Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Minimal method for bringing laptop on commute

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-21, 02:47 PM
scottfsmith
I like bike

Bikes: Roubaix Comp 2020

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Liked 283 Times in 191 Posts

I am a long time bike commuter. First I had a dedicated commuter bike (Bridgestone XO-1) then I switched to a race bike for commuting (Lemond Zurich). On the Bridgestone I had a rear rack and I would just bungee my goodies on there. For the Lemond I used a backpack and then a messenger bag. I now have another race-type bike, a Specialized Roubaix, which I can also use the messenger bag on.

But, I'm not super thrilled with having something on my back, especially in hot weather. It was a whole lot more fun with the bag bungeed down in back, but I don't want to put a rear rack on my race bike. I was wondering if there was any super minimal kind of frame bag or any other idea. All I really have to bring is my laptop so I don't need much room at all.

I looked and there are some frame/carry bags like these:

https://gripunlimitedbags.com/shop/c...ter-case-grey/

but not sure how functional they would be. I might also look around for a smaller messenger type bag which would just barely fit a laptop.
Old 03-01-21, 03:43 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,105 Times in 1,369 Posts
You made me remember the Tailfin rack. Last I checked in it was only a Kickstarter but it's grown up to be a legit product line now.
https://www.tailfin.cc/

How big a laptop? My work laptop weighs about 3kg and is fragile as an egg, my wife's is maybe a third of that with a plastic chassis and seems impervious.
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 03-01-21, 03:48 PM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2604 Post(s)
Liked 1,926 Times in 1,209 Posts
It's hard to get more portable than a thumb drive. Get a couple, one for backup.
Old 03-01-21, 04:27 PM
scottfsmith
I like bike

Originally Posted by Darth Lefty
You made me remember the Tailfin rack. Last I checked in it was only a Kickstarter but it's grown up to be a legit product line now.
https://www.tailfin.cc/
Wow, that is impressive! I don't have any rear mounting eyelets so assumed I could not mount a tail rack, but they have an axle mount system where you replace your tire axle with their special axle. You can pop it off and on with ease which is a big advantage for me. That is exactly the kind of idea I was looking for, thanks! The only downside I see is price.

How big a laptop? My work laptop weighs about 3kg and is fragile as an egg, my wife's is maybe a third of that with a plastic chassis and seems impervious.
Right now I have a MacBook 15", 2kg/4lbs. They are pretty durable but I would still pack it in bubblewrap to minimize shock.

One reason why I am chewing on this now even though I am WFH is my 15-er laptop is on the fritz and if I was to use an in-frame bag I would need a 13-er so I would downsize. With a rear rack I could keep my 15-er.
Old 03-01-21, 06:38 PM
Toespeas

Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 41 Posts
really depends on how much protection you want , you could easily get a draw string bag and clip it across your chest with an old dog collar , its basically just a nylon bag with draw string of paracord straps , mostly for light gym clothes , i use this system when i bike in the night to carry by combat knife in a rapid deployment position on my back , in case any coyotes want to try to attack me , they been acting weird lately but its really easy to make one or find one and the clip keeps it nice and tight , it also depends on the size , i had run a amazon 10 dollar 10l bag and super glued the strap with some gorilla tape after it broke a few times and that carried 4l of water flat kits and snacks to many races , there are tons of cheap and easy military styled day bags on amazon , if you want the one strap or two strap , there are too many to even list , i just search military day bag or 10 liter bag , i have nice now it would fit a 13 inch maybe , my national guard style pack used to be the best until it ripped i could fit my laptop xbox and mini monitor to play games at the library when i didn't have internet , the amount of options available right now is crazy , you could even just go to walmart and buy a kids bag , im all about cheap and easy , they have some 8l bags for over 100 bucks , just gotta look around and find something you think will work
Old 03-02-21, 08:46 AM
scottfsmith
I like bike

.. I didn't see how I could improve on the Tailfins (other than the price) so I ordered them. I had ruled out a rear rack since I would have to be taking it on and off regularly, something truly painful with the standard rear rack. They say these will come on and off in 10 seconds; if they take a minute I will be happy. The side bags hold up to a 17" laptop so I will use one side bag for my commute. They say the top bag can fit a 13" laptop.

I am really looking forward to some unburdened commutes! The back bag always really bothered me, made worse by back problems.
Old 03-02-21, 09:15 AM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 1,677 Times in 827 Posts
scottfsmith The best shock mount for a laptop is your body. I know you said you didn't like to ride with anything on your back, but on the days I commuted on my rack-less road bike I wore my backpack with the straps long so that the bag rested on the small of my back and away from my shoulders and mid-back. It was more secure that you would think. And when stopped at a light and scootched forward off the seat to stand, the bag would rest on the seat.

Even when I had my bike with the rear rack I'd put the laptop in a backpack and wear it.

My older MTB-based commuter has a rear rack and Wald folding baskets. When riding that bike I'd but the laptop in a padded pouch in the rear basket (and a bungee over the top).

If you were going to use a removable rack like the Tailfin, I'd use a pannier for the laptop so that the vertical shocks of the road are absorbed by the bag, rather than being transmitted to a laptop laying on top of the rack.

Regarding a thumb drive...there are ways to put Windows, Linux or Mac operating systems on a thumb drive or solid state external drive and boot off them. In essence your 'computer' with all your settings and programs can be 'hooked' up to a host computer, but in essence it's your computer. There are some limitations and speed penalties, though.

Also remote desktop operation is remarkably good these days. I did video editing on the office computer from home which was a little tough at first, but only got better over the years.

I know many companies have security concerns and policies that make OS on USB and remote desktop impossible, so that may not work for you.

One last thought... what about a carradice backpack rack?

https://www.perennialcycle.com/carra...oaAtTzEALw_wcB
Old 03-02-21, 09:34 AM
scottfsmith
I like bike

Thats true, I could boot off an external solid state disk. But then I have a disk hanging off my computer forever. I tried various synchronization options over the years and pretty much gave up. What I need is a laptop with an "internal disk eject" button :-)

I commuted for years as you mention, with the low hanging backpack. But before that I had it strapped to the rear rack and that felt much better. I never had any problems with my laptop in a padded bag.

These Tailfins I can use for a whole bunch of things beyond commuting, my wife can use them for grocery runs and they will be used on day bike trips. So I could choke down the price with all the things they can hopefully do for me.
Old 03-02-21, 01:36 PM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 4337 Post(s)
Liked 2,980 Times in 1,617 Posts

I hated carrying this in my backpack. I resisted racks for a long time but this really was the answer... clothes in the backpack, laptop in the pannier.
Old 03-02-21, 09:35 PM
Gresp15C

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
Another option is a mini desktop, and keep a keyboard, mouse, and display at each location. I bought a couple Lenovo ThinkCentre PC's that are about the size of a large paperback and have no moving parts. Mac Mini is similar if you're of that persuasion. Fortunately nothing I do requires exceptional computing power.
Old 03-03-21, 12:10 AM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,105 Times in 1,369 Posts
Lol, I think Tailfin owes me a beer
Genesis 49:16-17
Likes For Darth Lefty:
Old 03-03-21, 09:26 AM
scottfsmith
I like bike

Hey at their prices I think they can afford a 6-pack.

I did a weight calculation, it looks like the Tailfin commute setup will weigh 2lbs, laptop is 4lbs, so 6lbs of extra weight. That shouldn't slow me down too much.