Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

What Else Did You Just Buy For Your Bike? Thread Thread Thread..... Thread

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

What Else Did You Just Buy For Your Bike? Thread Thread Thread..... Thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-21, 09:18 AM
Mikefule

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked 115 Times in 78 Posts
Just bought and fitted a pair of Meet Lock pinned platform pedals for my gravel bike. I bought some for the fixed a few months ago and have been very pleased with them. Light, smart, and very grippy.
Old 03-28-21, 02:38 PM
PIFFLE

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 75 Times in 24 Posts
Originally Posted by BikeEthics
I just purchased new chains as the price was great on Amazon. Does anyone have any experience with the below?

Izumi Jet Black Single Speed Chain 1/8" Black/Silver 116L

BikeEthics Izumi Jet Black is very nice, got the exact chain from Amazon in December to replace SRAM PC1.

Would agree with other reviewers on being a bit loud but I am assiduous about keeping the chain lubed (Phil's Tenacious) which helps with noise.

Would say too Jet Black was louder out of the box than than PC1 out of the box but in my observation the Jet Black goes silent at speed so all the more reason to get going, eh?
Likes For PIFFLE:
Old 03-28-21, 08:35 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4343 Post(s)
Liked 3,978 Times in 2,659 Posts
If y'all are desperate to not leave your house you could still support a brick and mortar shop for chains and other things: https://www.retro-gression.com/collections/chains

Jeff Bezos is literally the richest man in the world, he does not need your money and his employees don't see much of the money so you aren't doing anything good by supporting his company. Scrodzilla is a small business owner with a good global reach and actually gives a crap about the single speed and fixed gear community and cycling in general and also they like good music.

If not Retro you have other like Soma Fab: https://www.somafabshop.com/shop/cat...ernal-gear-746
Or there is the hip and cool MashSF: https://shop.mashsf.com/components/drivetrains/
Even CityGrounds is a better company to support than Amazon: https://www.citygrounds.com/collecti...e-speed-chains

Think about your choices, that little you save doesn't really give you much and only seeks to make a multi billionaire even richer. Go down to your local shop and patronize them, they will be happy to see you and want to help you out.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 03-29-21, 08:13 AM
StirFry

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 11 Posts
Thanks to Auction Sniper, I was able to grab some Ritchey Streem II's off ebay last night. AFAIK, these are the only flat top bars available that offer a shallow drop @ 126mm, but still have a traditional bend to them as well

Old 03-29-21, 09:04 AM
BikeEthics
Bike Ethically

Bikes: Fixed Gear, MTB

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by PIFFLE
BikeEthics Izumi Jet Black is very nice, got the exact chain from Amazon in December to replace SRAM PC1.

Would agree with other reviewers on being a bit loud but I am assiduous about keeping the chain lubed (Phil's Tenacious) which helps with noise.

Would say too Jet Black was louder out of the box than than PC1 out of the box but in my observation the Jet Black goes silent at speed so all the more reason to get going, eh?
Thanks man. I better start riding fast then. But I do tend to keep my chains well lubed all the time.
Old 03-29-21, 04:45 PM
bykemike 

Bikes: 2017 BMC Roadmachine 01 Enve wheels, Sram red etap,Cinelli Vigorelli single speed, 2009 Cannondale Capo, 2016 trek Domane 6.9, disc and Di2, 2016 Scott Scale 710, 27.5 plus tires and boost rims

Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked 203 Times in 81 Posts
I'm looking at some Halo freewheels...anyone use them? I have Whites on my bikes now but Halo's are $25 bucks less and maybe lighter, I can always use more gearing choices.

Last edited by bykemike; 03-29-21 at 04:50 PM.
Old 03-29-21, 06:55 PM
StirFry

Originally Posted by bykemike
I'm looking at some Halo freewheels...anyone use them? I have Whites on my bikes now but Halo's are $25 bucks less and maybe lighter, I can always use more gearing choices.
I love my clickster. WI's are always going to be king of the hill, but halo's are a very close second when it comes to sound and feel imo
Old 04-03-21, 08:04 AM
Lazyass

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 2432 Post(s)
Liked 638 Times in 395 Posts
Originally Posted by StirFry
I love my clickster. WI's are always going to be king of the hill, but halo's are a very close second when it comes to sound and feel imo
Look at the Wabi Deluxe. I have one and I also have a WI on another bike. The Wabi is honestly just as good, even sounds the same. The pic on their website isn't great but in person you can see it's a really quality piece.

https://wabicycles.com/collections/b...luxe-freewheel
Likes For Lazyass:
Old 04-03-21, 08:11 AM
StirFry

Originally Posted by Lazyass
Look at the Wabi Deluxe. I have one and I also have a WI on another bike. The Wabi is honestly just as good, even sounds the same. The pic on their website isn't great but in person you can see it's a really quality piece.

https://wabicycles.com/collections/b...luxe-freewheel

Is it serviceable? Weather sealed? I doesn't say how many engagement points they have either. There's plenty of great ones out there, but at the end of the day, WI's always be the gold standard of freewheels imo. I also say this as someone that has but is not currently running one at the moment either.
Old 04-03-21, 08:46 AM
Lazyass

Originally Posted by StirFry
Is it serviceable? Weather sealed? I doesn't say how many engagement points they have either. There's plenty of great ones out there, but at the end of the day, WI's always be the gold standard of freewheels imo. I also say this as someone that has but is not currently running one at the moment either.
Yes it's sealed and serviceable.

