Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fatbikes
Reload this Page >

Great riding conditions !

Search
Notices
Fatbikes Designed for use in sand, mud or snow, Fat bikes are the right choice for true all-terrain riding. Check here for the latest on these fun, adventurous two-wheeled machines.

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-21, 01:14 PM
ZIPP2001
Life Is Good

Bikes: Zipp2001 Carbon Belt Drive SS, Kestrel RT900SL, Kestrel KM40 Airfoil 1x10, Orbea Occam H30, Trek Stache 5 29 Plus, Giant Yukon 2 Fat Bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked 870 Times in 443 Posts

I'm hoping everyone is getting in some fun miles on your Fat bikes this winter. The Fat bike riding conditions have been great this winter in my area, and I've been able to take advantage of some great trails. This year I haven't run into any other Fat bike riders unlike past years which is a little disappointing. I will say the snowmobiles have been out in full force this year and that's great to see them having a great winter also. This region is huge for snowmobiles and the trails are groomed by the local snowmobile club. The only comments I ever get from the snowmobile riders is you have a motor on the bike right. I always let them know I have a two cylinder motor that works just fine. Let's hope we can keep these conditions rolling a little longer, stay safe everyone.

Last edited by ZIPP2001; 02-14-21 at 06:00 PM.
Likes For ZIPP2001:
Old 02-14-21, 01:46 PM
Rage
Space Ghost

Bikes: Bridgestone, Fuji, Iro, Jamis, Gary Fisher, GT, Scott, Specialized and more

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked 412 Times in 318 Posts
Less than favorable conditions for even fat bikes here. We had heavy snowfall followed by rain and freezing temps which contributed to an icy crust on top of all the snow.
Likes For Rage:
Old 02-14-21, 02:59 PM
No Mojo

Bikes: Emonda SL7

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 12 Posts

The trails here in New Hampshire are the best I've ever seen!
Likes For No Mojo:
Old 02-14-21, 05:54 PM
ZIPP2001
Life Is Good

Bikes: Zipp2001 Carbon Belt Drive SS, Kestrel RT900SL, Kestrel KM40 Airfoil 1x10, Orbea Occam H30, Trek Stache 5 29 Plus, Giant Yukon 2 Fat Bike

Originally Posted by Rage
Less than favorable conditions for even fat bikes here. We had heavy snowfall followed by rain and freezing temps which contributed to an icy crust on top of all the snow.
We have been lucky so far this year to stay away from the freezing rain. Last year It was more of a skating rink in most places. Studded tires do help but I do much prefer this winter over last.
Old 02-14-21, 05:56 PM
ZIPP2001
Life Is Good

Originally Posted by No Mojo

The trails here in New Hampshire are the best I've ever seen!
Where in Southern NH ? This is a great year for us also.
Old 02-14-21, 06:43 PM
No Mojo

Bikes: Emonda SL7

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by ZIPP2001
Where in Southern NH ? This is a great year for us also.
I'm in Manchester and took this picture in Auburn at the FOMBA trail system.
Likes For No Mojo:
Old 02-16-21, 09:21 AM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2975 Post(s)
Liked 1,180 Times in 770 Posts
Kind of dumb idea to be riding on the snowmobile trails. Wow. Like riding in the middle of the street.

You may want to check local laws...Fat bikes are usually prohibited from riding on snowmobile trails.

Last edited by prj71; 02-16-21 at 09:25 AM.
Old 02-16-21, 06:36 PM
ZIPP2001
Life Is Good

Originally Posted by prj71
Kind of dumb idea to be riding on the snowmobile trails. Wow. Like riding in the middle of the street.

You may want to check local laws...Fat bikes are usually prohibited from riding on snowmobile trails.
Coming from 40 years of road riding it's much safer, and the park rangers have seen me out here for years with no issue. You'll see cross country skiers using the same trails. Besides I've been coming out here for seven years and have never had a dangerous encounter with a snowmobile so I'll keep playing in my playground.

