Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Whatcha think of Simworks (Panaracer) Volummy tires?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-20, 12:07 PM
unworthy1
Stop reading my posts!

Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1444 Post(s)
Liked 1,065 Times in 789 Posts

First off: who names these things? I guess all the sensible names are copyrighted, so...Volummy?
That aside, someone gave me one (used but still looks like it has life left) in 700C x 28. These are "tubeless compatible" but I would use a tube. PO likes them but gets tires under deep "Pro Deal" discounts so is very "flighty" in his tastes and ignores retail prices. They are pretty high-zoot for my wallet (list for $60 or so each)...do folks here think they are worth it, and for what conditions?
Old 12-13-20, 12:43 PM
gomango

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Quoted: 821 Post(s)
Liked 257 Times in 142 Posts
Nice tires, but a little spendy for what you get.

I rode a set on my Stigmata, which I recently sold,

I used the 700x38's when I didn't run the 650b wheelset, but I ran them tubeless.

If you do that, I would look closely at this article.

https://sim-works.com/en/news/safety...ility-concerns

However, I often saw better deals on Gravel Kings which are a solid choice for the $$.

Once I start paying $60 per tire, I additionally would look at RH.

Until then, GK's are likely a better value than the Simworks Volummy and Homage tires. imho
Likes For gomango:
Old 12-13-20, 05:53 PM
unworthy1
Stop reading my posts!

Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Quoted: 1444 Post(s)
Liked 1,065 Times in 789 Posts
Thanks for the review gomango, and RH = Rene Herse? I doubt I would start spending those $$ on clincher tires but was thinking of whether getting ONE Volummy to make a matched pair is worthwhile. Maybe will bide my time.
Old 12-13-20, 07:49 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4560 Post(s)
Liked 2,803 Times in 1,801 Posts
Check out Soma tires too. I think those are made by Panaracer. I got a couple of sets of Soma Supple Vitesse SLs this summer and they're terrific. Lightweight, durable, excellent all around. I got the 700x23 because they were on sale dirt cheap during the summer, something like $14. But it hooked me enough that I'd consider paying full price for the larger tires. I run 'em with butyl or latex tubes, not tubeless -- I don't think the Soma skinwalls are tubeless ready.
Likes For canklecat:
Old 12-14-20, 06:17 AM
Voodoocurt

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 5 Posts
A set came on a ‘90 Stumpy that I came across on FB marketplace. The tires alone were worth more than I paid for the bike. All in all, not bad. Good on pavement, fast roll, but loud. Great on gravel. Stick to the ground and I don’t feel like they’re going out from under me. Normally wouldn’t have bought them on my own but they are great for the dirt roads that I ride on. I’ll keep them until I’m bored and want to change them. Stupid name, yeah...but they are nice tires.