With 3 different pairs of pawls to engage...
Likes For Lazyass:
Old 04-03-21, 07:46 PM
Oldsledz

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked 185 Times in 80 Posts
I bought these tires and rims at a yard sale last fall. Can they be used with rim brakes? Are they tubular or clincher? I don't see a size on them but think they are 62 inch. thank you for any help you can give me. I have never had a fixed gear or single speed bike.

Old 04-04-21, 07:24 AM
1incpa

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Oldsledz
I bought these tires and rims at a yard sale last fall. Can they be used with rim brakes? Are they tubular or clincher? I don't see a size on them but think they are 62 inch. thank you for any help you can give me. I have never had a fixed gear or single speed bike.
I think I have the same rims on a wheelset I use for track racing. Mine are tubular and don't have a braking surface.
Try peeling a flat tire off the rim. If you can see the inner tube, it's a clincher. A tubular is glued to the rim, so if it's a tubular, it'll probably be difficult to get off.

Paul
Old 04-27-21, 04:57 AM
toyotus

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Campagnolo Delta brakes
Old 05-03-21, 12:32 PM
Fulltime1wd
Vintage aged

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 11 Posts
Oil-slick valve caps to match the oil-slick singlespeed KMC chain. When your bike looks good, you feel good.
Old 05-03-21, 01:02 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3587 Post(s)
Liked 3,398 Times in 1,932 Posts
Originally Posted by Oldsledz
The Araya Aero-2 is a tubular rim, one of the early aero-profile designs. AFAIK, they were only available in 700C diameter. They don't have a machined brake track like modern rims, but should be fine with rim brakes. It's only relatively recently that any rims had machined brake tracks.

VeloBase.com - Component: Araya Aero 2 (ADX-2)

Last edited by JohnDThompson; 05-03-21 at 01:05 PM.
Old 05-07-21, 04:45 PM
ethet 
Catastrophe Merchant

Bikes: Keirin and a Steamroller

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 58 Posts
Keirin bottom bracket tools

Just received these tools designed for servicing the NDS of a Sugino 75 or Hatta R9400 bb...

Now with seven keirin frames in rotation—each one with either a Sugino 75 or Hatta R9400 bottom bracket installed or waiting to have one installed—having dedicated tools to service them is a godsend (these two complement a Sugino drive-side bb tool which I already have and am devoted to).

Edit: The war-wounds on that lockring are a perfect exemplar of why this tool will become so beneficial for me

Last edited by ethet; 05-07-21 at 05:05 PM.
Likes For ethet:
Old 05-07-21, 07:10 PM
ofajen
Cheerfully low end

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 645 Post(s)
Liked 1,044 Times in 667 Posts
I scored a couple more Continental Contact Speed 26x2.0 tires. They don’t really get imported much into the US, so when I find them for a reasonable price, I grab them.

The RockHopper is running them front and rear now, since it’s warmer and things dry out between rains. I was able to retire a well worn Compass (now RH) RTP that was on the front wheel of the smooth tire wheelset. The Contact Speed is about 1000x easier to deal with than the RTP when it comes to mounting and removal. Still a fast rolling tire, too!

Otto
Old 05-16-21, 06:42 PM
kengrubb

Bikes: 1986 Schwinn World, 2007 Kona Dew

Liked 12 Times in 7 Posts

Rivnuts
Likes For kengrubb:
Old 05-17-21, 02:49 AM
Lazyass

^^ Genius, never considered that.
Old 05-17-21, 10:22 AM
kengrubb

Originally Posted by Lazyass
^^ Genius, never considered that.
I got the idea from RJ.

Likes For kengrubb:
Old 05-17-21, 11:25 AM
Senrab62 
It's the little things

Bikes: Too many, yet not enough

Quoted: 279 Post(s)
Liked 326 Times in 147 Posts
Rj

Originally Posted by kengrubb
I got the idea from RJ.

https://youtu.be/qNLo2rIw5M8

Love RJ. My go to for visual/conceptual understanding for basic/vintage bicycle mechanics.
Old 05-17-21, 12:32 PM
Senrab62 
It's the little things

Brake mount solution

Bit the bullet:

Cleaner and don't have to feel fork flex/damage while trying to slow. Expensive, but beautifully machined.
Likes For Senrab62:
Old 05-17-21, 01:54 PM
kengrubb

Originally Posted by Senrab62
Love RJ. My go to for visual/conceptual understanding for basic/vintage bicycle mechanics.
When I first thought about this, I was wondering, "How am I going to get this centered on the tube?" His sheet of paper centering tool? Genius.
Likes For kengrubb:
Old 05-17-21, 06:12 PM
ethet 
Catastrophe Merchant

Bikes: Keirin and a Steamroller

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 58 Posts
Originally Posted by Senrab62
Bit the bullet:

Cleaner and don't have to feel fork flex/damage while trying to slow. Expensive, but beautifully machined.
Whoa! Please let us know how the installation goes... I am passionately interested in tire clearances with this in a keirin fork. Super dope, yo!

Last edited by ethet; 05-17-21 at 10:03 PM.
Likes For ethet:
Old 05-17-21, 09:41 PM
Senrab62 
It's the little things

Originally Posted by ethet
Whoa! Please let us know how the installation goes... I am passionately interested in tire clearances with this in a keirin frame. Super dope, yo!
Excited as well. This will be run with tubulars, so clearance should be sufficient. Hopefully will have this installed in time for my 40th birthday 40 miles fixed gear ride in a couple weeks. Hoping to ride that bike for that ride. Will update my thread or ss/fg thread with pics/thoughts.

It is truly a thing of beauty. Hopefully clearance is a non issue, and will work as designed. Wish me luck! 🤞🏾
Likes For Senrab62:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.