Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Show Your Vintage MTB Drop Bar Conversions

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Show Your Vintage MTB Drop Bar Conversions

Old 06-03-20, 02:54 PM
bOsscO
bOsscO

Bikes: 2024 Spec Crux, 2015 Norco Search S1, 93 Mongoose IBOC COMP

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 296 Post(s)
Liked 355 Times in 212 Posts
Originally Posted by wesmamyke
Mongoose IBOC, don't know the years super well. Mine has the loop tail stays like that, but no cutouts, and no stamping.

Edit again: Though early '90's, could actually be pretty late.
Cool thanks! We'll see what comes to light as I continue. If I can find a serial # maybe I can narrow down the age.
Old 06-03-20, 06:15 PM
wesmamyke

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 76 Posts
Originally Posted by bOsscO
Cool thanks! We'll see what comes to light as I continue. If I can find a serial # maybe I can narrow down the age.
The rest of the frame details can narrow it down too. What's the bottom bracket yoke look like?, head tube size, seat tube size etc.

Not sure if they made them late enough to have V-brake specific cable routing with no canti hanger, but that would be '97ish.
Old 06-04-20, 10:13 AM
bOsscO
bOsscO

The rest of the frame details can narrow it down too. What's the bottom bracket yoke look like?, head tube size, seat tube size etc.
Not sure if they made them late enough to have V-brake specific cable routing with no canti hanger, but that would be '97ish.
Right, ok. Some more pics;

Bottom bracket yoke

Seat post diameter is 26.8mm.

Original sticker on toptube says OMP

Canti hanger on rear

Rear brake bosses
Headtube diameter is 1.25''.
Likes For bOsscO:
Old 06-04-20, 03:30 PM
2cam16

Bikes: TRIMMED DOWN THE HERD

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1090 Post(s)
Liked 935 Times in 600 Posts
The "omp" probably leads to an IBOC COMP. Sounds like a good one!
Old 06-04-20, 07:19 PM
wesmamyke

Matches this '95 IBOC Comp: Mongoose IBOC Comp SX 1995 | Retrobike

I would be careful if stripping the paint that's left with anything harsh. Looks to have bonded main tubes.
Old 06-07-20, 04:57 PM
Niall Dublin

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 4 Posts
Cannondale M800, Continued

Took the plunge a couple of weeks ago and ordered parts from all over, which eventually all arrived. Spent yesterday putting things together, and went for an 80km shake-down spin today. Nothing rattled, and nothing fell off. Happy enough with how it turned out, I haven't decided what to do regarding rack or luggage, not settled on saddle or pedals, but I'll leave it as is for a while. It's pretty tall, due to the high bottom bracket on these bikes, approx 2" higher than normal. The brace between the chainstays wasn't drilled for a fender, so I ended up with a bit of a bodge, using a Daruma eyebolt and cable tie, if anyone has a better suggestion, let me know.
Nitto Threadless Adapter, Nitto Bars, Ergotec Stem, Gran Compe Friction Bar end Shifters, Cane Creek V Brake Levers, Berthoud Fenders, Compass Naches Pass Tyres.
Cheers, Niall.

M800 Before

M800 After

Last edited by Niall Dublin; 06-07-20 at 05:06 PM.
Likes For Niall Dublin:
Old 06-08-20, 09:48 AM
bOsscO
bOsscO

Matches this '95 IBOC Comp: Mongoose IBOC Comp SX 1995 | Retrobike

I would be careful if stripping the paint that's left with anything harsh. Looks to have bonded main tubes.
Cool thanks for the info on the IBOC model, and warning on paint removal. Rather than paint stripper would multiple steps of metal specific sandpaper be a safe alternative for this frame? I've seen a few videos of this starting with 400 grit, then 800, and 1500 to finish. https://www.3mcanada.ca/3M/en_CA/com...4529206&rt=rud
Old 06-08-20, 09:09 PM
wesmamyke

Cool thanks for the info on the IBOC model, and warning on paint removal. Rather than paint stripper would multiple steps of metal specific sandpaper be a safe alternative for this frame? I've seen a few videos of this starting with 400 grit, then 800, and 1500 to finish. https://www.3mcanada.ca/3M/en_CA/com...4529206&rt=rud
I would think doing it all by hand would be okay. Wet paint would probably be the way to go if you want to paint it.

