Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Professional Cycling For the Fans
Reload this Page >

fantasy giro 2020 + general giro discussion

Notices
Professional Cycling For the Fans Follow the Tour de France,the Giro de Italia, the Spring Classics, or other professional cycling races? Here's your home...

fantasy giro 2020 + general giro discussion

Old 10-03-20, 05:32 AM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1626 Post(s)
Liked 3,112 Times in 1,682 Posts
had fleeting moments of points lust for rodriguez, hagen, konrad, lucas hamilton, clarke and tgh. fulling expecting all of them to put up 1,000+ points...

Last edited by diphthong; 10-03-20 at 06:03 AM.
Old 10-03-20, 05:33 AM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

quite a bit of drama early with campanaerts and dowsett.
Likes For diphthong:
Old 10-03-20, 06:58 AM
slcbob
bored of "Senior Member"

Bikes: Cross-Check/Nexus commuter. Several others for various forms of play.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 642 Post(s)
Liked 592 Times in 453 Posts
GrainBrain if you can do it in VG, it's legal. No extra regs there.

ooga-booga that "feature" was a recent surprise, not a decision factor. At least not this time around. Just my clean living paying off.

Speaking of that, I invested 3 PCS stars in Campanaerts. About 45 seconds into my Giro 2020 experience and I already see how this next three weeks is going to go. I could have sworn I put a star on Dowsett, too, but it turns out I did not and squandered one on the Rider of Rohan, instead. Not sure why. He really is dead to me after he threw a wobbly before the ITT a while back.
Old 10-03-20, 07:22 AM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

^have campanaerts on the giro team along with ganna and g. thomas. ganna just smashed it. teams still not visible in velogames.com. took g. thomas, dennis, campy and ganna in your game but
only gave ganna two stars.
Old 10-03-20, 10:40 AM
slcbob
bored of "Senior Member"

^ good googla moogla. Looking at our two teams, it's freakish how we injected the freak in similar fashion. It would have been even moreso if I had chosen Bilbao which I ever-so-closely almost did over Zakarin, but I decided the kms in Pello's legs were more of a downside than Ilnur's ability to ride off the side of the hill.

I see the big departure and fundamental difference behind the Huskies' strategy, though, aiming to hoover up all the Maglia Ciclimina (sp?) points with its the two heavyweights. Not a lot of sprints this edition but still a lot of points to be handed out. I shall have to hope my long shot Barbier can stick his finger in the dike to stop the flood (and/or Ulissi takes the jersey) with a placing or two, while our Simon diverts the course of the river and saves the day with overwhelming GC firepower.

BTW, did you know that:
a) deep fried Twinkies are a thing. No, really.
b) unbeknownst to me, they are still available
c) in keeping with our Giro motif, the Canadian overlord of golden sponge cake with a creamy filling is called Grupo Bimbo's Vachon, Inc. Again, really. I can't make up stuff this good. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twinkie
Old 10-03-20, 11:10 AM
GrainBrain

Bikes: LeMond Zurich, Giant Talon 29er

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1221 Post(s)
Liked 627 Times in 471 Posts
Yes I decided to check on the Giro early in the morning and sure enough was greeted to a photo of campaenerts with massive road rash and thought "ok." The day got better though with awesome Lawson's eighth place, just 22" down on G

Also Rohan finished the stage instead of getting "lost" somewhere on the road and driving off into the sunset in the team car. So there's that, at least I didn't pick Lopez, that just sounded terrible - hitting a bump right when he tried to shift.

I apologise for somehow not including Chad Haga or McNulty. Especially Haga, that was really something to watch last year.
Old 10-03-20, 02:02 PM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

Originally Posted by slcbob
We'll see in Rome!

I'm going with Ganna for pink. Or maybe Campanaerts. Or Dowsett. No, Ganna. G in 4th again but this time his Garmin will tell him so and help him stay in front of Bling.
good call on the ineos boys.
Old 10-03-20, 02:14 PM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

stage two...first names that stuck their feet in the door were that peter-something guy, m matthews and tales of brave ulissi. i'll take matthews for the win.
Old 10-03-20, 03:14 PM
slcbob
bored of "Senior Member"

Yeah, coin flip, we'll see if Sagan is still missing a gear. I will bite and say he distances Bling.

