Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Clinchers are BAACK

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Clinchers are BAACK

Old 04-03-21, 12:55 PM
popeye

Bikes: S works Tarmac, Felt TK2 track

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked 179 Times in 111 Posts
Clinchers are BAACK

VeloNews

Deceuninck-Quick-Step to race the Tour of Flanders on clinchers

Deceuninck-Quick-Step will race on clincher tires at Sunday’s Tour of Flanders.

Julian Alaphilippe and Co. will use Specialized clincher tires for the cobblestone monument after three years of increasingly using the system rather than the more commonly used tubular setup.

“After one ‘transition’ year of testing, and with already several years racing clinchers in TT as the fastest option, in 2021 we decided to move forward with clinchers for all types of racing,” said team technical and development manager Ricardo Scheidecker.

“Based on the data we have collected from extensive testing, we arrived to the level of being very comfortable with our choice knowing that we have the fastest setups, even for the demanding cobbled classics,” he continued. “Clinchers are part of the future in terms of performance and the combination with the new generation of Roval wheels is perfect. ”

After a recon of the cobbles Friday, the team has opted to use Roval Rapide CLX wheels with Specialized Turbo Cotton ‘Hell of the North” clinchers. The tires are 28mm wide and feature a 320TPI casing which Specialized states provides “a 15 percent improvement in damping over traditional clinchers, while shaving rolling resistance by 20 percent over other tires designed for rough roads.”

That means compared to gatorskins

Last edited by popeye; 04-03-21 at 12:59 PM. Reason: idiot
Likes For popeye:
Old 04-03-21, 01:01 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22570 Post(s)
Liked 8,918 Times in 4,152 Posts
Tubeless? I would suspect so.
Old 04-03-21, 01:07 PM
Lazyass

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 2432 Post(s)
Liked 638 Times in 395 Posts
Originally Posted by datlas
I do not think the Turbo Cotton's are tubeless tires. They're open tubulars but they say nothing about being tubeless compatible. They're actually the same 320tpi tire as the Turbo tubular version except they have a bead to use on a clincher rim instead of being sewn together. I'm sure the team mechanic is happy.
Old 04-03-21, 01:08 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22570 Post(s)
Liked 8,918 Times in 4,152 Posts
Originally Posted by Lazyass
I do not think the Turbo Cotton's are tubeless tires. They're open tubulars but they say nothing about being tubeless compatible. They're actually the same tire as the Turbo tubular version except they have a bead to use on a clincher rim.
Interesting. I would have suspected they would want tubeless to prevent pinch flats. Especially on cobbles.
Old 04-03-21, 01:16 PM
Lazyass

Interesting. I would have suspected they would want tubeless to prevent pinch flats. Especially on cobbles.
They can still have sealant in the tube. Just squirt it through the valve. I do the same thing with tubulars. I'd rather have that setup than a tubeless tire. My experience in setting up tubeless tires still gives me nightmares.
Likes For Lazyass:
Old 04-03-21, 03:25 PM
dmanthree

Bikes: Garmin/Tacx Bike Smart

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 646 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 191 Posts
Those are tubed tires. I wonder if they were worried about breaking the bead as much as pinch flats? Just a guess...
Old 04-03-21, 03:27 PM
dmanthree

They can still have sealant in the tube. Just squirt it through the valve. I do the same thing with tubulars. I'd rather have that setup than a tubeless tire. My experience in setting up tubeless tires still gives me nightmares.
I had issues with them, as well. But isn't there some new system that allows for easier mounting now? Rims with special hooked beads that obviate the need for special inflation devices to seat them?
Old 04-03-21, 03:36 PM
colnago62

Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 412 Times in 230 Posts
Originally Posted by dmanthree
I had issues with them, as well. But isn't there some new system that allows for easier mounting now? Rims with special hooked beads that obviate the need for special inflation devices to seat them?
Some rim manufacturers, Zipp and Enve for example, have developed hookless rims. I don’t know much about them, though.
Old 04-03-21, 03:50 PM
Lazyass