Pretty sure I've seen a bonded frame on here that was powder coated and the person seems to be alive still. It just seems like a bad idea to attack decades old bonded joints with solvents and/or heat though.
Likes For wesmamyke:
Old 06-09-20, 04:46 AM
J.Higgins 
2-Wheeled Fool

Bikes: Surly Ogre, Brompton

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1385 Post(s)
Liked 677 Times in 457 Posts
I would think doing it all by hand would be okay. Wet paint would probably be the way to go if you want to paint it.

Pretty sure I've seen a bonded frame on here that was powder coated and the person seems to be alive still. It just seems like a bad idea to attack decades old bonded joints with solvents and/or heat though.
I've repainted composite and bonded frames with little more than wet-sanding and a coat of primer. as in this case however, a little more sanding will be required to remove the hideous respray coat. Laborious, surely, but it can be a soul-soothing exercise if you do it right. I sometimes take a frame and an assortment of abrasives and water out to my deck and sit there and enjoy the air while I merrily sand away the sins of the previous owner. Sun shining. Birds singing. Breezes blowing. Ahh!
Old 06-09-20, 10:06 AM
bOsscO
bOsscO

Awesome thanks, will start hand sanding with various grits.

Originally Posted by J.Higgins
I've repainted composite and bonded frames with little more than wet-sanding and a coat of primer. as in this case however, a little more sanding will be required to remove the hideous respray coat. Laborious, surely, but it can be a soul-soothing exercise if you do it right. I sometimes take a frame and an assortment of abrasives and water out to my deck and sit there and enjoy the air while I merrily sand away the sins of the previous owner. Sun shining. Birds singing. Breezes blowing. Ahh!
Right on. One reason I started this project is due to COVID-19 and all the extra time I have. Sure, our garden has never looked better and all the house projects we've been putting off are getting done, but this bike build is a good way to flex my mental muscle.
Likes For bOsscO:
Old 06-09-20, 01:25 PM
Voodoocurt

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 5 Posts
Not MY conversion but the one owner before me... I’m not sure I like it yet, I’ve got some fiddling to do with it to get it just right but always wanted a 90’s Stumpy, and I think this is a ‘90 or ‘91. I added a vintage Blackburn rack for a bag for the family, and I love those Sim Works/Panaracer Homage tires. Got it cheap too.... it also came with ALL the original components.

Voo

Likes For Voodoocurt:
Old 06-09-20, 02:27 PM
bOsscO
bOsscO

Originally Posted by Voodoocurt
Not MY conversion but the one owner before me... I’m not sure I like it yet, I’ve got some fiddling to do with it to get it just right but always wanted a 90’s Stumpy, and I think this is a ‘90 or ‘91. I added a vintage Blackburn rack for a bag for the family, and I love those Sim Works/Panaracer Homage tires. Got it cheap too.... it also came with ALL the original components.

Voo

Wow it looks as good as the day it hit the LBS sales floor!
Old 06-10-20, 12:06 PM
Voodoocurt

Wow it looks as good as the day it hit the LBS sales floor!
Ha, Thanks! It is pristine...I bought this one and an '88 Hard Rock for 200$. I picked them up and was shocked for the price. They are pristine... I only found one or two spots that are chipped. No dents, dings, nothing...a scratch here and there that buffed out but other than that they are both in pristine condition. Here is the SS '88 Hard Rock...it is a rocket.

I will probably change out the drop bars back to a MTB setup for the Stumpy... or maybe just raise them up some, not in love with the setup...not real comfortable to me.

Likes For Voodoocurt:
Old 06-10-20, 09:06 PM
thumpism 
Bikes are okay, I guess.

Bikes: Waterford Paramount Touring, Giant CFM-2, Raleigh Sports 3-speeds in M23 & L23, Schwinn Cimarron oddball build, Marin Palisades Trail dropbar conversion, Nishiki Cresta GT

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 2647 Post(s)
Liked 2,446 Times in 1,557 Posts
Can't believe you didn't use the hanger tube built into the stem! Think of all the weight you could save; front hanger, nut and bolt and all that extra housing.
Here is the SS '88 Hard Rock...it is a rocket.
Old 06-11-20, 09:54 AM
Voodoocurt

Originally Posted by thumpism
Can't believe you didn't use the hanger tube built into the stem! Think of all the weight you could save; front hanger, nut and bolt and all that extra housing.
Ha! Yeah, this is the way I bought it off FB...I'll be re-routing and using it very soon.
Old 06-11-20, 10:14 AM
rmplum

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 9 Posts
Huron River Drive is gravel (for a few days at least). So nice!