I further pick that my econo sprinter Barbier will get a top 10, and Ballerini who I would have picked if I had another two velobucks may get a top 5. If they don't, that bodes poorly for my prospects because it leaves too much on the table for y'all and those big guns.
Old 10-03-20, 03:29 PM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

some of us opted for the two sprinter approach which can occasionally pay dividends or have you seriously questioning the meaning of fantasy life.

anecdotally, it seems to me that the daze of sprinters pulling up stakes (famously, a la cipollini) before the mountains are largely a thing of the past and more appear
to be riding the entire gt (even with that perennial siren song of the worlds). unsure whether it's fewer directors/teams/sponsors catering to prima donnas,
the newish pro tour races/teams structure, increased specialization, better and realistic goal-setting, peer pressure or what.
Old 10-03-20, 04:23 PM
slcbob
bored of "Senior Member"

^ it doesn't hurt that there's a UCI rule that, after a withdrawal, you can't start a race before the finish of what you withdrew from. I don't know when that came along, but it's not super new. There are waivers for exceptional circumstances, most likely around injury/fate, certainly not for Cipo's whims or Rohan taking his TT bike and going home in a huff.

Concur. For so many reasons, they do seem more likely to endeavor to persevere.
Old 10-03-20, 06:39 PM
USAZorro
Señor Member

Bikes: Mostly English - predominantly Raleighs

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 1491 Post(s)
Liked 1,087 Times in 637 Posts
Originally Posted by ooga-booga
good call on the ineos boys.
Ain't gonna last. I'm not sold on Ganna long term, nor on the team Ineos has here. "Not their year" is going to continue.

Bodnar's performance (lack of) was disconcerting, but 20 more stages.

Last edited by USAZorro; 10-03-20 at 06:45 PM.
Old 10-03-20, 07:54 PM
slcbob
bored of "Senior Member"

Originally Posted by USAZorro
Ain't gonna last. I'm not sold on Ganna long term, nor on the team Ineos has here. "Not their year" is going to continue.

Bodnar's performance (lack of) was disconcerting, but 20 more stages.
Bodnar's performance was entirely predictable.

I'm not sold on Ganna long term, either. But with this course, I went for it. For my 6 Velobucks, I only want 500-700 points for 3xTT stage placings, plus the gravy of the assists for G's GC points. That lad is going to spend a lot of time in the wind. But I wouldn't be surprised if that exceeds Viviani's haul.

Yeah, I dunno about G. I almost went the Jakob, Wilco, Stejphjen route. But after bucking the trend for a while with mixed but mostly lousy results, I would up going with Britannia Uber Alles favorites plus a cast of characters and will hope the best for Taffy and our Simon.
Old 10-03-20, 08:08 PM
USAZorro
Señor Member

Bikes: Mostly English - predominantly Raleighs

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 1491 Post(s)
Liked 1,087 Times in 637 Posts
Originally Posted by slcbob
Bodnar's performance was entirely predictable.

I'm not sold on Ganna long term, either. But with this course, I went for it. For my 6 Velobucks, I only want 500-700 points for 3xTT stage placings, plus the gravy of the assists for G's GC points. That lad is going to spend a lot of time in the wind. But I wouldn't be surprised if that exceeds Viviani's haul.

Yeah, I dunno about G. I almost went the Jakob, Wilco, Stejphjen route. But after bucking the trend for a while with mixed but mostly lousy results, I would up going with Britannia Uber Alles favorites plus a cast of characters and will hope the best for Taffy and our Simon.
3 TT's? The organizers should be lined up against a wall. That's not a Grand Tour, that's a gift to contortionists.
Old 10-04-20, 08:38 AM
GrainBrain

Originally Posted by ooga-booga
stage two...first names that stuck their feet in the door were that peter-something guy, m matthews and tales of brave ulissi. i'll take matthews for the win.
Brave Ulissi - not your first choice here but your first choice there in VG. Oh I bet there's even points to be had for his now 10th place in GC. NiceWill Gaviria even compete or is he a leadout man now? Oh uphill finish, maybe I still have time...

Thankfully DeGendt brought me points. Him and Craddock might help me stay in the top five.

