like seeing where people are in the field. That's the real data to watch.

And when I'm training I like the scenery and my friends and the coffee shop.
Q: do power meters, when used appropriately, allow better and more precise training than other methods?

A: yes.

The data is in on this. It's unequivocal. That you personally don't enjoy using or aren't able to use a power meter effectively is your thing and that's cool. It doesn't make them a stupid thing for someone else to consider getting. Some people think life is better when they can use data to train better and perform better in bike races. Or just ride faster, I suppose, though I'll grant that using a PM to get faster on the local group ride seems strange to me. But whatever.

There's no doubt that there is a hell of a lot more to racing well than power data and fitness. Duh. There's a long way from there to thinking that data doesn't matter or can't help you get better. Smart racing can tell you which attack looks like it might be the winning break. The kind of targeted interval training that a PM makes easier to do can help make you more likely to be able to follow that attack and contribute to the break.

I know this might be a shock, but your opinion represents your own experiences and not objective reality. As does mine. Your word is not the definitive statement on whether power meters are useful, cool, or fun. You are just one person with an opinion and a keyboard. So are all of us.
Old 01-08-15, 01:29 PM
RJM
I'm doing it wrong.

Bikes: Rivendell Appaloosa, Rivendell Frank Jones Sr., Trek Fuel EX9, Kona Jake the Snake CR, Niner Sir9

Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quoted: 9742 Post(s)
Liked 2,812 Times in 1,664 Posts

Maybe people were calling you arrogant, dismissive, and condescending because you were and are being arrogant, dismissive, and condescending????

You began by dismissing power meters as fun or useful then you went on to assume the Op needs to lose weight.

Both your posts to this thread are ridiculous.
Old 01-08-15, 01:41 PM
ghause

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm in a similar position as the OP.
Given the cost of the two pedal system, plus the expense of tools to set them up correctly, I'm planning on just going with Stages.
Watch some setup videos.
I personally don't see the ROI in measuring both legs.
Old 01-08-15, 01:45 PM
ljsense

I want to hear someone describe the "fun" they're having through the use of a power meter.

I can think of only one example: testing your 5s max. That is where a power meter is fun. Blast out some sprints, see the big watts. That's what I did when I had my first power meter. Boom! Pretty fun.

And then on the second day it's just marginally useful data that you could basically get for much cheaper, like a wrist watch and a 20 km course or a 2 km climb. And you fret that it's not on your cross bike or your MTB or needs to be sent in for new batteries or is not communicating properly with your twitter account.
Old 01-08-15, 01:54 PM
ljsense

Originally Posted by RJM
Maybe people were calling you arrogant, dismissive, and condescending because you were and are being arrogant, dismissive, and condescending????

You ... went on to assume the Op needs to lose weight.

Here's what I said: "Intervals, you say. Measuring effort and exertion. Training effectively. Ok, fine. But give me a bit of a break. Get completely lean first. Ride 15 or more hours a week."

I'd say that I was debating the arguments I've typically heard in defense of power meters. I wasn't specifically saying that the OP needs to lose weight. But, come on, the only way he doesn't have to lose weight is if he's not a serious cyclist. Every single serious cyclist needs to lose weight all the time. It's just part of the deal.

So if you don't need to lose weight, you are not a serious cyclists. Therefore, why bother with a power meter? Because they're fun? I challenge once again anyone to describe this fun.
Old 01-08-15, 01:56 PM
chil2makefun

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Did it ever occur to you that 'fun' is different for everyone? Some like to analyse the data afterwards. Some like to see their improvements in fitness. And than there's also the group of people who use one not because it's fun but because it helps to train more efficiently. In your first post you mentioned he should ride more than 10 hours a week or something... Well while you go do that some of the more time crunched cyclists train smarter and get the same results in half that time. There are way more aspects to a powermeter than you seem to understand, which makes me think you didn't use yours fairly well.
Old 01-08-15, 02:10 PM
ljsense

All I keep hearing in this thread is problems with me: I don't know how to use a power meter, I am a jerk, etc.

Which makes me think my arguments are fairly strong.

This is my argument: Your success as a cyclist will not be determined by whether you use a power meter. In fact, you may well be a better cyclist without one. You will definitely save some money by not buying one, and you could use that on something else.

Think about other athletes -- swimmers, xc skiers, runners, rowers, speed skaters. They all find a way to their top performances without so much digital record keeping going on in front of their faces as they train.

One thing too I think worth mentioning is it's possible that some posters here actually are connected to the cycling industry in some way. Forums have good SEO and if you're, say, Garmin, it's not a bad thing to have a thread about how much sense a pedal-based power meter makes. And by the way, theirs are accurate, unlike those crappy Look pedal based power meters.
Old 01-08-15, 02:19 PM
chil2makefun

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
All I keep hearing in this thread is problems with me: I don't know how to use a power meter, I am a jerk, etc.