Likes For rmplum:
Old 06-11-20, 03:35 PM
jlaw

Bikes: 2015 Spec. AWOL Elite,2022 Spec. Diverge, 1984 Trek 620 1985 Trek 620, 1979 Trek 710

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 194 Times in 110 Posts
Originally Posted by rmplum
Huron River Drive is gravel (for a few days at least). So nice!

I've seen the Sling Shots many times - how do they actually ride? Do you ever notice that the down tube is missing?

Interesting bike.
Old 06-16-20, 04:21 PM
BCATC

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
Stupid question and I'm probably overthinking it:

I feel like I need additional reach and I'm close to maxing out the height of my stem. Does the minimal insertion line need to be below the top bearings of the headset or the top of the headtube? Or is it just a simple matter of, as long as you don't see the minimal insertion line then you're fine?
Old 06-16-20, 07:04 PM
RichSPK

Bikes: Dawes Lightning DLX, 1988 Klein Performance, 1991 Peugeot Safari, 1985 Raleigh Alyeska, Carrera Phantom, 1973 Raleigh Record

Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 92 Posts
Originally Posted by BCATC
Stupid question and I'm probably overthinking it:

I feel like I need additional reach and I'm close to maxing out the height of my stem. Does the minimal insertion line need to be below the top bearings of the headset or the top of the headtube? Or is it just a simple matter of, as long as you don't see the minimal insertion line then you're fine?
As long as you don't see it, you're fine. I don't mean cover it with electrical tape, though!

You might want to try a stem that extends farther forward, too.
Old 06-16-20, 11:30 PM
ravenix 
Enthusiast

Bikes: ‘83 Trek 720, ‘85 Schwann Voyageur SP, ‘97 Ibis hakkalugi, '80's Haro

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 16 Posts

Haro
My old 80's Haro converted into a 3x1 speed. Perfect for cruising the trails around town....
Old 06-16-20, 11:46 PM
The_Joe

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 25 Posts
My Marin project in almost it's final form. Set up as a 1x7. Carried me along a comfortable 25 miles for her inaugural ride this past weekend.
Likes For The_Joe:
Old 06-17-20, 06:52 AM
rmplum

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by jlaw
I've seen the Sling Shots many times - how do they actually ride? Do you ever notice that the down tube is missing?

Interesting bike.
To me they ride like very lively steel bikes - but heavier than the super lightweight, whippy stuff. It's not weird or super alien or anything - and it's certainly not "mid suspension" of any meaningful type. I've owned many and find them to be a lot of fun. It's perfect for how I have it setup now and I ride it off road somewhat frequently still.
Old 06-17-20, 03:13 PM
ravenix 
Enthusiast

Bikes: ‘83 Trek 720, ‘85 Schwann Voyageur SP, ‘97 Ibis hakkalugi, '80's Haro

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 16 Posts

Haro Front View
Old 06-19-20, 08:22 AM
RichSPK

Bikes: Dawes Lightning DLX, 1988 Klein Performance, 1991 Peugeot Safari, 1985 Raleigh Alyeska, Carrera Phantom, 1973 Raleigh Record

Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 92 Posts
Originally Posted by ravenix

Haro
My old 80's Haro converted into a 3x1 speed. Perfect for cruising the trails around town....
That rack looks like such a good match for the frame!
Old 06-19-20, 12:38 PM
Squeeze
High Plains Luddite

Bikes: 3x8 & 3x9

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 54 Posts
Ha, Thanks! It is pristine...I bought this one and an '88 Hard Rock for 200$. I picked them up and was shocked for the price. They are pristine... I only found one or two spots that are chipped. No dents, dings, nothing...a scratch here and there that buffed out but other than that they are both in pristine condition. Here is the SS '88 Hard Rock...it is a rocket.

I will probably change out the drop bars back to a MTB setup for the Stumpy... or maybe just raise them up some, not in love with the setup...not real comfortable to me.

That looks great!

Does anyone know if those late '80s Specialized MTB have a wide enough frame to take a modern 8/9/10-speed rear wheel? I saw a twin of that one (same size and color) on craigslist recently that tempted me but it had a 6-speed rear wheel and I figured I just wouldn't bother with it for that reason alone.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.