Last edited by GrainBrain; 10-04-20 at 08:49 AM.
Old 10-04-20, 09:36 AM
slcbob
bored of "Senior Member"

I can see not picking Almeida will be a thorn in my side. This was a first draft.

But it pales in comparison to the pain from popping my shoulder out by patting myself on the back for picking Ulissi and moving past Gaviria. I'm sure there will be some ups and downs and pain and joy to come.

Old 10-04-20, 09:46 AM
Flip Flop Rider

Bikes: 2010 Fuji Absolute 3.0 1994 Trek 850

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked 555 Times in 322 Posts
what am I missing. Picked the team, joined the league, but zero points on stage 1?

is there an activation button somewhere?
Old 10-04-20, 10:05 AM
slcbob
bored of "Senior Member"

Originally Posted by Flip Flop Rider
what am I missing. Picked the team, joined the league, but zero points on stage 1?

is there an activation button somewhere?
It looks like you did everything right, except pick some people who score points.

Unlucky for you and Lopez re Lopez.

You should break the goose egg today with Fuglsang 12th place and some assist points for Majka.

We've all been there.
Old 10-04-20, 10:28 AM
Flip Flop Rider

lol thanks man!!

I actually thought these were good picks!
Old 10-04-20, 11:29 AM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

nice win for tales of brave ullissi. he’s been a bridesmaid all too often this year. hoping he has a monster giro.

bummed about vlasov departing. thought he would torch the last week to keep fuglsang in contention or climb into contention himself. with both he and superman kicked out of the justice league, jakob’s path to dominating the giro got even more fraught with peril.

so much for dennis competing for the podium. lost 7 mins today. will have breakaway freedom should he go and maybe climbs back into the top ten at some point but thinking that’s pretty unlikely as long as gthomas stays relevant.

Last edited by diphthong; 10-05-20 at 01:18 AM.
Old 10-04-20, 12:44 PM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

*horrible predictions cont.* stage three...a little summit finish donnybrook up a 20 km climb onto an active volcano in the first week of a gt...one of many reasons i love the giro.
masnada, fuglsang, nibbles or yatesie? let's go with yatesie ftw.
Old 10-04-20, 02:18 PM
GrainBrain

Oof Ooga dishing out some pain only two stages in! Speaking of pain, what a formidable looking stage 3...

Couple thoughts. There's a lot of young'ins in this grand tour. There's also a considerable amount of Americans riding which I didn't realize until looking through the full results.

Stage 3 blind in the dark pick - what's that Ciccone been up to? Though Geraint being Geraint will maybe want to secure the pink jersey and stuff it down some naysayers throats eh?
Likes For GrainBrain:
Old 10-04-20, 02:36 PM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

^haha just wait until the last week when the sprinters are aboard the autobus whilst everyone else’s climbers are flying. team ysa’s balloon will deflate or get caught in power lines soon enuff.

might be too early for gthomas to want to take the pink jersey. he’ll obvs wanna finish in the top ten and not let any gc rivals gain too much if he can help it-and we’ll find out soon enuff if he’s got it-and keep the rivals easily within tt recovery but it’s total yatesie territory. i mean his broski disavowed riding for the gc in the tdf and voila! guess who’s in yellow? that was part of the reason for picking yatesie to win mañana and possibly take the pink. the other gc guys may be all too happy to let him defend it for a week. otoh, you might be right. i can def see gthomas taking the pink but letting it (and a inconsequential breakaway) go in the next stage or two.

Last edited by diphthong; 10-04-20 at 02:49 PM.
Old 10-04-20, 02:42 PM
Flip Flop Rider

Lopez is out??? wrecked on the TT, wow

replace? what say you guys
Old 10-04-20, 02:57 PM
slcbob
bored of "Senior Member"

Originally Posted by Flip Flop Rider
lol thanks man!!

I actually thought these were good picks!
We all do at some point. Then the road offers its opinion.

They still may be good picks. It's a long way to Rome. And we better be glad it is, because there is a lot of yellow snow to make our way through.

Interesting picks throughout the league. We should see some ebb and flow. Perhaps some tomorrow.

Our Simon has already been picked, so I'll just leave it at saying we may see the air leak out of the hopes of some GC hopeful(s) tomorrow. The riders, and their fantasy DSs here. We live in interesting times.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.