Just trying to mount the tire, not to mention remove, can be an unforgettable experience. They can be so tight it should be criminal.
Old 04-03-21, 05:15 PM
DaveSSS 

Bikes: Cinelli superstar disc, two Yoeleo R12

Quoted: 1096 Post(s)
Liked 559 Times in 446 Posts
I had no problems at all installing my mivhelin 28mm tubeless tires on 19mm internal width fulcrum racing 3 wheels. I've also practiced breaking
a bead to install a tube, if needed to fix a cut tire. No problems.
Old 04-03-21, 05:18 PM
Hapsmo911

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 18 Posts
This is madness! I am predicting DNF for the entire team! Next they will be riding rim brakes!!! The horor!!!!
Old 04-03-21, 05:21 PM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,279 Times in 739 Posts
This is what I have used for 3 yrs. No flats. No issues.

Likes For bruce19:
Old 04-03-21, 05:31 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Just trying to mount the tire, not to mention remove, can be an unforgettable experience. They can be so tight it should be criminal.
And getting out of a clipless pedal!!
Old 04-03-21, 07:30 PM
surak

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Canyon Inflite AL SLX, Ibis Ripley AF, Priority Continuum Onyx, Santana Vision, Kent Dual-Drive Tandem

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 871 Post(s)
Liked 726 Times in 436 Posts
You know the saying, tight tubeless ready tires are criminal, and only criminals have bead jacks.
Likes For surak:
Old 04-03-21, 07:45 PM
Kimmo 
bike whisperer

Bikes: https://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=152015&p=1404231

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1523 Post(s)
Liked 716 Times in 508 Posts
Pros on cobbles, on clinchers. WTF...

I guess the mechanics have a strong union.
Old 04-03-21, 09:01 PM
Hiro11

Bikes: 2022 Specialized Allez Sprint custom build, 2019 Giant Defy Advanced Pro 0, 2018 Seven Mudhoney Pro custom build, 2017 Raleigh Stuntman, various others

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 782 Post(s)
Liked 475 Times in 238 Posts
It's bizarre that the new Rovals are not tubeless-ready.

I suspect within five years all pro teams will be on tubeless, likely with some type of CushCore-type insert like Vittoria makes.
Old 04-03-21, 09:55 PM
znomit
Zoom zoom zoom zoom bonk

Bikes: Giant Defy, Trek 1.7c, BMC GF02, Fuji Tahoe, Scott Sub 35, Kona Rove, Trek Verve+2

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 722 Times in 366 Posts
How much do Specy pay them?
Likes For znomit:
Old 04-04-21, 10:38 AM
surak

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Canyon Inflite AL SLX, Ibis Ripley AF, Priority Continuum Onyx, Santana Vision, Kent Dual-Drive Tandem

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 871 Post(s)
Liked 726 Times in 436 Posts
Originally Posted by Hapsmo911
This is madness! I am predicting DNF for the entire team! Next they will be riding rim brakes!!! The horor!!!!
Nailed it!
Spoiler

Last edited by surak; 04-04-21 at 10:42 AM.
Old 04-05-21, 11:13 AM
popeye

OH the horror.

The Tour of Flanders was won on tubed clinchers

I'm warning you, rim brakes are next.
Likes For popeye:
Old 04-05-21, 11:49 AM
dmanthree

Originally Posted by -
OH the horror.

The Tour of Flanders was won on tubed clinchers

I'm warning you, rim brakes are next.
I guess those professional riders and mechanics haven't ben keeping up with this forum. The fools.

:-)
Old 04-06-21, 11:20 AM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1440 Post(s)
Liked 708 Times in 362 Posts

I’ve ridden both the Tour of Flanders, and the Paris Roubaix courses. The cobbles on Flanders are really not that big of pinch flat concern. They’re slippery and a bit bumpy but really not that rough.

Paris Roubaix is a different beast, with some of the cobbled sections extremely rough. Hell, the arenberg forest is just a series of boulders and mud holes between them. Calling some of the Paris Roubaix sections cobbled does the word cobbled a disservice.