Last edited by ZIPP2001; 02-16-21 at 07:50 PM.
Old 02-16-21, 09:23 PM
tilsover

Bikes: 2019 KHS 1000; 1990 (or so) Trek 930

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 73 Times in 28 Posts
Here in northern MN the trails are great, too. We've just finished a 10 day stretch where the temps never reached zero. Trails are frozen hard and fun riding. I ride the snow covered gravel roads, dedicated fat bike/snowshoe trails, unplowed forest roads (snowmobile packed), official and unofficial snowmobile trails (no problem), and my own short course of homegroomed trails. Gotta' love it. Good riding!

Likes For tilsover:
Old 02-17-21, 02:19 PM
tilsover

Most of the trails I ride are traveled by local wildlife. Deer, mostly, and it's common to see them. After a snowfall fox tracks and occasional wolf tracks are found on the packed trails. Today I rode through an area where I found six snow roosts in the deep snow alongside the trail. The ruffed grouse that occupied them were gone but still neat stuff to see. Good riding!

Likes For tilsover:
Old 02-22-21, 12:33 PM
Marylander

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 95 Times in 70 Posts
I live in the Mid-Atlantic and am wondering if the kind of conditions you find on MUPs now would be suited to fat bikes. We get the snow, slush, freezing rain, and temps above then below freezing. So, the paths get crusty, chunky, slushy, etc. I live just a mile from the C&O and would love to get out on a bike now but I already know my 2" mtb tires do not cut it.
Old 02-22-21, 12:45 PM
Walkerportis

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I live in Nova Scotia and really need one of these bikes.
Old 02-22-21, 01:28 PM
prj71

Originally Posted by tilsover
Here in northern MN the trails are great, too. We've just finished a 10 day stretch where the temps never reached zero. Trails are frozen hard and fun riding. I ride the snow covered gravel roads, dedicated fat bike/snowshoe trails, unplowed forest roads (snowmobile packed), official and unofficial snowmobile trails (no problem), and my own short course of homegroomed trails. Gotta' love it. Good riding!
Better read the rules...

Groomed snowmobile and ski trails may look appealing as you're scouting areas to ride, but most of these trails are not open to other uses due to safety concerns and the fact their grooming costs are paid through user fees. Please be thoughtful and courteous as you seek out places to enjoy winter fat biking.

Fat biking is not allowed on:
  • Most snowmobile trails, including the grant-in-aid (GIA) trail system. As a general rule for everyone's safety, please avoid fat biking on any snowmobile trail.
https://www.dnr.state.mn.us/fatbike/index.html

IT really is stupid to be riding a fat bike on snowmobile trails when they are open.
Old 02-22-21, 06:08 PM
tilsover

Better read the rules...

Groomed snowmobile and ski trails may look appealing as you're scouting areas to ride, but most of these trails are not open to other uses due to safety concerns and the fact their grooming costs are paid through user fees. Please be thoughtful and courteous as you seek out places to enjoy winter fat biking.

Fat biking is not allowed on:
  • Most snowmobile trails, including the grant-in-aid (GIA) trail system. As a general rule for everyone's safety, please avoid fat biking on any snowmobile trail.
https://www.dnr.state.mn.us/fatbike/index.html

IT really is stupid to be riding a fat bike on snowmobile trails when they are open.
Took awhile but that's some good police work. However, within 5 miles of my home the state snowmobile trail joins a public Forest Service road at two intersects to avoid private land and a river before turning back into the woods. The road is shared by many including skiers and hikers, and well as several local sled dog trainers. I've never seen another fat bike on it, though I've spotted a few tracks. Sometimes it's plowed for logging truck traffic. It's not plowed this winter but a few local motorheads see how far they can make it in their jacked-up 4WD trucks. Those sections are snowmobile trails but also pubic access and if it's unlawful to ride there it's not posted nor enforced, and it's no secret to anyone. If it bothers you tell the DNR, or Forest Service, or Sheriff, but not me. Speaking of rules, have you ever driven your automobile over the posted speed limit?