This is my argument: Your success as a cyclist will not be determined by whether you use a power meter. In fact, you may well be a better cyclist without one. You will definitely save some money by not buying one, and you could use that on something else.

Think about other athletes -- swimmers, xc skiers, runners, rowers, speed skaters. They all find a way to their top performances without so much digital record keeping going on in front of their faces as they train.

One thing too I think worth mentioning is it's possible that some posters here actually are connected to the cycling industry in some way. Forums have good SEO and if you're, say, Garmin, it's not a bad thing to have a thread about how much sense a pedal-based power meter makes. And by the way, theirs are accurate, unlike those crappy Look pedal based power meters.
And that's where you're wrong. For one a powermeter can show you things you were actually doing wrong without you even noticing. Or as I said, some of us are a bit time crunched so we have to train in the most efficient way possible and the best way to do that is with a powermeter. There are lots of upsides to owning a powermeter and yet you seem reluctant to see them.
Old 01-08-15, 02:29 PM
ljsense

a powermeter can show you things you were actually doing wrong without you even noticing. Or as I said, some of us are a bit time crunched so we have to train in the most efficient way possible and the best way to do that is with a powermeter. There are lots of upsides to owning a powermeter and yet you seem reluctant to see them.
My eyes are wide open to any benefits of using a power meter. They tell you with what force and for what duration you turned the pedals.

A good training plan with hard intervals will help with training efficiency and limited hours. You don't need a power meter. There are a lot of ways to know you're doing the right work. And I think there is an unacknowledged risk that a power meter could actually skew training in the wrong direction. You might hold to the wrong numbers. It is not as if you will be guaranteed to train smart because you have this data. You need the ability to make sense of it, and if you or a coach really has this expertise to know what drives progress, they'll know how to get there with or without a digital screen.

How can a track runner get in top form? She has no power meter for her legs. And yet with structured training she will reach top form.
Old 01-08-15, 02:39 PM
chil2makefun

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My eyes are wide open to any benefits of using a power meter. They tell you with what force and for what duration you turned the pedals.

A good training plan with hard intervals will help with training efficiency and limited hours. You don't need a power meter. There are a lot of ways to know you're doing the right work. And I think there is an unacknowledged risk that a power meter could actually skew training in the wrong direction. You might hold to the wrong numbers. It is not as if you will be guaranteed to train smart because you have this data. You need the ability to make sense of it, and if you or a coach really has this expertise to know what drives progress, they'll know how to get there with or without a digital screen.

How can a track runner get in top form? She has no power meter for her legs. And yet with structured training she will reach top form.
And on what will you base your hard intervals? Heartrate? Cadance? Speed? These are al highly variable. Your heartrate may indicate that you're going to hard while your muscles aren't actually performing the workload they should. Besides the real hard intervals are nearly impossible to do precisely without a powermeter because of the lag between increase in pace and increase in heartrate. You were also talking about a coach... A coach will have a way harder time determining wether your plan works for you without a powermeter.
Old 01-08-15, 02:57 PM
ljsense

Your heartrate may indicate that you're going too hard while your muscles aren't actually performing the workload they should.
Sure, a power meter and HRM can give you that data, and the right response is to rest. It's a sign of overtraining. But there are a lot of other signals of over training that the body presents quite plainly with no capital costs. The problem with your example is that the numbers on the power meter might drive the user to respond exactly wrong. They see lower numbers than usual, it feels hard, so they really crank on it to get the data that they're used to, so they don't feel a sense of failure.

Besides the real hard intervals are nearly impossible to do precisely without a powermeter because of the lag between increase in pace and increase in heartrate.
How do you imagine that athletes in other sports successfully complete interval training? How did cyclists get into competitive form before computers? I think the benefit that power meters bring to interval training depends so much on expertise and is so marginal it is only relevant for very very elite cyclists.

You were also talking about a coach... A coach will have a way harder time determining wether your plan works for you without a powermeter.
I think for most cyclists, a coach has a very easy time confirming progress. I mean, for a lot of cyclists, a hill and a stopwatch would work fine.
Old 01-08-15, 03:10 PM
chil2makefun

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sure, a power meter and HRM can give you that data, and the right response is to rest. It's a sign of overtraining. But there are a lot of other signals of over training that the body presents quite plainly with no capital costs. The problem with your example is that the numbers on the power meter might drive the user to respond exactly wrong. They see lower numbers than usual, it feels hard, so they really crank on it to get the data that they're used to, so they don't feel a sense of failure.

