Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

I hate gaspipe frames, but....

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

I hate gaspipe frames, but....

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-21, 09:06 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6200 Post(s)
Liked 4,204 Times in 2,358 Posts
Originally Posted by randyjawa
The OP certainly has a right to his opinion and in choosing what he wants to hate (pretty strong word). In my opinion, there is nothing wrong with "gas pipe" frame bicycles. First of all, there is not a bike on Earth made out of gas pipe. I doubt that many Bike Forum members even know what gas pipe is.

Gas pipe is for moving flammable gas and is darn sturdy stuff. Pick up a piece of black iron pipe (ordinary pipe), or high tensile steel pipe and then pick up a similar sized piece of gas pipe. The gas pipe is twice as heavy, thanks to a much thicker wall. Many, if not most, entry level vintage bicycles are made from high tensile tubes and do sport lugs...

Lower end bikes are, generally, more comfortable to ride for the average, or even skilled, rider. The geometry is more relaxed than that of most higher end higher performance bikes. I do not say that based on what I have read or heard others say. I base that opinion on personal experience. I have found, restored and ridden dozens of high end, exotic tubed, name brand lugged/drops bicycles...

And, I have found, restored and ridden just as many lower end steeds...

Make no mistake, I would not turn my nose up at finding, restoring and riding another high ender but I will no longer be fooled by the hype that surrounds them...

Anyone who hates this bike is, in my mind, being unfair. Ride it and then tell me what a dog it is. You just might reconsider your opinion about less exotic steeds...

All that said, I do respect the opinions of others, even though I might disagree with the other guy's or gal's.
You have an odd definition of “low end bikes”. None of yours are. The Atala seems to be sporting a Campy rear derailer. My objections isn’t to the bicycle but the classification of what appears to be a fairly good bike as a piece of junk. I’m no fan of vintage steel but I not a fan of denigrating a bike just because it’s old.

There are a lot of bikes that people here and elsewhere go gaga for which aren’t worth the time of day. There’s others that people pass over because they just don’t know what they have.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Last edited by cyccommute; 04-04-21 at 09:10 PM.
Old 04-05-21, 12:39 AM
randyjawa 

Bikes: 1958 Rabeneick 120D, 1968 Legnano Gran Premio, 196? Torpado Professional, 2000 Marinoni Piuma

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1372 Post(s)
Liked 1,749 Times in 937 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
You have an odd definition of “low end bikes”. None of yours are. The Atala seems to be sporting a Campy rear derailer. My objections isn’t to the bicycle but the classification of what appears to be a fairly good bike as a piece of junk. I’m no fan of vintage steel but I not a fan of denigrating a bike just because it’s old.

There are a lot of bikes that people here and elsewhere go gaga for which aren’t worth the time of day. There’s others that people pass over because they just don’t know what they have.
Perhaps, I was unclear in my explanation.

The Atala is an example of the kind of high end bikes that I have found, built up and ridden. The one in the example is a 1969 Atala Professional and full Campagnolo NR.

The Crome Torpado is not bottom of the line, it is a LUXE model, sort of mid level but not in the least bit exotic.

The grey Torpado, recently restored, is a bottom of the line late sixties or early seventies offering, that is built of unknown tubing.

I agree with you regarding some bikes presented. I do see a lot of bikes, displayed in Bike Forums threads, that I would not give a second look, however, their owners like them and that is good enough for me. With that in mind, I keep my thoughts to myself regarding their bikes to myself.