Thus when the postponed Paris Roubaix is run, I wonder whether they’ll still use this setup
Thus, I wonder whether they’ll use
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.
Old 04-06-21, 11:31 AM
smashndash

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Allez Sprint Comp

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 850 Post(s)
Liked 344 Times in 247 Posts
Originally Posted by merlinextraligh
Thus when the postponed Paris Roubaix is run, I wonder whether they’ll still use this setup
Thus, I wonder whether they’ll use
https://www.specialized.com/us/en/tu...north/p/184050

The 28mm Turbo Cotton is called "Hell of the North" and claims to be designed for Paris-Roubaix. But it's based on the tubular with the same name. I won't be shocked if Specialized busts out the CLX 50 tubulars for that race.
Old 04-07-21, 09:36 AM
popeye

Originally Posted by smashndash
https://www.specialized.com/us/en/tu...north/p/184050

The 28mm Turbo Cotton is called "Hell of the North" and claims to be designed for Paris-Roubaix. But it's based on the tubular with the same name. I won't be shocked if Specialized busts out the CLX 50 tubulars for that race.
"Specialized and Roval have gone all-in with a move away from tubular technology"

"The optimal clincher setup generally tests faster than tubulars in rolling resistance tests, but for years pro teams worried about the inability to ride a clincher flat, an issue when a rider flats and the team car is a ways off. Tubeless tires ran into similar resistance, but are gaining acceptance.

Specialized-sponsored teams are unique at the moment in their experimentation with the lowly clincher (in road race events), the type of tire and tube system used by the vast majority of amateurs that until a few years ago was rarely seen in the pro ranks. We recently had a deep dive conversation with members of the Deceuninck-Quickstep team and Roval engineering about these decisions."
Old 04-07-21, 11:16 AM
Hiro11

Bikes: 2022 Specialized Allez Sprint custom build, 2019 Giant Defy Advanced Pro 0, 2018 Seven Mudhoney Pro custom build, 2017 Raleigh Stuntman, various others

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 782 Post(s)
Liked 475 Times in 238 Posts
Originally Posted by popeye
"The optimal clincher setup generally tests faster than tubulars in rolling resistance tests, but for years pro teams worried about the inability to ride a clincher flat, an issue when a rider flats and the team car is a ways off. Tubeless tires ran into similar resistance, but are gaining acceptance.
As I said above, I have no idea why Specialized made the new Rovals non-tubeless-ready. That automatically is a deal killer for many buyers.

Secondly, I have no idea why pro teams are wavering on tubeless. If you have a tire setup that provably lowers both rolling resistance and the chance of flatting, why would you not want that? Also, as tubeless reduces the likelihood of flats fairly dramatically, the whole "you can't ride a flat on clinchers" idea is less of an issue than it would be with non-tubeless tires. Also, tubeless tire beads are far tighter than non-tubeless clincher beads which seems to lessen that possibility. I chalk all of this up to pro teams being too hidebound and tradition-bound to move to tubeless.

Specialized-sponsored teams are unique at the moment in their experimentation with the lowly clincher (in road race events), the type of tire and tube system used by the vast majority of amateurs that until a few years ago was rarely seen in the pro ranks. We recently had a deep dive conversation with members of the Deceuninck-Quickstep team and Roval engineering about these decisions."
I listened to this podcast last week. There was no justification in it for not just going to tubeless. Also, the DQS guys talked a lot without saying anything.
Old 04-07-21, 11:24 AM
deacon mark

Bikes: Habanero Titanium Team Nuevo

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 399 Post(s)
Liked 185 Times in 121 Posts
Most riders I know and some on rec.tech.bicycles do not ride tubeless tires. I had posted a poll on it but had it removed due to some strong comments. For myself I cannot at all see tubeless being better for pure road riding. Disk brakes make sense in situations but no always better. We are not pros so have to come up with a compromise. I can ride my tube conti pg5000 at a comfortable pressure 90-95psi rear. If I was screeming down a long descent I would rather have disk due to my poor descending skills.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.