How do you imagine that athletes in other sports successfully complete interval training? How did cyclists get into competitive form before computers? I think the benefit that power meters bring to interval training depends so much on expertise and is so marginal it is only relevant for very very elite cyclists.

I think for most cyclists, a coach has a very easy time confirming progress. I mean, for a lot of cyclists, a hill and a stopwatch would work fine.
1: Heartrate depends on way more factors than being overtrained or not. So you might just be in a very good form while your heartrate says otherwise.

2: Your references to other sports are irrelevant. If the tools are there, why not use them? Not using them simply because they didn't use them 30 years ago doesn't make sense.

3: Ever thought about the fact that a lot of people have a coach who only analyzes their data and makes new plans based on that? Not every one spends that much cash on a coach so he could actually be there on your training rides.

But you know what? I'm done trying to convince you. I can perfectly understand why you wouldn't want to use a powermeter. But the fact that you are simply denying that a powermeter has some serious benefits makes you very ingnorant and naive.
Old 01-08-15, 03:26 PM
ljsense

1: Heartrate depends on way more factors than being overtrained or not. So you might just be in a very good form while your heartrate says otherwise.
Wait, in the example you set up for me, you said the muscles weren't performing the workload they should (low power numbers) and the heart rate was too high. Now you're saying this is someone in very good form with a mysterious heart rate? All right. How is the power meter helping you here?

2: Your references to other sports are irrelevant. If the tools are there, why not use them? Not using them simply because they didn't use them 30 years ago doesn't make sense.
Citing the other sports was to demonstrate that top physical conditioning can be achieved without power measurements. Why not use a tool that's there? When it's not necessary.

3: Ever thought about the fact that a lot of people have a coach who only analyzes their data and makes new plans based on that? Not every one spends that much cash on a coach so he could actually be there on your training rides.
Right, skip spending $1K to $2K on a power meter, get a coach who rides with you instead. That's one option. Fun company, might actually learn about bike handing, how to descend, a bunch of other good stuff.

But you know what? I'm done trying to convince you. I can perfectly understand why you wouldn't want to use a powermeter. But the fact that you are simply denying that a powermeter has some serious benefits makes you very ingnorant and naive.
I'm open to debate; my opinion is based on my experience with measuring power and other metrics. I've tried it. It has some use. But I think it's pretty narrow. And I think that if you're just considering buying a power meter, it doesn't hurt to honestly reflect on whether that's a good choice. My advice would be to put your energy and money elsewhere.
Old 01-08-15, 03:42 PM
Wesley36

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Lol, that seems like the obvious and logical conclusion.
Old 01-08-15, 03:50 PM
Darth Steele

Bikes: 2013 SuperSix Ultegra

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
ljsense is hung up on the word "fun", which of course is a relative term. I say spend the money on a trip to the Dominican Republic, get some viagra and 2+ hot ******* and party like it's 1999...to me that is fun

As for the power meter, there is no argument on whether or not it maximizes your training efforts.
Old 01-08-15, 04:34 PM
ljsense

Originally Posted by Darth Steele
As for the power meter, there is no argument on whether or not it maximizes your training efforts.
You're exactly right in that there is no argument in this thread that a power meter maximizes training efforts. Not a single person has put forward their case study for how a power meter allowed them to achieve results they couldn't get without one. People just act like it's this fact. I'm here to say it's not.
Old 01-08-15, 05:22 PM
jtwilson

Bikes: CAAD10

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I vote for Vector S. I have the Vector and don't use any of the cycling dynamics stuff because I have an older Edge. My power balance is almost always 50/50 or close enough, so I might as well be on the Vector S.

I also greatly enjoy, and have an increased amount of "fun" cycling with a power meter. If I had to start all over from scratch, my first priority for a new bike would be a power meter. I would rather ride a $2,000 bike with a power meter than a $3,500 bike without one.
Old 01-08-15, 06:21 PM
RChung
Perceptual Dullard

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 919 Post(s)
Liked 1,153 Times in 492 Posts
You're exactly right in that there is no argument in this thread that a power meter maximizes training efforts. Not a single person has put forward their case study for how a power meter allowed them to achieve results they couldn't get without one. People just act like it's this fact. I'm here to say it's not.
Oh, that. I improved my watts/drag using a power meter. I also decreased my training time without any loss of power using a power meter (I had to -- I had changed jobs and moved to a new city and was forced to cut back my training time from around 10 hrs/wk down to a bit less than 6). Net effect was no loss in power for fewer hours of training time but faster.

[Edited to add] I'm not sure I could have done the drag reduction with something like the Vector S or the Stages.

Last edited by RChung; 01-08-15 at 06:29 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.