Two more rules: Don't call people stupid while hiding behind an avatar. 2- Watch your own fk'n bobber!
Old 02-23-21, 08:32 AM
prj71

The police work took about 30 seconds.

I have no problem calling a spade a spade.
Old 02-28-21, 08:50 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2761 Post(s)
Liked 2,534 Times in 1,433 Posts

Not around here they are not. At least not on public land.

In some cases, the snowmobile trails are about the only thing that IS ridable on a fat bike.

But yeah, at certain times it seems like road riding. But at least you can hear them from a ways off.

Last edited by Kapusta; 02-28-21 at 08:54 AM.
Old 02-28-21, 08:57 PM
jim_pridx

Bikes: 2010 Bob Brown Cycles tandem, 2019 Co-Mo Carrera tandem, 1980 Richardson tandem, 2014 Cervelo R3, 2018 Specialized Roubaix, 1985 Bianchi Campione, 1983 Trek 720, 2020 Trek Fuel EX8, 2021 Salsa Mukluk

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 70 Posts
The conditions around central WI have been pretty decent for most of the winter until the latest thaw. I'm hoping to get out tomorrow, but we'll see what the trails look like in the morning. Beyond that, temps will be approaching 40F or more, so it's not looking good.
Old 03-01-21, 12:36 AM
Happy Feet

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2236 Post(s)
Liked 1,314 Times in 707 Posts
I did these two rides in the same day yesterday, about 30 minutes drive apart.

Likes For Happy Feet:
Old 03-01-21, 08:24 AM
prj71

Originally Posted by Kapusta
Not around here they are not. At least not on public land.

In some cases, the snowmobile trails are about the only thing that IS ridable on a fat bike.

But yeah, at certain times it seems like road riding. But at least you can hear them from a ways off.
Yeah. Illegal in WI and MN both on the public land sections of trail and the private land sections of trail.

They fly down the trails. Like I said, not very smart to be riding a Fat Bike on the snowmobile trails when they are open. I'll ride them myself, but only after they have closed.
Old 03-01-21, 11:24 AM
tilsover

Yeah. Illegal in WI and MN both on the public land sections of trail and the private land sections of trail.

They fly down the trails. Like I said, not very smart to be riding a Fat Bike on the snowmobile trails when they are open. I'll ride them myself, but only after they have closed.
As you earlier pointed out, the rule states MOST trails, not all. We obviously ride different areas. So far this winter while riding my bike I've seen a grand total of 2 snowmobiles. One was coming down a powerline right-of-way that I also sometimes ride, and the other was on a state trail that parallels to join and cross the forest road I was riding. I didn't come close to running over either of them so it wasn't as dangerous as imagination might make it seem. I've also shared trails with some skiers and a pack of six ATV's, local folks whom I know, and some other bikes. Trailside chat sessions. Otherwise I've been solo and I ride at least 4 times per week. I don't know, or care, where you ride but it must be a lot busier than where I ride.

Also, apologizes to all for chasing this thread so far off-track. Last two days reached above freezing and softened the snow, but this morning I woke to 5-below zero so trails will be firmed up. Waiting for it to warm up a bit then I'll be out on my bike. Good riding!
Old 03-01-21, 02:32 PM
Happy Feet

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2236 Post(s)
Liked 1,314 Times in 707 Posts
Similarly, in my region there aren't any real snowmobile courses, just places where they, and atvs and anyone else who wants to, go. People are friendly out in the woods because it's wilderness and more likely to stop and ask if you're OK rather than mow you down.

On an international forum it's pretty hard to generalize about "rules".
Likes For Happy Feet:
Old 03-02-21, 08:51 AM
prj71

Originally Posted by tilsover
So far this winter while riding my bike I've seen a grand total of 2 snowmobiles. One was coming down a powerline right-of-way that I also sometimes ride, and the other was on a state trail that parallels to join and cross the forest road I was riding. I didn't come close to running over either of them so it wasn't as dangerous as imagination might make it seem.
It's usually the other way around. You have to worry about them running you over.

Snowmobiling is big in WI. Trails are busy.