My biggest issue, which has been an issue with me every time I see it is calling a bike "gas pipe". To me that is an offensive and unwarranted term. And, I am not fond of the emotion "hate" regardless of what it refers to. But that is just me. Anyway, putting "gas pipe" and hate in the same sentence proved to be a bit much for my tender feelings to cope with. Perhaps I should have kept my feelings to myself regarding the statement.
Old 04-05-21, 09:31 AM
rustystrings61 

Bikes: 2002 Mercian Vincitore, 1982 Mercian Colorado, 1976 Puch Royal X, 1973 Raleigh Competition, 1971 Gitane Tour de France and others

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 823 Post(s)
Liked 1,395 Times in 694 Posts
Classic French bike built with unlabeled non-descript tubing, how's that? Some of them ride really well due to good geometry. Yours looks like a Jeunet 620, unlabeled tubing with brazed-on cable stops on the top tube, but very similar geometry to the 630, which was full 531 with plain Simplex ends that used cable clips for the rear brake cable. My favorite example of this sort of bike is my Liberia, which appears to be the very cheapest model they made, but tricked out with 27-in wheels for the U.S. market for that brief time during the bike boom when distributors were grabbing everything they could from regional and smaller makers to feed American demand. Mine started life as a $100 college campus bike sold out of a shop adjacent to the University of South Carolina. The tubing appears to have a wall thickness of around 1.0 to 1.1 mm, though, which isn't too shabby, and the geometry makes it corner like a much more expensive competitive bike. On paper, it shouldn't ride this well. Replacing the rusted-out Saminox steel rims with some old Weinmann alloy units helped.
Likes For rustystrings61:
Old 04-05-21, 10:54 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10947 Post(s)
Liked 7,474 Times in 4,181 Posts
Anyone- "good morning, cycco."

Cycco- "Is it a good morning? First of all, define good. And when measured against historical examples of mornings that were good, why do you quantitatively view this as an equal to those other mornings? Furthermore, is it even morning? We all know that the idea of time is a human construct and that the four dimensional spacetime continuum allows for equal value to be placed on that which has happened, is happening, and will happen. With that taken into consideration, is this even morning and if it is, is it really 'good'?"

Anyone-
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 04-05-21, 11:05 AM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 2,079 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
Anyone- "good morning, cycco."

Cycco- "Is it a good morning? First of all, define good. And when measured against historical examples of mornings that were good, why do you quantitatively view this as an equal to those other mornings? Furthermore, is it even morning? We all know that the idea of time is a human construct and that the four dimensional spacetime continuum allows for equal value to be placed on that which has happened, is happening, and will happen. With that taken into consideration, is this even morning and if it is, is it really 'good'?"

Anyone-

Old 04-05-21, 11:24 AM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 2,079 Posts
Originally Posted by rustystrings61
Classic French bike built with unlabeled non-descript tubing, how's that? Some of them ride really well due to good geometry. Yours looks like a Jeunet 620, unlabeled tubing with brazed-on cable stops on the top tube, but very similar geometry to the 630, which was full 531 with plain Simplex ends that used cable clips for the rear brake cable. My favorite example of this sort of bike is my Liberia, which appears to be the very cheapest model they made, but tricked out with 27-in wheels for the U.S. market for that brief time during the bike boom when distributors were grabbing everything they could from regional and smaller makers to feed American demand. Mine started life as a $100 college campus bike sold out of a shop adjacent to the University of South Carolina. The tubing appears to have a wall thickness of around 1.0 to 1.1 mm, though, which isn't too shabby, and the geometry makes it corner like a much more expensive competitive bike. On paper, it shouldn't ride this well. Replacing the rusted-out Saminox steel rims with some old Weinmann alloy units helped.
These classic French bikes tend to punch above their weight in terms of ride quality. There is a Jeunet like the OPs, a Franche Comte, on eBay at $500 which is a heck of a lot for this bike. But the pics are clear and show simplex drop outs. This could be similar to a Mercier 200 which has nice chrome, simplex drop outs and "lux tub" (hi tensile steel) tubing.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/c1974-Vinta...8AAOSw4LNgVoSy
Old 04-05-21, 05:37 PM
uncle uncle

Bikes: too many

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 411 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 140 Posts
(Sitting in the back row, munching popcorn.... waiting for the show.)
Likes For uncle uncle:
Old 04-06-21, 03:10 AM
gbi

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 40 Posts
Don't judge a book/bike by it's cover/tubeset.
This applies to entry-level AND top-level bikes!